Page 76 of 91 FirstFirst ... 26667174757677788186 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1809

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

[x] Stay in the shelter until daybreak.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Stay in the shelter until daybreak.

In the end, there was really no good choice to be had. They could head off into the cold, rainy night, trusting that no one would ambush them when they used their wands to light the way, or they could stay in the room and catch what sleep they could, while hoping that no one would come up and check on what was happening on the surface, in case this hollowed rock happened to be some kind of crude equivalent of a refrigerator.

Shinji, unnerved by the smoke and what it could mean, argued that they should leave as soon as possible - that they should not wait for whatever fate might be coming for them. Selina, however, disagreed, stating that as neither of them were well rested, or had any idea what awaited them outside, they should at least wait for first light, so their wands wouldn't draw the attention of every even slightly curious creature in the area.

"...we'll do it your way," the boy agreed, deferring to the blonde's greater experience in such matters - though not to her proposal that she take watch while he slept. Instead, he insisted that he would be fine, and said he could simply wait for first light with her, as three wands were better than one. "And about the fire?"

"We can bank that, so we don't cripple our night vision," Selina said decisively. "We will have to huddle against each other to stay warm though, if you're fine with that."

"I, uh, yes," Shinji agreed quickly. Perhaps too quickly, leading to him receiving a look from Selina. "I mean, that sounds like a good idea."

It wasn't as if he was happy to have the chance to share the warmth of a pretty girl. He was just happy she was taking the danger seriously, and didn't mind doing what was necessary.

And so they banked the fire, huddling together on the wall opposite the entrance, wrapped in robes, with their wands ready and waiting for any threats to their safety.

Because they were ready, vigilant for any threat, the pack of gytrashes that came upon them towards the end of the night was dealt with easily enough, with Shinji and Selina using pulses of the wand-lighting spell, Lumos, to dispel them.

Nothing else of note happened that night, except that some time during it, the smoke stopped.

First light has come. What is the duo's next move?

[ ] Head to the copse of trees before the fog sets in, and see if they can find what happened to Ernie
    [ ] Get a head start towards the town in the distance, while they can see
    [ ] Wait for the fog - if they can't see very far, no doubt everything else will be disadvantaged too
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Smooth. Shinji. Smooth.

At least he doing a million times better in the smooth department that Ernie would have in his place. Course I can attribute what little smoothness of Shinji to the fact that Selina is not Senpai.

[x] Get a head start towards the town in the distance, while they can see

I want to get away from this place ASAP. Cover of fog might be better but see creatures and possible trolls hunt with more than just eyesight. Frankly I think Shinji-Selina are still more handicapped by the fog than threats around them are. So leave now before things wake up after eating a nice dinner of Ernie.

Blog Entries
    [x] Get a head start towards the town in the distance, while they can see.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

In the morning, they departed, heading towards the village which was allegedly only an hour away by broom, but which, on foot, seemed like some ever-distant utopia that they could walk and walk and walk towards, yet never reach. They had gone for about an hour before the mists rolled in, in the meantime managing to swing by the copse of trees where they found some delicious looking berries.

[ ] Pick the fruit - they need something to keep them going
    [ ] Don't pick the fruit - with the way things are going, these will be poisonous

Continuing on from there, they eventually reach the edge of a sunken bog, with the compass pointing for them to continue through it if they wanted to reach the village. On the other hand, such a place was likely filled with insects and other dangerous creatures, and Shinji didn't really think the village was hidden in the bog. They could cut through it, or they could skirt the edges, though the latter option was likely to add a good deal of travel time...

What does Shinji do?

[ ] Cut through it
    [ ] Skirt around it
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

RIP Ernie, he got cucked

[X] Don't pick the fruit - with the way things are going, these will be poisonous
    [X] Cut through it

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter View Post
    RIP Ernie, he got cucked
    It's not like she and Ernie were dating or that she was particularly interested in him. He was someone who was just curious about her world!

[X] Pick the fruit - they need something to keep them going
    [X] Skirt around it

You have got to eat something. Casting magic takes energy and that energy has to come from somewhere. Wizards likely have high metabolisms. I don't think we should be paranoid by everything.

You should not blindly follow the compass at all times. Two 11yrs are not equipped for walking in a bog. A direct route might not be the fastest if they get...ah...bogged down. (I hate myself for that one) Honestly I think skirting around it shows Quirrell more about your intelligence then if you stubbornly followed the compass no matter what.

Blog Entries
    [x] Pick the fruit - they need something to keep them going.
    [x] Skirt around it.

Nvm, misread the village being inside the bog.
    Last edited by Daiki; September 23rd, 2018 at 10:11 PM.

[X] Skirt around it

You know Daiki, a swamp is more than just monsters.

Being waist deep in mud and bad water is not what I call a good time. There are leeches and frankly you can get stuck in this environment. They are not equipped for this terrain. Go around it. Please.

Shinji and Selina are not badasses that should take risks when they do not need to.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; September 23rd, 2018 at 09:19 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Skirt around it

In the end, they chose not to enter the bog, as the terrain was none too friendly - and who knew what could lurk under the water. It was bad enough to not be able to see very far in front of one's face - to not be certain what one would be stepping into would be even worse. From the strange sounds emanating from the bog, the cries of animals and the sound of heavy steps, perhaps they were right to go about it, though none of them knew how much time it would add to their journey.

They walked onwards, with the mist obscuring any true sense of the passage of time, continuing on and on, until they nearly stumbled across a troll...or at least, the blasted ruin of what had once been a troll, with great spikes of ice protruding from every orifice, and blood pooling on the ground around it.

What do they do?

[ ] Call out - someone killed a troll - with magic - that means another wizard's about, right?
    [ ] Scavenge what they can from the corpse - maybe there are supplies?
    [ ] Detour around the corpse - best not to stick around, in case something comes back for it
    [ ] Examine the ground near the corpse for any sign of the tracks of its killer

[X] Examine the ground near the corpse for any sign of the tracks of its killer

[X] Detour around the corpse - best not to stick around, in case something comes back for it

It is a dead troll...what loot could it possible have plus anything sized for a troll is not useable to our team.

Call out...ha! Great idea! First rule of Q Paranoia, do not assume that something is friendly and kind unless you have evidence first confirming it. All they knew is that something hates this troll. A lot.

Exam the ground for tracks. Logical if this team had someone that was a Ranger. But Selina and Shinji are not rangers and are not experts in studying tracks. They would have to take a lot of time to find and pinpoint tracks...time that would allow for something to find them. No thank you. I leave track finding to the experts, which two 11yrs are not.

Detour around: Sure it might make us miss out in loot or a clue but you know what it does do? It stops us from risking our lives on some damn fool idea. Whatever killed this troll is not something they want to have a run in with so best to move quickly away from this area.

Blog Entries
    Most likely the same Shaman Troll, that altered the weather and killed Ernie, did that. Likely a kindred argument that ended up poorly.

[x] Detour around the corpse - best not to stick around, in case something comes back for it.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Detour around the corpse - best not to stick around, in case something comes back for it.

If there was one thing that Matou Shinji had learned over this entire year of dealing with Quirrell's scenarios, it was that the old adage that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" was not always accurate. That was, the enemy of his enemy was his enemy's enemy - no more, and no less. Presuming otherwise in this place was not only naive, but foolish.

Yes - something killed this troll with what seemed like great ease, speaking of the power of the troll's enemy, but that was no reason to assume that whatever had done this was necessarily friendly to practitioners of witchcraft - or in general, to intruders.

"Let's not stick around," Shinji whispered to Selina, with the blonde only nodding. They continued on for a time, before coming across another mangled troll corpse, killed in much the same fashion.

"Huh," Shinji grunted.

"Huh, indeed," Selina agreed. "Any ideas?"

[ ] Continue following the edge of the swamp
    [ ] Cut through the swamp - better to risk the inconveniences of nature than whatever is killing these trolls
    [ ] ...maybe they could skin the troll and use its hide as camouflage / to disguise their scent?
    [ ] Draw the enchanted knife as they move

[ ] Continue following the edge of the swamp
    [ ] Cut through the swamp - better to risk the inconveniences of nature than whatever is killing these trolls
    [ ] ...maybe they could skin the troll and use its hide as camouflage / to disguise their scent?
    [ ] Draw the enchanted knife as they move

Wait...let me get this straight.

They are thinking that they should use the dead Troll to hide their scent when there is something out there hunting Trolls? That seems rather stupid as whatever it is, seems to hate these trolls. The last thing you want to do if the hunter-killer is friendly is to be mistaken for a troll.

I guess at best this option is masking their own scent with a dead troll scent, so that whatever smells them would smell dead troll and move on. But that seems like a leap of logic to me. I don't think they have the time or the skill to do this whatsoever. Cool idea thought.

Isn't the draw the knife as they move a given. Like what the hell are they doing if not paying attention to that feature?

[X] Draw the enchanted knife as they move.

My theory here is we have two tribes, one of normal trolls who live in Swamp/bog, and another tribe containing the ice magic using hunters that are eliminating the trolls that cross into their border.

[X] Draw the enchanted knife as they move

Blog Entries
    [x] Draw the enchanted knife as they move.