Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 135358616263
Results 1,241 to 1,247 of 1247

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

A minor quibble (not that I'm trying to tell you what the term means in your story, just the Potterverse): apparently, halfblood refers to any witch or wizard with muggle or muggle-born parents or grandparents, meaning that Draco's kids would be halfbloods, but their children would be purebloods. That said, I had to look that up; I had been under the mistaken impression that once you let filthy muggle blood into your family, your line of descent would forever be tainted.

(On second thought, this is a terrible idea, but) [X] Amber

C'mon, she's been trying to help us with our night terrors for a while now, and we could really use the help, but Shinji would never ask. This is a perfect opportunity to either get that help or beef up our Occlumency, and I think we should take it.
    Last edited by apsalar; July 13th, 2018 at 03:17 AM.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    A minor quibble (not that I'm trying to tell you what the term means in your story, just the Potterverse): apparently, halfblood refers to any witch or wizard with muggle or muggle-born parents or grandparents, meaning that Draco's kids would be halfbloods, but their children would be purebloods. That said, I had to look that up; I had been under the mistaken impression that once you let filthy muggle blood into your family, your line of descent would forever be tainted.
    Ah right. I'd remembered that muggle grandparents would still let someone count as half-blood (since at least one of your parents would be Muggleborn, presumably), but I'd forgotten that having Muggleborn grandparents also made someone a halfblood. Still, with half-bloods being the most common type of wizard in Britain these days, hard to be picky. Wizarding blood purity here is less about "one drop makes you impure" thing, really, and more like who actually "belongs" to a small rural town. First generation - you'll be known as the outsiders, with odd beliefs and traditions. Your children, more accepted, assuming they work to blend in. Their children, mostly blended in. The children of those children - fully members of town (pureblood).
    "The palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise." - Thomas Paine

That's a pretty good analogy. And regardless, the "purity" of the Malfoy bloodline would be restored after merely one generation. That's probably a pretty small price to pay for absorbing the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    'On second thought, this might be a terrible idea,' Shinji reflected. 'At least the part about practicing with blades while Amber or Phelan can read my mind. They've both already trained in this kind of thing for years, and I...well, haven't.'

Even without the advantage of being able to tell what moves he was about to make, they would thrash him if they came at him at all seriously.

'No. We should do something where we're probably more even in skill. Something none of us are that familiar with...'

Something like...

Magical Dueling. Since his new cottage was registered as a magical residence with the Ministry, with a house elf on the premises explaining away any odd magical use detected by the Trace, and there was an area in the basement that would be useful for dueling, that might actually work...

But what would be the best way to practice Occlumency while fighting be?

[ ] 2 v 1 - He and Phelan team up against Amber (who would be wearing his glasses)
    [ ] 1 v 1 v 1 - Free for all (with Amber wearing the glasses)
    [ ] A series of 1 v 1 training bouts, with everyone switching off who uses the glasses
    [ ] Have Phelan put on the glasses and dare the others to do their best to hit him with magic
    [ ] (write-in)
    "The palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise." - Thomas Paine

[X] 2 v 1 - He and Phelan team up against Amber (who would be wearing his glasses)

I could also do the series of 1v1 but 2v1 here forces Teamwork from Phelan and Shinji or it quickly turns to just a 1v1 match when she takes out Phelan when she reads his stupid risky plan from his head. Really to me, this plan allows for Shinji to test his mental defenses but also fighting an enemy that has an advantage over you.

Plus the simple fact that trying to work with Phelan is already hard to do but is also risky since he would likely be a leak source of whatever plan they come up with. Unless Shinji knowly uses that, to come up with a fake plan to tell Phelan and rely on Amber reading it from Phelan, only to surprise her. It might not work in the end, but it is likely his best shot against her.

I am just gonna also state for the record, how annoyed I am that I had one hope for this break with the Twins IE Learn how to use a sword, and we seemed to wanted to do that but when push comes to shove, we never block actual time to the activity. Its like people think he will simply learn the skill just by having training equipment, without spending time on it. It's rather annoying to me.

リビングデッド Living Dead
    [X] 2 v 1 - He and Phelan team up against Amber (who would be wearing his glasses)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    I am just gonna also state for the record, how annoyed I am that I had one hope for this break with the Twins IE Learn how to use a sword, and we seemed to wanted to do that but when push comes to shove, we never block actual time to the activity. Its like people think he will simply learn the skill just by having training equipment, without spending time on it. It's rather annoying to me.
    While shiny things can be fun and enticing, what is necessary if you want to build a certain skill is a bit of focus.