Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Beast's Lair Fanfic Contest (2018 Edition) (Discussion Thread)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Oh, boy. Reading some of the threads for the earlier contests, I can see why we don't have as much discussion going on compared to those years.

Blog Entries
    cause there's only fic worth reading this year?
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    mike?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Unban Chris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    cause there's only fic worth reading this year?
    No, no. What I meant was "Considering all the drama from the earlier years, it makes sense there isn't as much discussion going on nowadays - people probably don't want a repeat of that".
    I should probably have worded that in a less roundabout manner.

Blog Entries
    Yes the previous years were certainly a little more crazy but there are a wide variety of reasons for that some of which apply to the forum as a whole. Granted I know I was not helping things this year by simply trying to repeat the contest of the previous year. I am going to be taking a hard look at these contests in order to think about what needs to be done if they are to be viable in the future.

Regardless we did get at least one good fic in Alter so I will not consider this contest a waste. The goal has always been to give people a chance to improve their writing either by writing a story they want to see or through the constructive criticism of the judges. I hope that those who did not perform so well will take the advice that Irun, Alf, Darkpulse, and You have given in the hopes that next year you can be the next Alter.

Congratulations to Alter for your first place win, I'll be pming you about the prize and you can choose to reveal yourself if you so desire. For the Sorrow of Kings and Future's End I will also contact you about your prizes. It is true that we did not really get enough entries to make the rewards hard fought but a promise is a promise, be proud of the fics that you did and learn from them in the future.

Well, I'm probably being selfish here, but I'd appreciate more participation from observers (and from the judges as well, even after their scores are posted). The main draw of the contest for me is to have my work critiqued, after all!

- - - Updated - - -

That doesn't mean I don't want my prize, though. :-P

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for running the contest again Milbunk!

I ended up being a bit of a stealth entry, but I was the one who wrote Alter. Thank you everyone for your kind words about my piece, I'm glad it was so well received. Alter came about because I decided I needed to try writing something Saber-focused, and in the end I was really happy with what came out of it, so I'm glad you guys were able to enjoy it as well. I have some mixed feelings about getting the exact same score as last year (??!!?!), but in the end I knew improving from there wasn't a very realistic goal, so I can't be too upset :P

I didn't really want to post anything before the judges finished since it would pretty obviously indicate which entry was mine, so I wrote all my comments down and saved them in a notepad file until the contest was over. Considering the...results of the contest though, I feel like it would be in bad taste for me to just post reviews of the other fics, so instead what I'll say is if any of the other entrants wants my comments on their work, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my review.

As for the prize, I don't play Grand Order anymore and I'm not involved with any other gacha games, so I've got some thinking to do about what to do about the prize. I'll think of something I guess.

Thanks again to Milbunk for running the contest, and thank you to the judges for your time in reviewing the entries. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who considers your input an invaluable service.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Good job whoever wrote Alter
    you did a damn better job than ufotable and whoever wrote the script for the HF movie for that scene
    Not going to lie, my biggest concern when writing this was that I hadn't seen the HF movie yet and I was worried they were going to write a scene describing this event into it, making my story basically obsolete. When I saw what they did though...I guess baffled is a good word to describe how I felt? I mean, I guess there is still room for them to expand on it in the later movies, but...at the very least, I don't regret writing this lol.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Ask for $40 worth of chocolate imo

Also omedetou, you did good work, I'm reminded that Saber is in fact, Good, underneath all of the Neo-TM grime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

...Wait, I lost to TwilightsCall again?
    So, apropos of nothing, Twilights, how do you feel about oaths of blood vengeance? :-P
    Seriously, though, please send me your review! You can PM it to me or post it here, I don't mind.

And d'oh, can't believe I forgot to thank Milbunk too! Thanks, Milbunk! Your efforts in running this contest are much appreciated (even more now that I've seen some of what used to happen).

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Ask for $40 worth of chocolate imo
    This is not a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    ...Wait, I lost to TwilightsCall again?
    So, apropos of nothing, Twilights, how do you feel about oaths of blood vengeance? :-P
    Spoiler:

My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

不死 Undead
    Ah, it's over.

I was working on a piece for the contest but I had some shitty IRL stuff come up.

Congrats to Alter!

Quote Originally Posted by Levnekov View Post
    Ah, it's over.

I was working on a piece for the contest but I had some shitty IRL stuff come up.
    If you ever want to finish and post it, Levnekov, I think we'd all be interested in reading it. :-)

不死 Undead
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    If you ever want to finish and post it, Levnekov, I think we'd all be interested in reading it. :-)
    Probably isn't my best work TBH. Plenty of pretentiousness in the rough draft when I originally focused on a concept - not exactly coherent either.

also feel guilty posting it instead of working on my main fic