Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my video about fate.

Help with my video about fate.

I've been doing a LOT of research on the fate franchise, playing the games, reading up translations and salting myself up in grand order for a series of videos about the servants in fate. I've had a lot of problems with recent fate/videos where they try to substitute stuff that's been established by nasu in his cannon/stories with real world stuff or them not having a good grasp of the concept of the series.

So I wanted to try my hand at it.

I've spent the past few weeks digging through translations and gamestrying to make an overview of the holy grail wars.

But I'm still not confident with what I've made, so I'd like to ask you guys if you were a new fate fan or a fate fan who wants to know more, is my current writing enough to get you a decent understanding of the grail war?

Here it is, I'm more than willing to accept corrections, advice and ideas.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Most of the resources I've checked are in the TMdictionary, chaldeum, tsukikan and translations of fate/complete material. I use the typemoon wiki to point me in the right direction but the lack of sources is a bit off putting. Which... are all very cluttered sources. Here's what I got so far.
    Last edited by the_flying_toaster; January 10th, 2018 at 03:49 PM.

US Friend Code
    Late reply but two things you have off.

1. The Holy Grails purpose was never supposed to be used to grant wishes, it's meant to open a pathway to the route and achieve Third Magic. The wish-granting part was just another way how it could be used and what was advertised to the other Masters outside of the Three Familes, but that wasn't why it was built.

2. It's the 2nd War that had no rules and was plain chaos, the first wasn't even a HGW in a sense and all it amounted to was some disagreements that ultimately stopped the ritual.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

JP Friend Code
    Not sure if you're also interested in the Art Graph grails in FGO as well as some weird grails aka Poseidon's and Gil's cup of Uruk but those are pretty different compare to the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Late reply but two things you have off.

1. The Holy Grails purpose was never supposed to be used to grant wishes, it's meant to open a pathway to the route and achieve Third Magic. The wish-granting part was just another way how it could be used and what was advertised to the other Masters outside of the Three Familes, but that wasn't why it was built.

2. It's the 2nd War that had no rules and was plain chaos, the first wasn't even a HGW in a sense and all it amounted to was some disagreements that ultimately stopped the ritual.
    Oh, Thank you. That actually oddly enough makes a lot more sense to me than someone going "Oh hey, let's turn the wish granter into a drill."

I scrapped the holy grail war video for a later date and worked on this script for servants.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Do you think what I wrote has a proper understanding of the topic enough to convey it to others?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    Not sure if you're also interested in the Art Graph grails in FGO as well as some weird grails aka Poseidon's and Gil's cup of Uruk but those are pretty different compare to the other ones.
    They are? I didn't know that.
    I'll probably either edit the current script or make a follow up to this later on. So yes, I'd be very interested. Those are the grails used in palingenesis correct?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors 8000's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    They are? I didn't know that.
    I'll probably either edit the current script or make a follow up to this later on. So yes, I'd be very interested. Those are the grails used in palingenesis correct?
    Palingenesis is just a gameplay feature. Pretty sure MC doesn't actually feed grails to his servants, especially given you get grails from singularities and events where none were recovered in the story.

The ones that are recovered from singularities are Art Graphs however.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 8000 View Post
    Palingenesis is just a gameplay feature.
    You say this, but again, "gameplay functions" are regularly referenced in-story so unless you've got a quote that explicitly states this, it no fly

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    You say this, but again, "gameplay functions" are regularly referenced in-story so unless you've got a quote that explicitly states this, it no fly
    Even if it's referenced in story it's not necessarily meant as lore. You might as well say that any game with an in-game tutorial (i.e "press B to jump") has the characters literally know they're in a game.

JP Friend Code
    Has Palingenesis ever been referenced in-story?

US Friend Code
    Still tho in the story itself we haven't actually reached a point of us using are grails. The only time I remember us offering to use it was as a last ditch effort to extend Mash's lifespan.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

So you're telling me that we had reached it
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

So... what ARE the grails i nthe singularities?

Blog Entries
    Artgraphs

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_toaster View Post
    So... what ARE the grails i nthe singularities?
    The grails used as the core of each singularities are called Art Graphs and those were created by Goetia to cause disruption. Basically he dropped them to each singularity to specific people who will summon/transform into one of the 72 demon gods and wreck the era. They are basically the method to transform magic energy in a space, the rule of the world without an original form. And because they don't have an original form, Flauros simply turn them into some sort of crystal for convenience, despite the ingame icon being a literal Grail.

Poseidon's grail is the grail Francis Drake obtained in Okeanos and it boosted her so she can fight on servant level, we did not obtain that one. The Art Graph in that chapter was given to Medea Lily.

Gil's grail, the Great Cup of Uruk is basically ancient artifact that functions like a grail, filled with true ether from the age of gods and thus can change the world. The goddess alliance tried to get their hands on it during Babylonia chapter. In that chapter the Art Graph is Kingu's heart and you need to retrieve it to open a path to Solomon's Time Temple.

Thank you. This is very helpful.

so the art graphs also allow for a servant to be summoned?

JP Friend Code
    Yes. They seem to be able to support a much larger amount of servants than the Fuyuki grail.

JP Friend Code
    A few bits I can help with for the video (someone correct me if I got something wrong, not 100% sure about some of them):

The Magus Association didn't set the rules. The church and the families sort of just agreed on them, and the real only rules are that the war has to be kept secret from the public, no attacking the church, and a master can seek sanctuary in the church after their servants are killed. The church didn't force themselves into the war, the families brought them in as a third party because there was way too much slaughter in the second one. The church agreed so they could see if the grail was the real one. They confirmed it wasn't some point before the fourth war but stayed as overseer because the grail was too powerful to ignore.

Servants still return the throne when they get killed in wars in the form of information, but the energy from their souls is sent to the lesser grail, which in turn dumps it into the greater grail.

Also it's been revealed in Grand Order that the ritual for summoning Heroic Spirits is based on one designed by the planet to do the same thing to fight the Beasts of Calamity. We don't know much about the planet's ritual, and the fact that there were still classes for the servants in it is odd. Originally classes were stated to be made because the grail couldn't fully copy the legend of any Heroic Spirit, so it was limited to copying a certain amount of it that fit the classes. Most likely the planet's summoning containers help Grand Servants as opposed to weakening them like the grail's. It's a bit of a retcon either way.

Thank you. Did I get anything wrong in the "What is a servant" script too?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Obligatory "it's command spells, not command seals"