Thread: Fate/Reclamation (IC)

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Westminster Cathedral

"Only the victor is granted the right to behold the Grail?"
    “You are correct. The Grail will only manifest once the one worthy to possess it has been selected through the crucible that is the Holy Grail War.”

Father Kotomine’s voice was dispassionate, almost clinical as he calmly responded to Arwyn’s query. The priest had been surprisingly cooperative, considering the subject matter. By any stretch of the imagination, the topics being discussed currently could not be considered to be anything but the vilest of heresy, yet the older clergyman spoke of them with an almost casual ease, almost as if talking about the daily weather or the new construction project down the road. The church included many people from all kinds of origins, of course, but…

Well, at the very least, the strange priest seemed to be well versed in the topic at hand.

Kotomine’s brown eyes bored into Arwyn’s, almost as if the man was trying to peer into the very soul of the young man in front of him.

“I see. Initially, I thought that the existence of the ritual itself might be the cause, but… It's not that your faith has been shaken. You are simply afraid of the truth.”

“A peculiar paradox, is it not? Your faith isn’t sufficient enough to allow you to ignore the niggling, almost everpresent, doubt that burns within your chest. Yet you are also afraid of answering that very same doubt.”

“After all, we do not ask questions for which we know the answer.”

Kotomine’s gaze turned away from Arwyn.

“Irrespective of the truths you may find, you need not lose sleep on the origin of the ritual itself. As I said, the ritual at hand is completely and wholly a product of men, nothing more. Free will of mankind is its origin, not a divine mandate.”

The priest's voice took on a somber, almost sanctified, note.

“For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.”

“Much as with any war or tragedy brought forth by the follies of man, everything shall be judged at the end of all things. But not before. For we must be free to choose the actions for which we will be judged.”

"Am I to participate as a Master of one of the two teams, Father?"
    “If you wish to. It is my role to administer and act as a supervisor for this War, but it is not my role to act in some manner to preserve the balance between the two sides. The choice of who to side with, should you choose to join this war, is up to you.”

“Speaking of which…”

“What is your decision, Arwyn Cadfael Penrith? If you choose not to join the War and ask for refuge, then the Church shall ensure your safety for the duration of the Grail War.”

“After all, willful ignorance is also a choice a man can make.”
    Last edited by Mellon; February 5th, 2018 at 05:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Westminster Cathedral

"You are correct. The Grail will only manifest once the one worthy to possess it has been selected through the crucible that is the Holy Grail War."

It was as Arwyn had feared, then; there seemed to be no other choice than to seek victory as the sole victor.

The brown eyes of the priest gaze straight at Arwyn, interrupting his thoughts. Arwyn forced himself with difficulty to not look away from that piercing gaze...but as the priest continues to speak, his eyes only widen.

"After all, we do not ask questions for which we know the answer."

The words were met, at first, with startled bemusement. Was it being implied that he already...the answer...but how could he already know the answer? When he couldn't begin to even picture what he wanted it to---

What he wanted it...to be...?

"------."

Arwyn's thoughts cut off, as though sharply cleaved in half with a butcher knife. The world seems to freeze abruptly.

Something
    everything
    dangerously close to shattering, just like, just like---

Just like when he had killed that man this morning.

"What is your decision, Arwyn Cadfael Penrith?"

...Even so.
    Even so, he had no choice but to keep advancing forward.

Everything had been for this sake. It was not an option to stop here. To give up here...that would be tantamount to admitting, to that wilful ignorance...

He would see this through, no matter how much it cost him. No matter that he might only shatter at the end, even should he succeed.

This was all he had.

"...I will participate in this War. Tell me, please, what I must do to summon my Servant."

Arwyn clenched his fist tightly over his chest.
    Last edited by Reiu; February 6th, 2018 at 05:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Alexandra Chimeragenos, Michael Blackmore, Kanzaki Erika
    15th of December, 2004
    Clock Tower (Main Campus) - Saggitarius Hall
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"Lord Velvet..."
    The dark-haired administrator quickly interrupted Michael’s words, before the enforcer could speak any further.

“Aah, please don’t refer to me with a title like that.” A slight note of frustration was present in Waver’s voice. “Though maybe I have given a wrong impression with all my monologuing.”

The black haired man rubbed his head in earnest exasperation.

“I am not a Lord and I would rather not have misunderstandings like that floating about as some silly rumor. I am an administrator at best and a secretary at worst. The last thing I need is people coming after me for besmirching the authority of the Lords by claiming to be one.”

A visible shiver ran through Waver’s body.

“I don’t even want to know what the Vice-Director would do if she heard that.”

"If it is, could we locate the other seven the same way you found us, and have them neutralized before the ritual proceeds further?"

“It is likely the seven Masters we are meant to oppose have been preparing for this since their ritual's core was sealed. Under normal circumstances, such preparations would mean little to a team of Enforcers, as you well know."

"However, what if those seven have already prepared their Servants? One Heroic Spirit alone would be beyond a team of Enforcers. Seven? Simply impossible."
    “Lady Chimareganos is correct. Considering the circumstances, we are the ones combing around in the dark. Any type of first strike scenario was probably out of the question to begin with. In fact, we should probably be grateful to even know as much as we do. The relevant information was… difficult... to find, in all honesty.”

Waver’s tone dropped a note.

“The relevant records in the Sixth, Eleventh, and, most importantly, Third Faculty pertaining to the ritual have been completely purged. Even the Parchment Archive itself has been thoroughly scrubbed of any information regarding the Holy Grail War.”

“The only reason I even managed to find something was because I promised Wulfric I would suggest to the Vice-Director to fund another expedition to Alexandria.”

Ol’ Wulfric was the almost notorious librarian of the Parchment Archives, the largest library of the Clock Tower. An irritable member of the Prague Association, the man was almost insufferable and was well-known throughout the campus due to his standoffishness and lack of respect for any authority (with the only possible exceptions being the Director and the Vice-Director). The only reason that Wulfric was still alive (and hired) was due to his incredible memory and unique magecraft, which allowed him to index and replicate any piece of information in the Parchment Archives. Which, unfortunately, made him irreplaceable for the proper functioning of the Archives.

Even if the old codger had the habit of chasing and beating any “irritants” in his "domain" with his broomsticks.

“While I would hate to cast aspersions with such little evidence on long-standing families with considerable history…” Wavers train of speech momentarily ceased for a moment. “In any case, I have little doubt that our current situation was premeditated by someone in particular and not simply due to a fluke of random chance.”

The Animusphere head suddenly interjected.

“Oi, oi, doesn’t that mean…”

“In other words, our participation isn’t something we can refuse… After all, even if we don’t summon, the other seven will seek us out regardless to ensure the ritual is performed?”
    A pervasive silence fell over the seven individuals that had gathered at Saggitarius Hall.

Blog Entries
    Kanzaki Erika
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

The thought hangs over all our heads, like a cloud that refuses to let the sun shine. With everything that Waver Velvet has said, our lives are at stake, under a unified attack rather than some accidental stroke of fate. It’s obvious that such an idea would have us all worried…

Even so… I absolutely refuse to give up here. In a sense, my advantage is that unlike the others here, I don’t really have anything. Even an Enforcer has job security, as amusing as that thought is. But unlike the rest of the people in this room, I’m inherently unremarkable. Replaceable. Really, it could have been any other random student or faculty member placed in this position.

But it’s just me.

And now that I think I understand the gravitas of the situation, it’s time to commit to a decision. You don’t get anywhere in life by waiting around for the opportunity. You have to seize it as it comes, so…

This is a good time as any to take matters into my own hands.

“I’m going to apologize beforehand,” I say, my voice wavering, but my conviction strong. “But I think I’ll summon a Servant.”

“The rest of you come from lofty families with legacies, or, at the very least, you are in jobs in which you were picked for your talents. But as for me, I’m just a first-generation lecturing assistant. I’m forgettable as is.” A bitter smile forms at the corner of my lips. “But since the Association has kindly decided to let me live, I figure I should do them a favor and fight for the chance to make something of myself in the future.”

It’s the truth. Everyone else, they can proudly say they’ve accomplished something. But for me, I haven’t done anything. I can’t—I refuse to die before I’ve achieved at least some level of satisfaction with what I’ve done.

“To put it bluntly, I enjoy living, and I’d really like to continue working on my research. If any of you value either of those things, I suggest considering summoning as soon as possible.”
    Last edited by Katie; February 7th, 2018 at 05:11 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Michael Blackmore
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

Michael couldn't help but smile a bit, upon hearing Erika's proclamation.

It wasn't a happy smile. If anything, it echoed hers.

Her words were familiar - no, he'd actually never heard a lecturer speak like that, nor anyone else at all. But that matter-of-fact way of saying "I want to live" couldn't help but stir up his heart in a similar fashion. It was a shame. This war, that those families had apparently planned for, to the extent of reaching into the heart of the Association's records on the matter - it already threatened to claim the life of at least one respectable person.

He really didn't want to be thrust into a battle so soon. Especially this particular battle, on home ground. But, such was life. The moment he had arrived at the Clock Tower - no, the moment Michael Blackmore had accepted his family's legacy, he had handed off the reins of his destiny to another. It was all he could do to meet that fate head-on in a manner befitting his station. To root out the corruption within the Tower and set right this ill-begotten war.

Michael inclined his head. He could acutely feel the phantom pain of his Command Seals on his neck. It was an echo compared to the nausea rising up from the pit of his stomach.

But he was sure she was feeling much the same.

"As always, Mr. Velvet, Lords. I am yours to use."

Blog Entries
    Alexandra Chimeragenos
    15th of December, 2004
    Clock Tower (Main Campus) - Sagittarius Hall
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

Alexandra closed her eyes.

A mere act of resignation. She did not need her sight to see the obvious in front of her. Not when Kanzaki Erika so clearly spoke it, placing the truth of the matter in front of them all in a way that could not be refuted.

“To put it bluntly, I enjoy living, and I’d really like to continue working on my research. If any of you value either of those things, I suggest considering summoning as soon as possible.”

Though the individual reasons differed, the conclusion was all the same for Alexandra. Living was just a state of being as she carried something meant for the next vessel. Her death meant little; there were others with her blueprint that could inherit the Crest, who would receive it instantly in the case of her termination. Likewise, the research she existed for would carry on with that new vessel.

What was necessary for her research to continue was not her life, but the environment itself. London, the Clock Tower, the Magic Association itself. Chimeragenos had integrated itself so deeply with these that, were they to topple, their advance of many millennia would drastically fall in speed.

"I cannot feign elation to have been chosen by the Holy Grail." Eyes still closed, the giantess began to speak. Her low voice carried a hint more character than before, dragged down by an obvious desire to not be involved in such an affair. "Its 'wish' is not something I need: in two... no, three generations, I will accomplish that myself. Thrusting myself into this illogical, chaotic 'ritual' benefits me little."

The chains hanging at her wrists, at her neck, swayed lightly. The metal clinked together as the lord paused for a brief second.

"I have no need for further prestige or miracles. Regardless, refusal is superficial. Matters of combat are beneath me, but there is no choice to be made."

Alexandra opened her eyes again, still staring ahead as though the act of 'seeing' was without meaning to them.

"The choice has already been made. Perhaps these usurpers... No."

The enemy couldn't rightfully be called usurpers. It was she, a member of the Magic Association, a pillar of its foundation, that held that title. They who had sealed the 'Holy Grail.'

These seven collaborators, their intent...

"These reclaimers will soon ascertain the identities of us, their foes, and rejoice that it's only a lecturer, a secretary, a student, two Enforcers, Lord Chimeragenos and Animusphere that they must contend with, rather than one such as Lord Jigmarie or Barthomeloi."

The Lord's pupils began to reshape, growing thin and serpentlike as her eyes widened. Eyes of a predator stared now not into empty space, instead they looked over the others gathered alongside her one by one.

"They will soon learn that they have no reason to rejoice, that all their plans and preparation mean nothing, that their declaration of war is equal to marching to their deaths."

Blog Entries
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"They will soon learn that they have no reason to rejoice, that all their plans and preparation mean nothing, that their declaration of war is equal to marching to their deaths."

“Well said, Lady Chimareganos. Whether it was due to random chance or the meaningless whims of a magical artifact, the fact remains that we were still chosen. As such, it is our duty to solve the situation with strength and dignity befitting that of magi.”

Luviagelita Edelfelt flicked back her golden locks in a thoroughly aristocratic, some might even say arrogant, manner. It was clear that not even a flicker of hesitation was present in the northern magus. In fact, considering her demeanor during your brief talk, it would be surprising if she was hesitating now. The Edelfelt heir saw this as only a demonstration of her own capabilities as a magus. No doubt that mention of the Tohsaka family had also played a role in riling up the azure noblewoman.

"As always, Mr. Velvet, Lords. I am yours to use."
    Bazett let out a deep sigh, the first sound the violet-haired Enforcer had emitted ever since the start of the meeting.

“Very well. It would seem that circumstances have conspired to take the choice out of my hands, but nevertheless...”

The voice of the suited Enforcer was steely and dispassionate.

"I will accept this mission and participate in this…..Holy Grail War as a Master.”

There was a certain tenseness and rigidity that ran through the woman and her voice that wasn’t there before. You couldn’t quite put your finger on it. It wasn’t fear or panic, that was for sure. Sudden elevated combat awareness? Impossible. One did not become an Enforcer, without such a thing becoming second nature. There was no doubt that the violet-haired woman had always been ready for any sudden attack, no matter the circumstances. What was it then?

Whatever the source of her sudden unease, it remained hidden underneath the ever-present veneer of professionalism.

“We are all in agreement then?”

Waver shot a sideways glance towards Marisbury, whose only response was an approving wave. Clearly, the head of the VIII Department wanted the flustered administrator to simply continue. Or perhaps the man was simply too lazy to articulate a coherent response. You never knew.

“Very well.” Waver pointed towards a stack of neatly stacked folders on the lecturer's desk behind him. “I have taken the liberty of writing down certain particulars of the ritual in the folders behind me. The ritual itself seems to be rather simple. In fact, I think a monkey could do it, provided that he had the Circuits. The actual summoning is simply a conduit for the result, the ritual itself is almost wholly carried out by the Grail.”

“Though, I would ask you not to diverge too significantly from the outlined ritual. It might cause… imperfections in the actual summoning.”

“There is one more thing that is necessary in order to summon a Heroic Spirit - a catalyst.”

“A catalyst is typically an artifact that was associated with the summoned Heroic Spirit during their life. An anchor, if you will.”

“In this regard, I cannot, unfortunately, provide any assistance. I tried to talk to old man Belfeban, but…” A flash of distaste flickers across Waver’s dark eyes. “That geezer won’t give up anything from that moldy “collection” of his unless Lady Sophia-Ri expressly forces him to.”

“While I have no doubt that those among us with more esteemed family lines have no issue procuring objects of significant history….” Waver gave a nod towards the Chimeragenos and Edelfelt magi. “...I would ask others here to give their very best in trying to procure a significant catalyst.”

“While the ritual should, in essence, work even without a significant catalyst, the quality of the Servant summoned can vary significantly in such circumstances.”

The black-haired magus let out a deep wheeze, almost as if he was being deflated.

“And that is all I know. You are now just as knowledgeable on the situation as anyone else in the Clock Tower.”

Marisbury simply gave Waver a well-natured pat on the back.

“Now, now, Waver. Don’t be so dour. At the very least we have a grasp of our overall situation.”

“Could have been worse,
    y’know? We might have had to figure all of this out while being stabbed by Heroic Spirits, after all.”

Blog Entries
    Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Westminster Cathedral

"...I will participate in this War. Tell me, please, what I must do to summon my Servant."

An echo of a smile played on the priest’s lips.

“Very well.”

“The Grail has chosen you for a reason, after all. Even if it is a man-made wish-granter, or perhaps precisely because of that, it is incapable of selecting a Master that does not wish for the Holy Grail, at least in some capacity.”

“Whether you recognize it or not, you do have a wish that you desire to fulfill.”

“And, after all, it’s not my place to dissuade someone if they wish to truly test their faith.”

Rising from his seat, Kirei Kotomine walked over to the small shelf that rested on the wall. Picking up a rather old-looking leather-bound tome, the older man walked over to Arwyn and placed the thick volume in front of him. You could make out no title anywhere. Which either meant that the tome was either extremely old or, more likely, a hand-written journal or notebook of sorts.

“All the neccessary information related to the summoning ritual, and the War itself, is recorded in this book. In your current situation, pages fifty-six to sixty-three should be most relevant.”

The priest flicked open the book in front of you, revealing a page with neat handwriting and hand-drawn magical diagrams. Both the formatting and the wording of the text was neat and dispassionate, albeit exhaustive in detail. It was clear that whoever had written the tome possessed the mindset of an archivist, rather than an enthusiastic participant of the ritual. A historian, perhaps?

“The ritual itself is rather simplistic. Even without any formal training in magecraft, it should be possible for you to carry out the summoning, provided that you keep to the instructions outlined.”

The priest gave a brief pause.

“Oh, and one final piece of advice.”

“I would suggest that you do not put too much faith in the other contestants in this war. To both sides, you are an unpredictable element. And magi, due to their nature, inherently dislike disruptive elements.”

“At the very least, the chances of them sharing the outlook of the Church on mankind is… extremely low.”

Blog Entries
    Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Westminster Cathedral

"Whether you recognize it or not, you do have a wish that you desire to fulfill."

A wish to fulfill? Yes, that he had, for certain; an only too selfish wish. A wish to be wished upon the Holy Grail itself, on the other hand---...

Arwyn mentally shakes himself away from that line of thought. Instead, he focuses his attention on the tome presented to him. His eyes scan over the pages, briefly pausing as they register the unknown terminology, reinforcing the fact to him once more that it was an entire hitherto unknown world he was catching a glimpse of.

Even if the summoning ritual itself was simplistic, or so it was said to him, he strove to comprehend what was presented to him, especially when pertaining to his own actions. And so it was only when he was spoken to again that he was interrupted in his concentration in deciphering what he could of the notebook with his own limited knowledge.

"I would suggest that you do not put too much faith in the other contestants in this war. To both sides, you are an unpredictable element. And magi, due to their nature, inherently dislike disruptive elements."

"At the very least, the chances of them sharing the outlook of the Church on mankind is...extremely low."

For a moment, Arwyn pauses, and then nods. He was not expecting the other participants in this War to have any scruples. And he knew all too well, especially as one in his line of work, what people were capable of with or without such.

And yet the warning, as it was, did not truly register its effect on Arwyn.

For as shocked, as shaken he would be by each heinous deed committed that he learned of, he had nonetheless never lost the faith he put in people, nor grown mistrustful or fearful. Empathy for him was not something only to be reserved for the victims, but also for those who had been driven to such circumstances as to perpetrate the horrendous crimes they did.

---For surely, the evil in this world could not be wholly blamed on malice born from free will alone.

That this idealistic view of mankind had nothing in common with his own judgment of himself was not something that registered in Arwyn's mind.

"Thank you for everything, Father……?"

There was no doubt that he owed the older man a great deal, and yet Arwyn still did not know the name of this priest who had introduced him to all this. It felt only right to thank him by name.

---Come to think of it, how had he known his...?
    Last edited by Reiu; February 13th, 2018 at 01:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Aila Einzbern
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Oxford Street

It's small. Maybe even a bit insignificant. But this passing moment is something of a small happiness for me. Understanding who I am... What I am, the things I must do, and the reasons why I was brought into this world... While I'm all too aware of the tasks that lay ahead of me, I'm still able to enjoy such a warm scene after years of solitude. Being able to express myself and indulge in my own emotional flaws is truly a wonderful thing. But it's made all the more wonderful because of the people surrounding me.

I smile, savoring the warmth of this scene before hiding my face once more. I quickly dry my tears and take a deep breath so that I may face everyone with choking up again.

"Um... Thank you, everyone."

Not really knowing what else to say, I just stumble through the first thing that comes to mind. I feel really awkward for causing such a scene, but I feel like I should do something to remedy the atmosphere a little.

"I ummm... Really like this outfit, Lady Irisviel..."

Trying to direct the topic is the best I can do, but it's so obvious that I can't help but feel even more embarrassed. Before I even realize it, I'm trying to hide my face underneath the hat's brim.

"I think I'll buy it..."

I desperately try to continue along this path of conversation, but my voice lacks any real volume. I'm mumbling to myself as a vast number of thoughts run through my mind to distract me. For the most part, these thoughts only serve to make me more self-conscious; however, in the midst of it all, one thought does stand out above the rest...

Unsure of myself, I peak out from underneath the hat and look for Lady Irisviel's face. For a moment, my eyes meet her's and the embarrassment comes back in full force. I immediately look away, wondering if I should even bother.

"Um... Lady Irisviel..."

But, the minute I start to question myself, a voice rings clearly in my head in order to oppose my own hesitation. It says to me "you may never get another chance" and it drowns out any kind of reasoning I can throw at it.

So...

"You've always... been very kind to me... And I greatly appreciate it-! ...But... That's is... If you would humor a silly request of mine... I was wondering..."

I hesitate at the home stretch. I can feel my face burning and my words catching in my throat. I've created an awkward situation again. Because I'm selfish... But because I've been granted the gift of emotions, I understand this to be something that I deeply desire. To some level of yearning... So, even if I can't look her in the eye, I can at least manage a few measly words before I die of embarrassment.

"I was wondering...I-If... I could call you mama? ... Saying Lady Irisviel all the time is kind of difficult, after all..."
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Blog Entries
    Alexandra Chimeragenos
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

“I have taken the liberty of writing down certain particulars of the ritual in the folders behind me. The ritual itself seems to be rather simple. In fact, I think a monkey could do it, provided that he had the Circuits. The actual summoning is simply a conduit for the result, the ritual itself is almost wholly carried out by the Grail.”

While the Senior Administrator of the Directorate proceeded with the rest of his explanation the giantess strode past him wordlessly, taking a stack of paper and flipping through it at an incredible speed. Each page was given less than half of a second before being turned, but every piece of information was thoroughly consumed and committed to memory. Select pieces of information were discarded as quickly as they were acquired, as naturally as the lord would exhale after inhaling.

Ultimately, much of the written information was of little importance. The necessity of a proper summoning ritual seemed to be superficial at best. From her approximations and brief understanding, something as simple as the possession of Command Seals and a crude circle would suffice. As Waver Velvet had said, the Grail itself handled most of the summoning. Which explained the near impossibility of truly summoning a Heroic Spirit. Were such a thing possible, Chimeragenos would have done so long ago, many times over.

“...I would ask others here to give their very best in trying to procure a significant catalyst.”

The towering woman placed the paperwork back where she had taken it from. The process of selecting a catalyst would be difficult.

If possible, she would prefer a Servant closer to an automaton that merely receives orders. As a lord, as a magus, Alexandra would find no need for a Heroic Spirit with excess independence. Lord Chimeragenos had no need for anything but a weapon. But men did not become legends by blindly following orders and submitting to one that, categorically, ranked beneath them. Such a figure would be difficult to decisively summon with a single catalyst.

Of course, with her resources, her options could be called infinite. If she had the luxury of time, she could potentially alter the Servant summoning component of the ritual to grant her the ideal, optimal tool.

Unfortunately, time as a resource was obviously running dry. The final grains of sand in the hourglass counting down to war would soon fall.

But what the Clock Tower lacked in time-

“And that is all I know. You are now just as knowledgeable on the situation as anyone else in the Clock Tower.”

“Now, now, Waver. Don’t be so dour. At the very least we have a grasp of our overall situation.”

“Could have been worse, y’know? We might have had to figure all of this out while being stabbed by Heroic Spirits, after all.”

It made up for in manpower and sheer might.

"Has the Vice Director been informed of the situation in full?" Alexandra's neck slowly spun back to broadly face the rest of the Masters of the Association.

Yes. Masters of the Association. Their forces were not limited to the seven chosen by the Grail, but a gathering of the greatest magi on the planet, bloodlines cultivated over millennia. It might be a tall order for those forces to match a Heroic Spirit, even one cut down to match the containers prepared by the Holy Grail, but that wouldn't be necessary.

"In the worst case scenario the Chelon Canticle Brigade, along with the Vice Director herself, should be prepared to move with us." Though Alexandra continued to stare forward with her pale, vacant eyes as was the norm, it was obvious that her words were again aimed at Waver. "There is no reason to be reserved with our forces. Though we are the seven chosen to participate in the ritual, this is a matter that still concerns the entire Clock Tower."

Blog Entries
    Erika Kanzaki
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

The word catalyst rings in my ears. Not because the concept seems unfathomable, but simply that I lack the sheer resources to procure one, especially under such little time. Maybe it’s much easier for everyone else, but when it came to the world of magecraft, of barter and favor, I was downright broke. To procure anything decent would basically require me to sell my soul, and considering my life already is in jeopardy, I doubt I can pay for what I take.

In other words, I’d have to take the biggest risk when it came to summoning. Blind, with something tenuous to ground the ritual into giving me what I want. As for what I want, though… That’s a bit more difficult to figure out, but at least I have the trip home to debate such things.

"In the worst case scenario the Chelon Canticle Brigade, along with the Vice Director herself, should be prepared to move with us." Though Alexandra continued to stare forward with her pale, vacant eyes as was the norm, it was obvious that her words were again aimed at Waver. "There is no reason to be reserved with our forces. Though we are the seven chosen to participate in the ritual, this is a matter that still concerns the entire Clock Tower."
    “Is there a reason this entire situation is under wraps?” What Lady Chimaeragenos says brings up a thought I’ve been unsure to say. I perfectly understand withholding information unless it is necessary. This is something all magi do. “As the Lady says, if this is a matter that concerns the entire Clock Tower, I’d expect more of an aggressive counterattack, or at least doubling down on current defenses.”

Of course, when you think about the price of a wish, it would naturally bring out the worst and unscrupulous nature of magi, who may do anything to acquire it with their own hands… Not to mention the Clock Tower has their heads too far up their ass to achieve anything for the sake of developing magecraft, only to indulge in their political squabbles.

“Are we hampered by bureaucracy, or is there something else that makes being open about this rather unfeasible?”

Blog Entries
    Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Westminster Cathedral

"Thank you for everything, Father……?"

“Kotomine. Kirei Kotomine. My parish is in Japan, but due to the circumstances involved, I have been transferred to London by the Vatican.”

The mysterious priest closed his eyes in thought for a second, clearly losing himself in his recollections. His voice was calm and collected as usual, but there was a certain emotion in it that you found difficult to place. Nostalgia?

“My family has somewhat of a history with this particular ritual, you see. My father was the supervisor for the last Grail War in Japan and the Vatican has granted the right, and obligation, of oversight of this particular manifestation of the Holy Grail to our bloodline.”

The priest let out a brief and humorless chuckle.

“Honestly, it should have ended with the last time. But, apparently, it did not. And that means that I still have a duty to carry out, no matter how maligned.”

Kirei Kotomine’s eyes flickered back open.

“Is that a sufficient answer to your question, my son?”

15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"There is no reason to be reserved with our forces. Though we are the seven chosen to participate in the ritual, this is a matter that still concerns the entire Clock Tower."

“As the Lady says, if this is a matter that concerns the entire Clock Tower, I’d expect more of an aggressive counterattack, or at least doubling down on current defenses.”

A grin of dry amusement flickered on Marisbury’s face.

“Hah. You try to mobilize the Departments now and they will tear each other's throats out far before ever touching our “opponents”, you know?”

“No one will take you seriously. These “Command Seals” are the only reason we are even here and aware of this entire ritual. Most of it…” Marisbury gave Waver another pat on the back. “Is simply Wavers conjecture, nothing more. No one will move based on the random theory of a first-generation administrator who doesn’t even hold a tenured position.”

The lord's eyes flickered over to the head of the Fifth Faculty.

“Nevermind that there are certain faculties who would not mind seeing one bit the Zoology department cut down to size. Heck, you give old man Yumina an excuse and that arrogant ponce will declare war on you himself. “

A self-deprecating smile blossomed on the man's face.

“And, in my case, they would see a desperate man trying to claw back the influence that the Eight has lost over the last couple of decades. You go there with no indication of a significant threat and no actual justifiable enemy and all they will see is a blatant power grab. Speaking of which….”

“...Against who would you actually mobilize?”

“Despite our suspicions, it's not like we have a concrete enemy to move against. They weren’t kind enough to send us a letter with all their names, after all. It's even worse if the Vice-Director and Chelon Canticle Brigade mobilize. Hypothetically, let's say they find and destroy the… Tohsaka family.”

“A mobilization of that scale against a threat that no-one in the Clock Tower takes seriously would only look like the Barthomeloi unilaterally eradicating a member of Meluastea faction.” The dark-haired man gave a brief shake of his head. “Never mind bickering amongst the departments, something like that might trigger a bona fide civil war within the Clock Tower itself. Neither the Meluastea nor the Trambelio would accept something like that. The Barthomeloi faction already holds the most influence amongst the three, the other two would be forced to move or they might as well disband altogether.”

It was then that Waver spoke up, catching the tail end of the older Lord’s speech.

“The Vice-Director has been briefed, yes. But currently, my theory is simply that, a theory. Should the Vice-Director receive confirmation of that theory…. Well, she might move regardless of the potential political ramifications. She would probably see it as an active challenge to both herself and the Clock Tower. Not moving would give the indication as if the entire Clock Tower, and the Barthomeloi family, backed down in front of seven magi.”

“She would simply crush any residual rebellious factions at a later point, but the prestige of the Clock Tower would take precedence over everything."

“Well then, we better find some way to make this threat hit home, or otherwise the majority of folks we will be fighting will be Clock Tower magi, not the masters of the other faction.”

Aila Einzbern
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Oxford Street

"I was wondering...I-If... I could call you mama? ... Saying Lady Irisviel all the time is kind of difficult, after all..."

“...Gefun!”

Letting out an almost uncharacteristic grunt, the dusky-skinned homunculus that Iri had been kicking mere moments ago was unceremoniously pushed aside, as the crimson-eyed woman made her way back towards the younger girl in the distance. Completely ignoring the older man who had been pushed aside, the homunculi in white enveloped Aila and gave the younger girl an emboldening pat on the head.

“You remind me of myself before I met Kiritsugu…” Iri looked Aila in the eye and gave the younger homunculi a smile filled with motherly kindness. “Of course you can. Call me whatever you want, Aila-chan~!”

It was at this moment that the two of you heard a cough coming from behind you.

Lapis was standing behind the pair, with a slightly embarrassed smile on her face. Based on her expression, it was clear that the suited homunculi didn’t want to interrupt the tender moment between the two women. Yet she did so nevertheless, prompted on by her sense of obligation and duty as a butler.

The butler gave a brief tap on the wristwatch on her slim wrist.

“Milady Irisviel. Milady Aila. We must wrap this up if we are to still adhere to today’s schedule.”

Iri let out a sigh as she slowly pulled away from the green-haired girl.

“Fine, fine. But before we go, lets buy this dress for Aila. Oh, and your suits as well! And, and... I want to go through a proper English cafe! Kiritsugu mentioned this “strawberry shortcake” thing and I want to try it out!”

Still holding Aila’s hand, the homunculi with the white hat boldly pointed into the distance with exhuberant joy.

“Lets goooo~!”

Blog Entries
    Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Westminster Cathedral

Maligned...of course, overseeing such bloodshed even under the name of a "ritual" couldn’t possibly be viewed in a favorable light by the general clergy. For one to calmly carry out one's duty even so, only strengthened Arwyn's esteem for Kirei Kotomine.

If his line had a history of involvement with the War, surely he knew the outcome of the previous incidence as well. Whether this man-made miracle had truly been capable of granting any wish---?

But...no, there was no point in speculating, nor in asking, when Arwyn had no wish as such for this Holy Grail...

---Whether you recognize it or not---

"......"

...The information in the notebook may very well elucidate information pertaining to previous Wars, in any case.

"Is that a sufficient answer to your question, my son?"

Arwyn hesitates. There was the unspoken question on his mind---that is, how Father Kotomine could have known---

"How did you know?
    ...Had you

Mocking laughter echoed in his ears.

For the second time, that morning, again, again---

---Ah, perhaps, it was better to not ask...this time...

"Thank you, it was more of an answer than I could have expected...I truly appreciate the time you have taken to impart your knowledge.
    ...It was a pleasure, Father Kotomine."

Arwyn bowed his head, and began to take his leave.
    Last edited by Reiu; February 13th, 2018 at 06:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Alexandra Chimeragenos
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"Always playing the fool, but in times like these you don't try to hide that shrewd side at all." The pale red eyes of Alexandra moved ever so slightly, a mere hair's length, toward her fellow Faculty head. "As Lord Animusphere said, Kanzaki, the other Departments would rather tear their peers' throats out before work together against an outside enemy. But that is fine. They do not matter. They are irrelevant. Yumina, the vulture, has been eyeing my prosperity for a long time. Did you think I would fail to notice such intent? A vulture is only a vulture. It will always be a vulture. It will not challenge a lion, no matter the circumstances."

The face of the VI Faculty tilted her head, as if to even further look down upon those she shared this world with.

"It is enough that Lorelei knows."

And without hesitation spoke the plain truth of the matter.

"As a Vice-Director, she is deficient. Shoving aside her duties for needless endeavors that accomplish nothing but sating illogical hatred. Acting too quickly and thinking too slowly in the most crucial moments. However, as a magus, and as the face of the Clock Tower, she is an ideal. Her abilities are above first class, the weight of her lineage wears well on her shoulders. Even I, Chimeragenos, acknowledge this. Just as the Senior Administrator of the Directorate said, she will place the prestige of the Clock Tower, of herself as a magus, above all else. It is enough for her to know. There is no further diplomacy required within the Clock Tower."

Openly berating the Vice-Director while actively praising her. This would be the 14th time that Alexandra had done so in the presence of Waver Velvet.

"For now, I will proceed under the assumption that this theory is correct." The white-haired woman's head slowly cocked to the side, her eyes still transfixed in place. "If that is the extent of your knowledge on the situation, Velvet, I will consider this meeting adjourned."

Almost mechanically, the Lord's neck moved back to its normal position. With an unnatural silence for a woman of such stature, especially for one wearing heels, the giantess turned and began to move for the double doors that lead out of the Sagittarius Hall with a brisk stride.

"For now, I advise securing a suitable catalyst and summoning your Servants. It would be a shame to perish before contributing anything of worth." Speaking to the whole room, the noble took hold of the door handle and paused, allowing one final response before her departure. "Of course, I am willing to cooperate fully in this ritual with the rest of you. Within the bounds of what is reasonable."

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Michael Blackmore
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"Ah, Lord Chimeragenos."

Before the tall woman could leave, Michael called her name.

"Would you like to exchange contact information?"

He brandished a smile and a bright yellow sticky note, with his apartment and phone numbers, and even an e-mail address scribbled onto it in tacky red pen. While the others had been questioning, Michael had been quietly writing and reading through one of the folders. He'd taken off his turban at some point and tucked it into his shirt, revealing a shock of messy dark hair beneath it.

"I'll be leaving as well, to gather a catalyst, but it would be ideal to establish means of communication that don't require meeting in-person. If you'd like to, that is."

He had no illusions about his status in the Clock Tower. Even moreso than most Enforcers, Michael Blackmore was disliked. He didn't expect anyone besides Bazett to want to work with him. But that had never stopped him from trying.

Blog Entries
    Erika Kanzaki
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

Their reasoning is perfectly understandable. It’s politics that stops anything of use from happening, after all. Though, Lord Marisbury didn’t have to dig into an old wound… It’s not like I expect my opinion to be heard in the Clock Tower at all. In fact, I’ve learned that first hand, and it sucks…

Seeing the Enforcer write down his contact info makes me realize it’s also a good idea, so… I dredge up a pen and some paper from my bag before hastily scribbing everything on there. Name, phone number, email… Though, really, at best it’s only the phone number. There are Lords in our midst.

Still, there are more modernly minded people here, so it’s worth a shot.

“Er, this is my contact information,” I say, placing the paper next to the stack of folders, before taking one for myself. “I’ll be leaving as well.”

Though, it’s less that I need to find a catalyst and more that I need to explain the entire situation to someone else…

Blog Entries
    Alexandra Chimeragenos
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"..."

Slowly, ever so slowly, as if in slow motion, as if time itself had been cut in half and actions took twice as long to perform, Alexandra's neck tilted downward. With the tiny clink of the chain dangling from her neck swaying from the movement, the giantess' eyes stared directly at the piece of paper.

The information was coded. Alexandra looked over the number sequences that came after the obvious street address, likely the location of the Enforcer's workshop, and stored the code in her mind. Likely a cipher of some sort, or perhaps jargon only his fellow Enforcers would understand. What truly confused her was the @ on the paper, its meaning, and the .com shortly after it.

Truly, Enforcers were another breed entirely.

"Understood."

Then, just as slowly, the lord took her free hand and brought it up. The chains jingling matched her movements as she plucked the pen from Michael's hand, and began to write on the note. Standing opposite of him, she wrote a few words that appeared upside down from his perspective. Finishing with a powerful, but not forceful, flick of the wrist as she dotted an i, the lord returned the pen to the man's hand.

Lifting her head again, the giantess paused for exactly one second, eyes transfixed in the direction of Kanzaki Erika. Despite the distance, and the angle from which the lord viewed the first-generation magus, by following the movements of the younger woman's wrist the noble pieced together the information written by her, and then returned to the door.

"You will hear from me soon."

Offering those final parting words, Alexandra Chimeragenos exited the Sagittarius Hall, her ever present gaze dissipating from those gathered therein.

Though the feeling of being watched remained, for a time.
    Last edited by Spinach; February 14th, 2018 at 03:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gendou Matou
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"Still a neat trick, I'll have to ask you about it some time."
    The dusky-skinned stall owner popped out his, now considerably smaller, lollipop and gave Gendou a toothy grin. Interesting. Now that you noticed it, the state of his teeth was far better than you expected from a man who most likely consumes a fistful of lollipops each day.

“Tricks of the trade, boy, tricks of the trade. You are going to have a much higher prize to barter for that information. Appraisal of magical items is somewhat of a specialty of mine, you see. Built my livelihood in this dump on it.

A brief grunt of sarcastic amusement echoed out.

“And I have no need for another competitor. The Rat King is already on my ass as things are.”

"Pleasure doing business with ya...well, never did get your name did I?
    The jar that Gendou had bartered off to the strange peddler vanished into the depths of the stall, as the proprietor himself gave the young Matou man an easygoing wave of his man.

“The name is George Tickerton. But everyone around these parts calls me just Tick” The older man let out a rather tired sigh. “I never really liked it, but move around enough in Sutton and you find that these lables are far harder to scrub off from yourself than you would like.”

“Well, in any case, if you are looking for something to barter or a quick gig for a buck, you can catch me at the Tart Elephant. That’s a bit more towards the entrance. It's easy to find. Just look for the big lug at the door with a massive beard and half his teeth missing.”

“Big Buck is the biggest and shittiest bouncer in all of Sutton Lane, but he is at least a decent landmark.”

Blog Entries