Page 1 of 22 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Reclamation (IC)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fate/Reclamation (IC)

“What nonsense is this, Waver! This is level of incompetence is beyond disgraceful. Who was responsible for the maintenance of the Second Vault?”

Two figures paced through the elaborately decorated hallways at a rushed clip. While they were both members of the Association, their actual authority in these halls was as far from each other as the earth and the sky. One of them, an auburn-haired woman whose entire demeanor emitted an almost imperial authority, was the Vice-Director of the Clock Tower and the scion of the greatest magus lineage in the world - Bartholomei Lorelei. And he was… well, her secretary, an insignificant magus with only three generations to his name. A man whose most notable talent in this palace of supernatural mystery was his administrative skills.

The double doors in front of the two of them snapped open without anyone ever laying a hand on them, the century-old wards shattering in an instant by the intense amount of magical energy that they had suddenly been subjected to.

It had been quite some time since Waver had seen the “Queen” quite this irritated. Normally, not even the Vice-Director could casually walk into the deepest bowels that resided underneath the Clock Tower itself. There were certain checks and balances that needed to be followed. A precious few checks, but vital ones nevertheless. The “Bottom of the Bridge” was not a place one could tread on a casual whim, after all. Countless tragedies rested amongst these walls, any one of which could potentially turn their world upside down.

In fact, one such object was already doing just that.

“This specific vault is under the jurisdiction of the Third Chair, milady,”

A look of momentary disdain flashed on the face of the auburn-haired magi.

Myencallion? That man hasn’t been in the Clock Tower for more than a decade, ever since the last meeting of the Observatory. No doubt that the lack of direction has allowed incompetence to flourish in the Third Tower, but to think that things have degraded to this point…”

“I want a comprehensive list of all the magi of the Third Tower, along with their family lineages on my desk by tomorrow morning, Waver.”

Those words did not bode well for the men and women of the Third Tower. The Three Towers were the keepers and prison guards of the Bottom of the Bride, with each tower having their jurisdiction over a category of Sealing Designation subjects. The Third Tower, for its part, was responsible for the research and safekeeping of objects that had been placed under a Sealing Designation, an authority that had naturally grown out of their famed leader's unique spiritual attribute. While actually admonishing Alexis Myencallion would be difficult, considering the current distribution of political influence in the Clock Tower, it was unlikely that the lower-ranking members of the Third Tower would be subject to such convenient political safeguarding.

After another set of large double doors, the pair entered a tunnel that led to their final destination.

A domed room of truly incredible proportions, there was really only one accurate adjective to describe the Second Vault - massive. Largest out of the four vaults under the authority of the Third Tower, the Second Vault was supposedly originally built for the safekeeping of a specific magical artifact from the Age of Gods that had the capacity to expand ad infinitum, While the artifact was primarily sealed in what was called a “paradox box”, the room that was built around it was built to offset the small chance that primary sealing mechanism would fail. The secondary enchantments placed in the room were rather simple conceptually and mainly allowed the interior of the room to simply expand according to whatever had been placed inside it. Over time, this meant that the room also became the home for Sealing Designated items that were simply too big for other Vaults of the Clock Tower.

Waver’s eyes fell on the item that had brought the two of them here.

Item 234 - The Fuyuki Greater Grail

The Grail was a massive stone sphere positioned in the middle of the room, tilted and off center, but by far the largest object in the Vault. Cracks of gold seemed to run across its spherical surface, pulsing periodically with incredible intensity. Waver had once read that there were magi whose circuits possessed such incredible efficiency that merely activating them produced an audible sound. He had never seen it personally, but… blasts of unnaturally howling wind rushed throughout the room, accompanying the brief flashes of light. All of that was secondary, however. Secondary to what the artifact felt like, even to his second-rate magical senses.

Looking at the sphere was as if looking at a pulsing star.

The quantity of prana in the Grail was unlike anything he had ever laid his eyes on. Never mind a singular magus, the quantity of sheer magical energy in this artifact was beyond what the entire Clock Tower…. no, the entire Association could produce in a decade. Was this even something that could be replicated by every magecraft user on the planet working in unison? Nevermind London, if that amount of magical energy went out of control, the entire British Isles, if not a large part of continental Europe, could be erased from the face of the earth.

For a moment, the Vice-Director next to him grasped her head and let out a brief hiss of pain, before regaining her composure.

A female magus stumbled into their sight, dressed in the grey-white robes of the Third Tower. Her eyes were haggard and hollow, a clear sign of extreme prana exhaustion. It was at such an extreme point, even casting a minor cantrip would probably result in her death. Giving a brief bow to Lorelei, the exhausted girl started to give an overview of the situation they had found themselves in.

“It..it just activated from nowhere, milady. From our observations, it's trying to activate some type of ritual, a Spiritual Evocation, judging by the spiritual signature it’s emitting. We have been trying to restrain it, but it seems that prana stored within it has somehow reached critical mass.”

Another pulse of magical energy sent shockwaves throughout the Vault, making the magus sway uncertainly on her feet as she tried to buffet herself against the sudden billowing winds.

“Aren’t the Boundary Fields supposed to completely cut the Vaults off from mana and the local leylines just for this very reason?”

“They are. ...And the wards are still completely functional. There is no way that prana accumulation of this level could be carried out while the wards ar….”

“Dimwit. Are you trying to tell me that this…” Lorelei waved at the massive light-emitting sphere. “... thing is a mirage? An illusion perhaps?”

“Enough. Tell the others of the Third Tower to release your hold on the wards, I’ll reinforce them myself.”

The tired woman immediately tried to immediately raise a complaint to this idea. Not the greatest of choices, if Waver was completely honest. He had learned early in his new career that to overturn the will of the Queen was like trying to debate with an incoming lightning bolt. Ultimately futile. Once the Vice-Director had decided upon something, she carried always carried it out with absolute certainty. Whether that was due to her extreme confidence in her own capacity or sheer arrogance, he couldn’t say. Perhaps the difference between the two was simply how one chose to interpret it.

“But Vice-Director, if we release the wards, even for a moment, the actualization of the ritual will immediately begin! This is still an unknown artifact that we are talking about! Who knows what it can bring upon the world, even in that single second!”

The Barthomeloi heirs voice was as cold as arctic ice.

Silence. I did not ask for your advice, girl. It is clear that if this is all left to you and your incompetent lot, all you will manage to do is die while trying to restrain it with your pitiful magical capability.

"And the end result will be the same.”

“Now go and tell this to your colleagues or I will take over the ownership of the wards by force and you will all have your circuits burned out by the backlash,”

“Am I understood?”

“Yes, milady.”

Waver did not bother to speak up as his eyes fell on the rapidly departing figure of the Third Tower magus. If his superior wished for his input, she would tell him. At this point, it was unlikely that the Vice-Director had any intention of this, considering the magnitude of the task that lay ahead of her. Even she, who was called the “Supreme Magus of the Modern Era” would have a hard time of restraining something like this on her own. It wasn’t impossible of course, He of all people had ample experience in Lorelei’s ability to carry out feats that were simply mind-boggling for normal magi, but…

Let's just say Waver would have felt a tad more confident if the Canticle Brigade was here as well.

A moment later, a brief sharp sound echoed throughout the domed room, almost reminiscent of a thread being snapped.

For a moment, Waver could not distinguish anything besides overwhelming light and the sea of magical energy rushing past him. There was no adequate way to describe the feeling and he would probably never possess the eloquence to do so. And then it was gone. Vanished in a blink of an eye, disappearing into nowhere. As he helped the Vice-Director back on her feet, the massive sphere that had been the cause of all of this had returned back into an inert state, seemingly drained of all of the intense magical energy it had displayed seconds before.

It now looked exactly like his first impression when he entered. A giant rock.

“I.. I didn’t even have time to….” The normally imperious Lorelei was clearly shaken by what had happened and took a second to gather herself. “We need to assess the effects of this artifact, whatever it was. At the very least, parts of whatever it was trying to do were actualized and I want to know what it was.”

“Waver! I want you to dig up everything you can find on this artifact. Every record, no matter how obscure. The Kalion libraries, the family registers, everything you can get your hands on.

"
    I don’t care if you even have to squeeze blood out of that old codger in the Parchment Archives, I want to know what is going on!”

“Understood, milady. I will get right on it.”

With those words, the Senior Administrator of the Directorate left the Second Vault of the Kalion Observatory, leaving behind a furious Vice-Director who immediately started her interrogation of those hapless members of the Third Tower who had still been, unfortunately for them, not completely drained of their magical energy.

It would take exactly three hours and forty-five minutes for Waver Velvet to finally notice the crimson markings that had been etched at the back of his forehand by the Grail.

It would take him twice as long before he fully understood the situation they were in.

Aila Einzbern
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

“Mi...Mistress Irisviel, surely this is enough, right?”

Lapis, Aila’s butler, fidgeted uncertainly as she stood in front of the changing room, dressed in a rather elaborate, white, summer dress. Despite what one might think, while the Einzberns placed great emphasis proper dress code for their produced homunculi, their selected garments to be rather strongly rooted in their familial history. Which, while functional back in their castle in Germany, weren’t really the types of clothes one would wear while interacting with modern society. Which is why you had come out here in the first place, To get some clothes that weren’t some sort of bizarre cross between a nun’s habit and maid outfit.

“Nonsense, Lapis!”

Irisviel’s eyes lit up with a joyful gleam.

“I just saw this nice suit with emblazoned lapels which I think would fit you just perfectly!”

Or well, that was the original intention. All in all, that aim had long been forgotten, as Irisviel’s had lasted approximately fifteen minutes before commandeering your unfortunate servant as an impromptu dress-up doll. Perhaps it would have been better to not take the older homunculi up on her offer. Though if you were completely honest, some of the clothes that Lapis had tried on were quite nice,

“No, please, mil…!”

Completely ignoring the embarrassed girl's objections, the long-haired homunculus dragged the struggling butler back into the depths of the changing room, with the azure curtain snapping shut a short second later second later.

A dismissive snort echoed out behind Aila.

Giving a passing glance over your shoulder, you noticed your other servant, Ushabti, sitting on one of the seats near the entrance. A thick broadsheet, the Financial Times from the looks of it, lying open in his seated lap. The daily crossword, no doubt. It wasn’t really a surprise that the older homunculi had already finished with his selection of clothing. Considering his personality, he probably picked the first one that caught his eye and that was that. In all honesty, the suit the man had chosen was rather plain all things considered, but… Well, trying to offer any recommendations to the obstinate man would no doubt be casually dismissed.
    You could hear the man muttering to himself.

“Hmm... an opera by Bellini.... five across.”

The curtains opened once more, this time revealing Lapis dressed in a dark vested butler’s suit. While her demeanor was still slightly fidgety, no doubt due to Iri’s natural grabbiness, it would seem that Lapis definitely had a preference for this type of less revealing clothing. If you are completely honest, it was due to her unique circumstances that she even cared for something like this.

Superfluous emotion was an error, not a feature, after all.

Irisviel’s head popped out from behind your fidgeting servants back, her face set in an exuberant smile.

“What do you think, Aine? I think it’s rather sharp-looking! I would prefer a dress, but… “

Akechi Tohsaka & Mori Shiori
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"Well then. This calls for a celebration, I suppose.”

The middle-aged Tohsaka patriarch walked over to the mahogany drinks cabinet, retrieving three glasses and bottle of Dom Perignon. A vintage from 94, from the looks of it. A moment later, the dark-haired man popped off the cork of the champagne bottle, his every motion laden with the type of aristocratic air that was characteristic of Tokiomi. A certain sense of satisfaction was clearly visible on his face as he poured out the champagne into three glasses and passed two of them on to the two girls in the study.
    This turn of events had clearly pleased the patriarch in burgundy.

“To think that all my daughters were considered worthy enough to be chosen by the Grail. As a father, I could ask for nothing more. This is truly a proud moment for the Tohsaka family.”

The man took a sip from his glass, a subtle, satisfied smile playing on his lips.

“Not only that but to have another so closely intertwined with us be granted the position of a Master…. It bodes well for us. Both for this war and for the war yet to come.” Tokiomi’s face clouded for a second. “Perhaps some of the preparations I had to carry out weren’t even truly necessary…”

Whatever those “preparations” were, you did not know, but one thing was certain. Despite his gregarious nature, the Tohsaka patriarch possessed a certain type of detached ruthlessness that was almost exemplary. The quintessential magi outlook that placed true importance on only two things. Reaching the root and the prosperity of the Tohsaka family as magi. Everything else, while important, was secondary to these two goals.

No doubt that any preparations that Tohsaka Tokiomi had carried out were done exactly from that perspective. From that of a true magus.

“But in any case, it would be negligent of me to chatter on over subjects that might not even be relevant for the two of you.”

Tokiomi gave both her daughter and his student a well-meaning smile.

“This is probably a needless question, considering that the two of you have already been chosen but…”

”Are the two of you ready for the obligation you are about to carry?”

Gendo Matou
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

The buzz surrounded you was almost deafening.

Teeming masses of magi were walking through the dimly-lit alleyways of Sutton Lane. There were dingy stalls everywhere, trying to peddle some type of magical trinket or another. Buying magical items from such stalls was always somewhat of a gamble. They were all magical items of some sort or another, of course. The problem was that half the stalls were filled with con-men who tried to peddle you an initiates first attempt at an Azoth blade by claiming it belonged to Paracelsus himself. Because actually assessing the magical capabilities of items without activating them was difficult, to say the least, it was always tough to know whether or not you had been conned without actually trying the objects out in your workshop. But the real risk was not the con-men.

It was when what you bought was exactly the tall tales you were sold on.

Your eyes fell on a small stall filled with reagents obtained from various magical beasts. Most of it was relatively mundane if you were completely honest. Crap like bottled eyes of a kappa, werewolf teeth, or milk from a succubus. Probably from the lowest rung members of those phantasmal species as well. Or produced in one of those rumored reagent factories of the Fifth Faculty. Either way, most of it really wasn’t to your interests.

Gendo’s eyes fell on a desiccated blood worm, floating in a jar of embalming fluid.

Almost unbidden, the young Matou's mind returned to the meeting with his family head that had taken place only scant hours earlier. Seeing your Command Seals, Kariya’s instructions had been short and to the point.

“I see. Then do as you feel is best. I shall contact you when the War truly begins.”

Kariya Matou always felt off to you. A man who had been brought up by the old methods should never be capable of that kind of… passiveness, by the lack of a better word. You could never truly decide whether his behavior was really reflective of the individual within, or merely an elaborate facade of some sort. A mask to hide the true nature of the man within. Even now you weren’t truly sure if the man even had any plans to take part in the Holy Grail War or not. Or maybe Kariya would sit the War out and the old fart would actually take to the field himself?

That would be interesting to see, at the very least. Terrifying, but interesting.

Your thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the voice of the stallkeeper.

“Interested in anything? Specific reagents? Grimoires? Information?”

Alexandra Chimeragenos, Michael Blackmore, Kanzaki Erika
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

Four people stood silently in the in the large lecture theatre.

While all of the departments possessed lecture halls in the large underground complex that lied beneath the British Museum, their usage depended strongly on the faculty in question. Some, like the lecture halls for the I and II Faculty, were almost in permanent use, while some, like the Tamerlane Hall of the X Faculty, hadn’t been used for over a decade. The Saggitarius Hall clearly fell into the latter category, being the property of the Celestial Body department, which was mostly centered around the Royal Observatory. Very few courses in the VIII Faculty managed to pull in enough students to actually justify the usage of such a large lecture hall, as the overall enrollment numbers for the sub-departments that existed under the Eighth were at historic lows. Even so, he probably would have never had the authority to book such a lecture hall if not for...

Wavers eyes fell scraggy-haired man seated casually on one of the engraved wooden benches.

Marisbury Animusphere.

The head of the Eight Faculty and the head of the 800-year Animusphere family. No doubt if he had asked the Vice-Director for her opinion of the man, it would have been something along the lines of a “lazy, talentless slob”. It was often said that if not for the head of the X Faculty, he could be considered to be the worst Department Head to ever hold the position in the last five decades. As the Jigmarie head was in the running, however, there was no competition whatsoever. Though the man was talented, no doubt, he seemed to be more interested in doting on his young daughter and making a general nuisance of himself to the administrators of the VIII department. Which made his current actions even more baffling, from Wavers point of view. Barely had he managed to piece together the purpose of the ritual surrounding the Holy Grail War when he was contacted by the faculty head with an invitation to “hold a private briefing in Saggitarius Hall ” for a “group of selected individuals”. Waver could, of course, read between the lines, but…

That didn’t make the entire thing less fishy, from his point of view.

If his hunch was correct, the total number of people would be seven, but considering that he didn’t actually know the identities of all the people that were attending… Either way, Waver’s attention fell to the two remaining women in the room. Both were… putting him on edge, although for completely different reasons. Luviagelita Edelfelt was dressed in her typical azure dress, ever the picture-perfect image of a magus noblewoman. Based on his own interactions with the head of the Edelfelt family during his brief tenure as an assistant lecturer, the woman boasted incredible talent in both practical magecraft and theory and an agreeable personality… most of the time. Perhaps it was something in the Edelfelt family line, who had once been called the “hyenas of the battlefield”, but the blonde girl possessed a temper that had a tendency to flare up in certain situations. And if the Tohsaka girls were also involved…

Waver had to suppress a shiver running down his back.

Noticing his scrutiny, the curly-haired blond gave Waver brief smile and slightly lowered her head in respect. A gesture that Waver immediately responded to, albeit with a certain sense of lack of comfort that clearly expressed his inexperience with these types of gestures.

And then there was Bazett Fraga McRemitz.

If the Edelfelt family head was the very image of aristocratic air, then the red-haired Enforcer was the very picture of utmost professionalism. Dressed in an impeccable suit, she was completely devoid of the typical pomp and fluff associated with longstanding magi lineages. While Waver had only met her briefly face-to-face once while walking around the Main campus, the fact that she was a Sealing Designation Enforcer already spoke leagues of her capabilities. Setting aside her actual capacity for large-scale magecraft or the number of her Magic Circuits, if his hunch on why they were here was correct then she might have been the individual most in her actual element. The Enforcers spent their entire lives not just hunting for individuals under Sealing Designation, but rogue magi in general.

Though if he was completely honest, the atmosphere that had surrounded the red-head during their first meeting was quite different from the calm and collected professionalism that was excluding from Bazett now.

And it was into this silent and contemplative lecture hall that three other individuals arrived, beckoned there by an elegant invitation from Marisbury Animusphere.

Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

The body in front of him hit the ground with an almost sickening squelch.

Crimson dropped in large droplets from Arwyn’s hands.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

The man in front of your eyes was, without any doubt, dead.

An unassuming man with cropped dark hair, with his throat sliced wide open. The butter knife that had been used to carry out the deed hung limply in your hand and rivulets of red ran down its edge. Peculiar. Now that you think about it, the man was almost painfully inoffensive in his appearance. A plain, forgettable face, matched with with unassuming clothing and build. You could already imagine him working in some kind of bank as teller or in middle management somewhere.

Strange… if he was so unassuming then wha…

“...God?”

Mocking laughter echoed in Arwyn’s ears.

When Arwyn came back to his senses, the butterknife was buried blade-deep into the dead man’s chest.

Blood still continued to fall from the tip of his fingers.

For some reason Arwyn felt detached. None of the emotional shock one would associate with murdering another living being with their own hands. It was… it was almost as if someone had pulled the plug on all of his emotions. The logical part of his brain recognized it as some form of shock, but… In a gesture that was purely due to ingrained muscle memory, Arwyn dispassionately raised his hand to wipe off the blood on it.

Only to discover that the blood that falling from his hands was not that of his victims.

It was his.

Crimson markings had been etched deep into Arwyn’s skin, burning with an eldritch light. Common sense would have suggested that the markings were wounds gotten during a struggle, but… There was no way to use common sense to explain something like this. The pattern was too orderly, the light too supernatural in nature for that to be the case. A sword, surrounded by some kind of aura? No. It was too abstract to tell for certain.

His emotions started to drain back into his body.

A mixture of dread and joy, building with every second.

Was this the justice you had been looking for all along? A judgement from God?

Arwyn’s hesitant eyes turned away from his hand and back towards the dead man in front of him. A part of him expected the man to leap right back into life. Or perhaps incarnate into a being surrounded by an aura of light and fire - a Messenger of God. However, no such thing happened and the corpse in front of his eyes remained just as it was, a corpse. Scanning the mans surroundings for clues, Arwyns eyes fell on a heavy code-locked suitcase laying a mere feet from the body.

There was no need to enter anything. The suitcase popped open with just the code that was already set on the golden wheels.

The first thing that caught Arwyn’s eyes was the white letter placed on top of everything else.

A single line of words was all that was visible.

“If you truly desire the answer to the question that burns within your soul, then obtain the Holy Grail.”

This was how Arwyn Cadfael Penrith, a man seeking judgement, first heard about the Fifth Holy Grail War.

Last edited by Mellon; January 14th, 2018 at 07:36 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Michael Blackmore
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"Hah..."

He was late.

It wasn't Michael's fault, but he was definitely late. And sweaty. And tired. And a bit sunburnt, if the redness he'd glimpsed on his nose in the mirror was to be believed. The invitation had come so quickly, so suddenly, and at such an inconvenient time that Michael Blackmore would've believed it to be a practical joke had it not come from Animusphere, a family with which he'd had next to no interaction. That not being the case, he had no choice but to take two minutes in the bathroom to freshen himself up and look as presentable as possible given the situation.

It was a bit awkward to be called out right after he'd returned. Not as awkward as trying to hide the sudden stigmata appearing on his neck the moment his flight landed in London, though. It had taken a plaster and a dozen minutes of reassurances to get out of that one. No sooner had Michael dropped off the item he'd been sent out to get than a message had arrived at the office, dragging him all the way to Sagittarius Hall without even a pit stop at his apartment to change. The traffic had been horrible, and as a result...

He was... not late?

Michael Blackmore strode into the room and saw that somehow, against all odds, he'd arrived on time.

"Ah, hello and excuse me," he said as he closed the heavy door behind him. "I'm Michael Blackmore. I was invited here by - oh, hey, Bazett!"

Michael raised his hand, a grin on his face, and waved hello to the straight-laced Enforcer.

A friendly face! Against all odds!

It took him only a dozen long strides to cross the room and be at his friend's side.

"I know, I know, it's a strange look," he said to her, as if the tense atmosphere of the room didn't exist. "Just got back from India and there was no time to change back. Oh, but it's good timing; I brought you a souvenir."

He fished out a tiny wooden charm that had been woven into his turban. It depicted a strangely-posing man with a bow in one hand, and an arrow in the other. "It's Rama, see? They have so many gods to choose from that I ended up buying two dozen for the whole office."

Only then did Michael blink and realize the room was full of people, all of whom (besides Bazett) were several ranks above him in the Clock Tower's hierarchy.

"Oh, um. Yes. I was invited here by a Lord Animusphere...?"

In the end, he still had no idea what he was doing in this lecture hall, or why the bruising on his neck had only gotten worse with time.

Whatever it was, Michael didn't expect it to be good.

Blog Entries
    Alexandra Chimeragenos
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

The silence in the Sagittarius Hall came to an abrupt end.

Words did not cast off the veil of quiet hanging over the lecture hall. Nor did the footsteps of the imposingly tall woman, who strode with a silence close to unnatural for her size. Even the act of opening the double doors was performed with a strange sense of discretion; the doors swinging open without a squeak.

It was the clink of metal chains lightly swaying in the air that broke the silence over the Sagittarius Hall.

Pale red eyes stared directly ahead, not moving in the slightest. From the way she carried herself one might assume that Lord Chimeragenos was blind. She did not turn to affix her gaze onto anything in particular. The giantess merely stared straight ahead, as if the act of looking upon the world was meaningless for her, just as a blind woman might. Yet, all in her presence undoubtedly felt that, despite her gaze being somewhere else, she was without question, seeing them. Staring directly at them.

Long white hair fell down her back, ending at her hips where the white darkened slightly. Matching her hair, Lord Chimeragenos wore only a plain white dress that fell just above her ankles. Her sleeves ended halfway down her forearms, past her elbows. On her neck, and at each wrist, latched tightly a black cloth-like material, with chains fixed onto them. Each chain ended after less than a handful of loops, as if they had been severed or shattered in an escape from confinement.

Dressed in chains and only a white dress, her appearance did not radiate “nobility” in the same way that the young noble-woman dressed in her azure dress adorned with ornate patterns did.

Yet nonetheless, the woman who could pass for a prisoner was every bit the noble.

"Ah, hello and excuse me"

At last, someone spoke, and as the man approached the suited woman, Chimeragenos began to speak in a low voice. Quiet enough not to interrupt, though she didn’t care whether she did such a thing or not, but loud enough that she would still be heard, though she didn’t care whether she was or not.

“Edelfelt, McRemitz, Velvet, Blackmore, Kanzaki…”

A voice holding nothing close to enthusiasm listed the names of those already standing in the hall, the latter two having arrived nearly simultaneously along with she herself. The voice that was as deep as the woman was tall was not addressing those named. She was merely making an observation, and thus no courtesy was due.

It was only a matter of course that the lord knew those in attendance. She kept herself well informed, and her eyes were vast, her ears keen. Even without having met them Alexandra knew a name to place to each face.

“Lord Animusphere, would you like to explain why you have called all of us here?”

Of course there was one here she had certainly met. Although her eyes still stared firmly ahead the giantess addressed her fellow lord directly, only observing etiquette to call him by his title, which was equal to hers.

Even if she did not consider him at all her equal.

Blog Entries
    Erika Kanzaki
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

Ah.

I take a look around the room. The sound of chains sends chills down my spine, and the other man’s cordiality with that stiff-looking woman means he is much more than someone who can’t read the mood. And everyone else is just…

I’m extremely out of my element here. The first thing you should do at any Clock Tower gathering is to figure out your relative position and never, ever overstep your bounds.

The man who invited us here is Lord Animusphere himself. His lecturers and their assistants complain about how he doesn’t do much but stir trouble, but he can get away with it because being a Lord is a shield unlike any other. Still, though, he’s said to be friendly, right? It can’t be too bad…

On the other hand, Lady Chimeragenos is just… I’d never met her in person until now, but I’ve finally found someone scarier than Lord El-Melloi screaming at lecturers. She knows my name, that’s just too much. Minimize talk. Know your place. In fact, just don’t act up while she’s here at all.

Waver Velvet and Luviagelita Edelfelt are the only other two I recognize. One is a third-generation magus that somehow because the Vice-Director’s assistant, an impressive feat of itself… and the other closed one of my classrooms because of a spat with the Tohsaka family, but I remember the lecturers talking about how she was an exceptional student and all that.

As for the other two, they’re complete unknowns, but the man came from abroad and the woman has the look of… I don’t really know how to quite place it. I certainly know what a student looks like, someone exposed to no threat, and none of the people here match that description at all. Just, if I had to guess…

I, as a Japanese first-generation magus, should probably only speak when spoken too. If I earned the ire of any of the Lords here I could probably kiss my career aspirations goodbye. Really, there’s no point in asking what this is about if even Lady Chimeragenos doesn’t know, so there’s only one formality to get out of the way before I can just silently sit through this entire gathering.

“I’m Erika Kanzaki,” I say, a bit of hesitance in my voice. The invitation hangs a bit limply from my hands.
    Last edited by Katie; January 14th, 2018 at 09:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Aila Einzbern
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1-)

(BGM)

"M-mmm. I think it looks rather good, ma'am..."

Not sure of how to respond, I just fumble with the first couple of words that manage to come to mind.

Hands in my pockets- arms tucked to my sides- I try my best to keep to myself. As people move through the area, I find myself growing more unnerved by the minute. I can't help but notice all of the trendy clothes, hairstyles, and accessories the other female shoppers are sporting. By comparison, I'm sure my appearance is rather dull and out of place. In a word, it's embarrassing. So, as to not stand out, I just keep quiet and try not to get in the way of those around me.

In contrast, Lady Irisviel is so full of energy and enthusiasm that she's practically radiant. While it's true that her appearance and mannerisms still set her apart from the crowd, she seemingly fits right in. There is no discomfort in her body language. Not an ounce of hesitation. Her steps are lively, her motions whimsical, and her eyes reflect an unrestrained joy. She has a certain 'life' to her that I can't help but be envious of. But, perhaps that's why I find myself drawn to her so.

Looking once again at Lady Irisviel's smile, I want to reevaluate my previous statement. Thinking about it now, I don't believe I was being earnest enough. It's easy to agree with someone else's thoughts, but that alone doesn't necessarily communicate my own.

Once again, I look at Lapis.

"Mmm," I smile and nod my head, my chest feeling a bit lighter, "I think this look is quite befitting of you, Lapis. It gives the image of someone who is strong, refined, and kind. And though it gives you a bit more of a masculine appeal, I think it strikes a pleasant balance between that and your feminine charms. In short, I think you look rather dashing..."

I try not to make direct eye contact.

I'm so embarrassed I could die... Sharing my thoughts on something is one thing, but going into depth about my feelings and emotions is another matter entirely. Still... I can't help but feel a bit of joy in my heart in being able to express such things. And the fact that my opinion could matter to someone makes it all the more sweeter.

"T-That being said-!"

My voice cracks slightly.

My continue to smile sheepishly as I try to make eye contact with Lady Irisviel again. However, the instant I do, I can't help but find myself turning away to look at the clothing racks in the distance.

"Um... Lady Irisviel... It makes me happy to see you take such an interest in Lapis, but... If it wouldn't be any trouble... Might I be so selfish as to ask you to show some of that enthusiasm in me?"

For a moment, I glance up to see if Lady Irisviel and Lapis are looking at me funny. Call it silly curiosity, but I can't help but wonder what kind of expression they would offer me now. I know my behavior is a bit odd, but it can't be helped. I've never had an opportunity like this and there's no telling if I ever will again.

"...Please?" I ask once more, though I doubt I can be heard, "I'd like to know what kind of clothes you'd pick out for me..."
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Blog Entries
    Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

A world is a fragile thing, capable of shattering into pieces in the blink of an eye.

The Earth itself, was of course, hardly describable as such. Short of a sudden planet-scale calamity, such a feat was hardly more than an idle daydream. Even the human conception of the world, maintained by the commonality of human belief, had in itself a resilience conferred upon it from the sheer number of masses that formed its foundation.

But what about a single man's belief?

Arwyn Cadfael Penrith's world had once been one of balance.

Living in the modern world, one encounters many sayings; among them, such platitudes as hard work was the key to success.

...But no, he had seen with his own eyes that it was not so.

Society did not reward the just. The virtuous could toil to their utmost, only to never to achieve the prosperity they had dreamt of, while the depraved mingled among those who gazed down scornfully upon such sights.

But what society did not give---

"The wage of the righteous leads to life, the gain of the wicked to sin."

---Surely, God would ensure their equal due.

After all, the just are rewarded, and the wicked are punished. Where the rule of society did not reward or reprove, the hand of God would accord, and admonish.

The invisible hand of providence that delivered justice to all, without failure.

"Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
    There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling."

He murmured to himself. A familiar psalm, as though hoping to overturn the reality that had been his life since that fateful day. As though to persuade himself. A habit that he developed...

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Ah, again, the by now familiar deed. The method was different, but it had happened, again---he had repeated it once more all the same. And yet...was he any closer to finding what he sought?

He looked at the dead man. A seemingly ordinary man. The usual thoughts pass through Arwyn's mind---did he have family? Friends? Loved ones?

But above that all, a pressing question asserted itself to the exclusion of all else. How had he known?

For a tantalizing moment, the answer had seemed so clear to Arwyn. A ray of hope, of deliverance.

And then,

"...God?"

A laugh reverberated in his mind.

---But now the man was dead, and Arwyn was once more left alone in his home, with the evidence of his act. An act Arwyn himself could not forgive. An act that surely could not be permitted...just like the others.

And yet, the world had responded with only silent inaction.

"..."

Gazing at the lifeless body that had once been a man, Arwyn searched for words to form some manner of final prayer...but they slipped beyond his grasp.

Exhaling, he closed the dead man's eyes, gently...As he did so, his gaze was drawn once more to the back of his hand. The blood crimson mark that rested there.

Unconsciously, as though it was the most natural thing in the world, his gaze was pulled then to the code-locked suitcase. It was in a daze that he approached and opened the strange suitcase, only to behold a letter.

"If you truly desire the answer to the question that burns within your soul, then obtain the Holy Grail."

...The Holy Grail? The chalice of Christ, said to manifest the miracle of God upon this world. Of course, he was familiar with the concept.
    And here, a letter commanding the obtainment of it, as though it were something within reach.

Was it? Could it be? The proof of what he had sought to know---what would answer his doubts once and for all?

He grasped at the idea, desperately, like a man lost at sea, at the glimmer of hope presented so soon after the previous spark had been bloodily extinguished.

If this was the way to find the answer he sought, then he would do anything it took. It didn't matter that it was, as of now, yet only the vaguest of hints towards what could easily prove to be a wild goose chase.

It was all he had to him, at this point.

He gives one last glance at the dead man. For a moment, something wells up, and threatens to overwhelm.

He shakes his head, to still his mind. Something would have to be done about this, eventually. But...now was not the time.

First, to organize his thoughts. A place came to mind: a place he had not visited for sometime now, most uncharacteristically for one such as him. Ever since that day…

---The Westminster Cathedral.
    Last edited by Reiu; January 15th, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Akechi Tohsaka
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Tokiomi's Study
    706173746562696e
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokiomi
    “To think that all my daughters were considered worthy enough to be chosen by the Grail. As a father, I could ask for nothing more. This is truly a proud moment for the Tohsaka family.” C

I nodded elegantly towards Father's statement. I was surprised as well when I discovered Grail's choices of participants. I was expecting for Rin and Sakura to be chosen because they were exemplary magus. The other choices were interesting... Like I was at the Clock Tower studying normally when I saw a red mark appear on my hand. I, an average magus, was chosen to participate. Careful examination of a few others revealed that the grail was choosing multiple mages even if they weren't particularly outstanding as a magus. 8

“Not only that but to have another so closely intertwined with us be granted the position of a Master…. It bodes well for us. Both for this war and for the war yet to come. Perhaps some of the preparations I had to carry out weren’t even truly necessary…" 2

I casually take a sip of wine at Father's nonchalant mention of "preparations." So Father was preparing for the eventuality that we didn't have a majority of the White faction servants on the Tohsaka side. The Three Families know what will happen once we regain the Holy Grail. We'll have another war to win the Grail. With four of us, we should have enough servants to adequately support each other against the Blue Faction. Afterwards even if the Einzbern and the Matou team up afterwards, we should still have an advantage when it comes to cooperation. G
    “But in any case, it would be negligent of me to chatter on over subjects that might not even be relevant for the two of you. 0
    This is probably a needless question, considering that the two of you have already been chosen but… -
    Are the two of you ready for the obligation you are about to carry?-
    "Father, I've been waiting for this chance ever since I started at the Clock Tower. It makes me happy that I can both honor and protect my family at the same time." I

I thought of the people I swore I would protect in the Holy Grail War. It would be a tricky thing for me to do, but I didn't get to where I was just by giving up at the start.

Blog Entries
    Mori Shiori
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

Mori Shiori smiled.

Over the course of the past several moments, she had found herself smiling a lot.

This time around, she was smiling as she sat in the study of her teacher. Dressed in a casual light grey sweater and navy blue skirt, she seemed somewhat out of place among the sophisticated and pricy furniture, but outside on the streets she would fit in inconspicuously. Before her stood the previously mentioned teacher, the ever-elegant patriarch of the Tohsaka Family, Tohsaka Tokiomi, and his daughter, Tohsaka Akechi. They were gathering in regard to the two girls having been chosen as Masters, so Shiori wore a mild and polite smile to fit the festive mood.

The family head passed her a glass of champagne but she politely passed on it.

“Thank you, sir, but I’m still underaged.”

She set the glass back down on the table and continued to quietly listen to the man’s musings with a gentle expression. In the corner of her eye, she spotted Akechi doing much the same, but with a glass in her hand.
    When the dark-haired man questioned the two girls’ preparation and resolve, Shiori found herself smiling once again. This time, it was a soft, pensive smile. As Akechi answered the question, she momentarily reflected on the path that had brought her here.

It was no surprise to her when the red marks appeared on the back of her right hand shortly after arriving in the area. Instead, she felt elation… and relief.

There was always a concern that the grail would not choose her. After all, it supposedly gave priority to the Three Families and she was not one of them. Nevertheless, it seemed that there was no reason to worry; her conviction had won out. She could not be happier.

She could no longer remember a time where she had not been thinking about the Holy Grail War. For years, she had been mentally preparing herself for this moment. It would be no understatement to say that every second of her current incarnation on earth was spent pursuing the grail. In this category alone, she felt confident.

Well, there was no need to say all this out loud, though.

“I share the young mistress’s sentiments, master. In regards to my resolve, there is no need for concern; I have long awaited this moment.”

With her back up straight and her chin up, the short-haired girl replied as formally as she could, something she had learned from her tutelage under the experienced magus.

“For all you have done for me, I will do my utmost to ensure the victory of the Tohsakas.”

If she had been standing up, she likely would’ve ended up bowing. Her face betrayed no emotion besides her eager support of the Tohsaka cause.

“In particular… I hope to be able to support Akechi-san’s efforts as well as I can.”

Saying this, Shiori slowly turned towards the other Master in the room.

And once more, she smiled.
    Last edited by zikari8; January 15th, 2018 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Typos and stuff

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Dranes's Avatar
    Gendou Matou
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

It wasn't the most glorious place he had visited in his travels...if he was being honest, it ranked pretty low. Visually Sutton Lane was more like a backwater flea market, noisy and filled to the brim with conmen. There was the odd mage here and there that was just trying to make a living but really, they had to be desperate or trying to keep out of the Association's gaze to set up shop here. Still, Gendou Matou couldn't complain, even as the young man grimaced at the quality of the bottled blood worm (it really was one of the worst specimens that he had seen to date), this place was better than being stuck in the Matou compound or being hounded by some Association hunter.

But still, you'd think there'd at least be a hydra infant or a manticore tail in here? Sure, it wasn't an amazing place but being so out of sight from the Association meant there had to be something of worth here, right?

Maybe his research trips had just spoilt him? Nah, this was London, if anything this place wasn't living up to expectations.

He took another puff from his cigarette, horrid but unique flavor, least the worms weren't acting up cause of it.

There was also the matter of old Kariya and the even older man behind him. Gendou's musings could only make him shake his head as he remembered the meeting, for putting his life on the line for the Matou family you'd think the patriach of the family would show a bit more emotion? Not that he was ever known to show much.

But those matters could wait for another time, there was still business to finish up here.

"I can think of a few things, yeah, depends on what you got."

The seals had appeared only a few days before, he could still remember the burning sensation on his left hand even if it was fleeting. You'd think there'd be some commotion in the Clock Tower regarding them...well unless they managed to keep it a secret.

Course with how many people were in that organization, something was bound to slip out.

Just a question of who knew what.

"Hear anything out of the ordinary in the past few days? And I don't mean the weather, something a bit more interesting than that."

It was a long shot but hey, what did he have to lose? If this guy tried to cheat him, he was the fool for not catching him out.

Just how it worked in this part of the world.

"Along with that..."

He reached out and grabbed the jarred blood worm, still as pathetic as ever.

"While this ain't a bad, got anything a bit more exotic?," He gently shaked the jar as he went on, both to illustrate his point as well confirm his thoughts on the lacklustre creature, "Been around the block when it comes to these things and prefer to work with the more interesting stuff if you catch my meaning."

Another puff of smoke left his lips as he put the jar back down on the table.

This whole war was going to be a real pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Dranes; January 15th, 2018 at 07:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Alexandra Chimeragenos, Michael Blackmore, Kanzaki Erika
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Sagittarius Hall

"It's Rama, see? They have so many gods to choose from that I ended up buying two dozen for the whole office."
    Bazett’s reaction to the figurine was the ultimate expression of deadpan disbelief. Even though the redhead uttered not a single sound, the word “Really?” rose up to the forefront your mind, almost as if she had shouted it out from the top of her lungs. A moment later the female Enforcer let out a sigh and took the small figurine from your hands, pocketing it. As she was doing so, her other hand was clearly beckoning you to sit down and listen.

Her whisper was barely audible, even in in the silent auditorium.

“Take a seat and listen quietly. There are people here you don’t want to anger with your usu…”

Bazett’s words were suddenly interrupted by the arrival of two women. One of them was a dark-haired girl with clearly eastern features visible from her face. She was an assistant lecturer of some sort, although Michael couldn’t, for the sake of him, actually remember which Faculty she was affiliated with. It couldn’t have been easy though. Despite improvements in the area over the last couple of decades, the Clock Tower was still not the most welcoming place for people of oriental heritage.

And the other individual was, of course, Alexandra Chimeragenos, the Head of the Zoology Department. A woman who towered over everyone else in the room with her physical stature, many were the rumors that circled around the white-haired leader of the Fifth Faculty. You had at least heard four separate rumors that claimed wholeheartedly that the Chimaregenos family had the blood of ancient giants running in their veins and another that claimed that they possessed some type of capacity to eat the souls of beasts and men.

And then there were the rumors that no-one would dare to utter loud in the current company.

In any case, Alexandra Chimeragenos possessed an inherent air of authority that few in the Association could match, perhaps outside of the Vice-Director herself.

“Lord Animusphere, would you like to explain why you have called all of us here?”
    Despite Alexandra’s rather authoritative tone, the scraggly-haired head of the Celestial Body department seemed to be at perfect ease. Perhaps it was his natural tendency for levity, but the older man didn’t seem to be bothered in the slightest in the current company. Though, most likely it was due to his many, many previous encounters with the head of the Zoology department. Letting out a slight grunt, Marisbury pushed himself up from one of the benches where he had just been slouching mere moments ago.

“Now, now, Alexa. No need to rush headfirst into everything. Lazing about has its own charm, you know?” Marisbury gave a quick pat on his clothes, cleaning them from the dust of the disused lecture theatre. “Though if you must know, last nights vaticination was… exceptionally unfavorable for the Association.”

“In fact, calling it simply unfavorable would be selling it short. Either way, it is something we can discuss later, once everyone has a better understanding of the general situation.”

The dark-haired Lord in a sweater turned around and faced Waver.

“Well then, Mr. Velvet. Will you give us your account of the current situation?”

Waver let out a disgruntled sigh, as he rubbed his head in slight frustration. It's not as if he didn’t plan on doing this in the first place, but the way that the head of the Eighth department had put him on the spot rubbed him the wrong way. The red-coated administrator had to suppress the instinct to reach for the cigarette package in his pocket. Grabbing for a cigarette whenever he felt his nerves getting frayed had become an exceedingly bad habit that he had picked up after his disgraceful humiliation by Lord El-Melloi.

Forcing his fingers to relax, he instead raised the back of his hand towards the seven people gathered in the room.

“Allow me to confirm something first…”

The third-generation magus allowed his Magic Circuit to slightly open, allowing magical energy to trickle throughout his body. Enough to be felt by everyone, but nowhere significant enough to constitute a threat to anyone present.

Waver focused the Od into his hands.

Crimson markings flared up, blazing with an ethereal red glow.

“Have any of you noticed markings, such as this, appearing on your body in the last twelve hours?”

“Simply opening your Magic Circuit should be sufficient enough to detect their presence.”
    Last edited by Mellon; January 15th, 2018 at 02:41 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Michael Blackmore
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Sagittarius Hall

Yep. That was about the reaction Michael had expected. Bazett was much more a stickler for formality than himself, though in this case he couldn't help but see the point in her whispering. Were anyone to offend an auditorium full of high ranking members of the Association, their lifespan would normally be measured in days afterward, if not minutes.

Still, it seemed he'd be getting away with it.

Wiping the smile from his face, Michael forced himself to nod and emulate Bazett's practiced composure as his mind turned to why he could've been summoned to a lecture hall at such short notice.

The arrival of the others changed things. Two Enforcers and some Lords... he'd expected a special mission, but the Asian lecturer didn't fit into that picture at all. The crew here was decidedly motley, even if it had names like Velvet and Animusphere and Chimeragenos in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waver Velvet
    “Have any of you noticed markings, such as this, appearing on your body in the last twelve hours?”

“Simply opening your Magic Circuit should be sufficient enough to detect their presence.”
    Wordlessly, Michael called the image of steel striking bone and pulled open his Magic Circuit the tiniest bit. He'd been given permission, so hopefully the terrifying Lord Chimeragenos wouldn't devour him for the slight. A moment later the spot on the back of his neck that had been giving Michael trouble throbbed, sending a fresh wave of pain through him.

He winced. A curse? The same as the one that Velvet was afflicted with?

Michael peeled off the bloodied gauze and plaster and inclined his head to glimpse what had appeared at the juncture between neck and shoulder.

A sign.

A portent of things to come.
    Last edited by Bloble; January 16th, 2018 at 05:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Kanzaki Erika
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Sagittarius Hall

A prediction unfavorable for the Association itself?

If it was something of that scale, wouldn’t it be more useful to assemble a group of Enforcers, or even Lords? There would be no point in having Waver Velvet, Luviagelita Edelfelt, and myself here. We’re hardly the kind of people that could contribute much in such an event unless… But then again Lord Animusphere has put Mr. Velvet on the spot so—

Quote Originally Posted by Waver Velvet

Oh.

In other words, this is something that involves us as individuals. I’d like to hope that they were wrong about the entire thing and that I am not involved, but I doubt something that required a personal invitation from a Lord of Astrology, home of divination, would be wrong. There’s that slim chance, of course, but it’s better to be resigned to the worst-case scenario.

Alright then.

Water trickles through the rocks. The familiar sound of a rushing river briefly drowns out any sound in the room.

Od flows through my body, a bit aimless, but the speed is precise. That’s my talent, I suppose, and in an instant, my leg burns.
    I take a glance at the offending spot. It’s a bit hard to see, but red light somehow shines through, creating a pattern too deliberate to be accidental from underneath my skirt.

No, no, no, this has got to be a mistake.

Of all the places for it to be… The outside of my left thigh? Up there? Really? To look at it I’d basically have to—no. They're going to take my word the damn thing is there, because it definitely wasn’t there yesterday and there’s no way I’m going to…

Can I die yet?

No, no, deep breaths, Erika. You’re just merely unfortunate and as long as you don’t make a big deal of it, people will just let you be. If you can see it right now, so can others. Just leave it at that.

But really, you have got to be kidding me…
    Last edited by Katie; January 21st, 2018 at 05:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gendou Matou
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Sutton Lane

The dusky-skinned proprietor's eyes narrowed slightly as he watched you pick up the bloodworm jar from the nearby shelf of the panoramic stall. Though you doubted it was of actual concern over the blood worm itself. Rather, the man was probably calculating exactly how much he could milk out of you if you managed to break the glass jar. Almost as if in confirmation, his voice followed a couple of seconds later.

“Careful. You break it, you buy it.”

"Hear anything out of the ordinary in the past few days? And I don't mean the weather, something a bit more interesting than that."
    The shopkeeper for his part patted though his pocket while you were asking your question, clearly having lost something in his pockets. A moment later, the man found what he was looking for. A pink lollipop. Strawberry flavored, judging by the label. Having found his treat, the man started to carefully unwrap the sweet. You were half in the mind to repeat your question, but the dark-haired man didn’t give you the chance, as he finally spoke up.

“Haa… I usually don’t give away freebies, but…” The man popped the lollipop in his mouth in a wholly out of place gesture. “There are rumors floating around that there was some sort of mess in that hidey-hole underneath the bridge yesterday. Half the Third Tower was gutted by the Clock Tower big-wigs and all.

“Plenty of suspicion and theories going about. Ol Beargawker swears that it was that it was a showoff between the corrupt members of the Towers and the Enforcers. Eh, likelier that some initiate blew up while playing around with things he shouldn't.”

“Wouldn’t be surprising, considering the crap they keep there.”

“And of course there was that waffle about the Church and the Te… Whoops, almost forgot myself there.” A brief silence, as the man gave Gendou a pointed look. “And that is the end of your free sample, I’m afraid. Anything additional will have a pricetag.”

"While this ain't a bad, got anything a bit more exotic?"
    "Been around the block when it comes to these things and prefer to work with the more interesting stuff if you catch my meaning."

“Not much of an alchemist, are you, kid? Even initiates would have more respect for basic reagents, considering that they are almost always required…”

The shopkeeper's eyes held an inquisitive glint for a moment.

“A necromancer? You don’t look like a ritualist with more money than sense…” Suddenly the man waved his hand as if banishing his queries. “Baah, I’m not being paid to pry. Why do I bother?”

Instead, the man’s hands vanished underneath the stall counter. When they returned, they were holding another jar, this one far larger than the container in your hands that held the blood worm. Three long fangs, each approximately thirty centimeters in length, rested in the transparent jar. Splotches of dried blood were still visible on the bony surface of the teeth, although judging by their worn surface, whatever beast owned the teeth had been dead for some time.

The man rolled the lollipop around in his mouth as he spoke.

“Teeth of a kishi. Keep your hands away from them, though. They have a nasty curse on them that causes them to dig into whatever living flesh they touch. Can’t get rid of the bloody bastards either, unless you feel up to begging in front those lunatics in the Tenth.”

Blog Entries
    Alexandra Chimeragenos
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)

"As I thought."

Eyes pressed hauntingly forward, unwaveringly, Lord Chimeragenos inspected the red marks of the others Marisbury had beckoned into the gathering. Without so much as a flicker of movement, her pale rouge pupils peered over the marks presented thus far.

It was a conscious decision on the part of Alexandra to ignore the stifling atmosphere. McRemitz and Kanzaki both held themselves with a palpable wariness toward the lord’s being. Such a thing was common, and the giant like woman wasn’t unaccustomed to it. The woman was not holding herself firmly and reservedly out of consideration for her standing, rather, this was her default state. In that sense, she was being as ‘carefree and herself’ as Lord Animusphere. Just in her case, her carefree natural disposition was rigid, blunt and inconsiderate of her surroundings.

A stark contrast to the other Lord, as well as the Enforcer, Blackmore, who wasted no time following Velvet’s lead and brandishing his own marks.

A crunch was visualized in the mind of Alexandra Chimeragenos von Marchosias. Jaws slammed shut, crushing, rending and puncturing.

Warmth ran through her body, and the crimson brands flared over the back of her right hand with a faint glow, the same as they had appeared the previous night.

As one of the magus most knowledgeable in alteration of her own constitution, the markings that resembled the skull of a ram puzzled her. Alexandra had stayed up all night inspecting the markings. At the least she had determined them to not be a type of curse, which had been her first assumption. Had it not been for Lord Animusphere calling for her the woman would likely be in her workshop, severing the marked hand to further examine the markings to elucidate their meaning, cause and purpose, but now it seemed likely that agreeing to answer her fellow Lord’s invitation would prove itself worthwhile.

Despite the man being who he was, Marisbury Animusphere still held position as Head of the Eighth Faculty. His divinations would be reliable.

Clearly, the man knew something about the marks, and so Alexandra waited patiently for him to share what he knew of them.

Blog Entries
    Tohsaka Akechi & Mori Shiori
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    ???? - Tokiomi's Study

"Father, I've been waiting for this chance ever since I started at the Clock Tower. It makes me happy that I can both honor and protect my family at the same time."

“For all you have done for me, I will do my utmost to ensure the victory of the Tohsakas.”
    Tokiomi raised his glass towards the two of you once more.

“I am glad to hear it. The fortunes of this family, for the large part, now rest in your hands.” A slight smile played on the patriarch's lips. “This is the only path remaining for us now. Even if the Association would allow us, heading back to Japan empty-handed is not an option. The Tohsaka name would be mangled beyond all recognition.”

“At the very least, we must claim the Grail from the Association. While it is always important to keep an eye on the greater picture, this should be your primary concern for the time being.”

“With the structure of this War being so unconventional, predicting the moves of all the players ahead of time will most likely prove to be difficult.”

“There is no need to put the cart before the horse. We first need to have a better understanding of the cards on the table.”

It was clear that the Tohsaka patriarch was hesitant to make too far-reaching plans, considering the scale of the opponent you were about to face. The Clock Tower was a colossus in its own right, consisting of hundreds, if not thousands of magi and possessing almost overwhelming magical strength. Contesting them with three families, no matter how prestigious would be impossible. Which is why the structure of this War was so vital to creating a level playing field behind the two forces.

Though in all honesty, the Three Families were still most likely outmatched.

Tokiomi's soft voice broke the silence once more.

“Speaking of which...”

Tokiomi gestured to a nearby shelf, where two magical contraptions were standing. A quick glance clearly identified them as magical energy conductors. A contraption that allowed for long-distance communication between individuals, with almost no possibility of detection or interception. A pretty archaic approach to communication, honestly, considering the modern era, but definitely not without its usages or benefits. Though, considering that these two models seemed much smaller than the one in the Tohsaka residence in Fuyuki, perhaps the head of the Tohsaka family wasn’t quite as allergic to progress as he seemed at first glance.

“I’d like the two of you to have these. Proper communication is key to warfare and it would be wise for all of us to keep in touch.”

Placing his now empty wine glass down, Tokiomi sat back down behind his massive mahogany desk.

“There is one more thing. While I am sure you are eager to start your plans for the war, I do have one request to make from the two of you.”

Opening the drawer, the man in red pulled out two…. tickets?

“Would you like to join me, Sakura, and Rin for the opera tonight? It’s Beethoven’s Fidelio, and I must admit it was quite a hassle to procure tickets at such short notice.” A slightly self-deprecating smile appeared on the family heads face. “A mistake I hopefully won’t make twice. Regardless, I would make me more than happy if you had the time to join us later tonight.”

Tokiomi extended the two tickets towards Akechi and Shiori.

Blog Entries
    Tohsaka Akechi q
    15th of December, 2004 q
    Morning (Phase 1-1) K
    ???? - Tokiomi's Study E

Father raises his glass towards us again. I calmly follow suit. c

"I am glad to hear it. The fortunes of this family, for the large part, now rest in your hands. This is the only path remaining for us now. Even if the Association would allow us, heading back to Japan empty-handed is not an option. The Tohsaka name would be mangled beyond all recognition.

At the very least, we must claim the Grail from the Association. While it is always important to keep an eye on the greater picture, this should be your primary concern for the time being.”
    I agreed with Father. We didn't come this far for nothing. Grandfather spent his whole life preparing for this. Father spent his whole life preparing for this. I've spent my life preparing for this. We haven't gotten this far just for us to... go back home with our tail tucked between our legs. We won't accept that. Someone will have the Grail at the end. I just need for it to be on my side. X

“With the structure of this War being so unconventional, predicting the moves of all the players ahead of time will most likely prove to be difficult.

There is no need to put the cart before the horse. We first need to have a better understanding of the cards on the table.”
    With the war as big as it is... Predicting everyone's moves would be next to impossible. It would require even more work and specialized equipment to monitor our enemies and open communication with our allies. y

“Speaking of which... I’d like the two of you to have these. Proper communication is key to warfare and it would be wise for all of us to keep in touch."
    That's when Father showed us a new version of magical energy conductors. They were notably smaller than the ones at home. They weren't as mobile as cell phones by any means, but they were definitely more secure because detection and interception were nigh impossible. Granted, the mages who would use a telephone let alone a cell phone were far and in between. Speaking of communication, I wasn't particularly sure on how the White Team would be able to communicate with each other. Let alone know who was on our side. R

"Thank you Father for the gifts. Since we're on communication, do you happen to have contacts on the other members of the White Team? I know Gendou... But I'm afraid I don't have any means of contacting him. It would be useful if we can at least relay information to each other."

“There is one more thing. While I am sure you are eager to start your plans for the war, I do have one request to make from the two of you."

I finished my drink and was ready to head back to my house when Father went to pull something out of his drawer.

"Would you like to join me, Sakura, and Rin for the opera tonight? It’s Beethoven’s Fidelio, and I must admit it was quite a hassle to procure tickets at such short notice. A mistake I hopefully won’t make twice. Regardless, I would make me more than happy if you had the time to join us later tonight.”
    Tickets to a concert that I shouldn't risk someone spotting me with our soon to be belligerent family. I really shouldn't but this might be the last time, I could see any of them. If I had to think of my last thought with them, I would like to say it was a happy one.

"Father, I'll attend as your daughter for one last night... Afterwards, I'm Kurebayashi Akechi the resident helper/healer of the Clock Tower who doesn't know about this war or the Tohsakas."

Blog Entries
    Aila Einzbern
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Oxford Street

Lapis turned scarlet, clearly as embarrassed as you were.

“Mi...milady! Please don’t embarrass me like this. Lady Irisviel is one thing but even you…?”

Clearly shy, the white-haired butler turned her back to the two of you, instead preferring to focus her attention on one of the walls of the changing stall. Nevertheless, you could swear that a slight waver of satisfaction was visible from underneath Lapis’s obvious embarrassment. Iri looked at the two of you with a wide motherly smile on her face. Giving the suited girl a pat on her shoulder, a joyful grin blossomed on the older homunculi’s face.

“Aila liked it! Bullseye! Isn’t it great, Lapis?”

The only response by the younger girl was a murmur of some sort, turned incomprehensible by her intense embarrassment.

"Um... Lady Irisviel... It makes me happy to see you take such an interest in Lapis, but... If it wouldn't be any trouble... Might I be so selfish as to ask you to show some of that enthusiasm in me?"
    It was like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

It only took a second for Irisviel to walk out of the changing cabinet and appear in front of you. Really, you could have sworn that it was teleportation of some sort. Another second later, the white-haired girl had grabbed your hand and was dragging Aila towards the showroom, causing Ushabti to let out a dissatisfied grunt, as the moving limbs nearly knocked his newspaper out of his hands. Reaching the showroom, Iri gave Aila a final glance, trying to take in the younger girl’s measurements, before starting to pick up seemingly numerous items of clothing from the countless racks.

"Hmm… this blue cocktail dress... this jacket… this skirt... oh and this blazer…”

In mere moments, almost a dozen items of clothing were in Irisviel’s hands and she was already dragging you back from where you had come from moments ago.

“Oh, this is going to be so much fun.”

Lapis was still muttering something incomprehensible as you passed her in the hallway.

Suddenly you found yourself in the dressing room next to the one that your butler had used mere moments ago. The curtains closed and you found yourself quickly being divested of your clothes. It was almost uncanny. Though you still weren’t quite sure whether Irisviel actually had any significant experience in picking clothes or whether it was her sheer boundless enthusiasm. And then...

You suddenly felt Iri’s motions from behind you halt to a standstill.

Her fingers were resting on Aila’s Command Seal.

“Aila.” Iri’s voice was quiet and filled with an almost strange… sadness? “Find your own path. Even if that path is no different than the one laid out for you by Acht, you can still take pride in it if it is one that you have chosen.”

The young green-haired girl was enveloped in a hug and a gentle hand rested on her head.

“Do not give up, okay?”

Blog Entries
    Aila Einzbern
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Oxford Street

It's a sudden shift, but one I understand to have been inevitable.

Once Lady Irisviel placed her hand on my back, I knew immediately what it was that troubled her. I can feel it. My own magical energy reacting to hers. It etches a definitive pattern and practically carves itself into my flesh. So, even if it's not within my sight, I can see it clearly. That burning red mark that appeared on me suddenly.

I'm having a hard time determining why, but the mere sight of this marking has created something of an awkward moment. To my understanding, we came out today to have fun. To enjoy ourselves and develop our own individualities. But now, I'm standing here, being embraced by a woman I respect, and the only thing I can think of is sadness.

I don't like it... I don't like it one bit. But in spite of this feeling, I can't help relish the warm embrace of another. To feel someone secure me in their arms and draw me into their own warmth... It's an odd feeling of security that I feel starkly contrasts the road ahead of me.

I don't know what to say. I don't know what I can say. But I just know that this is not how I want this moment to go.

"Lady Irisviel," I peek over my shoulder. Placing my hands over Irisviel's arms so as to tell her not to let me go, "... It's okay. These kinds of things are a bit complicated... And I'm really not entirely sure I understand it all yet, but... In a way, I'm glad things are the way they are."

I attempt to sort out all these complicated feelings and thoughts while being concise. It's hard. Challenging even. But I owe it to Lady Irisviel to try and convey myself the best I can.

"I've... read in books that people go their entire lives in search of a purpose. So, I kind of consider myself fortunate that I was born with one. Even if it's not of my own making."

Briefly clutching Lady Irisviel's hand, I consider these words I let slip without thinking. What they mean to me. What they will mean to her. And why it sounds like I'm trying to convince myself of something. Ultimately, I have no answer. Only rampant thoughts. And in the midst of it all, Lady Irisviel's words become intermixed and constantly fight their way to the top.

There was something else I wished to say, but now it's lost. There is doubt in me, but I understand this is the purpose I am to serve. So I guess I'll leave it at that...

"Um... Anyway... I would like to try on that dress you picked out now."

My time is already short. If anything, I'd rather not spend it on troubling matters.
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Blog Entries
    Mori Shiori
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    ???? - Tokiomi's Study

As the family head continued his characteristic musings, Shiori listened attentively.

Certainly his words were logical, but his typical attitude made it difficult to tell if he was being cautious or laidback. Even she who knew the importance of patience felt that Tokiomi’s approach was rather passive for the aggressors of the war. Well, not that she would say anything.

Surprisingly, Tokiomi brought out two communication devices, one for each of the two girls. She accepted it with thanks, of course, but…

Wouldn’t it just be more effective to share phone numbers?

No matter how she thought about it, her Nokia felt like a better option. It was portable, simple to use, and practically indestructible. It could even share photos! She knew from her training that her Master was old-fashioned but this felt overboard… no, wait, perhaps there was a special function that only it could accomplish. Maybe it could be used as a weapon of some kind…

“There is one more thing. While I am sure you are eager to start your plans for the war, I do have one request to make from the two of you.”
    While Shiori was wondering whether the communication device could shoot fireballs, her teacher had pulled out another set of items from his mahogany furniture, tickets to the night’s opera.

“Would you like to join me, Sakura, and Rin for the opera tonight? It’s Beethoven’s Fidelio, and I must admit it was quite a hassle to procure tickets at such short notice.”
    Wow, that sounds really boring. I didn’t even know Beethoven made an opera. I thought he just made piano music.

“That sounds delightful.” Shiori responded after Akechi gave her reply, clapping her hands together. Her smile quickly turned solemn, though.

“However… I’ll have to refuse your kind invitation.” She took the ticket and slid it back to the man. “Although I appreciate your generosity, I believe this evening belongs to you and your daughters. It is not my place to intrude on your family’s affairs.”

Immediately, the polite pupil rose from her seat and turned in a way to face both Tokiomi and Akechi.

“If that is all, I’d like to excuse myself for the day. I have some matters to attend to as well.”

It was a squire’s excuse, she had nothing planned, but it was suitably effective considering her position.

“It has been a pleasure conversing with the two of you after so long, and I will be sure to keep in touch. I hope your evening will be a memorable one.”

“If you ever need anything, feel free to message me. As always, your word is my command.”

With that, she made a 30 degree bow and turned towards the door, carrying the communication device off with her. As she made her exit, she repeated a few directives in her mind, as to strengthen her own resolve. The Tohsakas were important allies and connections. It was thanks to them that she was able to join the war. However, now that she was here, it would probably be best not to get too close to them, as much as she liked them. Otherwise, it could cause the decisions she would have to make in the future to be more… difficult.

Well, for now, they were vital to victory, so she simply made her polite leave.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Dranes's Avatar
    Gendou Matou
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Sutton Lane

"Just when you were getting to the good part," With an exaggerated shrug, Gendou let out a sigh, "But I suppose in the end we all need to put food on the table."

"Still an alchemist or necromancer? I like to think my work is a bit more sophisticated."

It wasn't much, at least to someone who was out of the loop of what was soon to happen in this place. The Clock Tower screwing something up was likely an uncommon occurrence but considering just where this little disturbance had come from and the amount of heads rolling...well it didn't necessary mean that what had happened was related to his own reasons for coming. The amount of dangerous trinkets that they had gathered over the years means that any one of them could have gone off or as this man had said, a little bit of infighting had occurred.

After all the Clock Tower was quite the...political organization, with its various groups all vying for the top spot.

But it couldn't be ignored, the one coincidence that would make one think otherwise: the appearance of Command Seals on his left hand.

It was likely that what the Matous and their ancient allies were searching for was located there, stored with the rest of the Clock Tower's toys as if it was just another trophy.

The Greater Grail of Fuyuki.

"Now then, since you've caught my attention so well. Well that and those "

Gendou gave a quick glance to the jar where the teeth rested. Guess it was time to do some business.

A Kishi was it? He had heard of them before, beasts from Angolan Folklore, two-faced creatures who tricked the foolish to get close before making a quick meal out of them. How this guy had managed to get his hands on three teeth however...well, it seemed that this place truly was full of surprises. From the looks of it, they could easily pierce flesh and bone with the aid of the powerful jaws of the phantasmal beast in question. Replicating the strength of the jaws wouldn't be out of the question for mages of this era but then again was it worth it? No, the real thing to take away from this set of aged pokers was the power of the curse that these fangs held which would leave the poor victim maimed for life. Or until a Clock Tower big name stepped in.

Handy.

Finishing his smoke, Gendou reached into his inner pocket.

"So the question is 'what's the price?', if they're the real deal then you'll want quite a bit from me, huh?"

"Money? Information? Some sorta favour? Not really big on that last one."

As he finished, he placed his own jar on the table. Smaller in size but arguably much more 'vibrant' than the merchandise the man was peddling.

A sickening green liquid filled a third of the jar with the fumes released by the strange liquid coloring the rest of the transparent container in the same greenish hue. It was enough that the simple colour would instinctively cause to edge away. Whatever it was, taking a sip of it was bound to get you killed.

"Good to see that this container actually worked when it came to holding this stuff."

" A special kind of poison, not something you'd find easily I'd wager."

"A hybridization of the famous Hydra venom along with the poison glands of the Death Worm of Mongolia. 'Course this means that the liquid itself isn't just extremely lethal, but it's also corrosive. Took a bit of time to get something that was able to hold the stuff just right. Quick acting with noxious fumes that last up to an hour after the liquid is gone."

Rotating the jar, Gendou gave himself a nod, happy that nothing was leaking.

"A little pet project of mine but I'm willing to part with a bit of it. Problem of course is that it's quite lethal, just a sniff or a drop and boom! You got a corpse on your hands."

He took out his box of cigarettes, glancing at the man with a wry smile.

"So I suggest not opening that jar."

Another cigarette, another day. Shame he was running out of these things.

"Unless you're interested in an early grave of course."