Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Arwyn Cadfael Penrith
    15th of December, 2004
    Morning (Phase 1-1)
    Westminster Cathedral

"Only the victor is granted the right to behold the Grail?"
    “You are correct. The Grail will only manifest once the one worthy to possess it has been selected through the crucible that is the Holy Grail War.”

Father Kotomine’s voice was dispassionate, almost clinical as he calmly responded to Arwyn’s query. The priest had been surprisingly cooperative, considering the subject matter. By any stretch of the imagination, the topics being discussed currently could not be considered to be anything but the vilest of heresy, yet the older clergyman spoke of them with an almost casual ease, almost as if talking about the daily weather or the new construction project down the road. The church included many people from all kinds of origins, of course, but…

Well, at the very least, the strange priest seemed to be well versed in the topic at hand.

Kotomine’s brown eyes bored into Arwyn’s, almost as if the man was trying to peer into the very soul of the young man in front of him.

“I see. Initially, I thought that the existence of the ritual itself might be the cause, but… It's not that your faith has been shaken. You are simply afraid of the truth.”

“A peculiar paradox, is it not? Your faith isn’t sufficient enough to allow you to ignore the niggling, almost everpresent, doubt that burns within your chest. Yet you are also afraid of answering that very same doubt.”

“After all, we do not ask questions for which we know the answer.”

Kotomine’s gaze turned away from Arwyn.

“Irrespective of the truths you may find, you need not lose sleep on the origin of the ritual itself. As I said, the ritual at hand is completely and wholly a product of men, nothing more. Free will of mankind is its origin, not a divine mandate.”

The priest's voice took on a somber, almost sanctified, note.

“For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.”

“Much as with any war or tragedy brought forth by the follies of man, everything shall be judged at the end of all things. But not before. For we must be free to choose the actions for which we will be judged.”

"Am I to participate as a Master of one of the two teams, Father?"
    “If you wish to. It is my role to administer and act as a supervisor for this War, but it is not my role to act in some manner to preserve the balance between the two sides. The choice of who to side with, should you choose to join this war, is up to you.”

“Speaking of which…”

“What is your decision, Arwyn Cadfael Penrith? If you choose not to join the War and ask for refuge, then the Church shall ensure your safety for the duration of the Grail War.”

“After all, willful ignorance is also a choice a man can make.”
    Last edited by Mellon; February 5th, 2018 at 05:30 PM.