• Leave her dead

21 32.81%
  • Want her back, 10/10, would kill again

14 21.88%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Thread: Olga Marie in F/GO

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Oh, I understood that perfectly.
    I'm just baffled as to how the writes choosing to make literally no changes in writing to accommodate a yuri pairing is a "me" problem.
    What exactly do you think needs to be changed to "accommodate" a yuri pairing?

Are you saying that a lesbian can't love another girl in the same way a man could? (Emotionally I mean, obviously the physical side of love is another matter entirely)

kookaburra screams in the distance Dullahan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    sniff but is it not the assimilation of all relationships, however superficially different, under the singular Master-narrative of a bourgeois heterosexual romance that is precisely the characteristic gesture of liberal ideology? I am willing to accept the Other in her difference only to the extent that such difference is safely circumscribed within the same.
    けい
    せい
    じゃく

Εις οιωνός άριστος, αμύνεσθαι περί πάτρις Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    What exactly do you think needs to be changed to "accommodate" a yuri pairing? Does lesbian love need to be portrayed as inherently "different" from hetero romance?
    Is it not? Does it not?
    What specific changes there should or could be are not my place to tell, but unless we're willing to accept that Hakuno and Hakunon are the exact same person plus or minus some fiddly bits, it stands to reason their plotlines should have had at least a cosmetic difference here and there.

Is it not? Does it not?
    What specific changes there should or could be are not my place to tell, but unless we're willing to accept that Hakuno and Hakunon are the exact same person plus or minus some fiddly bits, it stands to reason their plotlines should have had at least a cosmetic difference here and there.
    They are the same person though, just with genders swapped. That's literally the entire point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    sniff but is it not the assimilation of all relationships, however superficially different, under the singular Master-narrative of a bourgeois heterosexual romance that is precisely the characteristic gesture of liberal ideology? I am willing to accept the Other in her difference only to the extent that such difference is safely circumscribed within the same.
    Dullahan, I generally agree with what you have to say about 50% of the time, but I completely fail to understand what you're talking about the other 50%. How does liberal ideology even enter the discussion here?

- - - Updated - - -

They are the same person though, just with genders swapped. That's literally the entire point.
    And therein lies the rub. If you met yourself from another timeline where you were a girl, would you be the exact same person with different bits? Think on this one for a bit.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; May 24th, 2018 at 01:25 PM.

Dullahan, I agree with what you have to say about 50% of the time, but I completely fail to understand what you're talking about the other 50%. How does liberal ideology even enter the discussion here?
    I mean, bringing in random political/philosophical references even when it's completely inappropriate is basically Dullahan's shtick (that and raging against GO). Might as well complain about Nero saying "umu".

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not exactly one to complain either. But at least I try to take myself a little less seriously...

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I mean, bringing in random political/philosophical references even when it's completely inappropriate is basically Dullahan's shtick (that and raging against GO). Might as well complain about Nero saying "umu".
    He's basically criticising the view that writing female-female relationships exactly as if they were male-female relationships is more enlightened (enlightenment understood here as an awareness of the existence of gender roles in society and how harmful they can be).
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.

I dislike the "hurr we need more X type of characters in media because diversity" agenda certain parties are pushing, but there is a point to be made there. Simply put, one's gender signifies and affects way more than just some fiddly bits down there, and that's before going into interpersonal relationships between genders. Think of your best friend, for example- would your relationship have developed the same if either you or them were a different gender? Gender equality does not, and should not, equate homogenisation.
    (An argument which, incidentally, could be applied to a lot of similar debates, but that's beyond the scope of the current discussion).
    Last edited by Deathhappens; May 25th, 2018 at 05:34 AM.