Thread: Throne of Heroes paradoxes

Throne of Heroes paradoxes

Trying to make sense of some issues with the Throne of Heroes time paradoxes. Excuse the long rant.

So the Throne of Heroes is known to exist outside the time axis but does this mean that a Heroic Spirit who exist there have knowledge of every possible timeline of their existences? Evidence shows that this is not the case, or at least it is not the case for their Servant selves, as each Servant clearly only remember one personal timeline. In the original Fate Stay Night, Servants did not remember any other instances of their summonings, as they are just reflections or avatars of the Heroic Spirit and not the actual Heroic Spirit themselves, with a few special exceptions such as Artoria, who has not yet died and did not come from Throne or Heroes. In FGO; however, this does not seem to be the case anymore, which really complicates things cuz it means that not only does the Heroic Spirit remember every possible timeline of their lives but also every possible timeline of every possible summoning of every possible timeline, making everything a cluster-fuck.

My theory to explain this is that while it could be possible for Heroic Spirits in the Throne to have memories of all their timelines (or at least timelines where they do qualify to become Heroic Spirits), when a Servant is summoned to a specific timeline, he will only have knowledge of his history in that timeline. Or it could be possible that an infinite number of versions of a specific Hero could exist in the Throne, each for a different timeline. But how does this explain Emiya, who comes from a timeline that is very different from the ones Shirou could take? Perhaps its because he comes from a timeline that is still open to the current timeline that he is being summoned to, meaning you cannot summon from a past that is on a different time axis but summoning from the future is less restrictive? This is assuming that each timeline isn't already set in stone, meaning that the "Fate" and "HF" route are just branches of a shared root timeline rather than being entirely different timelines altogether.

How then do you explain FGO, where the Servants summoned are from timelines that are CLEARLY mutually exclusive to each other and to the FGO timeline itself? Examples are Artoria who is familiar with Emiya, Jeanne who remembers events of Apocrypha, and Illya who is from the Prisma universe. Perhaps because Chaldea exist outside the time axis, it is able to summon Servants from ANY timeline but since it was originally from the FGO timeline, that is the only timeline that it is trying to affect or it is the only timeline that it can directly travel to?

Lastly, FGO itself is just iffy as hell. First of all, you cannot summon an Artoria Alter cuz she does not exist in the Throne of Heroes, it is not part of her history or legend in life, Alter is created by the regular Artoria being summoned and then corrupted by the Grail. Though I SUPPOSE that since Artoria in Fate Stay Night was her original living self, you could say that being corrupted by the Grail is be part of her life history. Then there's loli Jeanne Alter. My theory is that anything in FGO that is not part of the main story are just jokes and silliness and not to be taken too seriously. Artoria Alter in the Fuyuki chapter can still make sense if she is just a corrupted regular Artoria and its stated that Jeanne Alter in the Orleans chapter is a sort of artificial Servant. It doesn't help that since not everything is written by Nasu, who the hell knows what is canon and what is not?

Forgive me if this has already been addressed in the FGO story, as I do not understand Japanese.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocko View Post
    My theory to explain this is that while it could be possible for Heroic Spirits in the Throne to have memories of all their timelines (or at least timelines where they do qualify to become Heroic Spirits), when a Servant is summoned to a specific timeline, he will only have knowledge of his history in that timeline.
    As far as I can tell this is pretty much true. Heroic Spirits on the Throne "remember" all their summons, but as Servants they can only access memories pertaining to their original life and whatever modern information the Grail fills them in on. The way it's described in canon is that a Heroic Spirit on the Throne is a complete book, while a Servant is like a single page torn out from that book.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    If you have questions or miscellaneous thoughts or ideas, we have threads for that.

But here's the answer: do you actually recall every single word in every single book you've ever read? Servants are like that and Emiya's commentary about how things are recorded for him even uses book metaphors. You're never going to remember all of the obscure single lines from that one book you read thirteen years ago...unless you come across the perfect circumstances that make you remember, oh, yeah, that's how it went, you reminded me. That's what's happening when Servants remember other stuff.

Then there's loli Jeanne Alter. My theory is that anything in FGO that is not part of the main story are just jokes and silliness and not to be taken too seriously.
    Well, you would be wrong, since jokes are some top canon and "jokes and silliness" show up in the "main story" too. People really have to get over this idea that somehow some things are canon and others are not in a setting where bloomers Illya tells you how bad you fucked up in the meta, a divine spirit inhabits a school teacher wearing a kigurumi, and talking cats contemplate on how unisex beams are.

Loli Jeanne Alter is a Jeanne Alter that drank Gil's youth potion and then spent quite a while on a quest to make sure she doesn't disappear. It's not any less canon than Medb's crustaceous fetish or Super High School-Level Heroic Spirits needing to chill.

First of all, you cannot summon an Artoria Alter cuz she does not exist in the Throne of Heroes, it is not part of her history or legend in life
    neither is "being female" but

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    People really have to get over this idea that somehow some things are canon and others are not in a setting where bloomers Illya tells you how bad you fucked up in the meta, a divine spirit inhabits a school teacher wearing a kigurumi, and talking cats contemplate on how unisex beams are.
    Is it canon now that Ciel got her love of curry from
    Curry Du Marche
    a curry-loving Dead Apostle
    in India?

JP Friend Code
    Nobody on this hellsite knows what canon actually means

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's the things that you put on galleons to sink other ships right?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    It's the things that you put on galleons to sink other ships right?
    That's cannon, I guess. XD

In all seriousness, canon is non - existent in the Nasuverse. That's why they have what they call routes.

That also explains why the timeline of Kara no Kyoukai novel is different from the timeline of Kara no Kyoukai movies.
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Is it canon now that Ciel got her love of curry from
    Curry Du Marche
    a curry-loving Dead Apostle
    in India?
    The Indian Dead Apostle
    Editor "Curry De Marche."
    All (Laugh)
    Editor He's connected to a lot of fun stories.
    Nasu Curry De Marche... how should I explain this? (Laughs) There was this manga called 「Tsukihime of the Day」 on the Neko Musume Tei page, (*13) and Curry Cook (*14) appeared in it. I won't go into my own feelings on this... (Laughs) Anyway, he's a really nice guy. He's a Dead Apostle... I guess I shouldn't be so serious about this, we're just talking about curry (Laughs) But anyway, the church doesn't really care about him. Like, "It won't hurt to just let him be." And he's also really good friends with Ciel.
    OKSG Is all this canon? (*15)
    Nasu Yeah, pretty much. (Laughs)
    Editor It's hard to believe the Burial Agency just getting up and going to India. Apparently, this was also Ciel's first job.
    Nasu Yes. But why India? (Laughs)

I like how the guy made his big post and then left soon after.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Wait, did they hate Ciel so much that her first job is in India?

And what or who will she execute there?
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Yeah they remember, but mostly only the major one
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    There is a thread called Question Question