Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2345691454 ... LastLast

Thread: [Quest] Lost Singularity - Fimbulwinter

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries

Because versatility, sounds like very good choice for his supposed affinity and the chuuniest name out of the three.

The Icon of Self-Deprecation Xaodzilla's Avatar

Without a doubt. It has the most potential for improvement and development, and like others have said before me...

Hard Mode Engage
    I was reading through the magecraft types again, and I change my answer to 2, mainly because I feel like versatility would be a good thing to have.
    Last edited by Xaodzilla; May 2nd, 2018 at 12:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    A strong start is always good

JP Friend Code
    Theosophy might be fun. 2

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Call me a sucker, but I really liked Shirou's progression from fixing heaters to summoning an inner world made of swords. Option 3.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quest Master's Note
    Alright, after this, as I mentioned before, the quest will go on break for at least 2 weeks due to travel. I'll leave the last poll (Javier's magecraft) open until I return. I guess I'll use the time thinking on how to make things more troublesome and awesome for you people. See you around.
    Hostel “Casa Volante” – Dormitory
    Day 0
    Afternoon Phase – 02
    Temperate (5 °C/41 °F)

Character Status
    Health: Optimal
    ?????: Optimal
    ?????: Stable
    ?????: Optimal
    With a full stomach, the body slows down one gear. Really, the impulse to just lie down on the bed and take a long nap is fearsome. I understand how less disciplined, less active people just surrender to it. In my case, I will take a few slow minutes to organize my stuff before deciding what to do next. Is there a laundry machine somewhere around here? It will be useful to know that for the future.

Aside of the rustling of my hands in my large hiker’s backpack, the other sound in the room comes from Maria brushing her teeth. Ah, so she’s a roamer too. Mother is the type who brushes her teeth without moving a step from the sink.

I spare a glance at the American girl as she crosses the room and opens the window, allowing a chilly breeze to rush into the room and making my hairs stand on end.

“Holy crap that’s colder than I expected,” the girl complains as she hurriedly closes the window again. “My bad.”

I only grunt dismissively, but the girl does have a point: it is unusually cold, both for the time of the year and the time of the day. I didn’t hear anything in the weather reports aboard the Elysium. Anyway, gotta take out that jacket…

“Phew~” Maria exhales moments later after completing her mouth-cleaning ritual. “Hmm, hmm, guess I should get going,” she then declares before approaching me. Or rather, her bed.

There are two bunkbeds in this room, and I am pretty sure when I came here this morning I picked the one which didn’t have a bed already claimed. When did this girl move her things to claim the bed on top of mine? Is this her equivalent of the child who sleeps with a night light?

“Going to the church?”

“Um,” she nods while checking the contents of her side bag. “Shouldn’t dally…”

Her voice drops for a moment and I don’t quite catch the rest.

“Hmm?”

“Eh? Ah, nada, nada~” Back to loud it is, I guess. Might as well…

“You have business with Father Scherer?”

Never have I seen a head jerk so quickly. And now that I think about it, this might just be the first time she is not wearing a smile on her face. I’m seated on my bed, so the way she unblinkingly looks down at me makes my innards twist, and I’m the one who looks away first.

Sometimes, rarely, I hate this part of myself.

“You know the Father.” It is not a question. Maria’s serious voice is as intense as her easygoing one.

“Mah, everyone does around here,” I feel like clarifying for some reason. I finally finish reorganizing the contents of my backpack after taking out the jacket. Half of my brain trying to dispel the uncomfortable feeling by deftly working on the large backpack’s cords.

“But, yeah, Father Scherer is an, um, old…acquaintance. So don’t go and cause him any trouble.”

Maria chuckled at that, but it didn’t carry her usual mirth. It was…sardonic? Ironic? Dunno what’s the word I’m looking for.

“And if you cause him trouble, don’t tell him I showed you the way.”

At last, the cold atmosphere lightens as the girls laughs with her usual merriness.

“No way, no way! I must tell him all about the gentleman, Javier Lucero.”

She pronounces it “Xavier”. Oh well.

“Ugh…”

After laughing one last time, Maria hung the strap of her bag around her neck and made for the door.

“But really, thanks for lunch, Javier. When I’m done with everything I’ll make it up to you, um, somehow. Maybe.”

“That last word. Thank carefully about that last word.”

Her grin is bright. Very bright. Yes, this girl is sunny. That is probably the best word I can use to describe her…and the grin is gone, replaced with…is that, disbelief?

“What the fuck…?” she murmurs, suddenly changing plans and crossing the room again, back to the window. I follow her with my eyes, and inevitably see what caught her attention.

It’s snowing.

It’s fucking snowing.

It doesn’t snow in Valparaiso.

Moments later I am right by her side, watching the impossible. The street outside the window is not very busy, but the few people in my sight have also stopped to marvel at the white miracle.

Snow. Falling as far as the eye can see, and in growing amounts.

It is a beautiful scene, but…it’s surreal.

It’s so surreal, it is frightening.

I feel a hand grasping the hem of my jacket. Maria, too, gets it.

As the charming snowfall grows into an uncontrollable blizzard, the girl and I look up at the sun shining in the wrong place.

The real sun has been smothered by clouds. Whatever this thing is, it shines brightly above the sea, I’d guess less than a kilometer from the shore. It is large, a ball of white light ominous in its incongruence.

“What is…” Maria murmurs a pointless question.

My left hand accidentally brushes against her right, which she promptly pulls up by bending the arm. That brings her eyes away from the bizarre outdoors. I have not really paid attention to her, until I notice she is (and now I am as well) now staring at the creepy bracelet around her wrist.

She whispers something. It sounds like “grandma”, but what hits me is the unbridled fear in her voice.

I’m afraid. I’m afraid, and the most fearsome thing is that I don’t know what exactly I’m afraid of.

That’s the second time today I experience this annoying confusion.

The sky is flooded with light, a single all-encompassing pulse, and we wince and bring our hands up to our faces. Had we been staring at the false white sun, it might have burnt our retinas.

The window cracks, and Maria reacts faster than me.

“Get down—!” she manages to cry out before the glass shatters inwards, and an utterly gelid blows us across the room. My right side complains as I fall on it. Maria too falls with a muted grunt.

It’s cold.

It’s cold.

It’s cold!

Freezing wind howls through the broken window, the frame itself cracking as a layer of frost rapidly encroaches upon it.

It hurts. My skin hurts. My ears feel like they’re on fire, and I have to close my eyes; my eyes will freeze!

I vaguely catch the sounds: someone screaming, a distant car crash. The howling wind smothers everything else. A hand reaches for my own; it is inhumanly cold. Everything is cold.

A second pulse of light from the distant sky is like a hammer to my brain. I can’t think anymore.

I’m gonna die.

I’m dead.

“Please, save this person too!”

“…very well. He shall act as our sustenance.”

The city is wrapped in cold.

Mankind has been betrayed.

The Human Order has been rejected.

Your life has come to a halt.

If you do not wish for this to be the last page of your story,
    Create a path to victory in this Fimbulwinter.

Prologue END

Warning!

This is a Save Point.

If your quest reaches a Dead End, you may choose to resume it from this point.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; May 22nd, 2018 at 11:50 AM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure that's just a natural part of the heating and cooling cycles throughout history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    This is the point where we supposedly get our free quartz.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Superstorm came earlier than usual.

So far, I'm excited for future developments; and two weeks of wait time is nothing.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    This is the point where we supposedly get our free quartz.
    Sorry, but I'm worse than DW.

No quartz, no friends, no apples, no Servants at the click of a button, Final Destination.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Rush View Post

No quartz, no friends, no apples, no Servants at the click of a button, Final Destination.
    Truly a hard mode.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wasnt expecting it to all to kick off straight after the prologue but I ain’t complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Rush View Post

Regardless I’m sticking with my choice of hard mode, I can’t think of many quests that have finished here (god knows I’m slow with mine) but if your CaS snippets are anything to go by, we’re in for a ride.

...I loved it! More, more!

Blog Entries
    Just to let you know, I am back. It'll still be a while until I post the next part. Needless to say, I got new ideas these past weeks, and I really gotta properly write the rules of the game before anything else.

The last poll will therefore remain open a while longer. Thus far it's Theosophy with a 5-4 lead.

Blog Entries

Let the Fun Begin

Quest Master's Note
    The magecraft poll is now closed. Looks like theosophy it is. I'll admit it's an unexpected result, but that's fun in its own way. Let's try to make Madam Blavatsky proud.
    In any case, let's get the fun started.
    FIMBULWINTER

?????
    Day ?
    ????? Phase – 01
    ???? (-?? °C/?? °F)

Character Status
    Health: Stable
    Sustenance: Poor
    Warmth: Optimal
    Stamina: Poor
    Consciousness returns. It is not the grogginess following a long sleep, but an overall feeling of weakness that permeates my body. And it is precisely because the body is weak, that the mind kickstarts right into high gear; because my mind is filled with a simple impression.

It is dangerous.

If I don’t respond in any way, my life will be in danger.

My eyes are still blurry, but I have other senses. Before my hearing, there’s touch. Pressure, a significant, but not alerting weight on my body. A not-unfamiliar feeling envelops me.

A sleeping bag.

But, the weight is greater than the usual. Further somethings are on top.

Both mind and sight clear up further.

I’m hungry.

I hear, the whispers of wind rushing through narrow spaces. I also feel it, even through the layers of warmth covering me. A cold wind is filling this room.

Cold.

Cold…

A second sun.

A window breaking.

Unfathomable cold.

That…that was something that happened, right!?

At last, my mind is clear and sharp as ever. I remember. Indeed, it is cold; I can tell. Outside of the comfort of this refuge, it is cold. It sucks, but I can’t stay here forever.

Taking a deep breath, I push my way out of my cave and into the light.

Gods, it’s cold as fuck—

Source (Edited with Adobe Photoshop)

Status Change
    Warmth: Optimal --> Poor

The fuck.

The fuck is this!?

I grit my teeth, feeling blood rushing into my eyes. It’s not the impossible cold from before, but it is definitely below zero degrees; I’m not wearing clothes for this kind of weather.

No good.

No good no good no good.

I’m shivering and breathing heavily, standing in the middle of the frozen room. I consciously know I should get a hold of myself, regulate my breathing and conserve energy, but it’s no good. That does nothing for me.

This whole situation is too abnormal!

No.

No no nonono, no!

I’m massaging my temples.

The situation is not normal. Come to terms with that, Javier Lucero, and then we can move on. Don’t take too long, you’re fucking freezing in here.

The situation is not normal. But I can’t freak out here. I can accept this, because I know magic exists. Even if the situation is too unbelievable, even if I had never seen other magical phenomena, because I am capable of magic myself, I am open to the possibility of other manifestations of magic to exist in this world.

Yes, I had noticed hints, here and there; the very fact I could make sense of Blavatsky’s ranting was the biggest one. But this is the first time I see it with my own eyes; magic other than my own.

But isn’t the difference in scale a little too overwhelming, goddammit!

Ah, there. I’ve calmed down. Good. Now let’s deal with this.

Maria.

Looking down at the piles of thick blankets and the sleeping bag, it’s safe to assume Maria was the one who wrapped me in that cocoon of warmth. In this cold, without proper clothes, she might have just saved my life.

But that also means Maria is safe. That’s good. Right now, I hafta focus on myself.

My guts are complaining at the lack of sustenance. How long have I been out of it?

Before anything else, though, I need warmth. My backpack…still here, wrapped in thick frost.

Unfortunately, I didn’t plan to stay so long in Valparaiso as to wait for winter. Hell, winter in Valparaiso is not even that cold in the first place. The point is, I don’t carry winter clothes with me right now, because I was planning to stick to the southern hemisphere at least until the end of the year. Sucks, huh.

I could stack layers of clothing but, ridiculous appearance aside, can I afford to sacrifice mobility in this, completely unknown, situation?

For now, I should at least put on my hooded jacket—

—ah, but there’s another option, isn’t there?

I don’t really know a thing about how my magic actually works, but I know that, when I “turn on” my magic power, my body heats up. It seems that even when it comes to magic, there is not a perfectly efficient system; energy is wasted in the form of heat. I could take advantage of that right now, but it’s clearly been a while since I had that chili con carne. Magic while low on fuel is a little risky.

Should I switch on the magic before leaving the room?

• Yes. No point in saving up fuel if the cold gets me before refilling the tank.
    • No. Let’s save on the magic for now.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; May 27th, 2018 at 08:58 AM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    No is smarter but Yes means that someone of interest could find us, so I'll say Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    No is smarter but Yes means that someone of interest could find us, so I'll say Yes.
    I'm down with this plan, mark me down as Yes.

Let's play it smart for now. I'm going with "No".

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nope.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Yes.

It's a singularity about cold and freezing, and it's says below zero degrees. This shit can kill us faster than anything hypothermia can throw at us.