Page 39 of 79 FirstFirst ... 293437383940414449 ... LastLast

Thread: [Quest] Lost Singularity - Fimbulwinter

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    “You are an ungrateful brat, your name is a stupid pun, and your father should be ashamed of himself.”
    I'm so proud (TvT)7

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways there's a lot of interesting buildup, looking forward to discovering what's up with Lily and Liria and whatever Seigi's working on. Finally,

GIANT NAZI ROBOT APPROACHING
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    "[...] your name is a stupid pun, and your father should be ashamed of himself."
    Hey, now! I've let all the little barbs in the narrative pass by without comment, but this is pun-shaming and I will not stand for it!

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Don’t save until we’re sure that Maria is okay and has at least partially subjugated Servant Saver Asshat to her will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    GIANT NAZI ROBOT APPROACHING
    As a Jewish man, it is my sworn duty to assist any way I can in the dismantling of that machine as Saver emasculates the antisemitic, racist, and homophobic cyborg within until he cries. Do the guns on the tank we stole still work? It’d be nice if we could shoot giant wind tunnels at the guy. Also, can anyone lend me a socket wrench?

It sure would be nice to have Magneto around though…
    Last edited by Draconic; April 19th, 2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

I think the save point was already created.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Drake Family Residence
    Day 03
    Evening Phase – 01
    Severe Cold (-277 °C/-16.6 °F)

Character Status
    Health: Stable
    Sustenance: Good
    Warmth: Good
    Stamina: Stable
    Regression Level 2
    (BGM)

“Ah, there you are, just where did you—oh, now what did you do?”

Such was Fiore Forvedge’s welcome upon my return to the Drakes’. Ironically, precisely because Mrs. Drake is resting in the guest room, where are the jade lanterns are set up, Maria has now claimed the main bedroom for herself. After all, as far as we know the cold doesn’t get to her.

I can’t see any sign of harm, and her vitals are normal. As long as she has magical energy, I don’t see anything else we can do.

Without ideas concerning Maria’s sudden—and admittedly a bit scary—bout of unconsciousness, I was dragged to the kitchen.

You. Fire is your thing, right? Well, start melting.

And that is how, yet again, I was about to become a living stove. Well, it’s how even the most basic of sustenance replenishment is achieved in this frozen city without services. The average person does not have the degree of survival training necessary to survive in this cold without electricity, gas, and access to fresh water.

“Um, is there anything I can do?”

“Sakura, how many times do I have to say it? Assassin didn’t replenish all the blood you lost out there. You should be resting.”

“But this is for Alicia’s sake! I want to help!”

So Sakura, pale and anemic and all, took over…ice-collecting duty, apparently? As for myself…

“Alright, Javier, you are getting the intensive alchemy course.”

“Um, I already know alchemy.”

“Marvelous! Paracelsian, I assume?”

“Um, no?”

“Oh, then the Agrippan school? Sendivogian? Or maybe based on the works of Dee and Kelley?”

“Uhh…”

“Ah, I see, you’re one of the exotic ones~ Geberian? Taoist? Rasaśāstra?”

“Uh…um, Blavatskian, I guess?”

“…oh. Um, well, I’ll just forget I heard that.”

Never have I felt this bad for a dead person. Of course, my feelings for the late Madam Blavatsky in no way stopped the pretty medic from dumping a bag of ordinary kitchen salt on my lap.

“Anyway, I’ll take over heating duty; please do a complete albedo on that, in the direction of Mars.”

“You usually need tools for that…?”

“Javier, if you cannot do alchemy in a kitchen, then you cannot call yourself an alchemist.”

Fiore Forvedge was loud and in charge, and it’s not like she can know about my Ekhtros spell.

The plan began to make sense when Miss Forvedge placed a bowl floating on the pot with hot water, when had Sakura close the pot with the lid upside down and dump snow and ice on top of it.

“You are distilling.”

“Less talking, more albedo.”

Truly, she became a completely different person. But it was the leadership of this bossy woman that, less than an hour later, has Alicia Drake plugged to a rudimentary IV line with saline.

We take them for granted in this modern society, but physicians are actually pretty damn amazing.

On the other hand, it says something about ourselves that we can sit on the living room and discuss an imminent crisis on our lives over tea at almost minus thirty degrees.

“That was some good magecraft you showed back there, Javier. The spell is clearly not as effective as a complete albedo, but it is certainly time-efficient.”

I nod at the praise.

“Got a new opinion of my theosophic alchemy, Miss Forvedge?”

“Not in the slightest.”

Damn. Does Madam Blavatsky have an unpopular opinion among mages or what?

(BGM STOP)

“It’s getting dark,” Sakura points out. There is not that much of a difference between daytime and nighttime in this frozen world, but it is noticeable enough. And the temperature has certainly fallen; now I can tell even within all these clothes.

“I take it we should assume there will be a new attack any time soon,” Fiore posits.

“That will be a problem.”

Unexpectedly, Oliver Drake joins the meeting. Sakura hurriedly gets up to prepare more tea.

“I would not recommend moving Mrs. Drake just yet,” Fiore explains. “Whatever that ice does to the people it traps, it is not cryogenic sleep. She is weak, as if malnourished. I suspect the people in the ice are being used as an energy source.”

“Fuckers…”

I do not ignore Oliver’s curse, but Sakura does say something more meaningful.

“But, they already have a Grail. That’s what Miss Maria said.”

I nod. I remember that, too.

“If they already the power of a wish-granting device, why do they need energy from people?”

“And the leylines,” Oliver then adds. “I’d say we have to assume they’ve also got geomantic control.”

Fiore nods.

“It is clear that these…Nazis, are working on a project of colossal scope. All the more reason for them to eradicate anything that could get in their way.”

(BGM)

I can’t stop myself from glancing in the direction of the open door to the main bedroom, where Maria sleeps.

She is the one.

The Maid said it: she is the one with the power to end whatever is happening in this city. She is the Nazis’ first and foremost target.

“Mister Drake, I’m sorry.” The words leave my mouth before I can even think. “I…Maria and I, we brought them to your door, and now they’re coming for us—”

“Say no more, man.” He is not smoking, but his right hand fiddles with the box of cigarettes. “I wanted you to come here. Alicia was going to die, and you saved her.”

He shrugs and smiles. He looks beyond tired, but the very fact he can smile now says plenty.

“Besides, they’re Nazis. Sooner or later they’d have fucked us up.” He made some half-hearted gesture to the ladies. “Excuse the language.”

“Do not mind me. I went to college,” responds Fiore, because apparently that explains everything. Heck, Sakura is chuckling, so I’m obviously missing something here.

“Actually, now that we’re talking about this,” Oliver speaks again. “Why did the ice get to Alicia and not me? If they’re draining the people, wouldn’t they get more out of those with magic circuits?”

Fiore shakes her head.

“We do not know enough.”

“Um, Fiore,” Sakura then says. “We had come up with the idea that the freezing that trapped everyone spared those with magic circuits. Could you please explain again what you told me and Assassin yesterday?”

“Oh, right, yes: you might be on to something.” Fiore nods quickly, looking almost skittish. “I don’t have circuits, and I did have ice growing around me when everything froze; it was a bit of a desperate save, to be honest.”

Wait.

“You can use magecraft without magic circuits?” Hey, I’m just learning the rules here; you can’t go around muddling them on me all of a sudden.

However, Fiore shakes his head.

“I used parts of my nervous, circulatory and lymphatic systems as temporary circuits to try to melt the ice growing around me, and it stopped right on the spot. So yes, I think I agree with that hypothesis of yours.”

That…well, shit, that sounds pretty hardcore, and Oliver looks like he agrees with me. Even Sakura, who apparently already heard this yesterday, looks a bit unsettled by the words. I didn’t even know it was possible.

“You’re fucking insane,” Oliver says harshly, the older person in the room suddenly feeling like he has to scold a youngster’s indiscretion.

“I am not happy about this either,” Fiore calmly retorts. “I swore off all magecraft when I got rid of my circuits. I am not pleased I had to resort to it again after ten years.”

She is no longer looking at us, but at her hands clenching her knees. She is the image of frustration and disappointment, and it goes far beyond the likes of breaking one’s diet and closer to losing one’s life savings in poorly-planned investments.

It’s really strange. Why would anybody swear off magic? Just knowing that I can use this power lets me walk with my head held high.

“But we should return to the immediate issue: the Nazis. We can be all but certain they will come again.”

“If anything I’m surprised the whole damn place is not swarming with those soldiers,” Oliver points out, and the thought is terrifying. “We’re atop a hill, and they can drive those trucks up Urriola or Almirante Montt.”

“The streets up here are narrow,” I point out. “There is snow, and plenty of cars still parked out there. Making turns with those things while driving uphill…that takes time, especially up Montt’s steeper slope. It might be easier for them to just have the soldiers climb up to the promenade.”

Or just do all of the above. They probably have the numbers.

There’s also the Concepción Passage that travels through the forested area in front of that cave that appeared out of nowhere, and connects to the stairway for pedestrians to walk from Atkinson to the base of the hill—the one I used yesterday morning, right before meeting Sakura.

“So, how are we going to do this?” Oliver puts it bluntly. “Running away doesn’t seem like an option.”

“Assassin…she helped us.” Well, she helped me back there. “And then it looked like the soldiers were going to attack her, or capture her.”

I explain the connection between Assassin and the zombies. If Assassin’s betrayal of the Nazis has been made official, I guess the Nazis no longer can use the zombies as scouts.

“That’s good to know, but she’s not here right now,” Fiore points out. “We have to assume we cannot count on her tonight.”

“Ah, but, she’s spoken to Miss Maria and me through the zombies. Maybe we could try that, see whether we can get any help from her?”

“What if she can’t help?” Oliver insists, who apparently still doesn’t know Assassin’s the one who knocked him out yesterday. “I don’t see myself fighting those soldiers.”

“They’re not that strong,” Sakura posits. “The problem’s that they all carry guns.”

Fiore nods.

“Yes, if they are not real people, if they are magical constructs as you told me, then your Hollow should be very effective.”

“They also have tanks. And goddamn artillery.”

“Nah, they can’t use that,” I immediately conclude. “It worked on the hotel because it was visible from the base of the hill. If they wanted to rain rockets on this house, they’d have to come all the way up here and fire them point-blank.”

A pause.

“Or have, dunno, satellites or computers calculating firing solutions or what not. But so far they’ve been sticking to World War II-era technology. I’d be more worried about soldiers carrying bazookas or something like that.”

Unfortunately, the one who probably could tell us all about the Nazis’ equipment is unconscious over there.

“There’s that wrecked truck you guys were driving,” Oliver then brings up. “Maybe there’s something we can use there?”

“Um, I know my way around a hunting rifle, but I don’t think that’s the same…” Sakura muses, sounding a bit embarrassed for whatever reason.

Fiore sighs. She sounds tired. Well, we all kinda do.

“Of course, none of this matters if a Servant shows up. We can’t fight a Servant.”

The emphatic tone in that last sentence is sharp like of them Japanese swords. Sakura nods rather dejectedly.

“Even if Hollow works well against spirits, landing a good blow on a Servant is a bit…”

Yes, it all comes down to that. No matter how much we struggle, if the one who can fight Servants doesn’t wake up, we’ll be screwed in the end.

So?

What the hell are you up to now,
    Maria
    Saver
    ?

Event Setup
    Battle of Concepción Hill – Preparations

With the looming threat of the Fourth Reich upon them, Javier Lucero must join forces with three other mages to survive. To prepare for the inevitable battle, you must decide exactly what actions they will undertake before the Nazis attack, from the following options.

1. Root out Nazis scouts in the vicinity.
    2. Examine the wreck of the armored truck.
    3. Prepare an ambush on Atkinson Promenade.
    4. Prepare an ambush on Urriola Steet.
    5. Prepare an ambush on Almirante Montt Street.
    6. Come up with a plan against Rider…?
    7. Look for last minute supplies.
    8. Attempt to establish communication with Assassin.
    9. Write-in.

• For each of the options above, you must also select at least one character among Javier Lucero, Sakura Edelfelt, Fiore Forvedge, and Oliver Drake to perform that action.
    • You may select any number of options for the list above. If you so wish, you can even try to do them all, or choose to do none of them.

Keep in mind!

• You do not know how long you have before the attack! In other words, you do not know how many things the characters will manage to get done in time. Therefore, the order in which you list the actions does matter!
    • The success—or even feasibility—of the options above depends both on the characters appointed to the options and on external circumstances. Who is sent to do what also matters!
    • Unlike Javier’s, you do not know the other three characters’ status. Naturally, the more you try to push out of them, the more they are likely to make mistakes.
    • Sakura, no matter the timeline, excels at physical and mental endurance. However, do keep in mind she has already gone through quite the ordeal this day.
    • Fiore is by far the most competent magus among the four, and could be described as a genius without exaggeration. However, she takes immense risks to use magecraft, and will not do so unless convinced there is no better course of action.
    • You do not know much about Oliver Drake, but you can easily tell that he places his wife’s survival above everything else.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; May 1st, 2019 at 11:54 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    shit, a choice that requires real thought

- - - Updated - - -

Also now I really wish we'd left the machine gun unused for Sakura to wield.

- - - Updated - - -

What does prepare an ambush mean? Set up traps? Have a character lie in wait?
    canon finish apo vol 3

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The nature of any potential ambush depends both on the location and the choice of people sent to scout it.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    1. Sakura
    3. Javier
    2. Fiore
    5. Oliver
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ok so after consulting this lovely sheet by zikari8:
    Tagged for size

1 Javier (Fireballs for days)
    3 Sakura (Titanic elbow drop from 50ft up, they'll never see it coming)
    8 Fiore (If someone needs support she can go as a last resort and a servant could tip the scales)
    2 Oliver (He's kinda useless here, some gear will be sorely needed for him to survive longer than 3.1 seconds)

Blog Entries
    1. Javier (Take out the vanguard)
    2. Oliver, Sakura (Hopefully get the fighters armed)
    8. Fiore (Contact the cavalry)
    3. Javier, Oliver, Sakura, Fiore (Avengers Assemble!)
    Last edited by zikari8; April 25th, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    6. Come up with a plan against Rider:
    We're mages, and we're resourceful. They may have Servants, but their Armored Truck was designed to be able to kill them, since it also was shooting at Maria. Therefore, it should also be effective against other Servants. That's our ambush tactic. Maria will hopefully wake up soon, but we should get the armoured truck into working order so that we can fight back. The most important bit is the wind cannon that the grunts were using on Maria. If the robot is gigantic, that just makes it a big target. Javier will use his flames, and if he activates his Fire Elemental powers, the mages can shoot Rider's mech with a literal fucking flaming tornado!

With the tank active, we won't need to worry about Nazi scouts because we can just rip them to pieces by turning the street into a Hurricane of Doom™. But not the Flaming Hurricane of Doom™. We need to save that to throw Rider off balance.

If Sakura filters her Hollow Element through the wind cannon, that might be even more effective than Javier's fire. Even if it's a machine, it's still a Noble Phantasm; a spiritual construct, so it should be effective, and the winds might be able to amplify the impact of the attack.
    IMPORTANT: Sakura's not at full strength, she'll probably only have one shot at this, so we should save it until we know where Rider is operating the mech from.

As for Maria, we'll have to hope she wakes up soon, because without her, we're in trouble, and Saver has made it exceptionally clear that it's petty, and thinks it's manipulative. Maria is likely to have lost some of her powers if anything when she wakes up, so that'll be trouble, but she should still be able to attack Rider with her sword beams.

9. Alchemy the tank so that it's a tank instead of garbage.- Javier
    8. Call Assassin (and hopefully her merry band of QoFers.) - Fiore
    2. The tank needs a driver. - Oliver
    3. Prepare the Atkinson Ambush.
    - Javier, Sakura, Fiore, Oliver

Situational:

If Assassin shows up:

3. Prepare the Atkinson Ambush, but focus on trying to determine where the mech's cockpit is, and have the undead converge on Rider's Noble Phantasm if that's safe to do. - Assassin

If Lancer and Seigi are with Assassin when she arrives:
    3. Prepare the Atkinson Ambush. - Lancer
    9. Join Oliver in the tank, and do anything you can to help from inside or on top of it.
    - Seigi

If Alicia wakes up:

9. Stay hidden, and eliminate any Nazis that get too close to the house. - Alicia

If Maria wakes up:
    3. Join those who are fighting at Atkinson Promenade. - Maria
    Last edited by Draconic; April 25th, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
    F/GO Supports

Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Not with that attitude.

I will be lazy and give my vote to [Spoony].
    Last edited by King Prussia; April 25th, 2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Switched vote.

I think you're assuming too much, Draconic: that Javier CAN "alchemy up" the tank, that Oliver CAN drive it, etc., etc.

Hmm... I wonder if we shouldn't have someone - probably Fiore - tackle coming up with a plan against Rider. I mean, yeah, it's impossible for them to fight a Servant and they know nothing about Rider's big invention, but maybe she can come up with some kind of stalling tactics to buy Maria time to recover. Well, I like zikari's proposal, but I'm going to change it up a bit.

1. Javier
    2. Oliver, Sakura
    6. Fiore
    3. Javier, Oliver, Sakura, Fiore
    8. Javier

Blog Entries
    Spoony makes some good points.

Then, I'll change my vote to his proposal.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I agree with a bunch of things that Spoony says. I guess I should change mine.

9. Try to make the tank work, or if not the whole thing, at least the tornado gun. - Javier
    2. Examine (the wreck?) of the armored truck. - Oliver, Sakura
    6. Come up with a plan against Rider…? - Fiore, Javier
    3. Prepare an ambush on Atkinson Promenade. - Javier, Oliver, Sakura, Fiore
    8. Attempt to establish communication with Assassin. - Javier

SpoonyViking, were there any points from my post that you think might be worth keeping?
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    1 Javier (Fireballs for days)
    3 Sakura (Titanic elbow drop from 50ft up, they'll never see it coming)
    8 Fiore (If someone needs support she can go as a last resort and a servant could tip the scales)
    2 Oliver (He's kinda useless here, some gear will be sorely needed for him to survive longer than 3.1 seconds)

Going with Hermes’ plan
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

To be honest, I'm unsure if it's worth trying to contact Assassin. As much as she seems to care for Javier, she's probably still hurting from helping Sakura, and she's probably really scared at this point.
    That said, I want the Assassin route. :-P

Blog Entries
    The thing I'm uneasy about is letting Sakura ambush alone. Tough as she may be, I have this feeling things will be bad if she fights them by herself. Thus, I'm personally against having 3. Sakura alone and would prefer atleast one person with her if not everyone.

In easy to understand Shirou terms: You can't fight by yourself, Sakura! You're a girl.

Yeah, she just recovered from serious injuries. Besides, it's possible the Nazi soldiers aren't vulnerable to her Hollow element.