Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: [Quest] Lost Singularity - Fimbulwinter

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    oh cool
    so how much do we need to level up until we can eat and metabolize concepts

- - - Updated - - -

also i'm actively reading this but that seriously every choice seems geez louise its going to kill javier so voting is hard
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    On You's tombstone it will read
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's exaggerating my point.

Beats By Matthew ft. Dr. Para Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    5. Eat the zombi- No. No, that's a joke. Please don't eat the zombies.

2. Run uphill along Urriola Street, away from the zombies…but towards the unknown gunfire.
    Supports:

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

The Icon of Self-Deprecation Xaodzilla's Avatar
    2. Run uphill along Urriola Street, away from the zombies…but towards the unknown gunfire.

Even if the gunfire isn't friendly, it might help as some cover.

A Two-Named Thief Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    None of these seem ideal but... choice number 2 seems the least likely to get us killed. Maybe.

Quest of Fate (Update: 13/06/2018)

Shameless Self Promotion

THE GREAT HERACLES HUNT
    A Magus RP taking place in the Apocrypha timeline
    C
    aS Masterpost

Hermes' List of Fan Fics

Hall of Hermes Praise

Quote Originally Posted by Saron View Post
    It's official. Hermes is the old man hipster of CaS.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    ...Are you the protagonist of a YA novel? Perhaps an otome game?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Yeah, I'll go with number 2 as well.
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ​#2
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Urriola Street (In front of Casa Volante Hostel)
    Day ?
    ????? Phase – 05
    Cold (-13 °C/8.6 °F)

Character Status
    Health: Stable
    Sustenance: Poor
    Warmth: Stable
    Stamina: Poor
    - Magic circuits activated.
    (BGM)

My head darts from one place to another in two seconds. From the undead that slipped and slowly stands up, to the pair of dead women clambering up the sloped street, to the single open direction, and the irregular staccato of automatic gunfire—rather, it’s more than one gun, isn’t it?

So, it’s a matter of the danger in front of me versus the unknown danger uphill…but the fact remains that I can’t take on three of these things on low fuel, especially if those two can dodge as well as the one on the stairs.

I’m running. It’s the choice that ensures I live a few seconds longer, 100%.

Calling it “running” is an understatement, though. The street is made of cobblestone, and it is wet and slippery in this hellish weather. Fortunately, the undead are clumsier than I, so I can confidently put some distance between us. Unfortunately, it’s all two-story buildings from the hostel to the crossing with Alvaro Besa; it’s all straight ahead, with nowhere else to run.

Valparaiso has some seriously long street blocks.

When I reach the Y-crossing in question, I instinctively stop. Alvaro Besa is to the right; if I go on that direction, it’s just the stupid long route to the Yugoslavian Promenade. To the left is the continuation of Urriola; the gunfire comes from that direction, as irregular but unceasing as before.

The Promenade…what if those zombies are actually smart enough to take the shorter route up the Apollo Stairway and ambush me?

It sounds ridiculous, but I’d rather put some more distance. Let’s keep going ahead.

The slope grows gradually steeper, along with the effort in my breathing. Normally, it wouldn’t be a big deal, but I feel the weakness of overexertion and hunger; a single “energy bar” from the supermarket does not fill an empty stomach nor supply the necessary calories. It feels like my body is burning from the inside out—a reminder that the only thing that keeps hypothermia at bay is my activated magic power. I have to assume night will come at some point; I don’t think I want to be out here when that happens.

All in all, the situation is actually pretty shitty.

Ah, there. Some ten meters ahead, there’s finally a crossing with another street—

Holy crap!

When did they get so close!?

Ignoring the frantic beating of my heart, I look to both sides of the street before darting to the house to my left, the only one with the door at the same level with the sidewalk.

One kick, two kicks—

A smashing sound stops my third kick, and I don’t even have the time to mentally kick myself for bothering to look behind me…and above?

There’s someone there. My heart stops for a moment.

The figure, half-kneeling on the rooftop of the building across the street, launches herself upwards in a superhuman leap. She is even more lightly dressed than I am, but it clearly does not seem to hamper her acrobatic agility.

Our eyes meet.

“…Maria?”

Her eyes widen in recognition…a moment before she crashes through the window of the building right next to where I stand.

“Aw, fucking shit!”

Yup, that’s Maria’s voice alright. I guess window-crashing was not part of the plan; sorry for distracting you in mid-jump.

And that’s when I hear the many footsteps just around the corner, and I remember I was kicking this house’s front door. Well I screwed up.

Absurdity's Pinnacle

What.

Seriously, what.

I know what’s happening here: my mind is focusing on the sheer absurdity of the whole thing because the alternative is to come into terms with the fact that those…soldiers are indeed standing right there at the end of the block, staring at me and packing some serious guns.

The corners of my lips are twitching into a smile even as my legs are trembling. Ah, see, they’re raising their guns to aim at me. In slow motion, even.

Oh crap, I’m gonna laugh. This is too absurd. I’m gonna die laughing while fucking Nazi commandos tear me apart with automatic gunfire.

Should’ve tried my luck with the zombies.

……

………

No, you don’t!

Again, the sound of a window breaking.

Why didn’t she just use the window she had already—oh whatever.

Seemingly acknowledging her as the greater threat, the soldiers raise their guns past me and further upwards.

Her weapon is a sword; an inelegant thing with pointlessly irregular edges, almost ornamental in its impracticality. Yet she swings it, and even I from a distance can feel the currents of chilling air parted by the slash. The soldiers, standing much closer as they were, are blown away like a house of cards in front of a fan.

I feel a bout of dizziness, and my hand reaches for the nearest wall for support. My head is spinning, but that’s not quite…

The soldiers, too, are fast to recover, using inertia to roll backwards and standing in a single fluid motion despite their bulky body armor.

But she’s already landed in that time, and she’s even faster.

No.

She is too fast.

Superhuman strength is followed by superhuman speed, and a single slice separates a soldier from his arms. A moment later she is in their midst, slicing and dicing with abandon, with ease that brings into question why she was fleeing from them before I found her.

There are no screams.

No sound escapes the wounded, but those who can still wield their firearms jump back and away from the dervish, seemingly discarding their wounded allies as they heartlessly open fire. But, again, the girl is faster, launching herself like a rocket, straight upwards, while those she had wounded are torn apart by their own companions.

This time she did not leap to a nearby rooftop. In the moment of stillness of the jump’s highest point, she raises her sword over her head, and the blade glows in a myriad dazzling colors. Is it light, or is it magical energy concentrated to a point it is visible to the naked eye? Whatever it is, it exacerbates my dizziness and makes my knees weak.

No.

It’s more than that.

My magic…my magic is trickling away.

“Get fucking lost!”

She shouts, and I don’t get to see what happens next. There’s just light that swallows everything, and a thunderous explosion that blows my body together with my consciousness.

“Aw crud, I overdid it!”

Oh, for fuck’s sake, Maria.

(BGM)

When I open my eyes…ah, this is familiar.

I can’t stop myself from tightening my muscles and curling like a kitten. I’m back in the cocoon of blankets and sleeping bags, and it’s just too comfy in here. Aaah, how nice~

Then my stomach grumbles and brings me back to the real world.

I can still hear the chilling wind dancing in the room. I was never in denial, but it’s still somewhat disheartening to know what awaits me outside of this warmth.

But I can’t stay here forever. After all that walking and running, I’m very thirsty and my throat is dry. Zombies or nazis or whatever, I need sustenance.

I guess Maria brought me back here. With those absurd powers…really, what’s the deal with that?

What…kind of world have I been thrown into?

I’m out of the cocoon and shivering on the spot. Goddammit, gotta do something about the broken windows. There are probably tools around, but what to close those holes with? An issue for later.

Everything’s exactly where it was last time. My things are also still here. There are no frozen zombies roaming the street, though.

I’m so tired…what time is it, anyway?

My steps take me naturally to the common area; if I’m gonna try to feed myself, it’s the place to go—

This place is a mess! What the hell!? What’s this kitchen catastrophe!? Did the soldiers open fire in here? Did the zombies try to cook in here!? Why does that pot have a hole in the bottom!? How can that cupboard be on fire in this weather!?

And who do you think you are, seated so coolly in the midst of this mess!?

Warrior Transcending Mankind (?)
    Click here to toggle visibility of Pixiv image
    Haa…calm down, Javier Lucero. You’re low on fuel; reacting to everything is just a waste right now. Just…calm down.

Alright. Focus on the idiot sitting there like she’s a big shot.

“So,” I say. “What are you?”

“Those are your first words? I guess I’ve been bound to a terrible Master.”

The girl in black gives an exaggerated shrug.

“Maybe I’m the most unlucky of all,” she adds.

…let it be stated right now.

This girl, Maria Westinghouse, is an idiot.

“Are you trying to act cool, Maria?”

Her faux-mocking expression switches to something annoying bright as she pulls back her hood and facemask in an instant.

“Is it working?”

“You told me you’re nineteen. Be an adult, Maria.”

“Pooh! I dun wanna be an adult like youuu!”

I walk past the grown-up child in overly unsuitable attire, towards what I assume is the result of this whole…disaster. The pot—not the one with the hole; another, bigger one—exudes warm vapor, and I can feel the heat of the soup as I stand in front of it.

“This…actually smells pretty good.”

“I can cook, ya know,” said the pouty girl. “It’s just, none of the appliances work so I had to make up for it with magecraft…it’s the first time I use it for something like this, and I’m still getting used to handling so much…it’s B rank, ya know? B rank!”

It became incomprehensible at some point, but she did use a certain word.

She said “magecraft”.

“So, you really are—”

“Aaah, but to think Javier was a magus!” continues the girl, washing over my attempt at leading the conversation. “Mah, that turned out to be helpful, so lucky me I gue—ooh? So maybe I’m not the unluckiest after all!”

It’s like the floodgates are opened.

“Ahaha, this is the first time. Like, ‘surprise magus!’, or something. I wonder if this happens to other magi.”

What.

“Hey, hey, did you go to the Clock Tower? I didn’t go myself, so I’m kinda curious. How is it? Studying there, I mean. Is it sorta like Hogwarts?”

What.

“Naah, that doesn’t sound like the Mage’s Association grandma told me about. So, edgy Hogwarts? Isn’t that Durmstrang?”

What.

“No way, no way, Potterverse magic is way too ridiculous anyway, right? Ahaha…haha…haa…”

Something in my face seems to put an end to Maria’s rambling, as her eager smile changes into a grimace that doesn’t suit her youthful face.

“You…don’t understand a word I’m saying, do you?”

I shake my head.

A moment later, she is standing on the far corner of the common area, with her back to me and her hands clutching her head.

“Aw fuck, I just shattered the Masquerade! Grandma’s gonna kill me!”

I can hear you, you know.

“Wait, does that mean I hafta kill him?”

Please don’t kill me. Also, you left your sword over here.

“No, wait, he’s my—and if I think about it, this whole mess kind of bent over the Masquerade and fucked it in the ass, so I didn’t really mess up!”

You’re the one who’s messed up. Wait, are you acting like an umpire?

“Alright! Saaaafe!”

No, no, out. You’re totally out.

Seemingly having calmed down, the girl finally turns to face me properly again. Oh, a normal smile. That’s good I guess.

“So, um…”

So now you’re acting coy?

I point at the soup.

“We can talk as we eat.”

She winces upon realizing she had missed the obvious. But she is quick to compose herself, or rather, she has no shame.

“Right-o!”

“But first put that fire off,” I add, pointing at the cupboard.

“Ah…right, ahaha…”

Choice Time
    You may ask up to three questions to Maria during your meal.

1. About “magecraft” and “magi” in general.
    2. About her ridiculous powers.
    3. About the frozen city.
    4. About the zombies and the soldiers.
    5. About the people trapped in ice.
    6. About food and water supplies.
    7. Write-in.

Catalog of Somewhat Original Servants
    In the Works: "
    Fimbulwinter" Quest Project, "Leyte Arc" for Create-a-Servant.

Beats By Matthew ft. Dr. Para Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    3, 4, 5
    Supports:

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

A Two-Named Thief Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    1 - It'll boost our own knowledge and abilities3 - For obvious reasons6 - We're still in the survival genre so this is important
    Quest of Fate (Update: 13/06/2018)

Shameless Self Promotion

THE GREAT HERACLES HUNT
    A Magus RP taking place in the Apocrypha timeline
    C
    aS Masterpost

Hermes' List of Fan Fics

Hall of Hermes Praise

Quote Originally Posted by Saron View Post
    It's official. Hermes is the old man hipster of CaS.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    ...Are you the protagonist of a YA novel? Perhaps an otome game?

Blog Entries
    3, 4, 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    I hoped they wouldn't feature because not once have I liked Fate's take on ANCIENT ALIENS. It's stupid for beings from humanity's myth and history to be the result of ANCIENT ALIENS all along, even insulting to an extent. Velbers are bad, Alien Trees are bad, Foreigners are bad, stick with humans relating to humans please Nasu.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSeaDragon View Post
    Nasu was always a pen name. It was Georgio Tsoukalos all along

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    1, 2, 4
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.

3, 4 ,6
    Be sliced by the blades of summer snow, fragile thing..

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    #1, 3 & 6
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Chaos Ruler Maria. This is gonna be WHACKED!

3, 4, 5
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

The Icon of Self-Deprecation Xaodzilla's Avatar
    2, 3, 4

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    On You's tombstone it will read
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's exaggerating my point.