Page 53 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3434851525354555863 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1565

Thread: [Quest] Lost Singularity - Fimbulwinter

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Oh, wait, Mana Burst (Volcano) also synergises with Ardent Beacon! Hmmm... Fine, I'm changing my pick: Ardent Beacon of Stars.

US Friend Code
    Ardent Beacon of Memes Stars
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

US Friend Code
    Dreams of Ever-distant Villarica

I was honestly torn between this and never falling asleep but I see the rest of you have also made your decision.

Blog Entries
    Ardent Beacon of Stars

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Warning!

This is a Save Point.

If your quest reaches a Dead End, you may choose to resume it from this point.

Hotel Diego de Almagro, Molina 76, Valparaíso
    Uttercold (-50 °C/-58°F)

(BGM)

Seigi Nomikata awakens to full alertness. The instincts of one who knows death are what pulls him out of Morpheus’ lull. An unpleasant, dire feeling, exacerbated by his limited awareness within the mound of blankets that conceals him.

There is something terrible and familiar out there.

He flings the blankets and jumps off the bed in a single, haphazard move—if he is to die, he will die fighting. He commands his magic circuits to flare to life, the usual pain easily ignored thanks to the adrenaline in his system.

The room is empty. The threat is somewhere else. Somewhere nearby.

He feels…not entirely rested. It is nigh impossible to be a one’s 100% in this frozen hellhole. It takes him a second to assess his magical capabilities: the power his accursed father built within; the personal magecraft he has developed and is proud of; the spells he hopes he never has to use against somebody else. The lessons learned from his ancient and childish teacher…

He is well aware he only received breadcrumbs compared to the vastness of her knowledge, but it was enough. Plenty enough. The incredible, terrible things he has learned…

Stepping out of the room, he meets, of course, a long, narrow hallway lined with identical doors on both sides. It is a large hotel, fairly high-class, but it is just like any other at its basis. His legs and his instincts guide him to the correct door, already open for his leisure. He feels the unnatural heat long before he stands under the doorframe.

(BGM)

Fire.

Its incandescence spreads wildly and voraciously, already consuming most of the hotel room. The bed and other furniture crack and split as they are unmade, further feeding the flame and birthing noxious smoke that lingers inside the room and saturates it rather than spread throughout the hotel building. The smoke should occlude everything else, but the flame is intense and its arrogance cannot be concealed.

The man, Javier Lucero, sleeps on a bed of flames. He is an oasis of bizarre peace in the scene of rampant destruction. It brings a shudder down Seigi’s spine.

Across the bed from him, a woman calmly seated tenderly holds the sleeping man’s hand. Her eyes paralyze him—the same inhuman ruby irises, so alien yet so familiar.

“Hmm. So, in the absence of the teacher, it is the student who faces me. How romantic.”

Right then and there, the sound of The Maid’s voice makes everything click in his head. Right then and there, Seigi Nomikata realizes what his proud and lonely teacher fought all these years.

“Aedel Blytheseel,” he begins. The names flow naturally out of his mouth; a spontaneous outpour of emotion an orthodox magus would never allow himself.

“Reuben Coeurella.”

He takes a single step inside. A thin layer of nigredo magecraft spares him from the worst of the smoke and floating ash.

“Kiara Sesshouin. Aristomalius Nivrea. Ceres Kimaris Sephandemos. Lestari Elliwyn.”

Most of them Seigi never met. Most of the names he learned from Shirou Tohsaka and Lily’s other associates. Some of them Lily found before they took a step from which there was no turning back. Some of them she only found when it was already too late. Lily always acted her haughty, dismissive self after the tragedies she could not stop in time, but Seigi eventually knew better.

The Maid listens to the list of name without outward reaction. Her apparent apathy only fans the flames of Seigi’s emotions.

“Do you remember those names?” he demands to know. The answer is obvious.

“No. I rarely do.”

She asks not of him whom those names belong to, or why he brings them up. In fact, she has by now dismissed the redhead, returning his attention to the sleeping man whose hand she still holds.

“It’s you, isn’t it? You are the one who’s been making Human Gods all over the place—”

(BGM STOP)

His attempt to make a further step forward is stopped by an unfathomably strong hand on his shoulder. He immediately knows: a Servant stands behind him. A moment later, primal fear like never before in his life. He has met his share of Servants in his life—perhaps many more Servants than any single man should ever have to meet—, but he had yet to meet this Servant.

Gold flows into the smoky room: slowly, intently. It is not the omnidirectional light of a flame, nor the penetrating cone of a lantern; it flows carefully, prodding, not in a uniform manner but like myriad proboscis feeling their way around him and into the burning room. The golden radiance scares him a lot more than Javier’s flames.

Spoiler:
    “Do not challenge her, human. You will die.”

(BGM)

Maria Westinghouse (?) steps past Seigi. With an unchanging scowl on her masked face, she stops by the bedside, never taking her eyes from The Maid until that moment. Unbothered by the flames, she then glances down at the sleeping man. Her demonic eyes are a silent judgment.

Warning!
    Deviant Virago negates the effect of Ardent Beacon of Stars.
    “Well aren’t you having fun?” She says, the words apparently directed at The Maid who has yet to even acknowledge Saver’s presence. Obviously, this rude behavior only stokes Saver’s anger.

Her sword flashes. With a single swipe, the flames are put out and the cloud of smoke and ash blown out of the room to spread freely in the cold outdoors. Seigi notices Javier’s stirring—the man will soon wake up. Saver cares not in the slightest, her sword now pointing at The Maid.

“I knew I’d find you here,” she hisses. “No other reason I’d be summoned, really. So, I guess now’s when I beat you up.”

Her golden aura flares to make a point. The point clearly flies well over The Maid’s head, for she instead turns her fair gaze to Seigi Nomikata.

“There is a high probability Archer has detected us. You might want to consider that.”

Right after that, a Servant Saver completely devoid of anything resembling patience lunges over the bed, shouting a mighty war cry and unleashing a radiant slash that decimates the wall behind The Maid, fully exposing the room to the wide outdoors. Seigi can only watch in muted, nervous silence as the two Servants disappear courtesy of gravity, and then hear a tremendous impact at ground level.

If Archer had yet to notice them, he certainly has now.

“Young man,” Caster calls out urgently from the hallway behind him. However, Seigi’s attention is on the man on the bed, slowly coming into consciousness.

(BGM STOP)

Uttercold (-47 °C/-52.6°F)

Character Status
    Health: Stable
    Sustenance: Poor
    Warmth: Optimal
    Stamina: Stable
    Regression Level 2

Magic circuits active.
    Sthūla-Śarīra in effect.
    The moment I wake up, I am greeted with—what else?—an annoying cold. However, it is not an insufferable cold, because my body is warm. I feel the familiar, dull pain that I know belongs to active magic circuits, buried deep within a core of warmth that suffuses my body. It is not unpleasant warmth, because I now know I can make it into my power.

Wait, I’m not alone. No, wait, why is a whole goddamn wall missing!? No, wait! Everything’s burnt in here!

“Nomikata—”

The words stop right in my mouth. While Caster behind his shoulder looks a little confused, the fake redhead looks severe and not very friendly. What exactly is going on—

Status Bonus!
    Pyroclastic Nimbus Manifestation: A woman’s presence within sight (Caster) grants Javier effective STR and END at rank E.
    (BGM)

“Uwah!”

Three people, myself included, gasp in unison when a golden rocket bounces off the ceiling and then my bed to smash the wall right next to Nomikata. No, that’s…!

“Maria!”

“Don’t move!” Nomikata barks out in a very good angry cop voice the moment I try to jump off the bed to help the groaning girl. Alright, something weird’s happening here, but like hell that’s gonna stop me—

“Really.”

She does what Nomikata never could. Only a single step makes itself heard. I have my back to her, but I know it is The Maid who has unexpectedly set foot on the edge of the room, in front of the destroyed wall. Nomikata and Caster are both transfixed, of course, the human wary and the Servant livid.

I turn my head, her very presence powerful enough to grab all attention, even when there is a battered person groaning in fetal position in the same room. The city’s abnormal aurora makes a creature of shadow, her visage partially hidden even while surrounded by a cerulean hue. For a moment, our eyes meet. Her head inclines almost imperceptibly.

“…I see. Destiny interference upon the auspicious feminine.”

She sounds…amused?

Her eyes pierce every person present, except for the one in pain.

“So, does everybody in this room have a death wish?”

A vague gesture of the hand. A blinding flash brings a baritone squeak out of a Caster, while Nomikata and I avert our eyes for a moment. We only see a vestige of what happened: a blade of light clashing with a very real sword, the two clattering at The Maid’s feet before scattering away like fairy dust. She sighs.

“How burdensome.”

Maria roars like a wild animal, deafening me even as she leaps over me, sword ready to bisect my teacher. The horizontal slash is mighty, a mowing wave of golden radiance that whips the air and blasts a barrage of rocket-like swords about to obliterate this entire room. The original target of the attack reappears a step ahead of her original position, now standing back to back to a very displeased Maria (is she really…?).

“Combat teleportation…” murmurs a mesmerized Caster. I know she’s powerful and amazing, but now’s really not the time for that, you know.

Not for a single moment has The Maid glanced in Maria’s direction.

“Act now or perish,” declares The Maid. She is right. We’ve already seen what Archer is capable of. Maria probably can’t protect us all from a prolonged, dedicated barrage!

Nomikata is clearly unsettled, perhaps expecting The Maid to attack him at any moment. Caster…no, they already admitted they’re a weak Servant. There’s probably little they can…hey, where’s Senta?

No, damn it, gotta act now!

Choose! Now!
    1. Throw myself out of the room’s entrance and hope for the best.
    2. Jump out of the building and figure it out from there.
    3. Use the divine flame defensively.
    4. Use the divine flame offensively.
    5. Plea to The Maid to help Maria.
    6. Grab Maria’s attention and ask her to get me out of here!
    7. Write-in.

Quest Master’s Note: Even if you do not propose a Write-in, do feel free to add details to any of the other choices if you think it’d be helpful. Be mindful, however, that Javier won’t have all the time in the world to pull off your ten-lines-long plan.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    3. Use the divine flame defensively.

All I can really think of choosing right now.
    Right then and there, the sound of The Maid’s voice makes everything click in his head. Right then and there, Seigi Nomikata realizes what his proud and lonely teacher fought all these years.

“Aedel Blytheseel,” he begins. The names flow naturally out of his mouth; a spontaneous outpour of emotion an orthodox magus would never allow himself.

“Reuben Coeurella.”

He takes a single step inside. A thin layer of nigredo magecraft spares him from the worst of the smoke and floating ash.

“Kiara Sesshouin. Aristomalius Nivrea. Ceres Kimaris Sephandemos. Lestari Elliwyn.”

Most of them Seigi never met. Most of the names he learned from Shirou Tohsaka and Lily’s other associates. Some of them Lily found before they took a step from which there was no turning back. Some of them she only found when it was already too late. Lily always acted her haughty, dismissive self after the tragedies she could not stop in time, but Seigi eventually knew better.
    I'm still wondering what the heck the Maid is. Is she someone we've seen before in any canon Fate stuff?

As for those names, I can only recognize Kiara among them. Did she almost turn into a Beast here?

And "Shirou Tohsaka." A name I didn't expect to hear. I guess between the three in that romcom described in Apoc's side mats, Rin won in the end?

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    3, seems the most plausible. But do so as well as trying to run away.

“Reuben Coeurella.”

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Kishuuing behind her, how sassy.

Last edited by Rafflesiac; October 11th, 2019 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Also Lestari Elliwyn? The questverse timelines grow.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Uttercold (-47 °C/-52.6°F)

Character Status
    Warmth: Optimal
    Regression Level 2

Magic circuits active.
    Sthūla-Śarīra in effect.
    (BGM)

A fierce beat in my chest. The flame thrums with eagerness, ready to be unleashed.

What I can do, with my power…I can stop Archer’s attack. Fire is no shield; it is not something that protects. To stop that deadly barrage, I’ll use the flame’s explosive power. This would be a lot easier if I had my feet on the ground, instinct tells me, but I’m not gonna let that stop me.

There’s no need for rituals or incantations.

“How about…this!”

I don’t know why I swipe my hand; it is my will that commands the air to ignite and creates a line of explosions, a wall of concussive waves to intercept Archer’s arrow-like swords—

“The fuck you doin’!” Maria’s furious voice. What…?

“Now I can’t see shit—oof!”

Everything seems to move at the same time. I can only tell that my power wasn’t enough.

A mace of light bashes Maria into the wall to her right, a moment before a sword pierces my explosions and flies through the space once filled by Maria’s head.

“Tch.”

The Maid clicks her tongue before murmuring something I don’t quite catch. More constructs of light dart around to intercept the incoming arrows.

Al suelo!” A small, lithe figure emerges from the ether to tackle me to the ground. My nostrils receive a tremendous impact; the scent of death and putrefaction is almost overwhelming, and a headache takes root in my head in a moment.

Something strikes a nearby wall hard—a sword The Maid did not intercept?

Caster screams.

Ah, carajo.” Assassin crawls over my body, keeping her body low to make her way out of the bedroom. I…what should I…

“Javier!”

She says nothing more. The insistent gesture of her head speaks for itself. A sword strikes the wall over my head, a drizzle of debris sprinkling my face. A little dazed in the head, I crawl after the girl towards the only door.

The sight outside twists my innards upside-down. I feel cold inside. What…when did this…?

(BGM)

Seigi Nomikata is outside the bedroom, pinned to the wall across the hallway by the sword impaled in his guts. He stills lives, a hand raised in a feeble attempt to grab the handle.

“Caster, ready some healing for me!” Assassin commands while rising to her feet.

“I—but, I, I can’t heal it that quickly—”

The girl is not paying attention. Her monstrous right hand holds the sword, the other grabbing Nomikata’s shoulder. She is smiling. Why is she smiling?

“Hey, Seigi,” she murmurs to the man already trying to raise his head to meet her smiling, confident face. “Grit those teeth.”

She pulls. He howls. She then smashes his wounded abdomen with her right hand.

There is no flashy display of magical power, no swirling auras or pulsating feeling of great, ancient power. After moments of tense, leaden silence, Assassin gasps and falls to her knees, a new wound in her belly. Nomikata exhales and slides down the wall, falling exhausted on his rear. He touches his abdomen, face torn between surprise and sheer amazement.

“Liria!” Caster hurries to the fallen Servant’s side, her own hand bearing a magical glow as it hovers over Assassin’s new wound. “Oh, Liria, you never change.”

“Guess I’m one of them old dogs,” retorts the girl still wincing, as she is the one now with a wound from front to back. She then turns to look at me, and I hate myself for feeling an ugly twist in my guts, like I’m back at school and about to be scolded for a mistake.

She is still smiling.

“Next time, less showing off and more thinking, okay?”

Why is she smiling? I messed up, I get it. No need to act nice.

“Caster, you set this up as your workshop, right? Can you get us out of here?”

“Uh, no, Liria, it doesn’t work like that; this isn’t even a place of power…” Caster shakes her head. My eyes spontaneously meet with Nomikata’s. His stare lacks the earlier hostility, but that can easily be attributed to having a sword impaled through his guts. He looks tired, yet severe, yet not quite here. I…I can return his stare for long.

That was pathetic.

“Liria dear, it’s stopped. The attack.”

“Huh?” Three people utter at once.

(BGM)

Maria Westinghouse is not in control of her body. However, she is not screaming or lashing out in the depths of her psyche. She watches quietly, calmly, taking this as a learning experience.

When she woke up, pulled into awareness by intuition not her own, Maria was not allowed the opportunity to put up resistance. Saver assumed complete control and there was absolutely nothing Maria could do about it. The American girl crashed on a wall of indomitable will. There was no stopping her Servant. Therefore, Maria did not fight against the impossible and chose to watch quietly, focusing on learning just what—or rather who—awakened such a blaze in the Servant Saver.

“You let that one pass.”

Seated against the wall, sword firmly gripped in her right hand, Servant Saver glares at The Maid. The woman in the fetish costume is the sole standing tall and confident at the vanguard. The air ripples around her, radiant blades of light conjured from elsewhere fly off and intercept the distant sniper’s fierce barrage.

“The sword that hit that royal. You could’ve stopped it, but you let it pass.”

Saver assumes Seigi Nomikata belongs to a royal family because he dyes his hair.

The Maid’s utter disregard for Saver’s words and very presence continues, though. What she minds is the sudden end of the barrage, no longer resumed.

“He stopped. Hmm.”

The Maid blinks. Her incomparable mind
    divines
    calculates
    all possible developments. Turning around, she finds a whole group of people staring at her. Liria Colhuán, still receiving healing from Caster, stands protectively in front of the other three.

It is said that praise should be given openly and scolding in private. The Maid does not believe in this philosophy, as Javier Lucero is about to learn.

“I expect nothing from you, yet you nonetheless find a way to disappoint me. In a certain way, that is almost impressive.”

The Maid’s stare is all the more insidious because it is not a heated glare. Somehow, her utter lack of expression makes it the perfect display of a teacher’s despondency. Caster looks away, perhaps unsure of how to behave in this situation, while Liria inches a bit further to the side, to interpose herself between Javier and The Maid. Seigi stares at the costumed Servant with wide, haunted eyes.

“Greater power is no excuse for diminished wisdom, student.”

The Maid walks towards them. Liria spreads her arms, making herself a wall in front of Caster and the two men. The Servant Alter Ego stops beneath the doorframe.

“You have further refined your Saint Graph. Accept my praise with pride.”

It is only at this moment that the others notice Liria’s new dipteran features. As if to show off a little, Liria commands them to oscillate at blurring speeds for a second.

Assassin of the Black Sun
    “Can’t complain,” she retorts in a low, mistrustful voice. “Got me here faster.”

The Maid nods.

“Plan carefully before using your Noble Phantasm. It is potent and very dangerous, but also difficult to use effectively. The correct use of your familiars is critical.”

Naturally, Liria is in no way surprised that The Maid already knows she has unlocked (discovered? claimed?) her Noble Phantasm, or that she is aware of its mechanism.

“Yeah. Duly noted.”

“Good.” The Maid nods again. She then blinks. “Now, I would offer to prepare breakfast, but time is of the essence—”

“Don’t fucking ignore me!”

Saver’s great sword, thrown like a javelin, buries itself almost to the hilt into the doorframe after flying less than an inch past The Maid’s right ear. Maria—no, Servant Saver—stands in the after-throw position, glaring daggers, swords and spears at The Maid’s back, her heaving chest rising and falling like countless tyrants. Liria and Caster are visibly startled, while Seigi’s unusually wide eyes dart between The Maid and the swordswoman, as if wondering whose jugular to slice first. Javier remains seated on the hallway floor, head hung low and seemingly disconnected from the scene.

As for The Maid—

“I will ask you to follow me; there are matters to discuss, and a course of action must be decided.”

Unmindful of the sword or the angry voice behind her, The Maid leaves the room surrounded by her aura of unflappable confidence and authority. Several pairs of eyes watch her walk the length of the hallway towards the stairs.

Javier Lucero is the first to stand up and walk after her. At this, Seigi narrows his gaze, watching his back for several seconds before going after him. Liria sighs. Caster’s gentle hand on her shoulder offers little comfort, but the two eventually follow. Whether they like it or not, they need answers only The Maid can give.

If either of them hears Saver fall to her knees, they do or say nothing about it.

“Damn it…”

Maria knows she has regained control. The words, however, remain not her own.

Just like the tears gathering in the corners of her eyes.

“Damn it…!”

Maria knows she has regained control. She cannot move just yet, for she is deeply struck by an avalanche of emotions like nothing she has ever experienced.

Hotel Diego de Almagro (Restaurant), Molina 76, Valparaíso
    Sheer cold (-45 °C/-49°F)
    Snowfall

Character Status
    Warmth: Superb
    Regression Level 2

Magic circuits inactive.
    (BGM)

We walk slowly. Even after The Maid disappears from our sight, our feet drag us to the hotel’s restaurant where she awaits us with arms crossed and eyes closed. The moment we set foot inside, the temperature abruptly changes to cool and temperate. The large windows are all beyond destroyed, but what can only be magic stops the wind from rushing inside. Plenty of snow has found its way inside, however. We have to be careful with our steps so as to not embarrass ourselves.

“Please.” The Maid invites us to the many available seats. I do not think much about it, taking a place straight in front of her. A serious-looking Nomikata seats two tables away. Assassin leans over the redhead to exchange some words with him. Nomikata nods a few times, Assassin pats his shoulder and then comes to sit by my side. Caster claims a seat behind all of us.

“Hey.”

“Um, yes, hello.”

She looks at me for a moment, and then chuckles. What the hell.

“Ah, maybe I should move away, I know the smell can get nasty.”

“Ah, no, I…don’t…smell anything?”

That is indeed the case. She is right next to me, but the expected grave-stench is conspicuously absent.

“Eh? I don’t stink?” Terrible words from an adorably surprised girl. We are loud enough to grab the others’ attention, who also realize the absence of vile scents. Assassin then turns to The Maid.

“What did you do?”

“I feel disappointed that I have to point out that I am, in fact, a maid.”

“That’s your argument!?”

“I favor pulchritude in my social engagements, Assassin.”

“I can tell when you’re insulting me! Aah, whatever!” Assassin throws her arms to the air. “Just tell us why the heck you’re here. Why the hell are we having a strategy meeting with the villain?”

“You are the one insulting me, Assassin. Calling me a villain of all things. Let us wait eight seconds.”

Eight seconds later, Maria walks into a vast room scantily occupied, all eyes on her.

“Uhh…my bad?” Her grin is somewhat exaggerated. “Um, yeah, let’s do the talkin’ thing.”

She seems to have a place in mind, but then stops and comes straight towards me. Then she…combs my hair with her fingers?

“Ahaha, look at ya. When’s the last time you used a brush on this mop?”

It comes completely out of left field, so everyone can just stare. Even The Maid seems to be trying to make sense of…well, this. Nomikata has the biggest frown. Caster just looks mildly surprised, while Assassin looks up at Maria like she wants to call a doctor to look at her. It appears to be only at this moment that Maria becomes aware of the other, even younger looking blonde in the room.

“Huh. So you’re showing your face now?” Maria says, her hands still making themselves busy with my hair. Assassin shrugs.

“I guess.”

“I take it the younger me released you from the spiritual bindings,” interjects The Maid, for which she receives a glare in return.

“She freed me from everything. Especially you.”

The Maid bows gracefully.

“I accept your heartfelt praise in the name of the younger me.”

“Oh, fuck off.”

“Well there’s a story there,” murmurs Maria only for me to hear, just before patting the crown of my head like a token praise for a dog.

“Hmm. Better than nuthin’.”

And then she just gives up and drops herself on the nearest chair. What the hell, Maria.

She…actually, she looks a little stiff.

“…very well.” Not that my teacher cares, anyway. “I will not repeat myself, so listen attentively.”

“Wait!” I interrupt, and The Maid’s stare is a soundless curse. But I really need to ask—

“Um, where’s Senta?”

“Seriously?” murmurs Assassin of all people. Maria frowns, likely because she doesn’t recognize the name. It is Caster who provides an answer.

“Senta has decided to act on her own. I’m sure she would be happy for your consideration, young man.”

“Good for her.” The Maid sounds truly honest and glad, even if her face remains inexpressive. “Now, I am here because I was defeated.”

She might as well have smacked us all on the head with sledgehammers.

Assassin and I jump to the side when Maria launches herself to her feet, slamming her hands on the table in front of her. She then flinches away, as if realizing what she just did. The Maid, however, does not seem to think much of her big announcement. She even shrugs.

“He has a conceptual advantage that I could not overcome, and do not see myself able to overcome in the short term.”

“That’s bullshit!”

Again, Maria. Again, she looks plain surprised by her own words.

“Maria, are you okay?”

“There’s no fuckin’ way you can lose!” I am completely ignored. “I mean, you are…!”

Something bright swirls and lashes under the table. Maria loses her footing, her butt falling back on the chair.

Her pout is adorable, but anger still simmers in her eyes.

“An unknown factor was lurking inside my second child, Isolde,” continues The Maid. “He has taken control of my temple and usurped my connection to the Servants I summoned. Considering his power, I see no reason he would be subordinate to Berserker, so it would be safe to assume he is the new leader of the Fourth Reich.”

So we just found out The Maid was the Master of the Singularity, and now some other guy is in charge?

“Fuck, that’s bad.”

Assassin gets everybody’s attention.

“Uh, I mean, Berserker is a lazy asshole, that’s why you guys have been dealing with only Rider till now. If this new guy is more proactive, then things are gonna get nasty.”

“Crude choice of words, but a very real possibility, exacerbated by the interruption of Archer’s latest attack.”

Wait, what does that mean?

“Yeah, that fucker had no reason to stop,” Maria replies. Her eyes are still glaring, but her pursed lips and finger resting on her chin shows she is seriously considering The Maid’s words. “Unless he was commanded to stop.”

“To do something else.” Nomikata joins the discussion as well.

“My
    divinations
    calculations
    conclude that the most likely possibility is that Archer has been commanded to locate and slay the Hound of Hel.”

“The Herald…!” Maria gasps, gritting teeth and clenching fists in frustration. “Then, we—”

“That does not mean, however, that we are being spared. The Fourth Reich has enough assets to deploy multiple operations.”

“Assets that you developed,” points out Assassin in foul tone.

“Indeed.” However, The Maid is seemingly impervious to criticism. “Worst case scenario, this unknown new leader will come in person. It is regrettable, but he is an enemy I cannot overcome with my current abilities.”

“And I take you couldn’t figure out his identity.”

“It is either his conceptual advantage or a superior degree of divine authority, but he is outside of my
    divinations
    calculations
    . He also did not use any abilities that I could connect with a specific name.”

That’s not very helpful. However, Maria has clasped her hands in front of her mouth, closing her eyes for a meditative posture. She is thinking hard, but for now, she is keeping it to herself.

“So, let me get this clear.”

Nomikata’s voice carries a tinge of insolence I had yet to hear from him. Not like I know the guy at all, though.

“Some unknown element got in the way of your big plan, so now you expect us to take care of him for you?”

“I provide only prior warning. I need not make you do anything: even if you choose not to act on my words, he will come after us.”

“Well isn’t that convenient.”

“I think otherwise.”

Seriously.

The Maid is an island of unflappable calm in a sea of turbulent emotions. Nomikata is clearly hostile towards her, if only in words (for now). Assassin is certainly not friends either, while Caster is just nervous and overall not very impressive. Maria is currently immersed in her own thoughts, but she made her feelings obvious upstairs. I should share their feelings, but it is hard to muster hostility towards the person who is teaching me magic. The fact remains that we—or at least I—need to decide on a course of action.

Some unknown has taken over The Maid as “the big bad”. Whoever he is, he probably already knows where we are hiding.

Archer is likely moving to find and defeat the Herald.

There’s no way anybody else in here is going to get along with The Maid.

And Senta wandered off somewhere. We were kinda getting along fine, but that’s no guarantee she is on our side.

There are a lot of questions I’d like to ask, not counting the questions in the heads of everybody around me. However, if The Maid speaks the truth, and there are enemies on the way, then we’ll have to put the interrogation in the backburner for now.

Fuck, I’m hungry.

DAY 4 – MORNING PHASE SETUP

Character Status
    Warmth: Stable(Optimal when Sthūla-Śarīra is active; Superb with The Maid’s assistance)
    Regression Level 2
    Singularity Map (Opening in new tab recommended)
    Javier’s Morning Action
    Javier must decide on his immediate course of action. Choose ONE AND ONLY ONE from the following.

Exploration Action: Go someplace else, both to avoid the enemy and achieve other objectives.
    1. Father Scherer’s Church: Check out on the old man, see how he’s faring in this cold. Maybe I can hide from the Nazis in there for a bit.
    2. Atkinson Promenade: Perhaps we should check up on Fiore and the Drakes…?
    3. Sotomayor Square: According to Assassin and The Maid, the Herald fled in this direction last evening. If there’s the slightest chance to find her before Archer does, we should start here.
    4. Casa Volante Hostel: We never checked back on the hostel. Hell, my and Maria’s things are still there.
    5. Public Library: Hide in a nearby building while the Servants confront the enemy. And maybe do some research…?
    6. Write-in. (Note: Please describe Javier’s motivation to visit the proposed location.)

Quest Master’s Warning: You have no control over Maria and the other NPCs. They will decide their next move based on your choice of action. Some will choose to follow you for their own reasons. Some will choose to act on their own.

Rest Action: Focus on restoration and replenishment…
    7. …with Maria.
    8. …with Liria and Seigi.
    9. …with Caster and The Maid.

Quest Master’s Warning: The degree of recovery will change with different company. Do note, however, that resting means not moving from your current location.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; October 17th, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I take it that Javier becoming an active combatant removed our Master privilege in controlling Maria's actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries

US Friend Code

Maria is clearly going after the Herald to warn her, and I'd feel better keeping the main party together for now.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

We had a number of choices which all ranged from "bad" to "awful", we picked what seemed the best one, and we still get sassed by the narrative for it. This feels more and more like the classic Fighting Fantasy gamebooks.
    ...I'm not sure if that was praise or criticism, to be honest. :-P

Anyway, 2.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    2. Can't do much but randomly pick something.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ok, time to stratergise and think what everyone else is gonna do to get the best we can out of this.

Aside from being a bit hungry, Javier seems perfectly healthy so no need to take a rest action and he can just grab whatever from where he ends up. Maria/Saver are gonna head out to find The Herald so she;s gonna head to the square. Seigi "Badly injured man not done partying yet" Nomikata just got penetrated and not in a pleasant way so chances are he's not going to stick around with the maid unless they start round 2 again right away (or meme seigi from the server takes over), perhaps he'll stick around with either Liria or Caster. I'm not sure what the others are gonna do myself.

Maria will likely need some form of backup but it doesn't necessarily have to be us, anyone has the capacity to fill that role comfortably but if we don't check in on Fiore and the Drakes we may end up with another Sakura situation which would be Very Bad.

Therefore I go with 2