Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Would your town make for an interesting location for a Holy Grail War?

Tranquilo, Japones, Tranquilo JetKinen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd say so.

I've already talked about some plot ideas and themes, but geographically speaking Recife has some interesting stuff to it.
    It's a big city cramped down by some other big cities. A tropical city cut by many rivers, Recife has 1,5 million souls living in it. It's a very culturally rich region filled with many movements unique to it. It has a very diverse set of locations with big buildings from where you can see the big skyline, the historical centre filled with buildings inspired by the portuguese/dutch time as a colony, little shanty towns near the rivers and the poor people in the suburbs in the hills.

photo

thanks skycrapercity

It might be too big for a HGW tho. Too much collateral damage

Last edited by JetKinen; June 29th, 2018 at 12:01 PM.

Fate Grand/Order ID: 102947414/GreenBob
    JetKinen's tries very poorly to translate a brazilian book

I live in a small town in New Hampshire, so it probably wouldn't be a very interesting location. The terrain is pretty rough around here, because of that there are a bunch of hills surrounding the town, so there would be some natural vantage points. The population of it is something around 15,000 so I guess it could be a ideal place because of the low amount of people living here. And it gets below freezing for the most part in winter, so people wouldn't be to keen on heading out. There is also a river (more like a large stream) that runs through the center of town, but the effect of that would be negligible. It would be a quiet but uninteresting place for a Holy Grail War.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by wehrmachtspooky View Post
    I live in a small town in New Hampshire, so it probably wouldn't be a very interesting location. The terrain is pretty rough around here, because of that there are a bunch of hills surrounding the town, so there would be some natural vantage points. The population of it is something around 15,000 so I guess it could be a ideal place because of the low amount of people living here. And it gets below freezing for the most part in winter, so people wouldn't be to keen on heading out. There is also a river (more like a large stream) that runs through the center of town, but the effect of that would be negligible. It would be a quiet but uninteresting place for a Holy Grail War.
    Do we know the population figures for Fuyuki?

Inactive
    Blog Entries
    Yes, mine's actually "close" enough from the real Fuyuki in Hyougo Prefecture... it's just an hour of train from my place...

Quote Originally Posted by Tepanyakigo View Post
    Yes, mine's actually "close" enough from the real Fuyuki in Hyougo Prefecture... it's just an hour of train from my place...
    So would a Grail War be situated in Hyougo Prefecture Fuyuki or your town?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Shower Thoughts:
    Orlando, Florida would make for one heck of a GW locale.

Not the most secluded or secretive, but definitely one of the most interesting places, and not without a hint of irony. Magic explosions, armies clashing, pop culture memorabilia and consumer paraphernalia being strewn about as battles tear through the city, the theme parks, the 'glades.

I can see why, now, that Nasu was so eager to include a battle in a theme in Mahoyo, to the point he seemed like a man possessed. Flat Snark, but on a grander scale. Less an isolated setpiece, and more of a setting for people to live and die, for stories to be told.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    So who makes a ritual circle and familiars in legoland
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    So who makes a ritual circle and familiars in legoland
    Caster. A workshop is dangerous enough territory without the threat of stepping on LEGO bricks.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Shower Thoughts:
    Orlando, Florida would make for one heck of a GW locale.

Not the most secluded or secretive, but definitely one of the most interesting places, and not without a hint of irony. Magic explosions, armies clashing, pop culture memorabilia and consumer paraphernalia being strewn about as battles tear through the city, the theme parks, the 'glades.

I can see why, now, that Nasu was so eager to include a battle in a theme in Mahoyo, to the point he seemed like a man possessed. Flat Snark, but on a grander scale. Less an isolated setpiece, and more of a setting for people to live and die, for stories to be told.
    It'd be like JJBA Part VI, which did partially take place in Orlando and ended in Cape Canaveral. That would be quite fun.

- - - Updated - - -

As for either of my places of residence, I currently live in Austin, Texas and go to university there, and it could be an interesting place to have a Grail War, but downtown is a bit too packed.

My hometown is Dallas, and it'd basically be like having the Grail War in Shinto only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

How well would Miami, Florida work as a locale for a Grail War?

As stated in Percy Jackson and the Olympians, all weird shit washes up in Miami, so yes, it'd be great.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

屍鬼 Ghoul
    Honesty when I think about it my City/Town (the area where I live) would be absolutely perfect for a holy grail war- especially if you wanted to hide it from normal people.

I live in Fullerton California and anyone who lives in Orange County will know is that at night you will always hear the sound of explosions- specifically the sound of fireworks since right next to Fullerton is Anaheim, the city that contains Disney Land. So almost every knight you'll hear the sound of fireworks which'll cover the sounds of servants fighting, at least to a degree that won't sound super strange to anyone.

The next best thing is that in Fullerton we have a lot of Golf Courses, Parks and Trails. Hell we even have large area's full on wild animals (mostly coyotes since you'll hear dozens of those assholes barking and howling in the middle of night) that are fenced off. This would make a perfect area for servants to fight without worrying to much about the locals- well as long as they don't start spamming anti-fortress NP's cause people will start to think some jackass started another fire (its Southern California, we get massive ass fire's almost every month) or was stupid enough to bring some illegal fireworks from Mexico.

So yeah Fullerton would probably make a great location.
    Last edited by Parks_98; April 29th, 2019 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Misspelling

US Friend Code
    Just saw this thread. My place actually has a church in it, its in a walking distance too.

It is quite crowded here though, having an assassin servant would be more ideal since any powerful servant can in no way hide here without doing damage to property and waking up everyone. Any AoE noble phantasm is a no-go

There is a pretty wide open road just near my place that it can probably serve as the first fighting ground during the middle of the night. Another area for a fight is probably the public court and playground too. Actually, there is also a golf course area in my hometown but its a pretty long walk from here, I imagine that's the place where the big and decisive fight will happen.

Thanks to this post, I can sleep in bed with this thought for a while.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
    I didn't give it much though before, but yes I think "Pribram" in bohemia is close to perfect place. Medium town with history, jewish cemetery, abandoned silver and uranium mines (some used as gas reservoires for case you need excuse), nearby prison, what more would wish? Oh right good powerspot. Big ass baroque basilic which happens to be one of most significant pilgrim site in europe on mountain covered by forests should do, right?

Though no local heroes here, that suck.
    You're next to Prague, so there's pretty much 100% chance of heavy Association meddling, assuming the entire war is not a Prague Association experiment in the first place, which it probably is. And 50km of capital is way enough for any local hero to get homeground buffs. In fact I'd say you could summon German or Polish people and they would still get home field advantage.

Then again Aylesbury is 60km away from London and Clock Tower can apparently just let Apostles convene there with no intervention, so who knows.

Maybe it's because they have an agreement, or are the DAAs as a group too powerful for Clocktower to eliminate outright?

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty highly that Lorelei was going to be there anyway, and it might be that Tsuki-magi just suck too much to do anything to Apostles because something something human order.

Which just makes you wonder how many orders of super saiyan higher Fate!Loreli is, and just how busted Ciel could be in Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Then again Aylesbury is 60km away from London and Clock Tower can apparently just let Apostles convene there with no intervention, so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude II
    This time, it wasn't just about the Church.
    A decisive battle that was being prepared for years.
    The development of Aylesbury that not only the Church, but the mage's association stood and watched as it build up.
    A countryside village of England has transformed itself to an industrial region in merely 10 years.
    By just using human power, by legit funds and labor, although out of date, a band of factories were built in the commercially worthless land.
    It's a shame, but even if that was a farm for the Dead Apostles, even the Magicians won't be able to touch them as long as it was run by innocent people.
    How can existences on the side of the super natural can interfere with something that was built by the hands of the people using fair and square methods, without the use of mystics? The only time they can, is when that fair and squareness has collapsed.
    "Geez. I wonder who came up with that idea. Everyone knows that the gate to Hell is opening, but they can't do anything until it does"
    ...Actually the priest knew whose idea it was very well.
    The company that invested in the factory construction at the village that was on the verge of perish by declining population, was V&V Industry. It was a nostalgic old home of the priest.
    dot

- - - Updated - - -

The place where Dawn lost his
    soul
    name
    is a "farm for the Dead Apostles", that's a mild thonker

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    dot
    Damn. That is quite the Catch-22. Also, magi do have some restraint with regards to ordinary people? Color me surprised, since I thought they didn't give a tart except when it comes to concealment.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Damn. That is quite the Catch-22. Also, magi do have some restraint with regards to ordinary people? Color me surprised, since I thought they didn't give a tart except when it comes to concealment.
    >implying

It's easier to not do stuff than it is to do stuff, esp. when y'all got your own terirtory and affairs to run.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm. My hometown might make for an interesting HGW, but more for the tactical and strategic side, or SoL, than for some flashy environmental gimmicks or big-name heroes. It's terrain can vary a lot, especially around the outlying areas where the regions hills and valleys become much more noticeable. There's a great deal of ongoing construction in the area; it's one of the US's fastest growing cities, but at the same time, there's little night life outside of the city center. Most of it is quiet suburbs, though the college can be seen as almost a town unto itself.

The mix of terrain and its proximity to the much larger city of Nashville open up some interesting possibilities, as do the relatively large number of open spaces in and around the city, including a few parks and quite a bit of farm and woodland space. However, the population means that open warfare would be difficult to conceal, and large-scale attacks would be problematic. It lends itself well to more subtle Servants fighting skirmishing guerrilla wars and trying to locate enemy Servants and Masters rather than large-scale battles. This is a place for duels in the dark, not bombing campaigns.

Also, one could easily work in the oft-referenced "big one" earthquake we're overdue for. The last time the fault in the area had a big quake, it created a lake and made the Mississippi River flow backwards for a week, so there's that if you want some horrendous natural disaster to be tied to the Grail.

The area probably would buff most US Servants, but definitely Confederate ones. The Lost Cause of the South is a powerful idea here. It would also likely buff most New Testament figures; sometimes it seems like there's a church on every street corner, though there's also the mosque and a Buddhist Temple on the outskirts, if in opposite directions from one another. There's an interesting ethnic mix in the city due to the neighboring state capital and the college, which draws exchange students. Something like 10-20% of the population are college students, giving an interesting angle and age demographic for potential masters being manipulated into some nefarious scheme, and there are quite a few old, large houses that might be home to a magus dynasty in secret, sitting quietly besides more modern homes as if nothing was out of place.

Presumably the city has some decent ley lines, as those are usually in line with geographic features and are associated with growth and prosperity of the community.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see