Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Would your town make for an interesting location for a Holy Grail War?

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelveseal View Post
    Hmmmm. My hometown might make for an interesting HGW, but more for the tactical and strategic side, or SoL, than for some flashy environmental gimmicks or big-name heroes. It's terrain can vary a lot, especially around the outlying areas where the regions hills and valleys become much more noticeable. There's a great deal of ongoing construction in the area; it's one of the US's fastest growing cities, but at the same time, there's little night life outside of the city center. Most of it is quiet suburbs, though the college can be seen as almost a town unto itself.

The mix of terrain and its proximity to the much larger city of Nashville open up some interesting possibilities, as do the relatively large number of open spaces in and around the city, including a few parks and quite a bit of farm and woodland space. However, the population means that open warfare would be difficult to conceal, and large-scale attacks would be problematic. It lends itself well to more subtle Servants fighting skirmishing guerrilla wars and trying to locate enemy Servants and Masters rather than large-scale battles. This is a place for duels in the dark, not bombing campaigns.

Also, one could easily work in the oft-referenced "big one" earthquake we're overdue for. The last time the fault in the area had a big quake, it created a lake and made the Mississippi River flow backwards for a week, so there's that if you want some horrendous natural disaster to be tied to the Grail.

The area probably would buff most US Servants, but definitely Confederate ones. The Lost Cause of the South is a powerful idea here. It would also likely buff most New Testament figures; sometimes it seems like there's a church on every street corner, though there's also the mosque and a Buddhist Temple on the outskirts, if in opposite directions from one another. There's an interesting ethnic mix in the city due to the neighboring state capital and the college, which draws exchange students. Something like 10-20% of the population are college students, giving an interesting angle and age demographic for potential masters being manipulated into some nefarious scheme, and there are quite a few old, large houses that might be home to a magus dynasty in secret, sitting quietly besides more modern homes as if nothing was out of place.

Presumably the city has some decent ley lines, as those are usually in line with geographic features and are associated with growth and prosperity of the community.
    Also, musical Servants might get a buff, considering Nashville's musical reputation, if that means anything for this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    True, particularly those associated with Country and Rock. Elvis Caster?
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

New Orleans would be a good place for a Grail War, right?
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I expect some funky stuff to be done to his Saint Graph to make things viable/interesting, but yeah, could see it happen.

- - - Updated - - -

A semi-related idea:
    TATARI manifesting as Elvis.

- - - Updated - - -

If we're gonna go pants-on-head we might as well go all the way, yet feasibly so.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    I work as an EMT in Atlanta, Georgia these days.

So can we not? I don't want to spend two weeks working insane overtime scraping up the people that some crazy magi blew away.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

Or you could be one of the victims...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    I expect some funky stuff to be done to his Saint Graph to make things viable/interesting, but yeah, could see it happen.

- - - Updated - - -

A semi-related idea:
    TATARI manifesting as Elvis.

- - - Updated - - -

If we're gonna go pants-on-head we might as well go all the way, yet feasibly so.
    But I thought TATARI doesn't exist in Fate worlds.

Blog Entries
    Now that I've started thinking about it, a premise and plot are forming. Thanks, brain. Thanks. Also, Rider!Davy Crockett and his lightning bolt mount.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic

Now that I've started thinking about it, a premise and plot are forming. Thanks, brain. Thanks. Also, Rider!Davy Crockett and his lightning bolt mount.
    Would he get home base bonuses in Tennessee, Texas, or both? Also, he'd be a good Archer/Gunner.

Blog Entries
    Both, tbh. Also Washington, due to his political career. However, he'd probably get the biggest benefits in TN and TX. Most of his exploits are associated with the former, and his last stand at the Alamo for the latter.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Or you could be one of the victims...

- - - Updated - - -

But I thought TATARI doesn't exist in Fate worlds.
    Elvis having a distored SG is a necessity, and an existence warped by otherness or rumor is the point of similarity, you dingus.

I was just making comparisons.

- - - Updated - - -

Foreigner Elvis, with the excuse that he was abducted by aliens.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.

Blog Entries
    Elvis didn't die, kid. He just went home.

So yeah, he wasn't fat, just full of space worm tentacle dealies. But yeah, I agree. He's too modern for a conventional Servant without some shenanigans. Tbh, I'm not sure why you'd want to summon him for a HGW. Other stuff, sure, why not? But I don't think his military service would cut it against the usual suspects.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Elvis didn't die, kid. He just went home.

So yeah, he wasn't fat, just full of space worm tentacle dealies. But yeah, I agree. He's too modern for a conventional Servant without some shenanigans. Tbh, I'm not sure why you'd want to summon him for a HGW. Other stuff, sure, why not? But I don't think his military service would cut it against the usual suspects.

>Implying Foreigner Azathoth-Presley isn't the mastermind behind it all, playing foul song that perverts the world for the sake of lofty and unseen machinations

Blog Entries
    This reminds me of my old crack-fic days... surf contests suggested by Alulim and whatnot. But no, not quite the idea I had for a premise. Interesting though. It's been done before, sadly. Hack/Slash had Elvis serving weird alien beings as an agent collecting human women for his overlords to breed with.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    dot

- - - Updated - - -

The place where Dawn lost his
    soul
    name
    is a "farm for the Dead Apostles", that's a mild thonker
    Brexit was engineered by mages in the government to collapse the British economy and stop Aylesbury

- - - Updated - - -

Caster Elvis but you set the war in Nashville instead of Memphis, smh

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    New Orleans would be a good place for a Grail War, right?
    I assume it might prove especially useful for necromancer type Masters?

Also hmm would a Grail War in Cleveland, Ohio be like the most boring place for a potential Grail War?

Because I'm trying to imagine a setting or place that is suited for a Grail War but is also utterly boring in locale or history in some way as well.
    Last edited by warellis; May 2nd, 2019 at 03:20 AM.

My hometown is somewhat tame and "airy". I suppose that makes it a better fit for a HGW than a really densely packed megapolis. There's at least a few places I can see Servants duking it out at night, makes for a pretty mental image. That said, the city itself is uneventful enough (historically) that it probably wouldn't have points of interest such as holy grounds or important ley-lines.

I do have what I consider a cool idea for a Servant relating to my country's history though. If he/she was summoned, that'd be cool.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Even though I don't think so, odds are Bogota would make for a better HGW than Fuyuki...

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    I assume it might prove especially useful for necromancer type Masters?

Also hmm would a Grail War in Cleveland, Ohio be like the most boring place for a potential Grail War?

Because I'm trying to imagine a setting or place that is suited for a Grail War but is also utterly boring in locale or history in some way as well.
    Cleveland is probably too densely populated. I'd say some place in flyover country might work better.

Blog Entries
    Harrisburg (My old town) would make a good HGW I think. Not to big but big enough not to be like local. Also sick bridges for fights and lots of outside land for your eiinzbern castles.

Houston would be took big I think. Too much eyes around and I feel like more suited for casual DA slaughter.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    Not sure how interesting getting my apartment blasted by an energy beam would be