Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way these FSN characters call each other first name?

The way these FSN characters call each other first name?

I feel something wrong when thinking about it.
    Japanese is the country of “ Last name culture”, they usually will not use the first name to call each other. Follow my knowledge, they only use their first name to call someone if they are members of the same family, or if they have a very close relationship with each other.

However, in FSN, characters usually call each other by their first name. And I can’t understand their logic.

1/ Begin with Shirou. He always calls Shinji, Sakura, Issei by their first name. However, he always calls Rin is Tohsaka, even after they have sex with each other in UBW route.

I can understand that he has a close relationship with Shinji, Issei, and Sakura.

So, what is Shirou’s logic here? He thinks Issei and Shinji are more close to him than even his lover ( Rin in UBW route)??

2/ Next is Rin. She always calls Sakura, Kirei by their first name. She usually calls Shinji by his first name,too. And she calls Shirou by his first name from day 4, just several hours after he accepted to fight in HGW, if he accepts to ally with her ( meanwhile, Shirou still calls her as Tohsaka).

I don’t sure whether Rin trying to show Sakura as her real sister or not ( when Sakura begins to call her as Nee-san, she feels confused and doesn't ready to accept that relationship). But I am sure that Rin always hates Kirei and tries to stay away from him. She doesn’t have a relationship with Shinji,too. But exclude the prologue ( call him Matou-kun while he tries to seduce her), she keeps calling him Shinji almost everytime, no matter he is her enemy.

Meanwhile, she still calls Ayako by her last name everytime. While Ayako is her only close friend before when she knows about Shirou.

So, what is Rin’s logic? She calls anyone in the Magus’ community by their first name?

3/ I don’t know if I should include Illya here. She always calls Rin, Sakura, Shirou by their first name. We can say that Illya is a foreigner and doesn’t know about Japanese’s culture. However, Medea is a foreigner,too. And she calls Kuzuki by his first name ( Souchirou-sama).

4/ Meanwhile. Shinji and Issei always call Shirou by his last name ( Emiya), while Shirou always calls them by their first name. Isn’t it so strange?

So. All of these points have any meaning and logic? What Nasu trying to say? Did I miss something here?
    Last edited by kohaku; January 26th, 2022 at 03:35 AM.

Blog Entries
    I think you're interpreting this as a rule set in stone when it isn't so, and are also overestimating your knowledge on the topic.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I never really thought about it in depth before, but it's an interesting observation.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I think that for Rin and Shirou at least, Shirou calls her by last name pretty much always out of a sense of awkwardness that he doesn't have with Sakura, probably because she is his idol crush, and Rin exploits the hell out of that and calls him by first name to fluster him. Also, Shirou is very old-fashioned and sexist with regards to treating women. I think only Sakura and Taiga are exceptions at first.

Also, does Shirou actually call Kirei by name and not "Father Kotomine/Kotomine-shinpu"? I don't think anyone but Rin and Gilgamesh actually refer to him by his given name, and both have been associated with him for over a decade. Heck, Kirei is Rin's guardian, if a really bad one. That, and Rin hates him.

As for Shinji, I suppose Rin's been aware of him outside of school for long enough to refer to him by name, and she mostly does it when she isn't bothering to be polite, which is a lot of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

"Ah, Tohsaka, good morning. I'm lucky to see you so early."
    Bad luck. I've run into someone I don't want to see.

"Good morning, Matou-kun. You're early today."
    "Of course. As the captain, I have to come early as an example to others."

This smiling guy is Matou Shinji, of class 2-C.
    He's the vice-captain of the archery club and owner of the hearts of half the girls in this school.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

I thought she referred to Shinji by name outside the prologue, when she referred to him as Matou-kun in perhaps the most exquisite display of politeness judo I've seen.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Doesn't Shirou normally call Kirei either by his last name or does a full name yell?

I can't remember if he ever called Kirei by his first name alone.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Doesn't Shirou normally call Kirei either by his last name or does a full name yell?

I can't remember if he ever called Kirei by his first name alone.

Thank you for correct me. I have just checked novel again. Shirou always call Kirei is Kotomine.

I think it's part of both their characterization and handy for fleshing out their relationships to each other. Rin seems to be the most aware of this which is what makes Archer hitting her with a 'Rin' extra funny.

It's probably shirou problem. Tohsaka is the one he can't take off his mind as "she is sexy as hell". He is probably embarrassed to call by her first name. but looking at archer he eventually learns to call her by her first name eventually that is.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    My boy is down so bad that he needs to live an infinite amount of time outside the confines of regular space-time to be able to call Rin by her first name.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    See, I felt like something was wrong about Shirou calling Kirei by first name because I would never forget the Unlimited Codes "KOTOMINE!" yell.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    See, I felt like something was wrong about Shirou calling Kirei by first name because I would never forget the Unlimited Codes "KOTOMINE!" yell.
    Ever notice Kotomine also calls Shirou by his full first and last name generally?

They just like to yell each others full names.

I think Kotomine does it to constantly drive home to Shirou that he's constantly comparing him to Kerry. That, or it annoys Shirou.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    I think it's pretty much a staple in japanese media to call your enemies by their full name, so I don't see Kirei's use of them all that strange.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I think Kotomine does it to constantly drive home to Shirou that he's constantly comparing him to Kerry.
    Yeah. I always felt he emphazised the Emiya whenever he said it.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Anime characters persisting on addressing each other via their family names even after getting into relationships isn't new. A two-week thrust into a relationship wouldn't necessarily change that for Shirou. He addresses Shinji and Issei by their given names because he considers them pals, they don't do the same back for different reasons. Shinji probably because of the weird way he sees friendship, and Issei probably because he's super uptight. With Sakura he likely started calling her Matou but after giving her the key to his house he likely considered them close enough to start using her given name.

Rin addresses Kirei and Shinji via their given names because she doesn't respect them. It's not just about closeness. She just despises them. Sakura is kept the way she is because it's not like Rin forgot their time as sisters, plus she is still her Senpai so she probably sees no problem in keeping the given name. She swaps with Shirou depending on the situation, "Emiya-kun" is mostly used to keep appearances as Homurahara's perfect honor student, once that veil falls back thanks to the HGW she has no reason to keep up that appearance to Shirou.
    Last edited by TomPen94; January 26th, 2022 at 07:06 PM. Reason: correction
    burn your dread you coward

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Shinji always saw Shirou as more like his only friend.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    Anime characters persisting on addressing each other via their family names even after getting into relationships isn't new. A two-week thrust into a relationship wouldn't necessarily change that for Shirou. He addresses Shinji and Issei by their given names because he considers them pals, they don't do the same back for different reasons. Shinji probably because he never really considered Shirou an actual friend, and Issei probably because he's super uptight. With Sakura he likely started calling her Matou but after giving her the key to his house he likely considered them close enough to start using her given name.

Rin addresses Kirei and Shinji via their given names because she doesn't respect them. It's not just about closeness. She just despises them. Sakura is kept the way she is because it's not like Rin forgot their time as sisters, plus she is still her Senpai so she probably sees no problem in keeping the given name. She swaps with Shirou depending on the situation, "Emiya-kun" is mostly used to keep appearances as Homurahara's perfect honor student, once that veil falls back thanks to the HGW she has no reason to keep up that appearance to Shirou.
    She also uses "Emiya-kun" to tease Shirou and express her anger more passive-aggressively.

As for the rest, agree, but for Shinji, I agree with mAc here.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Yea no you guys are right, it's just Shinji's concept of some things is just weird.
    burn your dread you coward