Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2126293031323336 ... LastLast

Thread: Least favourite servant?

Saber and Diarmuid as platonic mutuals is the only acceptable answe

I don't really see anything interesting in Arturia and Diarmuid considering F/Z Arturia is a terrible out of character construct made by Gen solely for hamfisted drama and lolhonor stuff.

So can you really say their interactions are cool if one of the characters is not really themself the entire time?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Achilles.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    I don't really see anything interesting in Arturia and Diarmuid considering F/Z Arturia is a terrible out of character construct made by Gen solely for hamfisted drama and lolhonor stuff.

So can you really say their interactions are cool if one of the characters is not really themself the entire time?
    But was she out of character if her character in FSN was a direct result of what happened in the Fourth Holy Grail War?

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    But was she out of character if her character in FSN was a direct result of what happened in the Fourth Holy Grail War?
    I mean that would mean she would loosen up her morals as a direct result of Kerrys actions, and his criticism of her 'hnr'. Which I don't think she would.

Quote Originally Posted by Urameshi Yūsuke View Post
    I mean that would mean she would loosen up her morals as a direct result of Kerrys actions, and his criticism of her 'hnr'. Which I don't think she would.
    Don't forget Rider basically dismissed and invalidated her entire principle of kingship, and she saw that if she tried to be "honorable" in the quest for the Grail, she'd only be trod upon and beaten down.

Don't forget Rider basically dismissed and invalidated her entire principle of kingship, and she saw that if she tried to be "honorable" in the quest for the Grail, she'd only be trod upon and beaten down.
    The thing is, shes did do dishonorable stuff during war, she had no problem with the stuff. She was only ever about 'honor' when facing a fellow knight in 1 to 1 combat.

What Rider dismissed was that a King should serve the people, and completely detach themselves from being like them as a person; he argued that a King must instead being the pinnacle of a human, being extreme in everything they do with all the pros and the cons that come as such.
    Last edited by Urameshi Yūsuke; August 18th, 2018 at 01:23 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Considering Urobuchi essentially wrote a basfic, how exactly can it not be OOC?

Blog Entries
    So

what’s the question now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Urameshi Yūsuke View Post
    The thing is, shes did do dishonorable stuff during war, she had no problem with the stuff. She was only ever about 'honor' when facing a fellow knight in 1 to 1 combat.

What Rider dismissed was that a King should serve the people, and completely detach themselves from being like them as a person; he argued that a King must instead being the pinnacle of a human, being extreme in everything they do all the pros and the cons.
    Yeah, he said that, true, but he also told Saber point blank that she only saved people, never lead them, and that she wasn't worthy of being addressed as a fellow king. The part about only saving and never leading in particular stuck with her, and it made her believe she was at fault for her kingdom falling, and it made her change her wish from doing over her reign to erasing her existence and letting someone else become King instead because they could have done better. Also, Saber was also "betrayed" by Kiritsugu right at the end because seemingly out of the blue (to her), he forced her to destroy the ticket to her salvation against her will when previously she thought they both wanted the Grail, and so she definitely got bitter after that. Furthermore, Kiritsugu's lack of honor stretched her tolerance quite a bit, and the admittedly brutal way he disposed of Lancer and Kayneth made her lose what little faith she had in him. Finally, Lancelot's madness really got to her, and with all that happened to her and all the time she had to think about it on that hill at Camlann, it's no surprise she turned more bitter like she was in FSN.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    It's like a chicken and the egg situation, but Saber's character in FSN didn't exist in Zero, and as you said, it's basically a baswork, so how can she be OOC if the C doesn't exist yet?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    It's like a chicken and the egg situation, but Saber's character in FSN didn't exist in Zero, and as you said, it's basically a baswork, so how can she be OOC if the C doesn't exist yet?
    The C did exist. It was just disregarded because the prequel author wanted to bash on her. It's very simple.

In fact, the C existed even in-story because we know Arturia was fighting dirty during the wars back in her time. Kiritsugu would know that as well.

It's literally, in-between her life & FSN's period, that Arturia is essentially acting OOC.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In fact, the C existed even in-story because we know Arturia was fighting dirty during the wars back in her time. Kiritsugu would know that as well.

It's literally, in-between her life & FSN's period, that Arturia is essentially acting OOC.
    Wasn't that addressed in the story itself? Arturia chose to be summoned in the Grail War because she thought it was a better alternative to the wars she knew in life; an honorable battleground where heroes could fight without involving entire nations or innocent civilians. Seeing Kiritsugu stomp all over that idea was what pissed her off, not his "dirty tactics" themselves.

The C did exist. It was just disregarded because the prequel author wanted to bash on her. It's very simple.

I don't think Urobutcher was even truly bashing Artoria in Zero, since Kiritsugu's ideals weren't spared either, nor was anything else he did, and honestly, I came out thinking both had a point, but neither on their own was correct. I personally lean towards Artoria's side of things, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Wasn't that addressed in the story itself? Arturia chose to be summoned in the Grail War because she thought it was a better alternative to the wars she knew in life; an honorable battleground where heroes could fight without involving entire nations or innocent civilians. Seeing Kiritsugu stomp all over that idea was what pissed her off, not his "dirty tactics" themselves.
    Yes, this. And besides, the key parts of her character, such as her wanting to change Britain's fate and her martyr complex, remained largely unchanged, but her perspective on the War itself was far more naive and trusting, since she saw it as a second chance and not assisted suicide/retcon.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    There's very little bashing, and what bashing there is comes from a manchild accusing her of the same thing he does, and two tyrants who, I dunno about you, but I'd rather assassinate than have anywhere near my country. Butcher & Nasu were right when they said Zero was basically "Saber gets bullied"- it's not as if bullies have a reason for anything they do.

It's true she did save people rather than lead them, but that's rich coming from the guy who had to get into a fight with a god-wrecking weapon to chill out and stop being a bastard to the country he ruled, and the guy whose "reign" was just him murdering his way across the continent because he wanted to go to a tourist spot.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    There's very little bashing, and what bashing there is comes from a manchild accusing her of the same thing he does, and two tyrants who, I dunno about you, but I'd rather assassinate than have anywhere near my country. Butcher & Nasu were right when they said Zero was basically "Saber gets bullied"- it's not as if bullies have a reason for anything they do.

It's true she did save people rather than lead them, but that's rich coming from the guy who had to get into a fight with a god-wrecking weapon to chill out and stop being a bastard to the country he ruled, and the guy whose "reign" was just him murdering his way across the continent because he wanted to go to a tourist spot.
    Very true. Iskandar, despite his general affability, charisma, and decent point, really was an unapologetic tyrant who led his men on a basically impossible quest for 20 years. However, he did, both in real life and in his Nasuverse backstory, attempt to exchange cultural ideas between his realms, fuse Greek and Eastern ideas, and generally unite his people, and despite his territorial gains being quickly reversed, his cultural gains were long-lasting, since some people in Central Asia still spoke Greek up to the early 20th century.

Since Zero is explicitly not set in the exact same timelines as FSN, I chalk up the differences in characterization to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

The alternate continuity is a practical retcon for certain events of the fourth war mentioned in F/SN that were changed when F/Z was actually written.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    If by "wrote a bashfic" you mean "basically wrote half her character as we know her today", sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true. Iskandar, despite his general affability, charisma, and decent point, really was an unapologetic tyrant who led his men on a basically impossible quest for 20 years. However, he did, both in real life and in his Nasuverse backstory, attempt to exchange cultural ideas between his realms, fuse Greek and Eastern ideas, and generally unite his people, and despite his territorial gains being quickly reversed, his cultural gains were long-lasting, since some people in Central Asia still spoke Greek up to the early 20th century.
    >An unapologetic tyrant
    He was practically worshipped (and no, I don't mean as a god-king like Darius and the Pharaohs were) by his army, his rule was an improvement for pretty much every single one of his subjects, and he was not an iota more or less authoritarian than any of the kings of his era... so what exactly makes him a tyrant? A conqueror, sure, an empire builder, yes, but a tyrant? No. Not even by the original meaning of the word, since he inherited his kingdom.

- - - Updated - - -

the guy whose "reign" was just him murdering his way across the continent because he wanted to go to a tourist spot.
    Please tell me you're not being serious.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

It took like a decade for Alexander's men to get tired of his shit, but before then he was absolutely beloved. And even then a large part of it was a fear that he was being too nice to his conquests, taking a Persian bride and being far too much of a Persiaboo which constituted a threat to Hellenism.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Please tell me you're not being serious.
    That's literally his final moment in F/Z, the dream he wants to be reincarnated into the modern world so he can start world war 3 so he can achieve.

He wants to go to the beach.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP