Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 611141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: Servant Redesign Thread

boxing treadmill lizards
    US Friend Code
    I don't really mind most of the genderbends. There a few that I wouldn't mind seeing changed back, but most of them I either don't care about either way, or have become attached to enough that I will defend their existence as such.
    • Give Jack clothes. I actually saw some really good art someone did of a clothed Jack that I thought was pretty good.
    • Make Liz more serious (not her personality necessarily, but as a character). I really like the idea of her wanting to distance herself from her future self, but the extreme that it's been take to makes her too much of a joke character. obviously event variations are fine, since they are joke characters, but i don't feel like that was the intentional with the original version.
    • Make Caesar less fat.
    • Change Boudica. I don't know how, but her design is just boring. It's like whoever designed her thought that revealing clothing meant automatic success.
    • Make Blackbeard less annoying and more badass
    • Give both of Arturia's lancer variations less chest.

And of course, my favorite totally serious suggestion: we all know the only way to fix Shuten-Douji is by making her a buff dude, but leaving him with the current Shuten's outfit.

Probably many others I'm forgetting.
    Last edited by RAMPANT; October 10th, 2018 at 06:12 PM.
    I Have a Signature.
    (Usually out of date) FGO NA support list

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMPANT View Post
    Give both of Arturia's lancer variations less chest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Except it is his backstory, the historical one. Not Goethe's adaptation one. Like the whole homunculus thing is based on the real world Alchemist Georg Faust, with his NP being based on how Faust died to an explosion. Book Mephistopheles, hell most folklore mephistopheles is covered by Innocent Monster, which mean it all fits.
    Bullshit. Historical Faust didn't deal with a devil named Mephistopheles, since that's a name hebrew-based name Goethe came up with.

If you're going with the historical basis, then maybe make FAUST the servant rather than making it the closely unspecified devil (which, in any contemporary interpretation, would be >the< devil, thus probably not a summonable character). After you do that, you really shouldn't make the mistake of giving this closely unspecified devil the extremely specific name which strictly refers to the devil featured in Goethe.

I am tired of arguing this. Fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

When you name your character Mephistopheles, no matter what you're going to do, you're going to be writing Faust. You're setting a bar of having to write something really good. You're going to be writing one of the most conflicting and fascinating characters in literature. Imagine pussying out of it so hard that what you deliver is this gravel oatmeal of a character with a sprinkle of xanax.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Shouldn't any demon/devil/whatever-Meph-actually-is be unsummonable to begin with? Shuten & Ibaraki stretch the rules pretty far, being completely not-human but bound to humanity in some way so as to make their summoning possible, but the western idea of demons/devils/so on are just straight-up inhuman enough that they shouldn't be anywhere near the Throne.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Shouldn't any demon/devil/whatever-Meph-actually-is be unsummonable to begin with? Shuten & Ibaraki stretch the rules pretty far, being completely not-human but bound to humanity in some way so as to make their summoning possible, but the western idea of demons/devils/so on are just straight-up inhuman enough that they shouldn't be anywhere near the Throne.
    That's probably why TM decided to go with the Homunculus idea in the first place. Personally, I think it's an interesting way to combine the legends of RL alchemist Faust and the literary figure Faust.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    are we still doing unsummonable in tyool 2018
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You can be on the throne as long as you have a soul and died
    There are robots on the throne
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    are we still doing unsummonable in tyool 2018
    resist my dude
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

boxing treadmill lizards
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Thus is my purpose.
    In all seriousness though, they look ridiculous. Especially alter. I feel the same about Raikou, but she's already been mentioned, and I don't much care for her anyway.
    I Have a Signature.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Bullshit. Historical Faust didn't deal with a devil named Mephistopheles, since that's a name hebrew-based name Goethe came up with.

If you're going with the historical basis, then maybe make FAUST the servant rather than making it the closely unspecified devil (which, in any contemporary interpretation, would be >the< devil, thus probably not a summonable character). After you do that, you really shouldn't make the mistake of giving this closely unspecified devil the extremely specific name which strictly refers to the devil featured in Goethe.

I am tired of arguing this. Fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

When you name your character Mephistopheles, no matter what you're going to do, you're going to be writing Faust. You're setting a bar of having to write something really good. You're going to be writing one of the most conflicting and fascinating characters in literature. Imagine pussying out of it so hard that what you deliver is this gravel oatmeal of a character with a sprinkle of xanax.
    Did I say anything about Mephistopheles name? I didn’t. Historical Faust didn’t make any deal with any demon period. He was a weirdo alchemist who probably died in one of his experiments. The deal with the Devil came about in folk stories based around his weird death or at least that is one theory.

also the name Mephistopheles was a thing way before Goethe, note the character in Christopher Marlowe Tragical History of Doctor Faustus whose name is Mephastophilis. See the similarity? I can’t see it possible that Goethe came up with a name when a play with a character by the name had existed nearly 2 centuries before Goethe was born. And if it is older then Goethe, likely it’s even older then Marlowe as well.

this isn’t the point I was making though, none of this goes against what is said because two words, Innocent Monster. Of course the name Mephistopheles brings up the image of Goethe’s work, it’s supposed to. Having this skill means that he is influenced by that tale significantly, hell going by what the skill gives him if it wasn’t because of that play or all the other folk stories that he inspired it’s likely he wouldn’t be able to even be a HS. That is the idea he’s based around, he is something bounded on the historical account of Faust as an alchemist then putting that through Nasuverse lens, explaning his origin while later legends paint him as a devil., thus creating him as a Servant. The tie into Goethe is intentional, hell his profile even makes him seem like Goethe’s one in the beginning, it is the separation between myth and history that his character is founded on.

Anyway though sure you might not like Mephistopheles as a Servant and that’s fine that you don’t like it and think it could have gone a better way. the thing I’m saying that the approach that they did went with it actually does have basis, and is as legitimate to my eyes as it can be. It isn’t cop out to me because when I see it and think about it, it makes sense. If you disagree fine, but for me I don’t see any problem, not really.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the problem more likely is that Nasuverse already have a firm idea on what a demon is, whether true or imaginary and I don’t think either fits well with the classical idea of the devil.
    Last edited by Iceblade44; October 10th, 2018 at 08:04 PM.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Thus is my purpose.
    In all seriousness though, they look ridiculous. Especially alter. I feel the same about Raikou, but she's already been mentioned, and I don't much care for her anyway.
    Their breasts are fine, just give them an artist that is not fucking terrible and preferably a better final ascension design for Lancer Alter.

JP Friend Code
    ban ishida already smh

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Iceblade44;2912988]Did I say anything about Mephistopheles name? I didn’t.[quote]
    I did.
    He shouldn't have a name tied to something great when he's lame. If he's just a homunculus with scissors that have nothing to do with anything and a bomb vaguely based off a few lines of text, then name him something else. Or scratch the whole concept.
    Naming him Mephistopheles confuses the audience and makes them expect something better than they get.

Historical Faust didn’t make any deal with any demon period.
    He was a weirdo alchemist who probably died in one of his experiments. The deal with the Devil came about in folk stories based around his weird death or at least that is one theory.

This is approaching the issue in reverse. You are taking the already fucked take on the myth which ruins anything interesting about it, as a fact. The moment they have decided the above is how they are going to interpret Johann Gregor Faust is the moment the servant Mephistopheles was ruined.

also the name Mephistopheles was a thing way before Goethe, note the character in Christopher Marlowe Tragical History of Doctor Faustus whose name is Mephastophilis. See the similarity? I can’t see it possible that Goethe came up with a name when a play with a character by the name had existed nearly 2 centuries before Goethe was born. And if it is older then Goethe, likely it’s even older then Marlowe as well.
    You are right about that, but when you say Mephistopheles everyone simply expects an extremely specific character and have no idea that this play even exists, and worse: he isn't nowhere near as interesting as Marlowe's character either. I'll give you a taste from Wikipedia.
    Mephistophiles is a demon whom Faustus conjures up while first using magic. Readers initially feel sympathy for the demon when he attempts to explain to Faustus the consequences of abjuring God and Heaven. Mephistophiles gives Faustus a description of Hell and the continuous horrors it possesses; he wants Faustus to know what he is getting himself into before going through with the bargain:
    Think’st thou that I who saw the face of God
    And tasted the eternal joy of heaven
    Am not tormented with ten thousand hells
    In being deprived of everlasting bliss?
    O Faustus, leave these frivolous demands
    Which strikes a terror to my fainting soul! [31]

However, Faustus believes that supernatural powers are worth a lifetime in Hell:
    Say he (Faustus) surrender up to him (Lucifer) his soul
    So he will spare him four and twenty years,
    Letting him live in all voluptuousness
    Having thee (Mephistophiles) ever to attend on me (Marlowe 15)

Some scholars[who?] argue that Mephistophiles depicts the sorrow that comes with separation from God. Mephistophiles is foreshadowing the pain Faustus would have to endure, should he go through with his plan.[32] In this facet, Faustus can be likened to Icarus, whose insatiable ambition was the source of his misery and the cause of his plight.
    Nice themes, eh? I'm sure glad we get honkity honk in FGO for it. I need scissors, 61

Banned
    Blog Entries
    • Give Jack clothes. I actually saw some really good art someone did of a clothed Jack that I thought was pretty good.

And of course, my favorite totally serious suggestion: we all know the only way to fix Shuten-Douji is by making her a buff dude, but leaving him with the current Shuten's outfit.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    I did.
    He shouldn't have a name tied to something great when he's lame. If he's just a homunculus with scissors that have nothing to do with anything and a bomb vaguely based off a few lines of text, then name him something else. Or scratch the whole concept.
    Naming him Mephistopheles confuses the audience and makes them expect something better than they get.

[/FONT]
    This is approaching the issue in reverse. You are taking the already fucked take on the myth which ruins anything interesting about it, as a fact. The moment they have decided the above is how they are going to interpret Johann Gregor Faust is the moment the servant Mephistopheles was ruined.

You are right about that, but when you say Mephistopheles everyone simply expects an extremely specific character and have no idea that this play even exists, and worse: he isn't nowhere near as interesting as Marlowe's character either. I'll give you a taste from Wikipedia.

Nice themes, eh? I'm sure glad we get honkity honk in FGO for it. I need scissors, 61
    So you main problem is that his name has way more hype then he's is? That is what I get you issue with this. Okay that's fine for you then. I actually don't think that's more of an mistake then your preference. Fate characters aren't supposed to be completely historical and mythical characters, that's something one must accept from the get go, we saw this in the very beginning in SN, examples being Medusa, Gilgamesh, and Angra Mainyu. If you feel that Fate Mephistopheles isn't as interesting as story Mephistopheles and feel disappointed in it that's fine, my argument and point was never about whether you should like it or not, it was whether it has any basis and legitimacy as an interpretation. You can dislike and like as much as you wish, that's fine with me.

If wanting to know my views I don't see as Fate Mephy as being less interesting because he's not the same, to me he is different and I find that interesting. I admit I do get annoyed sometimes with Mephys less serious actions and clownish behavior, but to me I find the inclusion and mix of history and myth to be interesting and fascinating in of itself, and that what makes me like him, that and when seeing him when he acts in the position of a devil, I find that cool. But those are my views on it and only mine since they match my preference, what I find interest in, which is different then yours and that's fine. Since as I said before that was never what I was talking about in the first place.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

boxing treadmill lizards
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Oh, nice, I managed to disgust two people in the same day. I'm on a roll. On a side note, does anyone know what that gif is from? it seems really familiar but I can't place it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Their breasts are fine, just give them an artist that is not fucking terrible and preferably a better final ascension design for Lancer Alter.
    Yeah, that'd be fine too. Just as long as those freakish breast-to-everything-else proportions are fixed.
    Last edited by RAMPANT; October 10th, 2018 at 11:08 PM.
    I Have a Signature.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Oh, nice, I managed to disgust two people in the same day. I'm on a roll. On a side note, does anyone know what that gif is from? it seems really familiar but I can't place it.
    Sakura Quest, starring Sakura Quest as Sakura Quest.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    It takes a man (or woman) of culture to appreciate Nasu Blackbeard. Same for Caesar.

Lancer Arturia's tits aren't bad so much as them appearing in her final ascension is bad.

Jack would be perfectly fine in a some hentai or a random edgy battle manga.

Liz is awful. Awfully perfect.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    You can be on the throne as long as you have a soul and died
    There are robots on the throne

I blame FGO, again.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.