Thread: Things you like in fan fiction/Your favorite Type-Moon fan works

Things you like in fan fiction/Your favorite Type-Moon fan works

There's some interesting conversation in the Index/Recommendation thread, but it seems more focused on broad-spectrum analysis and keeping up with the community as a whole, so I created this thread for more detailed personal opinions. What are the things you like best in Type Moon fan fiction, and what are some of your favorite examples?

I like fics that stick with canon characters, but in unique storylines (as opposed to the plots and plot ideas that tend to get overused in fanfiction). Also slice-of-life silliness and crackfics. Moczo wrote several of my favorites, including Happy Riniversary and Sick Time.

I take it for granted that writing will flow well and sound ordinary, unless purple prose is used intentionally for comedy - see Thirty H's. It's a quality that's hard to describe, and I only really notice its absence; I never come away thinking, "That was some good writing! It was NOT awkwardly phrased!"
    Last edited by Walnut Sparks; August 4th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
    Kill Em All 2004
    I am executor man
    410,757,864,530 DEAD APOSTLES

I like stuff that involves either Dead Apostles, Magus, TYPEs, sealing designations, eyes, vampires, etc.

屍食鬼 Ghoul
    The two main draws I have towards Type-moon stuff (that isn't H-scenes) is their long expositions on the lore of the world and their fights. They do those so well that its their bread and butter and I can't image a story made by type-moon that doesn't have those things. So when I'm reading a fan fiction that has those things I can't help but feel happy.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    As long they feel like LN/VN/translated Japanese instead of YA I probably like them.

Click the image to ConQUEST

Quote Originally Posted by A Certain Redditor
    At least during that long hiatus when we thought Index III was a pipe dream, we could still have hope. Hope for another good season to eventually one day come. Now we've just got... shattered dreams.

A bit of an odd mix for me, but here we go:

Detailed and/or technical fight scenes, like in the VNs.

Character-driven work with lots of entertaining interactions and snark.

Exploration or stretching of the known Nasuverse lore.