Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Umineko Oneshot Game

Fate/Umineko Oneshot Game

One day, a certain message arrived at the houses located in Fuyuki. Fourteen people found a golden envelope addressed to them, promising a fun, all expenses paid vacation at a lavish mansion some ways away. As it turns out, these fourteen people had nothing better to do and so, some by themselves and some with others, they began their journey towards the address listed.

Shirou,Saber, Rin, Archer, Sakura, Rider, Kuzuki, Caster, Assassin, Ilya, Bazett, Lancer, Caren and Kotomine found themselves standing before a giant mansion that had been built deep into a mountainside. No, rather calling it giant mansion might be an understatement. It was more like a humongous compound or perhaps a private resort would be more fitting. But more importantly....

“...Some type of anti-magic field? Or perhaps territory would be a more appropriate term,” Archer muttered to himself.

“Well the invitation did say that magecraft was forbidden. I’m amazed that the host was able to enforce such a rule,” Rin shrugged.

“Now now, it makes sense doesn’t it? If magic was allowed and a fight broke out, this place would get wrecked. Besides isn’t this supposed to be a vacation? Let’s all just go in and enjoy ourselves,” Shirou said with a light hearted smile. With those words, he made his way past the entrance gate, inside the territory. He was soon followed by the rest of the group.

Only Caster and Kotomine were remained at the entrance, with a feeling of unease in their hearts.

“The person who set this up… could it be…?”

“...I wonder what.... The meaning of all this is… Well there’s no point in thinking about it.”

With minor discomfort, the two followed the rest into the mansion, and the gate closed behind them.

----------

After the group had vanished inside, seemingly out of thin air two figures appeared where they had been standing just a minute before. One was a brilliant dazzling figure clad in a golden armor, and the other was a devilish looking girl with a demonic expression on her face. The identity of the host and mastermind should be obvious.

““Kehahahahaha! Who set it up? Who else could it be? I, the Golden Witch Hero King Gilgamesh am host and master of this land. And I, the Cute Angelic Demonic Witch Devil BB am the mastermind. Look look, see? Isn’t it proof enough that only we alone can use magic inside the zone of anti-magic? As for the meaning, it’s simple, all so simple. Entertainment, a game, the most dangerous, delightful game. Which way will the roulette spin, where will the ball land? Who will die and who will prosper? The actors have assembled, the stage is set, the anticipation is killing me, but it is still not quite yet time for the curtains to rise.”

Laughing to themselves, the Witch King and Devil vanished as the air cackled with electricity and loud rumblings could be heard in the distance.

-----------

The first thing visitors did was choose their rooms. It sounds simple, but it was surprisingly difficult as there were numerous rooms, each one quite luxurious. These rooms were unlocked but in each room on the drawer contained a single key which they could use to lock and unlock the door as need be. And of course once they chose their room, they would need to unpack their clothes and other belongings.

“Hmmm… looks like a storm is coming,” muttered Rider as she glanced out the window of her room in the midst of unpacking.

----------

Everybody had agreed to meet up in the main hall once they completed their tasks. However, something was different. On the table was a golden envelope that was not there before. Inside was a strange message.

‘Greetings visitors,
    Welcome to my humble abode. Please make use of it as you wish. Enjoy yourself, play, celebrate, live life to the fullest extent you can for it is finite and can often be cut short quite suddenly. Beyond that, I have recently come across a rather amazing treasure, yet it is of no use to me. So I shall share it with the victors of this game.The lower the number, greater the share.

Also forgive us for not showing ourselves for we are rather shy.’

“What a strange message,” remarked Sakura.

“More like nonsense,” retorted Rin.

Putting the odd message out of mind the group quickly forgot about it as they explored the rest of the mansion and began enjoying the various entertainments, unaware of the cruel, silent eyes watching them from the shadows, waiting for the game to begin.

They enjoyed themselves, played, celebrated, partied all evening long well into the evening. Rider helped Sakura make her way to her room, lending a shoulder for the exhausted Sakura to lean on.

As Rider closed the door, Sakura plopped onto the luxurious bed.

“Tired, Sakura?” Rider asked with a smile. The two of them had been locked in a rather intense series of tennis matches, wanting to finish the outdoor play before the storm arrived.

“Well yeah. Still though it’s been a fun day.” Sakura replied with a small laugh. “Everybody really is doing their own thing. Shirou and Archer are currently in the kitchen having their very own cooking duel with Saber, Rin, and Ilya as the judges. Lancer went out saying he wanted to try fishing in that lake near the mansion. Kotomine and Caren are playing chess in the study. Assassin said he wanted to read some of the poetry they had in the library. And I think Kuzuki and Bazett were playing darts in the lounge with Caster cheering Kuzuki on.”

“It’s really been a truly fun day.”

“...Yeah, it has. I hope this peaceful, fun atmosphere can continue-”

Rider’s words were interrupted by a sudden flash of lightning outside, the roar of thunder and the sound of pouring rain. The storm had finally arrived. And with it-

“SORRY BUT THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE, I M P O S S I B L E~”

A strange new voice echoed in Sakura’s room as the lights flickered on and off. Sakura lept off the bed and the two of them were instantly at guard.

“Sorry sorry not actually sorry at all~ It feels like it’s been an eternity but it’s finally time for this killing story to begin okay? I’m sure the spectators in the audience are tired of waiting, they’re bored out of their minds of this happy go lucky rose colored prologue. So boring I took zoned almost all of it out, has it really been an entire day like come~ on~. But that’s okay, because those of you in the audience reading and watching, it’s time for the curtains to rise, for the story to begin, so without furtherado IT’S SHOWTIME.”

A strange never before seen girl was in Sakura’s room. Although neither of the two knew who she was, she did bear a striking physical familiarity to Sakura herself. But that’s about where the similarities ended. In terms of personality and atmosphere the two couldn’t be more different. And more importantly the words she spoke sent shivers down the two’s spines.

“Killing story? What do you mean?”

The stranger turned her face towards Sakura. Her expression was filled with joy… along with an absolute cruelty and malice.

“You don’t need to know. All you need to do is lament your fortune and know that this story doesn’t need two purple haired heroines in it.”

“!? Sakura get away.”

A sinister black beam was fired at Sakura. Magic? It was impossible to use magic here. However there was no mistaking the thing before their eyes. Gritting her teeth, Rider through herself in the path of the attack.

And found her body pierced with holes. She died before she even hit the ground.

“Rider!?” Sakura screamed as she ran to the tattered corpse of her friend.

“Hmmm… Pretty foolish. All you did was delay her fate a little. Despair knowing that once judgement is handed it cannot be stopped. But still…” The devil looked at the girl who was crying hugging the body of her dead friend. She snapped her fingers and the corpse… vanished.

“What did you do!?”

“Don’t worry. All I did was… send her home. Now onto what I was doing before I was so rudely interrupted.”

A flash of darkness. The sound of a body hitting the floor. And seemingly from nowhere, joyous mocking laughter and thunderous applause as the Witch Devil took a bow and vanished.

----------

A scream echoed down the hallway. Several people heard it and began sprinting towards the sound, to see what had happened. Rin, Saber, Assassin, Kotomine, and Caren to find Ilya sitting on the floor screaming with fright. And they could clearly see why. On the door to Sakura’s room… was a strange symbol that had been painted on.

Spoiler:

Panicking, Rin ran up to the door, trying to open it but it was no use. The door was locked.

“Stand aside.”

The combined force of Kotomine and Assassin’s tackle broke the door open. Before them… laying on the bed was Sakura’s corpse. It was clearly a corpse. There was no way a living body could survive with so many holes punched through it. Even if perhaps they were non fatal… the stake that had pierced her throat was clearly fatal.

Another crack of lightning and thunder.

“Sakura… no….” Rin muttered, walking up to the body. “It can’t be…”

The rest of the group there silently followed her their eyes focused on the body of someone who had been alive just a few hours ago.

Caren solemnly closed Sakura’s eyes and began reciting a prayer so that she could rest in peace. As she finished she noticed that Sakura was grabbing something in her hand.

“What could this be…” Caren reached down and grabbed it.

It turned out to be… a key. But not the key to Sakura’s room. This was the key… to Rider’s room. A chill filled the room. There was no way, it was impossible, Rider couldn’t possibly have killed Sakura. But what other reason could there be to explain how the key to her room was in Sakura’s dead hands?

Anxiety and paranoia filled the group as they rushed to Rider’s room. Arriving there, the unpleasant feeling in their stomachs only grew. On the door to Rider’s room was the same symbol that had been on Sakura’s room. The door too was locked. Using the key they obtained from Sakura’s room, they unlocked it and slowly opened the door.

On the bed… lay the corpse of Rider. It was mutilated in a similar fashion to Sakura’s body. No, perhaps it might have even been worse. However what was the same the stake lodged in her throat.

Rin snapped. Screaming, she grabbed a chair and began smashing the walls, the windows, everything she could. “COME OUT MURDERER I’LL KILL YOU. YOU INVITE US JUST TO KILL US? I’LL KILL YOU I’LL KILL YOU I’LL KILL YOU I’LL-”

She was quickly restrained by Archer and Shirou. The rest of the visitors had finally arrived. All of them stared with horror at the scene before them as the rest of the group filled them in.

A nasty suspicion crossed Kotomine’s mind. Slowly approaching the corpse of Rider, he notices that she too was gripping something in her hands. Heart sinking, he leans forward and grabs it.

It was… the key to Sakura’s room.

Silence fell on the room.

----------

“A splendid opening act. Now it is the time for the second part.” The Witch King cackled in the darkness. The roulette was spun, his victims chosen.

----------

After the murders of Sakura and Rider were discovered, a somber, depressive atmosphere came over the rest of the group. As would be expected, nobody wanted to stay in the mansion anymore. However when they tried to leave they discovered that the gate to the outside world was closed shut and quite impossible to open. Getting soaked to the bone due to the ongoing storm, the survivors had no choice but to return to the mansion. Dinner was eaten in silence, and everybody kept to themselves, seemingly lost in thought until night fell. And then slowly, one by one each person in the mansion excused themselves to their own rooms and after making sure to look the doors, retired for the night.

----------

In the darkness of her room, Saber tried to put the images of the corpses out of her mind. However, it was futile, the picture of Sakura and Rider’s dead bodies were seared across her mind. She shut her eyes as hard as she could trying to force herself to sleep when a mysterious flash of light in her room forced her to open them.

There, in front of her was… the golden king in all his glory. A sinister aura surrounded him as weapons seemingly appeared in the air. Yes, in this place the only person permitted to use magic was this man!

“Rejoice Saber, for you are the next to be chosen. However, rules exist to be broken by me. If you submit, surrender yourself to me right now, I do not mind sparing you, changing your fate of death with another.”

Saber began to leap forward, with a burning hatred in her eyes. “I’ll never surren-”

“A pity”

A stake flew through the air and pierced her throat, knocking her back onto the bed. Countless more blades skewered her body, instantly snuffing the life out of her.

Gilgamesh… stood by studying his work.

“Truly a pity. At the very least, for you, I can at least allow your corpse to retain its beauty.”

With a snap of his fingers, the countless blades that had skewered Saber’s body vanished, along with the various wounds on her body. The only thing that remained was the stake piercing her throat, a calling card to prove to the non-believers that this was the work of Gilgamesh.

----------

Similar to Saber, Tohsaka Rin was also finding it difficult to fall asleep. No, considering the identity of the first victims, perhaps she too furious to fall asleep. Constantly thinking, trying to figure out the culprit, imagining all the things she would do to the mastermind once she got her hands on him. Not once in a hundred years did she imagine that instead, the mastermind would come to her instead.

A golden flash. The golden king. Before he could even take any actions, speak any words, spurred by rage Rin had already thrown all the gems she carried at him. But without magic, they were little more than harmless rocks. The stakes thrown back… were far from harmless. Gurgling blood, Rin slumped back into her bed, her throat pierced with a stake like Saber earlier.

----------

It was the following morning. Everybody assembled in the banquet hall for breakfast. However, no matter how long everyone waited, two people failed to show up. Feeling uneasy, the people agreed to split into two groups. Shirou, Lancer, Kotomine, Caster, and Ilya would go check on Saber, and Archer, Assassin, Kuzuki, Karen, and Bazett would go check on Rin.

The unease only grew as Archer’s group arrived at Rin’s room only to find yet another strange magic circle painted on the door. Trying to open it, they found the door locked, and proceeded to break the door down. Upon entering the room, their first thought was a sigh of relief. It looked as though Rin had merely overslept, lying in her bed with the sheets over her. Archer walked over to his master to shake her awake but as he lifted the sheets what he saw drained the color from his face.

Elsewhere in Saber’s room the exact same scene was playing.

Shirou felt like his legs lost all their strength. Slowly, his legs folded out from under him.

On the bed, resting so peacefully she looked like she was asleep was Saber. The only off thing was… the stake that had pierced her throat.

This time, neither of the two corpses was holding a thing. This was the first thing people checked once they got over the shock. However, a search by each of the respective groups found the keys to the room on top of their drawers.

In other words...

The keys for both Rin and Saber’s room were found on top of their respective drawers inside their room. It was… another impossible crime.

----------

This time there was no silent atmosphere. The air was tense with raw emotion and anger. Accusations, threats, barbed words were thrown back and forth as the remaining survivors began to turn upon themselves. Others believed it was the work of the unknown host and began begging for mercy. The infighting continued throughout the entire day and by the time evening came, everybody was exhausted. Each survivor, returned to their own room, keeping a paranoid eye over their back, locked the door for all the good it would do, and went to bed.

Such foolish mongrels deserved the fate that befell them. Gilgamesh and BB laughed as they spun the roulette. Round and round they go, who will live and who will die, nobody knows…. Only once the victims have been chosen, could the game continue. The air was thick with desire and anticipation. The show must go on.

The next morning, Shirou, Kotomine, Archer, Assassin, Kuzuki and Caren met in the hall. They were all restless, none of them had gotten particularly a restful evening. However, once again no matter how long they waited the rest of the group did not show up. As one group, they went first to Ilya’s room, the closest. Yet again they found an ominous magic circle. Trying to open the door, Shirou found it locked so together they broke down the door only to discover Ilya’s corpse, a spike in her throat. In her hands held a key. The Key to Caster’s room.

Running to Caster’s room, they found the pattern yet again and the door locked. Using the key to unlock it, they found Caster’s corpse with a spike in her throat and the key to Bazett’s room.

Bazzet’s room had the pattern once again and a locked door. Using the key to unlock it, they found her corpse with a spike in her throat and the key to Lancer’s room.

Lancer’s room as they guessed also had the pattern and a locked door. Using the key to unlock it they found that he was dead with a spike in his throat and the key to Ilya’s room.

----------

“”And with that we’ve reached the end of the show.””

The king and the devil smiled as they took their bows.

““Still, even though the story has ended, the game has only just begun.””

- - - Updated - - -

So for certain reasons I tried making some kind of Fate/Umineko oneshot/game. Anyway if you’re unfamiliar with Umineko the gist of it is actually pretty simple. The goal of the players is to try to solve the various ‘mysteries’ via mundane/non-magical means. This is the ‘Blue Truth’ or basically theories that would explain the mysteries. An example would be like ‘An extra person X secretly followed the rest of the group into the mansion and was responsible for the murders’ This will be responded to with a statement known as the ‘Red Truth’. Think of Red Truths as statements of absolute truth. For example: ‘From the beginning of the arrival to the time of the discovery of the final murder, only the fourteen visitors had entered the mansion at any point.’ This denies the Blue Truth, shutting it down and forces the player side to come up with another Blue Truth.

Assuming enough people respond, I’m going to set a tentative twelve day time limit on solving this game. On the first three days I will respond the the four most popular Blue Truths. The next three days I will respond to the five most popular Blue Truths, then six most popular Blue Truths and seven most popular Blue Truths for each of the final three days. This gives a potential of sixty six blue truths to use to pierce this mystery. (If not enough people respond I’ll just wing it or something, and if nobody is interested I guess that’s that XD)

(Thanks to Satehi for helping me test this gameboard)

Red Truths

General Red Truths

Only fourteen humans exist within this mansion/compound. A fifteen person does not exist.

The only entrances into and out of the room is either via the door or the windows. No hidden passages exist in the guestrooms.

Of course, as long as the entrances are closed it is impossible for objects to pass into or out of the room.

Each room only has one key. This is the only key that can open that room. No copies of any keys exist. No master keys exist.

The only way to lock the doors from the outside is with the usage of their keys. No other method exists to lock the door from the outside.

Servants and Heroic Spirits are considered as humans.

The windows in the rooms were closed when the Survivors first enter each room. And the same rule applies for doors in that objects can't pass through as long as they are closed.

​There are no mechanisms or traps that exist in the guest rooms that are capable of murder.

Of course one can lock the doors from inside the room without the usage of a key.

The same applies to the windows! In fact, they can only be locked from the inside.

Apart from the windows that Rin destroyed, no other windows have been destroyed at any point. Furthermore, all the windows in Rider's room were locked as well as closed when they first entered it, prior to Rin destroying the windows. In other words it is not possible for the killer to have locked the window from the outside of the room.

It is only possible to enter or exit a window when it is open. A window can only be open when it's unlocked.

I'll also summarize an extra thing. Once a room is 'locked', the only ones capable of unlocking it are living humans already inside the room, or someone who possess the key to that specific room.

No room doors possess an auto-lock feature. In other words, doors can only be locked or unlocked when they are closed. Or to get more to the point, it's impossible to lock the door and then close it!

Once a person has locked themselves in their room, it is not possible for someone outside the room to enter the room unless they possess a room key or break the door down. However, once a door has been broken door it is permanently destroyed with no way to repair it. It is also not possible to hide this destruction.

All class skills and personal skills fall under the domain of magic. In other words Lancer does not posses battle continuation.

The windows in the second and third round victim's rooms were both closed and locked.

Ventilation ducts do not count as secret passages. The methods with which to enter a room is via the doors or windows. No other passage X exists.

The key Sakura was holding was certainly Rider's key. Furthermore I'll guarantee it. The key found in Rin's room is the key to Rin's room. The key found in Saber's room is the key the Saber's room. and the Key found in Ilya's room is the key to Caster's room.

Other than the windows that Rin destroyed, none of the other windows have been destroyed. The window that Rin destroyed was only destroyed after the crime scene and key had been discovered. In fact, no object passed through the window that Rin destroyed after she destroyed it.

All wounds are fatal wounds. No nonfatal wounds were inflicted at any point during the game.

Acknowledged. No living human or corpse can be hidden in a room and remain undiscovered by living humans in that room.

Acknowledged. Once summon suffers a fatal wound, any followup action whatsoever is impossible. This includes locking or unlocking any doors or windows.

Acknowledged. Ilya did not aid the first twilight either intentionally or accidentally.

I feel like this is covered by the first truth but sure. Acknowledged. A person or corpse cannot remain hidden in any room when survivors investigate it.

First Twilight
    Both the corpses of Sakura and Rider were holding the room keys in their hands when the survivors opened the door.

Sakura and Rider both had their keys when they were attacked.

Prior to entry into both Sakura and Rider's room, those rooms contained no living humans.

Sakura had Sakura's key at the time of her murder, and Rider had Rider's key at the time of her murder. Of course, another key word here is murder. In other words, this was a homicide and not a suicide!

Neither Sakura or Rider were accomplices in their own murders.

"The windows in both Rider and Sakura's room were closed and locked when their deaths were discovered."

The room Sakura was discovered in was her true guestroom. Ilya was not complicit in the murders of the first twilight.

No hidden compartments or hiding places exist in any of the rooms. Furthermore, for the first twilight, once the survivors exited Sakura's room to head to Rider's room, not a single living person entered or exited Sakura's room.

Acknowledged. At the time of death, Sakura possessed the key to her own room, and Rider possessed the key to her own room.

'Second Twilight

Rin and Saber were unharmed when they went to their rooms for the night and locked the door.

The last people to touch keys found on the drawers were Rin and Saber respectively! In other words, from the time they entered their room to the time to murder was discovered, nobody else was able to touched those keys!

I'll slice this apart with the red! The moment the door to each room was opened, both Rin and Saber were already dead! In other words it is impossible for Archer and Shirou to murder them under the guise of waking them up. Furthermore there was no shady drugs used in the "cooking contest" used between Shirou and Archer.

'Third Twilight
    Nobody in the third round of locked rooms locked their doors after suffering a fatal wound. After all once a fatal wound is inflicted, their life is extinguished. There is no time to perform such complex actions as fiddling with the door.

All four corpses in the third round were killed by another person. There were no suicides and definitely four kills.

Each of the murder victims who fell on the third twilight had the key to the next room in their possession.

Ilya's room was locked before it was opened in the morning.

Each of the victims had the key to the next room in their possession at the time their bodies were discovered.

Each of the victims' rooms were locked before they were opened in the morning.

Last edited by Tangerang; October 1st, 2018 at 11:02 PM.
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, interesting. Gilgamesh is grotesquely OOC in this (he's not the type to kill indiscriminately and I doubt he'd ever willingly cooperate with someone like BB), but given the setup I presume that's intentional.

Also, how is a detective mystery supposed to work when you show us the murderers right off the bat? Through third-person narration too, so you can't even pull any unreliable narrator shenanigans to argue what the characters saw wasn't what actually happened. I'm not super familiar with Umineko, but from what I understand the whole gameboard conceit was a way to resolve that by distancing the supernatural stuff on-screen from what "really" happened.

As far as I can see there's nothing like that here, so I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to work. Are we just supposed to accept that any scene of magic/murders is in-universe theorizing rather than literally true?

Blog Entries
    Remember that time gil came up with a plan to indiscriminately kill like six billion people

pepperidge farm remembers
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Remember that time gil came up with a plan to indiscriminately kill like six billion people

pepperidge farm remembers
    Technically that wasn't killing indiscriminately, since the whole point was that the people strong enough to survive Angra Mainyu's curse would be worthy of being ruled by him. But I get your point.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Gilgamesh is grotesquely OOC in this (he's not the type to kill indiscriminately and I doubt he'd ever willingly cooperate with someone like BB), but given the setup I presume that's intentional.

Also, how is a detective mystery supposed to work when you show us the murderers right off the bat? Through third-person narration too, so you can't even pull any unreliable narrator shenanigans to argue what the characters saw wasn't what actually happened. I'm not super familiar with Umineko, but from what I understand the whole gameboard conceit was a way to resolve that by distancing the supernatural stuff on-screen from what "really" happened.

As far as I can see there's nothing like that here, so I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to work. Are we just supposed to accept that any scene of magic/murders is in-universe theorizing rather than literally true?
    The way it works in Umineko is like this. Witches get power from belief. Umineko is a story about a witch that creates an impossible murder scenario that can only be done via supernatural means that then proves that witches are real because it's the only explanation for what happened. The other characters try to fight her by proving that the murder could have been done through mundane means, and thus it is no longer magic. The witch tries to counter their theories and shoot them down, and they get into logic battles like an Ace Attorney or Dangan Ronpa game.

They do this by constructing theories on what happened, which when presented with enough evidence become "blue truths," essentially valid theories. Science in general is the practice of creating blue truths, by this definition. Blue truths can get countered by Red Truths, which are statements from the actual witch or "gamemaster" that knows all of the behind-the-scenes facts. Red Truths, being basically "word of god," are uncontestable, but the very fact that you get an actual true piece of information to work with can help you assemble the real situation. The more Red Truths you can get, the less wiggle room the witch has to weasel out of the scenario.

After all, when everything is shrouded in mystery, like a shrodingers cat situation, the murder could have been done by any means. But the more you begin to pin down facts about it and define it, the less variable it can be, and you can show what "really happened."

Was what we saw in the narration what really happened? Only if magic is real... but that's only if there's no other way to explain it...
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Anyway, I'm game for playing.

Question, tang: do we get to ask clarifying questions or do we just have to shoot for the moon with our theories and see what Red Truth we can squeeze out?
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Well if there was a lot of people i would say like feel free to ask for clarifying reds (repeat it etc) if you wanted but i would only be required to respond to the blue truths per day. As it currently stands however i think I'll just set it as a 1v1 traditional umineko showdown and ppl can msg me or post here and we'll see if we can figure out a good time for the duel
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    The way it works in Umineko is like this. Witches get power from belief. Umineko is a story about a witch that creates an impossible murder scenario that can only be done via supernatural means that then proves that witches are real because it's the only explanation for what happened. The other characters try to fight her by proving that the murder could have been done through mundane means, and thus it is no longer magic. The witch tries to counter their theories and shoot them down, and they get into logic battles like an Ace Attorney or Dangan Ronpa game.

They do this by constructing theories on what happened, which when presented with enough evidence become "blue truths," essentially valid theories. Science in general is the practice of creating blue truths, by this definition. Blue truths can get countered by Red Truths, which are statements from the actual witch or "gamemaster" that knows all of the behind-the-scenes facts. Red Truths, being basically "word of god," are uncontestable, but the very fact that you get an actual true piece of information to work with can help you assemble the real situation. The more Red Truths you can get, the less wiggle room the witch has to weasel out of the scenario.

After all, when everything is shrouded in mystery, like a shrodingers cat situation, the murder could have been done by any means. But the more you begin to pin down facts about it and define it, the less variable it can be, and you can show what "really happened."

Was what we saw in the narration what really happened? Only if magic is real... but that's only if there's no other way to explain it...
    Ah, I get it now. Thanks for clarifying, MaC. I still think things are moving a bit too fast (after all, Umineko didn't show any unambiguous supernatural events from a viewpoint character's perspective until the end of the first twilight), but that's probably inevitable for a oneshot. In that case, I'll be signing up as well.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Err... Do we do it like this?

An extra person X was on the island and was responsible for the murders. Whether that person arrived before or after the rest of the group at the mansion is inconsequential.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Oh boy it's been a while since Umineko. Well, let's try it like this. First lets' get the the usual "what ifs" out of the way. Please excuse, I may have forgotten the blue truth etiquette somewhat.

The doors may not have been the only ways into the locked rooms; the windows could have served as ways to get in and out. There may also be secret passages into rooms that accomplish this same function.

The opening of the doors is wide enough that a key could conceivably be slid underneath. With some string hooked up to a dead person's hand, this allows for keys to be planted on corpses from outside the locked rooms.

The victims were killed from outside the locked doors, perhaps through a keyhole or the opening under the door.

There exists a master key that can open and lock any door. The killer possesses this key and used it to fabricate the puzzles.

The locking mechanisms are such that doors can be locked whilst ajar, and the locking will only take place after the door has been closed. Therefore, the assailant(s) could have just moved the corpses to their respective rooms, planted the keys on their bodies, and closed the locked doors afterwards to simulate a locked room.

And now actual propositions:

There is no proof that Rin and Saber were killed instantly. Therefore, they could've been fatally wounded with the doors open, retreated into their respective rooms, locked their doors to prevent the assailant from pursuing, and subsequently died. Thus, their murders are not impossible.

In regards to Sakura and Rider's murders, it was Caren who first pointed out that the key to Rider's room in Sakura's hands. In fact, Caren had the key on her person and merely planted it on Sakura's body under the guise of a prayer and examination.

The above truth also applies for Kotomine and the key to Sakura's room on Rider's body. Neither murder is therefore impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

The last 4 person locked room puzzle and the first 2 person puzzle are very similar, so solving one probably solves the others. I suspect Battle Continuation may also be involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh right, repeat it.

"Repeat it in red: The individual room keys are the only keys that can lock and unlock their respective doors! No other way to unlock or lock those doors exists!"

Hmmm... I'll wait a bit before responding with the Red Truth in case a few more Blue Truths come up but I'll switch up the rules a little. Instead of only replying to the 4 most popular Blue Truths each day, I'll reply to two Blue Truths per person per day. That should increase the number of blue truths while keeping things manageable, and maybe encourage some teamplay.

Honk

Blog Entries
    Let's get an obvious possibility out of the way first.

A fifteenth inhabitant had been hiding in the mansion since before the protagonists arrived and was responsible for the murders.

Well okay, I've waited long enough, that seems to be all there will be for today.

Spoiler:

With that out of the way, let's officially begin the second half this game.

Now first thing's first. Here's a red truth that should take care of those pesky '15th person x' blue truths.

Only fourteen humans exist within this mansion/compound. A fifteen person does not exist.

Next I know I said only two blue truths for person, but I'll let it slide for this first day. Just for you.

The only entrances into and out of the room is either via the door or the windows. No hidden passages exist in the guestrooms.

Of course, as long as the entrances are closed it is impossible for objects to pass into or out of the room.

Each room only has one key. This is the only key that can open that room. No copies of any keys exist. No master keys exist.

Now, onto your 'actual propositions', so to speak.

Rin and Saber were unharmed when they went to their rooms for the night and locked the door.

Both the corpses of Sakura and Rider were holding the room keys in their hands when the survivors opened the door.

And for your last request, I feel like some of the previous red truths have covered it but consider this an extra freebie from me.

The only way to lock the doors from the outside is with the usage of their keys. No other method exists to lock the door from the outside.

Honk

Blog Entries
    Regarding the first red truth, does a Heroic Spirit count as a human?

- - - Updated - - -

To put it in blue- The definition of 'human' includes only living humans and not Heroic Spirits. Thus, there still could've been an additional Heroic Spirit in the mansion that committed the murders.

Here's another freebie so that won't count towards your blue truth limit for the day.

Servants and Heroic Spirits are considered as humans.

Honk

Blog Entries
    Another obvious possibility that will almost certainly be shot down- The murderer entered and exited the guestrooms through the windows, bypassing the locked doors.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    1. This'll likely be another formality, but we've got time and it's best to get all the angles down first: "The murders were carried out not by a culprit, but by a mechanism or trap hidden in the rooms."

2. Your red truth only mentioned locking a door from the outside. Therefore: "It's possible to lock and unlock doors from inside the rooms without the use of a key."

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Oh, I'm game!
    Question: one thing which hamstrings Battler in "Umineko" is that he wants to disprove Beatrice's magic while also proving every one of his family and the servants is innocent. Are we also similarly impaired?

Anyway, let me try my two blue truths for today:

Sakura was wrong about the location of the fourteen visitors.

Neither Sakura nor Rider were in possession of their room keys as they were being attacked.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    1. This'll likely be another formality, but we've got time and it's best to get all the angles down first: "The murders were carried out not by a culprit, but by a mechanism or trap hidden in the rooms."
    Good one. I was thinking of bringing up the same thing, since I remember a setup like that in the murder mystery episode of Bungou Stray Dogs.

Spoiler:

Another day, another set of truths to cut down. Are you all getting warmed up still? That's fine, just take it nice and slow, you still have plenty of time after all...

The windows in the rooms were closed when the Survivors first enter each room. And the same rule applies for doors in that objects can't pass through as long as they are closed.

Next,

​There are no mechanisms or traps that exist in the guest rooms that are capable of murder.

Your next blue truth isn't really a complete one since it's not really explicitly explaining one of the closed room murder mysteries but I understand what you meant. In that case I'll acknowledge it

Of course one can lock the doors from inside the room without the usage of a key.

And here's a freebie

The same applies to the windows! In fact, they can only be locked from the inside.

And then there were two. They both have the same issue in that they're not really complete blue truths either... Hmm, how to cut these down... Let's see... Let's start with this.

Sakura and Rider both had their keys when they were attacked.

As for the final one, I won't respond to yet. I don't see how it answers any of the closed room murder mysteries. Furthermore, how can Sakura know? She's just a powerless human not even currently capable of magecraft, not some sort of all-seeing goddess. She can only say what she believes to be true, but belief isn't enough for a red truth. For now.

Honk