Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] PS2 Translation Insertion Project *WIP*

Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] PS2 Translation Insertion Project *WIP*

Ok this is going to be an extremely lazy post at the beginning and I will edit it later but I have put this off for too long!

Any potential spoilers are placed in spoiler tags

Features:
    Re-designed font system
    Word-wrapping routine to wrap the text in-game written in c and injected into the main game executable.
    'English' button mapping (x is enter instead of o)
    Fully translated menus

The project is currently under testing to work out minor word-wrapping and alignment issues as well as to work out some crashes due to incorrect script conversion. The PC RN scripts were directly converted to the format the PS2 uses by utilizing the longest, most inefficient spaghetti code of a python script that hopefully never sees the light of day.

Menu Example: (It's a bit rough, limited to 16 colors) *Also lost the alpha channel because I was a n00b when I did this menu*

Font Redesign and Word-Wrapping Example

Translated Images: (Some from Mirror Moon and some from the PC RN version)
    Spoiler:

And here is a picture of what it looks like on my tv from my ps2 with component cables at 480p

I do plan to eventually get it working on the ps4 via the PS2 Classics emulator. However it is suffering major graphical glitches atm and would require a decent amount of work. The glitches are mainly due to the emulator not handling portions of the draw environment correctly.

Work has slowed down due to my course load. The final route is still in testing and may take another month or two to finish as I only have time on some weekends. My total playtime logged for testing is a little over 3 days and 9 hours. It does need to be thoroughly tested though because every time a patch is released users will have to re-burn an iso if playing on the ps2 without a hard drive.

Credits will of course be listed in a release thread when the time comes or when I edit *WIP* out of the thread and make a release.
    Last edited by TheUnknownIdentity; October 15th, 2018 at 01:07 PM.

So as i pray... Unlimited Bug Works! Kariya's Avatar
    Nice thread and great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Kariya View Post
    Nice thread and great work!
    If you have anything to add to it let me know and I'll edit it.

So as i pray... Unlimited Bug Works! Kariya's Avatar
    Yes, at the moment not, but if i realized something i'll tell you.

Good stuff, can't wait until its ready!

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    I just had an absolutely silly idea: what's the possibility of utilizing higher-resolution artwork?

I'm just thinking that maybe this English translation of the PS2 version could be used as a sort of better cross-platform version of the sub-optimal VNDS conversion via the use of PS2 emulators, and such emulators typically have the ability to render at higher resolution and therefore could hypothetically allow the use of higher-resolution art assets (I know there are cases of Wii games that used textures and/or HUD elements that were essentially higher-resolution than can be rendered natively by a Wii itself and could only be appreciated via the likes of Dolphin).
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
    I just had an absolutely silly idea: what's the possibility of utilizing higher-resolution artwork?

I'm just thinking that maybe this English translation of the PS2 version could be used as a sort of better cross-platform version of the sub-optimal VNDS conversion via the use of PS2 emulators, and such emulators typically have the ability to render at higher resolution and therefore could hypothetically allow the use of higher-resolution art assets (I know there are cases of Wii games that used textures and/or HUD elements that were essentially higher-resolution than can be rendered natively by a Wii itself and could only be appreciated via the likes of Dolphin).
    Oh it absolutely can be done, however I don't recommend using a PS2 emulator at all. While I have a lot of respect for the pcsx2 team and feel they are doing an excellent job with what they have to work with, the PS2 is actually very difficult to emulate. It is just such a customized piece of hardware.
    The PS2 itself is actually capable or rendering HD images at 720p and 1080i. The only drawback if this is it is output through analog component so it is succeptable to noise. The output color depth must also be changed from 24 to 16 bit to compensate for the lack of vram. (Ask the gsKit devs how they managed this with only 4Mb of VRAM)
    If there would any console version of the game with he resolution textures it would be if I either get the PS2 classic working in the PS4 or do a remaster project on the PS4 but I'm probably just dreaming here.

As far as cross platform, are there problems with kirikiri? I know there is a homebrew port of either the game or the demo of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia to the Nintendo DS, it can be found of the VNDB site. Also I unfortunately don't know what VNDS is so I feel that I'm not completely answering what you have asked.
    Last edited by TheUnknownIdentity; October 3rd, 2018 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonamous View Post
    While I have a lot of respect for the pcsx2 team and feel they are doing an excellent job with what they have to work with, the PS2 is actually very difficult to emulate. It is just such a customized piece of hardware.
    Hah, maybe I should have also said that emulation is one of my most knowledgeable subjects (it's up there with audio and computer hardware).

Anyway, I actually ran PS2 Realta Nua in PCSX2 like 5 or so year ago, and it also isn't the only PS2 emulation around anymore - there's also Play!

As far as cross platform, are there problems with kirikiri?
    It's highly optimized for Windows, 'nuff said.

I know there is a homebrew port of either the game or the demo of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia to the Nintendo DS
    Yup, I read through that port many years ago.

I unfortunately don't know what VNDS is so I feel that I'm not completely answering what you have asked.
    IIRC I think it's a port of P/O/Nscripter to the DS, but it itself also has ports to other platforms like Android. So while there's quite a few ports to it and stuff, it means that you're limited to the same thing that P/O/Nscripter can do and therefore it almost always lacks the various visual effects and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
    Hah, maybe I should have also said that emulation is one of my most knowledgeable subjects (it's up there with audio and computer hardware).

Anyway, I actually ran PS2 Realta Nua in PCSX2 like 5 or so year ago, and it also isn't the only PS2 emulation around anymore - there's also Play!

It's highly optimized for Windows, 'nuff said.

Yup, I read through that port many years ago.

IIRC I think it's a port of P/O/Nscripter to the DS, but it itself also has ports to other platforms like Android. So while there's quite a few ports to it and stuff, it means that you're limited to the same thing that P/O/Nscripter can do and therefore it almost always lacks the various visual effects and stuff.

Also I ran some test with some of the images using gsKit. Unfortunately when I try to use an image from the android version I reach the VRAM limit. In order to get them o fit I would have to convert the color depth to 16 bit BEFORE uploading it to VRAM and that just isn't going to fly. It can be done on pcsx2 or on other emulators because they have an option to ignore the vram limit but IMO if you're going to use an emulator to play it on pc then just buy the pc version.

On the other hand, if you can tell from the pictures running it in 480p on a tv set to 480p does look very nice. I believe the reason it looks bad on pc when set to full screen is because of the resolution differences and windows display scaling but thats an argument for another time.

Also the frame rate is so low it's not even playable on Play!
    Last edited by TheUnknownIdentity; October 19th, 2018 at 07:35 PM.

Just a small update. I realized that I can find and hook the decompressing function that the game uses for the archives. If I do this I can run it on a file stored anywhere on the disk to decompress a program and load it into memory. I ran a test and decompressed my word-wrapping program that I am currently injecting into the main executable and mf-pack compressed it by 63%.

For anyone wondering currently I could only inject up to 3824 bytes of code into the main executable. Which the hooks would definitely fit in. If I remove images that I know are not used in the game I can free up Mb of space to store a program on the disk in. The only thing that would limit me now, assuming this works out, is the amount of memory space I have available to load the code into.
    Last edited by TheUnknownIdentity; December 2nd, 2018 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd

US Friend Code
    how's it going?

He's probably busy with higher education now.

I'm thinking about going about this using a different method (porting Kirikiri Z to the Playstation 2), but toolchain support isn't there yet.

I've contemplated for sometime putting it out as is. It is fully functional with some minor things un-translated. I just never finished testing HF route.
    ~ "I have no idea what I'm doing, but at least I'm trying."

死者 Corpse
    Hi Anon,

I'm looking to start a complete play-through of this, I was going to do it on the PC version but if you need someone to play test this patch I would be happy to play on PS2 and see if I spot any issues. My PS2 can read burnt discs so testing on real hardware wouldn't be a problem for me. If you would like me to help \ test just let me know and also thanks for translating the PS2 version - this will let more people enjoy this great story!
    Last edited by Gnite-Productions; September 23rd, 2019 at 05:26 PM.

Is this project still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Faker View Post
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Faker View Post
    It is actually. I got some information regarding esr so I should be able to make it compatible. After that I'll probably just release it as is. Anything else is just patch work.
    ~ "I have no idea what I'm doing, but at least I'm trying."

Is the game translation still in progress? I also wanted to ask if you intend to put the characters' voices in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LoliBox View Post
    Is the game translation still in progress? I also wanted to ask if you intend to put the characters' voices in the game.
    ...the character voices are already in PS2 Realta Nua; in fact, the original non-Realta Nua PC English translation would rip the voices directly from the actual physical PS2 disc.

As for the translation, the only real benefit of this version is if you want to run it on a PS2 or PS3 - otherwise you can just use any other version of English Realta Nua (whether PC or iOS/Android - both of which are higher-resolution anyway).

So if I download the Fate RN iso from the PS2 can I download a PC Translation Patch and put it in the iso files and play good without any problem?