Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast

Thread: How did YOU get into Type-Moon?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    Archer is the Origin for GAR and is its defining impulse, this therefore proves that Ishkander is the exact opposite of GAR.
    How does it follow from Archer being GAR that Alexander is not?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Archer originated GAR with his fight with Berserker, an imposible fight in which he killed 5 times (yep, I'm using the anime, as it's the anime the source of the meme GAR, IIRC) before dying to save Rin, Saber and Shirou

Then we have Shirou, who sacrifices himself unleashing the GARm to destroy Berserker (the same guy who the "original" GAR couldn't defeat), that, in one bad end, was able to defeat the almighty Alter, and who was able to beat "bear hands" Kotomine in his own game (fighting with Bear Hands). And then punched C'thullu to the extinction using Excalibur, only to be nerfed by the author and changing that to "almost Excalibur but not quite Excalibur". Not to mention that Shirou defeated by himself the nearly invincible King of Heroes, was able to fend of Kuzuki in their first clash (something that not even Saber managed to do) and even convinced the loyal to a fault Cu Chulainn to help him just by being Shirou. And then he told Lancer to keep his hands away of his girl.

Besides that, Shirou is so GAR that even Archer is GAR for Shirou. UBW proved that.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

夜属 Nightkin
    Does this mean that GARness fades over time?

I wonder how GAR Shirou was as a kid...
    My contributions to the fanfiction melting pot:
    (not so) Shallow Shirou
    Shattered Heaven
    Shatteraxia - currently up to Part 18

The perils of being distracted by your coworker at the critical moment

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergast View Post
    Shirou, who sacrifices himself unleashing the GARm to destroy Berserker (the same guy who the "original" GAR couldn't defeat)
    1: He destroys himself to kill Berserker.
    2: He wouldn't even have managed to kill Berserker if Ilya hadn't come out.
    3: He was using an asspull move, whereas Archer was using his own techniques.

in one bad end, was able to defeat the almighty Alter
    Which he did with a technique from Archer.

and who was able to beat "bear hands" Kotomine in his own game (fighting with Bear Hands).
    Beat Kotomine? I think you've been playing the wrong game here.

was able to fend of Kuzuki in their first clash (something that not even Saber managed to do)
    Archer killed Kuzuki. Shirou just barely survived.

convinced the loyal to a fault Cu Chulainn to help him just by being Shirou.
    You mean the Lancer that was following orders to keep Rin alive? The Lancer that said he'd team up with them first?

How does it follow from Archer being GAR that Alexander is not?
    Because Iskander's death was a pointless heroic (which achieved absolutely nothing), whereas Archer was vital in all three routes.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It can be argued that since "GAR for Archer" originated from the anime, long before most people had even played a single route of the game, their impression of Archer was not entirely complete.

Blog Entries
    I should make one of those PW Fan-Trials using the topic of Archer's GAR.

I'd just have to copy-paste the text!
    <Spinach> Yes Verg
    <Spinach> I need this
    <Spinach> Yessss

<Satehi> don't do it malgos
    <Satehi> don't
    <Satehi> yamete

<@RacingeR> Laputa would only fit if it was Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    It can be argued that since "GAR for Archer" originated from the anime, long before most people had even played a single route of the game, their impression of Archer was not entirely complete.
    It was a pretty complete impression of him from Fate though.

He really is only going to act the way he did in Unlimited Blade Works because his younger self is there, that sounds like a rather unusual set of circumstances. And you are going to use it to judge the entirety of his behavioral repertoire from this instance.
    I imagine if you made an Archer play through in Fate/Extra (who indisputably always had his dialogue written by Nasu so inb4 Hyarion) he would act quite different without seeing the living breathing reminder of his eternal failure macking on his High school crush(es).

Blog Entries
    I imagine if you made an Archer play through in Fate/Extra (who indisputably always had his dialogue written by Nasu so inb4 Hyarion) he would act quite different without seeing the living breathing reminder of his eternal failure macking on his High school crush(es).
    He is still kind of a dick though.

"Oh, hey Master, you want to know my real name? Can't tell you that, it seems something went wrong with my summoning and I've got memory loss. Well, okay, not really, can't believe you bought that, actually I just don't see any benefit in telling you so calling me Archer will be fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    He is still kind of a dick though.

"Oh, hey Master, you want to know my real name? Can't tell you that, it seems something went wrong with my summoning and I've got memory loss. Well, okay, not really, can't believe you bought that, actually I just don't see any benefit in telling you so calling me Archer will be fine."
    To be fair he's right. I can't imagine any benefit from telling you. "I am Emiya Shirou...What do you mean you have no idea who the fuck I am?"
    The Hero Who Nobody Knows indeed.

If we are talking about his teasing and cynicism, not sure I would but him in the 'dick' category for weak stuff like that.

Blog Entries
    Nah, none of the Servants tell you their name at first, but Archer's the only one that feeds you a lie, then laughs at you for being a dumb asshole when you believe him.

Well, maybe that's not exactly how it happened.
    Last edited by Mcjon01; May 1st, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Counterguardian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Did Archer ever outright lie though?

In the second (or third, whatever) day when Rin asks Archer about his true identity, she phrased as "do you remember who you are? and do you remember your past?". To which Archer replies "no, my past is still hazy".

Which essentially ignores the first question and answers the second by way of "well, I can barely remember Kiritsugu's face so no I can't remember (all of) my past".

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Shirou levels up in badass. Therefore, Archer is at Shirou's ideal level of badass. Shirou's only GAR for a few moments in the entire game, Archer radiates it all the live-long day.
    Right, Archer who wants to kill his past-self because he regrets his choices? He was GAR when he was being Shirou again, when he realizes that the ideals that he upheld when he was still living were and still worth fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    1: He destroys himself to kill Berserker.
    2: He wouldn't even have managed to kill Berserker if Ilya hadn't come out.
    3: He was using an asspull move, whereas Archer was using his own techniques.

Which he did with a technique from Archer.
    Not his fault that Archer didn't use it in all the game.

Beat Kotomine? I think you've been playing the wrong game here.
    The one who stands at the end of the battle is the one who wins. I remember Shirou alive after Kotomine's death

Archer killed Kuzuki. Shirou just barely survived.
    Not reinforced Kuzuki doesn't count. Even Rin in a Melee combat would have win there (true, Rin with martial arts is very deadly, but not as deadly as Shirou with K&B)

Spoiler:
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

The one who stands at the end of the battle is the one who wins. I remember Shirou alive after Kotomine's death
    So GAR is being lucky, news to me.

Not reinforced Kuzuki doesn't count. Even Rin in a Melee combat would have win there (true, Rin with martial arts is very deadly, but not as deadly as Shirou with K&B)
    It clearly states that Kuzuki's punches would take off a human head, Archer just takes the hit and it nudges his head to the side a little.
    Assuming Rin and Shirou could beat Kuzuki it would probably be slim pickings seeing how he is a vastly superior fighter to both of them, being a trained assassin and all.

So GAR is being lucky, news to me.
    No, I'm saying that shirou won that battle because he was alive at the end, and undefeated. He was GAR enough to fight with his fist against an enemy that outclassed him in that type of combat in every stat except endurance

It clearly states that Kuzuki's punches would take off a human head, Archer just takes the hit and it nudges his head to the side a little.
    Assuming Rin and Shirou could beat Kuzuki it would probably be slim pickings seeing how he is a vastly superior fighter to both of them, being a trained assassin and all.
    Kuzuki reinforced by Medea, one of the most powerful spellcasters ever, is able to take off a human head punching. Not-reinforced Kuzuki is just a good, not great, good, martial artist, but not even on Taiga's level. Rin and Shirou would destroy him in one hit. Maybe two if they don't reinforce themselves.

Spoiler:

You forgot when he beat Kotomine in Fate route.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

No, I'm saying that shirou won that battle because he was alive at the end, and undefeated. He was GAR enough to fight with his fist against an enemy that outclassed him in that type of combat in every stat except endurance
    He was essentially dead had Kotomine not dropped dead of chance because of a heart attack, they make that quite clear.

Kuzuki reinforced by Medea, one of the most powerful spellcasters ever, is able to take off a human head punching. Not-reinforced Kuzuki is just a good, not great, good, martial artist, but not even on Taiga's level. Rin and Shirou would destroy him in one hit. Maybe two if they don't reinforce themselves.
    From the scene where Kuzuki dies:
    Any ordinary man would have his skull crushed, but Archer does not dodge it.
    His head moves from the impact.
    end quote
    Taiga wins because of EX luck.
    And as Kuzuki points out, even reinforced Rin is incapable of killing someone in one hit, which is why she sucks in his eyes. She would be better off using magic.

@Type
    Shirou had Avalon, and I can only assume Kotomine was in complete shock from witnessing someone that good at projection since he mumbles something about projection shades of Nrvnsqr who are you. So yeah that is impressive in its own right.

So? HFShirou has swords and far better physical stats.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    So? HFShirou has swords and far better physical stats.
    Now I just have no idea what you are talking about.

He was essentially dead had Kotomine not dropped dead of chance because of a heart attack, they make that quite clear.
    Quoting Alter saber in Sparks liner, he was alive at the end of the battle while his oponent was dead so he won.

From the scene where Kuzuki dies:
    Any ordinary man would have his skull crushed, but Archer does not dodge it.
    His head moves from the impact.
    end quote
    Taiga wins because of EX luck.
    And as Kuzuki points out, even reinforced Rin is incapable of killing someone in one hit, which is why she sucks in his eyes. She would be better off using magic.
    True, in the suicide attemp against Archer he was still reinforced, as his fist hadn't lost any strength yet (in Shirou's words). But at the moment Archer has still almost all his strenght and his Eye of the mind (true). Things like Kuzuki's snake fist doesn't work against Archer. And, as the novel states, no one can stand against a Servant just by being "superhuman". One must have a trumph card to do that. And Kuzuki, at that point, didn't have any trump card, just his body reinforced to superhuman levels.

As I said, a non reinforced Kuzuki isn't a match against a magus or even against Taiga (Taiga can fight as an equal against Ryougi shiki when it comes to skill, by the way, so no, she doesn't win because his "Lol, EX luck" that was, by the way, just a joke)

As for Rin... who said I wasn't talking about magic. The only thing I said was that they would destroy him in one hit... maybe two if they don't reinforce themselves. Also, Caster is still more resilient than a puny normal human by far. Servants are just that powerful.

@Type
    Shirou had Avalon, and I can only assume Kotomine was in complete shock from witnessing someone that good at projection since he mumbles something about projection shades of Nrvnsqr who are you. So yeah that is impressive in its own right.
    If a battle hardened executor can be surprised by his enemy, then he doesn't deserver to win. Shirou won that battle fair and straight, as Kotomine was using the grail to attack Shirou.

Spoiler: