Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouroboros: Shadows of Bahamut (OOC)

Blog Entries

Ouroboros: Shadows of Bahamut (OOC)

In the midst of a war between mages
    A single man's twisted prayers call forth the dragon
    As the beast's shadow is cast over the land
    Chaos prepares to consume the world

----------

The year is 2780. After the discovery of magic at the start of the 21st century, mankind has enjoyed a time of rapid growth and evolution. Though this prosperity has not come without its sacrifices and hardships, mankind is now enjoying its longest time of peace in its entire history. Unfortunately, like with all things, this time of peace must eventually come to an end.

In this RP, you will play as a member of one of three difference factions. Choose between the magic policing Scribes, the freedom advocating Resistance, or the wildcard Freelancers. Once you're set, take part in a story that spans the entire globe and determine the role you will play in deciding mankind's future. Gather allies and combat your enemies... or strike out completely on your own to leave your mark on the world. No matter what path you take, your decisions will determine the outcome of this story. And always remember, no matter how small your role may seem, even the slightest of pushes can have lasting effects.

----------

Welcome to Ouroboros: Shadows of Bahamut. For those of you who don't know, the original Ouroboros story and setting was crafted by Llednaroth (now affectionately referred to as Snax). It's a concept that has been revisited three times already and this will be the fourth (plz don't hurt me). Anyway, after having worked with Snax on the third iteration, I asked him a few months back if I could take the idea and place my own spin on it. And now, here we are.

Anyway, special thanks to Snax for the original concept, story, and notes. I'd also like to give a special thanks to Hero for letting me use his system as well as all previous Ouroboros players for the ideas they've contributed to the series.

With that out of the way, lets get on to the important stuff.

----------

Character creation will operate a little differently that previous versions of Ouroboros. As I'm sure you can guess, each of you will still choose whether you wish to be a part of the Scribes, the Resistance, or a Freelancer. However, in addition to picking a faction, players will also choose which type of character they will be playing. To elaborate, players will decide whether they wish to be a mage, a human, or a mutant- each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Between the factions and character types, each pc will play and operate differently than the next. So keep these factors in mind when formulating your sheet.

Character Creation
    Parameters
    350 points to distribute. Stats raise in rank every 10 points from F (10) to S (70). All parameters must have at least 10 points invested in them; however, beyond that, parameters don’t have to be increased in full increments of 10. Additionally, parameters that have a rank of S will provide the character with a special bonus unique to the parameter. Finally, all 350 points do not have to be used. Should the player choose, leftover points can be used to augment other parts of the sheet. However, to this end, no more than 100 points can be allocated to other parts of the sheet.

Strength: The physical power of your character. The higher it is, the harder you hit with physical attacks. Individuals with excessively high levels of strength also exude an aura of dominance and sometimes even charisma.

Speed: General agility, maneuverability, and reflexes. Not necessarily a measure of how fast you are, this stat gauges how nimble you are in battle.

Vitality: Health and durability. Represents how much punishment your character can take before giving in to trauma and the like. In short, this affects your defense and hitpoints. Also affects resilience against abnormal statuses and recovery rate.

Precision: Hit rate and accuracy. Plays a major part in determining your ability to land a hit, even when the target is moving at high speeds. Also slightly increases discovery of details both in and out of battle.

Range: The general effective range of your attacks and spells. While not particularly representative of all your abilities, it determines the maximum reach of your abilities. Outside of battle, it plays a key role in detection of allies and enemies.

Mana: A measure of your magical stores. Put simply, a high value in this stat equates to a large pool of MP. That being said... Higher values in this stat not only make you easier to detect, but can even provide those with proper investments to gauge your abilities before even meeting you.

Influence: Put simply, the strength of your magic. Powerful magic is not just determined by its raw power, but how deeply it can anchor itself into the logic of the existing world. Thus, strength of one’s own influence is key to producing strong magic. Furthermore, if one wishes to override another’s magic with their own, they will require an influence that is equal to or greater than the oppressor.

Technique: General competency and aptitude. Determines how refined a person’s abilities are and how skilled they are at their craft. While it does not compensate for raw ability, it determines how efficient a person is in battle. Also plays a minor role in the rate at which skills are learned and developed.

Character Types
    Magus: The predominant species in the setting. Users of magic and wielders of supernatural abilities. They are human beings who underwent adaptive mutation when mana particles began to saturate Earth’s atmosphere. As a result, not only are they capable of using magical equipment, they are also able to generate magic and supernatural abilities within their own bodies- completely independent of external catalyst. This does however give them a crippling weakness to Anti-Element. STR and VIT cap at B.

Human: A dying breed. People who are strictly referred to as “human” are incapable of generating magic without external means. In the presence of a mana rich atmosphere, their bodies have merely adapted enough to put up with the alien atmosphere. For this reason, mana does not augment their bodies like most others. STR, SPD, VIT, and MNA cannot exceed a value of C rank. They are however practically immune to the presence of Anti-Element.

Mutants: Also referred to as “demons” and “fiends”, mutants are individuals whose bodies have undergone more dramatic changes under the influence of mana. While some maintain a relatively human appearance, there are those who are commonly referred to as monsters based solely on their appearance. Their bodies are in a constant state of emitting Anti-Element (Void), making them unwelcome in modern civilization. Though they are incapable of using magic and magical weaponry, they possess a unique power dubbed Exist (EXS) that is just as powerful. MNA and RNG cap at B.

Factions
    Scribes
    Scribes are not allowed to have powerful magic; however, they make up for this by boasting the strongest EQs available. Aside from having access to level 3 EQs they also have access to Treasured Artifacts- powerful level 4 EQs that can't be obtained otherwise.

• Can have up to 3 personal spells. These spells cannot exceed rank 2.
    • Can possess up to 2 EQs. These EQs can goes up to rank 3 in power.
    • Access to the General Magic Device (GMD), allowing them to select two extra spells from an exclusive pool before a mission.
    • Have the option to take up Treasured Artifacts. These powerful EQs are extremely rare and (more often than not) exceed rank 3 EQs in power and ability. However, Treasured Artifacts require MP to use instead of having the standard cooldown system. Each character may only possess 1 Treasured Artifact
    • Able to utilize Variant Forms, also referred to as Variants. The Variant Form is an ability granted to equipment based EQs that allots it a single transformation to gain new abilities.

Resistance
    Members of resistance forces believe in the free use of spells and supernatural abilities. Separating themselves from the policing of magic, they have access to powerful skills. Even forbidden arts such as Summoning and Revision are things they've made their own.

• Can have up to 5 personal spells. These spells can go all the way up to level 5 in power.
    • Only have access to 1 EQ. These EQs can only go up to level 2 in power.
    • Allowed to use Summoning Magic. Summons are beings independent of the summoner with their own skills and abilities. Their power varies, but they seldom do not allot their master an advantage. However, the price of summoning is not free as any damage to the summon will also damage the summoner.
    • Has access to World Revision magic. Generally magic of the highest tier, this allows a mage to forcefully overwrite the world through forceful application of mana. It is extremely powerful and the effects vary from person to person. That being said, use of this dampens one's magical capacity- reducing MP cap with each use until adequate rest is achieved.

Freelancers
    The wildcards. Freelancers are those who chose to remain neutral- choosing neither the policing of magic nor the free use of it. They march to the rhythm of their own beat and go where their own motivations lead them.

• Can have up to 3 personal spells. These spells can go up to level 4 in power.
    • Have access to 1 EQ. This EQ can go up to level 2 in power.
    • Have the option of having either Summoning Magic or a Level 3 EQ.
    • Access to the Black Market. Granting access to information, weapons, and spells normally not available to others. This service comes at a nominal fee, naturally.

Equipment, Spells, Abilities, & Perks
    In addition to magical abilities, characters will have access to things such as Ethereal Qualities, Exist powers, and their own personal skills. Think carefully about all of these things as it will help shape your character's unique identity.

Magic & Spells
    Characters are allowed to have a number of personal spells determined by their faction and/or point investment. The world of magic in Ouroboros is vast and many different schools exist. Not only that, but magic is divided into several different ranks which determine both its cost and power. Just to give you a rough idea, here's a brief explanation.

Levels of magic

1. Basic, small-scale magic. Typically single target minor effects. Examples: Fireball, local minor buff. [Cost ~ 30 MP]
    2. Intermediate level magic. This category includes applying a basic effect to a wider area or slightly more advanced effects to a single target. For example, sword rain would be an example of a level 2 magic. [Cost ~ 50 MP]
    3. Advanced magic. Magic that creates more intricate effects and/or boast considerable raw power. Something like Kyouka Suigetsu would fall into this category. [Cost ~ 100 MP]
    4. Magic that is deemed extremely powerful and is typically placed under restrictions to prevent harm to others. Blockbusters and high phenomena belong to this category. [Cost ~ 200 MP]
    5. Magic of this level is considered Forbidden Magic. Spells of this level are generally seen as reality warping even if it’s merely a matter of raw power. [Cost ~ 500 MP]

In addition, here's a quick list of the different kinds of magic you can expect in Ouroboros. Please note that the type of magic can not only effect its use, but also its cost and overall power.

Types of Magic:

• Basic Thaumaturgy: The most common form of magic. Simply put, it is mana shaped into a desired effect. Simple and reliable, albeit not the most influential.
    • Runes: Primitive magic which binds magical effects to various symbols and glyphs. Rune magic is typically very weak; however, it is cost efficient and casts almost instantly.
    • Witchcraft: Commonly referred to as dark arts. Witchcraft is typically ritualistic magic which utilizes some kind of sacrifice or catalyst to create a desired effect. Exceedingly potent when it comes to things such as curses, hexes, and even blood magic.
    • Alchemy: The method of equivalent exchange. By using materials and a little knowledge, it is possible to create a desired result while being cheap on mana. That being said, because it’s rooted more in science rather than the supernatural, the potential of this school is extremely limited. Still, the fact that it’s rooted in reality makes it hard to dispel.
    • Holy Word: A method that gives form to spirits, guardians, and deities through uniform beliefs, devotion, and prayer. By taking these stories of divine beings, it is possible to both call upon their power and abilities to give rise to something greater than your own through prayer and faith. A slow, ritualistic magic. Very powerful.
    • Martial Magic: The path of qi, chakra, and one’s own strength. A type of magic which relies on the body’s strength and condition to generate supernatural effects. Notably versatile.
    • Onmyoudou: The study this world and its balance with the spiritual world. Typically used by exorcists and shamans. As a school it boasts strong wards, barriers, and the like. Particularly effective against summoning spells.

Ethereal Qualities (EQs)

Ethereal Qualities, also known as EQs, are powerful crystallizations of magic which border the likes of miracles. They comes in many shapes and forms, but they all share one thing in common. Each EQ is the manifestation of an idea, a purpose, or a goal- a weapon born from the imagination of man and given form.

In most cases, EQs take on the form of tangible items. However, there are cases where EQs have been known to take on incorporeal forms. Nevertheless, each EQ is unique to its owner. Even those that are passed down to others change to suit their masters. In the end, no magic user will wield the exact same weapon.

In game, the use of an EQ’s abilities is not reliant on MP (unless otherwise specified). Rather, the skills associated with an EQ operate on a cooldown- freeing up MP to be used for spells.

Exist (EXS)

Exist is a term used to refer to the power of Mutants. As the name implies, it is a type of power, ability, or atmosphere that the given mutant generates simply by being alive. Though at its core it shares many similarities to the idea of a EQ, it is different in that it is a part of a mutants being- capable of growing and developing just as they are.

However, great power comes at a heavy cost. With bodies that constantly produce Anti-Element, the use of Exist both isolates and brings ruin to mutant-kind.

In game, the use of EXS locks the character out of being able to use any EQs or spells. Instead, they have a single core ability and can create an additional use of this ability for every 10 points invested into Mana. These abilities will cost MP to activate, but will cost significantly less than a comparably ranked spell. However, indulgent use of EXS will eventually lead to abnormal status effects in time. So be warned.

Perks
    Last, but not least, each character will have their own personal perks aside from their gear and magic. By default, a player character has two perks. One major perk and one minor perk. The make and design of these perks is left up to you. Just keep in mind that the major perk will be stronger and the minor will be weaker. Though that should go without saying.

Over the next two weeks I'll be providing lore and maybe even a snippet or two to get you guys ready for the RP proper. As much as I would have loved to have this all prepared in one big, pretty rulebook for you, I just didn't have that kind of time. At the very least, I wanted to get this much up so that you guys can start thinking about stuff.

I'll update this opening post as we go along, but that's basically all for now. Sei is tired.

----------

Q: Why?
    A: Anime.

Q: How many slots are we looking at?
    A: Undecided.

Q: What's the start date?
    A: The 23rd at the earliest. Depends on work schedule.

Q: If I have a question how should I reach you?
    A: PM me here. If my box is full (very likely), post a smugface anime picture in this thread. I'll understand.

Q: Powerlevels?
    A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1JkNjowN_E (possibly)

"I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Woop.

I will find the POT stat and max it.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Blog Entries
    ban POT

Blog Entries
    In America we are slowly legalizing pot

I have never ouro’d before

im scared

hold me
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    In America we are slowly legalizing pot

I have never ouro’d before

im scared

hold me
    Protip: If you see a girl cosplaying as a sexy nun, grope her butt.

Blog Entries
    Any advice for the non ouro crowd trying to put to something together?

dont dump mana, spells should be more original then reinforcement, don’t try to create a character that is actually a sexually assaultive avian no matter how amusing you find the premise, etcetera
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries

dont dump mana, spells should be more original then reinforcement, don’t try to create a character that is actually a sexually assaultive avian no matter how amusing you find the premise, etcetera
    My best advice for now is to determine if you wanna be EQ focused or spell focused. Because those work so differently from each other, it'll probably be a big part in deciding which direction you take. Aside from that, maybe don't rely on raw stats. Stats are important, but a well-crafted skillset will far outweigh anything your stats will offer.

Like I said, I'll be filling you guys in on lore and stuff over the next couple of days so that might help you come up with something.

Anyway. I'm out for the night. Gotta get ready to be a work slave. I'd be back tomorrow to answer questions and whatnot.

Blog Entries
    Interesting ~
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LET'S DO THE OURO AGAINNNN
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm

I see, I see
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    While I was at work, it occured to me that I forgot to post the optional uses of stat points. So here.

Optional Point Usage:
    1 Extra Spell = 10 points
    1 Additional Minor Perk = 25 Points
    1 Additional Major Perk = 35 Points

1 Additional EQ (Rank 2) = 50 points
    1 Additional EQ (Rank 3) = 70 points

I'll toss it into the opening post in a sec.

Once I relax from this 12 hr workday, I'll start posting lore stuff.

Blog Entries
    My workweek just came to an end (hospital hours are weird ok) so my plan at the end of a long shift is drink a bunch of scotch then see if when I wake up I submitted a sheet.

Blog Entries
    The Discovery of Magic

In the year 2014, mankind made a startling discovery. Just nine miles off the coast of Britain, a team of researchers unearthed a golden ore that radiated a brilliant light. Fascinated by this find, the researchers took this strange stone back to their homeland and began performing tests on it. They wanted to know more... Many tests were conducted, but every single one told the team the same thing: this stone is unlike anything mankind has seen. Stumped, the researchers were prepared to throw in the towel. However, thanks in part to a last ditch effort to evoke a reaction from the rock, the researchers were finally greeted with a response. But it was far beyond anything they could’ve imagined. A phenomenon that could not be explained by conventional means. A phenomenon that could only be explained as magic.

Naturally, over the next several years, these researchers dedicated their all into unraveling the mysteries of this miraculous ore. They poured blood, sweat, and tears into this research... Making miniscule amounts of progress at a time. Nonetheless, progress was progress. And as their findings grew, so did their team. Eventually, their tireless efforts were rewarded. In September of 2088, the team was finally ready to stop working in secret. Having found a way to reliably harness this magical power, they set out to revolutionize the world as we knew it. Magic went public.

Initially, the world thought the researchers to be mad. However, those who were able to witness the fruits of their labors first hand had little room to doubt that what they were saying was true. “Magic is real”. Investors, scientists, and supporters would steadily flock towards this discovery- captivated by the potential it promised. From there, the idea of magic slowly made its way worldwide and find itself slowly being integrated into various fields. Technology, medicine, agriculture, even weaponry… Anything this miracle power touched was invigorated with new life and possibilities. So much in fact that, by the end of the 23rd century, magic was completely integrated into mankind’s daily lives.

Humanity entered a prosperous age. Though this prosperity required a constant supply golden ore that made it all possible. Thus mankind mined it tirelessly. They mined the earth, the mountains, and even the ocean floor. And they would continue to mine until they would unearth something that wasn’t the precious ore. What they would find...is a massive sleeping dragon that would soon plunge the world into darkness.

Next: The Hundred Year Chaos

Blog Entries
    The Hundred Year Chaos

The massive black dragon arose from the depths. With a single stir, it riddled the planet with severe earthquakes. With its rise, volcanos and mountains alike erupted- blocking out the sky with ash and dirt. With a single flap of its wings, storms were born that would plague the globe for days without rest. And finally, with a single roar, the warmth of the sun was taken away from the earth. Time stood still and the beast made its fury known.

In its rage, the dragon attacked anything and everything that stood in its way. Whether it be man, beast, or nature itself, nothing was spared. The dragon's violent rage shook the planet for two entire days. Many were injured, but even more were killed. However, that was merely the dragon's awakening. Not too long after its initial tantrum, the dragon seemingly made it a mission to fly around the globe and attack any location with high concentrations of magic. And when the mighty dragon struck, there would be nothing left but scorched earth to tell the tale.

Humanity was in utter turmoil. Not merely because of the destruction brought by the beast, but also because of the harsh conditions its wake forced upon the planet. But mankind's problems did not end there. Because, as the dragon flew across the globe, its body left behind countless black particles that saturated the air. People started to fall gravely ill merely due to the dragon's presence. And to make matters even worse, the magic that mankind had become so reliant on for food and medicine failed in the presence of this dark force. This Anti-Element- or Void, as some would come to call it- had rendered mana completely useless. For the first time since its introduction to society, magic had failed mankind.

As the human race continued its efforts to fight of extinction, the dragon would continue its rampage. Attacking city after city, only stopping to rest every couple of days. Meanwhile, people all over the globe continued to become ill and disfigured- unable to cope with the mana and anti-element wreaking havoc on their bodies. Many succumbed to this condition. And those who were miraculously able to adapt, were barely able to stay alive. Much less fight.

Civilization gradually unraveled. People became desperate. When they weren't busy fighting the dragon, they were fighting each other. Struggling just to survive. It was every man for themselves. A period of pure chaos. I dark spot in history that would span nearly a century.

However, just when all hope seemed lost, five beings wielding unimaginable power rose up to face the dragon. Completely unphased by the dragon's dark presence, they set forth without fear. Five heroes... Norn, Solo, Ozma, Creed, and their leader Ouroboros. The five heroes who would become known as the Eternals.

Next: To A Better World

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries

What about a sexually assaultive pteranodon?
    or was that what you were getting at to begin with?

- - - Updated - - -

Cygames Bahamut with Blazblue elements?
    Yup, gotta try out for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct me if I’m wrong; Exist basically is a sort of core magic unique to a specific mutant, and the player chooses one thing, and all their Exist abilities are supposed to be derivatives or reflections of that one thing?
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong; Exist basically is a sort of core magic unique to a specific mutant, and the player chooses one thing, and all their Exist abilities are supposed to be derivatives or reflections of that one thing?
    Correct. You select a core ability to serve as your Exist ability. Then you can add a derivative use for each rank in Mana. So F would give you the core ability + one alternate use. E would give you the core ability and 2 alternate uses. And so on.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like a really obtuse and restrictive method of creating abilities…

I love it!
    It’s like you made it specifically for me.

My Castlevania FC hunt has gotten me some interesting starting points too. No one will make a better mutant than I!

Except Bloble, but everyone knew that already.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

i will make something good. or bad. maybe both.
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Lord knows I am TEMPTED.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.