Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4912131415 LastLast

Thread: Could Sola-Ui have loved/fallen in love with Kayneth if the dude was less of an asshole from the start?

Blog Entries
    It’s all 魔 though and 魔 is a distortion in providence so no matter what inviting it into your life means forsaking normal happiness

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Get out of Mcjon Nasu

- - - Updated - - -

or while you're there tell us about those Servant alignments
    dartboard or roulette? Maybe a good old fashioned Patience?
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    I mean a magus is a person who does think that it is indeed, worth it. Super powers aside, it’s a way of life and a dedication that’s beyond most normal people.

If you want a cushy life just live as a normal person tbh..

for the idea of magus society bring full of explosions and people fucking themselves up? Well you have politicians like anywhere, and then you have people who just read books. Every once in a while someone thinks a larger scale experiment or ritual is worth it as a working model of their end goal, or as some big project they think is actually worthwhile. Sometimes that ends up a bullet in some people’s heads and other nasty things. But you also seem to think that they just go whatever and almost actively go for that?

Finally? I don’t understand why Kayneth’s response makes him automatically a bad teacher. Considering Waver’s thesis was drivel on a level where one should ask him if he is of clinically handicapped intelligence, or if he does indeed think his own farts smell like daisies.

Hint he was ridiculously full of himself.

There are other ways, some better perhaps. But in the end a stupid thing was called very stupid. There are many teachers who will definitely do that.Which was retaliated to with the theft of a very noteable artifact.Christ young Waver.
    A teacher is supposed to make said thing a teachable moment, not a humiliation moment. Besides, Kayneth did very little actual teaching in that moment or ever, much like other magi teachers before Waver. Also, how can you even make that judgement on Waver's thesis without ever getting too many details on it? In any case, based on his later skill in deducing the mechanics behind magic and mystery in general, I'd say he was sort of on to something, even if he was dead wrong that effort and training of one's circuits could ever allow him to catch up to the old families. Kayneth was right in that regard, and Waver acknowledged that.

Besides, before the incident, Waver was hinted at least to have respected Kayneth as a magus, so if Kayneth had made it a teachable moment, Waver may have begrudgingly listened.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yeah but Kirei was able to fuck a tree to death with nothing but a little Martial Arts Training.

Also I think he was talking about how you can be a Magic User rather then a Magus, because Magi are big smelly jerkfaces that bully Waver or something.
    That's precisely what I meant. If you just want superpowers, just become a spellcaster.
    Last edited by SirGauoftheSquareTable; September 22nd, 2018 at 11:50 AM.

US Friend Code
    Not really, you can’t become a spellcaster just because, you need to be born with circuits and even then the amount you have determines what you would be able to do. You can use Magecraft even if you don’t follow the Mages path, it even then it’s not something you can say you just want to become.

also Kirei’s stuff was also sometching he was born with in a way. His style of Bajiquan isn’t normal Bajiquan, it’s mage/heretical slaying Bajiquan, something you wouldn’t actually see normal practitioners doing unless there Martial art legends like Shuwen Li. All of that was something he could practice and refine thanks to you know being part of a secret branch of the church whose main job is being Monster slayers.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Not really, you can’t become a spellcaster just because, you need to be born with circuits and even then the amount you have determines what you would be able to do. You can use Magecraft even if you don’t follow the Mages path, it even then it’s not something you can say you just want to become.

also Kirei’s stuff was also sometching he was born with in a way. His style of Bajiquan isn’t normal Bajiquan, it’s mage/heretical slaying Bajiquan, something you wouldn’t actually see normal practitioners doing unless there Martial art legends like Shuwen Li. All of that was something he could practice and refine thanks to you know being part of a secret branch of the church whose main job is being Monster slayers.
    Well, yeah, I presupposed that statement with the assumption you were born with circuits and decided to use magecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Besides, Kayneth did very little actual teaching in that moment or ever, much like other magi teachers before Waver.
    What

Also, how can you even make that judgement on Waver's thesis without ever getting too many details on it?
    He did read it, which would be enough to see the overall idea of it. It's the same when you read any other paper, you skim first and only if it's gripping then do you read the full thing.

In any case, based on his later skill in deducing the mechanics behind magic and mystery in general, I'd say he was sort of on to something, even if he was dead wrong that effort and training of one's circuits could ever allow him to catch up to the old families. Kayneth was right in that regard, and Waver acknowledged that.
    He didn't acknowledge that. That's the entire point. Waver is so arrogant and insistent on his own way and ideas that he wouldn't have any of these traditions putting him down. Seriously, just read his parts in the first volume. The narrator is basically mocking him for how arrogant and blind he is.

Also, the stuff he does to find Caster's lair isn't some great genius thing he came up with because he's so talented. He literally says it's the most basic, and worst method there is. He had to do it the worst way because he can't do it any better. Because he's a shit mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    What

He did read it, which would be enough to see the overall idea of it. It's the same when you read any other paper, you skim first and only if it's gripping then do you read the full thing.

He didn't acknowledge that. That's the entire point. Waver is so arrogant and insistent on his own way and ideas that he wouldn't have any of these traditions putting him down. Seriously, just read his parts in the first volume. The narrator is basically mocking him for how arrogant and blind he is.

Also, the stuff he does to find Caster's lair isn't some great genius thing he came up with because he's so talented. He literally says it's the most basic, and worst method there is. He had to do it the worst way because he can't do it any better. Because he's a shit mage.
    I was talking about Menwearpink, not Kayneth.

I meant Waver acknowledged it later, once he got older and wiser. Seriously, fucking context man.

Also, while it wasn't some great genius thing to do, as Iskandar himself said, there's no reason not to be proud of it because sometimes the simple ways are the best.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Satsuki went straight to DA despite the thousand to one chance purely on some vaguely defined affinity for vampirism.
    Satsuki's a psychic with the ability of "can become a really gud vampire"
    kind of like kurogiri's psychic ability in a way
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    I don’t have a problem with anyone disagreeing with it, but it’s getting off the wrong foot denouncing other cultures off as stupid just because it doesn’t make sense to you.
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

I meant Waver acknowledged it later, once he got older and wiser. Seriously, fucking context man.
    Yeah, but this is my problem with your take on Waver vs Kayneth as it appears right now. You're comparing a Waver who got to live on from the war, learn from his experiences there, grow up to become an adult (where when you go from adolescens to adulthood you could argue you develop and mature regardless) etc, to a Kayneth whose background you don't actually really know, who had everything, and I mean literally everything, taken from him during the HGW, and who died, not because of his own arrogance or attitude, but because he was targeted specifically by the one guy he couldn't possibly stand against, just because he was deemed that much of a threat. He died, and consequently didn't have a chance to learn from his experiences in the war, and never got to mature because of them.

Comparing adult Waver to HGW Kayneth is so weird because of this, because at the end of the war Waver was still very much an arrogant little shitty kid, and it took years for that to change into what he is like in Case Files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobin View Post
    I don’t have a problem with anyone disagreeing with it, but it’s getting off the wrong foot denouncing other cultures off as stupid just because it doesn’t make sense to you.
    "Magi culture" that is so much talked about is really only clocktower and clocktower affiliated places.
    For instance Atlas has a much more isolationist culture.
    Generally american magi are much more organisational.
    And there are even countries where people who have the potential to use magecraft are oppressed and used solely as soldiers.
    There are also the Japanese Demon Hunting Organization that empolyed magecraft as well.

Critiquing "magi culture" is the same as critiquing "European culture" and then saying it applies to everyone around the world
    Last edited by You; September 22nd, 2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

Blog Entries
    also they're not real. they are fictional characters. almost 300 replies deep in the thread, some people still don't get this. it doesn't matter if you think they're stupid or mean or whatever. they're not real people. you are not witness to their behaviour in any meaningful sense.

there is text. ask yourself what the text does. how it works. what its formal characteristics are. try to come up with an opinion on the text that doesn't reduce to "I didn't like it when X happened."
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Something something meaningful empathetic connections to characters is the essence of enjoying fiction something

Although I guess it would be better if the connection wasn't based on preconceived bias and misunderstanding, but

Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    Yeah, but this is my problem with your take on Waver vs Kayneth as it appears right now. You're comparing a Waver who got to live on from the war, learn from his experiences there, grow up to become an adult (where when you go from adolescens to adulthood you could argue you develop and mature regardless) etc, to a Kayneth whose background you don't actually really know, who had everything, and I mean literally everything, taken from him during the HGW, and who died, not because of his own arrogance or attitude, but because he was targeted specifically by the one guy he couldn't possibly stand against, just because he was deemed that much of a threat. He died, and consequently didn't have a chance to learn from his experiences in the war, and never got to mature because of them.

Comparing adult Waver to HGW Kayneth is so weird because of this, because at the end of the war Waver was still very much an arrogant little shitty kid, and it took years for that to change into what he is like in Case Files.
    Even Baby Waver had one trait Kayneth always lacked. An ability to grow. Beneath his bluster, it's clear he was aware of his own mediocrity, and the Grail War really hit that point home with him. Even midway through, you can see it, and he became much more open to suggestion and critique by Rider as he accepted that he was not prepared in the slightest. By the end, he's well on his way to becoming his adult self.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    "Magi culture" that is so much talked about is really only clocktower and clocktower affiliated places.
    For instance Atlas has a much more isolationist culture.
    Generally american magi are much more organisational.
    And there are even countries where people who have the potential to use magecraft are oppressed and used solely as soldiers.
    There are also the Japanese Demon Hunting Organization that empolyed magecraft as well.

Critiquing "magi culture" is the same as critiquing "European culture" and then saying it applies to everyone around the world
    All we really know of in great detail is European magi culture though, so I'm going off what we know. Atlas, I am honestly far more neutral towards mostly because they aren't as stuck up and hung over the Root as their Clocktower counterparts, and as for others, well...Besides, Demon Hunters aren't magi, are they? They're just magic users.

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    also they're not real. they are fictional characters. almost 300 replies deep in the thread, some people still don't get this. it doesn't matter if you think they're stupid or mean or whatever. they're not real people. you are not witness to their behaviour in any meaningful sense.

there is text. ask yourself what the text does. how it works. what its formal characteristics are. try to come up with an opinion on the text that doesn't reduce to "I didn't like it when X happened."
    We get this, we just choose to address it as it may apply to real life because text also has real, human dimensions by its very design, as that's how people get hooked in. If you really are advocating a purely formalist approach to reading text, then that's missing part of the point of reading. Reading, especially reading fiction, is also putting a part of yourself in the characters' shoes and trying to make sense of the setting and what not and how you can apply said lessons to your understanding of the world around you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Something something meaningful empathetic connections to characters is the essence of enjoying fiction something

Although I guess it would be better if the connection wasn't based on preconceived bias and misunderstanding, but
    So much this. Besides, my bias wasn't preconceived, it was post-conceived.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Kayneth showed an ability to grow too.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Kayneth showed an ability to grow too.
    When? At the end?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    When? At the end?
    He killed Risei
    Things had progressed to this point but he had only one… compared to the opponents who had not used their Command Seals, he was already in a disadvantaged position. And the Masters of Saber and Rider had already obtained new Command Seals; these circumstances definitely could not be ignored.

The assassination of the supervisor would undoubtedly cause a stir, but in this Heaven's Feel, there were magi other than himself who liked to use small props such as handguns. The primary suspect would thus be the filthy rat employed by the Einzberns.

Kayneth could not suppress the satisfied laugh that flooded forth from deep in his throat. He was immersed in the ecstasy of regaining his status as a Master. For the assassination of the supervisor, an action that made the dignity and pride of Lord El-Melloi plummet down to the floor, he had no intention of self-reproach.
    He grew in a bad way but that's still growth.

Also its kind of weird how it says that Waver and Kiritsugu got an extra command spell. Imma check if that's a typo

- - - Updated - - -

All we really know of in great detail is European magi culture though, so I'm going off what we know. Atlas, I am honestly far more neutral towards mostly because they aren't as stuck up and hung over the Root as their Clocktower counterparts, and as for others, well...Besides, Demon Hunters aren't magi, are they? They're just magic users.
    The fujou were shrine maidens and itako so they're probably more magi than mere magic users.
    They're magi in the same way you'd call a shaman more of a magus than a magic user.

JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    I think savepoints has the right idea. Kayneth is dead in the dirt and I don't understand where these immediate evaluations of his character inside and outside the context of F/Z is coming from besides bias since it's coming off as flanderizing some specific parts of his personality while conveniently ignoring the context. Even if your looking at him as a scumbag his actions have always made sense for himself, the circumstances, and the setting. It'd only seem illogical or disagreeable if you break the established continuity and make a suggestion that adheres to your own ideology to prove the point, which I don't think makes sense for the fictional universe that it should be taking place in.
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

"Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

I don't deny that there was an internal logic to his actions, I'm just deriding said logic. Besides, aren't we kind of meant to relate fictional ideologies to our own in order to comprehend/enjoy works of fiction?

JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    Well, basically put, I feel that much too much of it is being disregarded in respect to the work in question here. Much of the discussion then boils down to how you feel about the particular matter and that's something that might just not budged on.

"Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"