Page 114 of 618 FirstFirst ... 1464104109112113114115116119124164214614 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 12345

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Someone whose voice doesn't want to make me put a gun to my head and can actually sell her tragic back story.

Nero isn't deep voiced, so Atsuko Tanaka and Kikuko Inoue are right out, but anyone with range who isn't a chipmunk on helium should be able to pull it off. Megumi Han, maybe?
    With this blade I cut those who disrespect Cardcaptor Sakura

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Who is a good Nero?
    The one in melty blood was great
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Are you telling me Nero and Sakura sound the exact same? That can't be possible, I liked Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

Come to think of it, I only watched the dub for TRC. If Tange really used the same cadence and delivery for Sakura that she did Nero, that's a tragedy.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; November 9th, 2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    This sounds like a boring ‘hating what’s popular just because it is’ opinion. So I take it you like FGO for having the forementioned 100+ VAs you couldn’t possibly all know about then?
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Someone whose voice doesn't want to make me put a gun to my head and can actually sell her tragic back story.

Nero isn't deep voiced, so Atsuko Tanaka and Kikuko Inoue are right out, but anyone with range who isn't a chipmunk on helium should be able to pull it off. Megumi Han, maybe?
    I disagree, Nero's voice isn't the problem. It fit her fine in Extra. The problem is that Nero's characterisation in Extella and beyond has gone over-the-top bubbly all sunshine all the time, and while Tange pulls it off the reason it comes out as incongruous is a fault of the writing, not the acting.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    Are you telling me Nero and Sakura sound the exact same? That can't be possible, I liked Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

Come to think of it, I only watched the dub for TRC. If Tange really used the same cadence and delivery for Sakura that she did Nero, that's a tragedy.
    Wrong Sakura you CLAMP scrub

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    post vids for the unenlightened

- - - Updated - - -

Also the notion of Nero sounding like a 10-year-old is not a flattering one
    canon finish apo vol 3

This is the one voiced by Tange

- - - Updated - - -

And this is the one from Tsubasa Reservoire Chronicles, who, in typical CLAMP fashion, is essentially the exact same character except not really because parallel universes or something something else.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    That's an opening not the voice of the character you dolt, how does that help me

- - - Updated - - -

I read the CCS manga I just blanked on the age difference
    canon finish apo vol 3

What sudden and drastic change happened in TM, though? (Unless you're talking about anime, which had an even more gradual and well-charted shift from grimdark ultraviolence to moeblob)? Tsukihime had Santa Ciel telling you to stop being a NEET and be with your family. Fate had the aforementioned Cyborg Shirou (this one in the main story). HA has all sorts of hijinks mixed in with Angra Mainyu being Angra Mainyu. Even Zero has its funny moments. It's not like Extra came and turned everything into memes XD, the story has never taken itself 100% seriously. Anime rarely ever does, even all the way back; Berserk has Puck, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has Oberhauser and occasionally Yang (among others) being the comically serious, Utena has mind-swapping curry as one of its more normal episodes, etc.

I'd fight ten dudes for Chiwa Saito.
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And even to this day I haven't tried to play Melty Blood. Wish I could, but I have no idea where to find a bloody patch for the bloody Melty Blood.
    there's an english localization on steam
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

That's an opening not the voice of the character you dolt, how does that help me

- - - Updated - - -

I read the CCS manga I just blanked on the age difference
    I actually forgot the opening was sung by GUMI and not Tange herself, gomenasorry.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Winners stay winning, losers stay whining.
    The whole point of this thread is whining guiri!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    She's not even from an anime or manga. Until you played that eroge, knew the story, the character,...etc you have no basis to say anything other than you like or not like the artstyle. I hope you did not intent to say it in an attempt to provoke me tho, because it won't work, as 90% of ppl I knew including my friends don't like either lol, just like most of my friends HATED many Fate chars I like, it's natural. Heck I sometimes consider some of my tastes to e unpopular opinions.
    You know what I am referring to (basically, the time where "moe" did not exist or was very subdued/frowned upon. And no, I don't judge you for liking this, but I judge the general commanding heights of Japanese media for becoming more niche rather than more mainstream. That is another unpopular opinion.

After all, many remember Utena, Eva and DBZ, as well as Rayearth and Sailor Moon, but not many can identify a Japanese franchise that is rather new and has a fully Japanese name and has no stigma around it.

Essentially, anime lacks a modern mass marketable worldwide product. My Hero Academia and One Punch Man get close, but they don't count.

And ofc contrary to you who lives in the past and deny advancement, I embrace the good things coming from both the past and future. Speaking of which I also have problem with your avatar and sig, those are the artstyles I can never swallow. And guess what, it's also my personal taste. What style one prefer =/= the problem of modern anime and manga. Artists can draw whatever the fuck they want and the furthest you can go to say anything is like or not liking the art, that's it. Looking at only just the artstyle to decide problems of the entire manga, anime, game...etc is hilariously shallow.
    Dude, you're on a venting thread, vent on! That's why we have it. And no, I don't look at stuff and judge it by looks alone, but this is just an evident problem (moe, which is a precursor to the otaku stuff). So, no... I am not shallow...

So you hate changes, you hate new stuffs, you hate new styles. Then why are you still here in the modern era of Neo-TM, anime, manga? It's much better to just rewatch the old stuffs that you consider to be the best thing ever, replay the original FSN only and never play any other games. Why would you torture yourself by reading, watching, playing new shits and then cry about it? TM will never do what you want and write the edgy grimdark stories you dream, there's the fanfic forum if you want to try at that.
    Because I wasn't aware the old anime/VN and Apocrypha chapters I've yet to catch up on suddenly ceased to exist, as did similarly serious fan material. This is me venting out on the thread made to do so. Of course I can roast the general direction of the franchise. The thread reads "unpopular opinions on TM" not "TM echo chamber".

If you stopped here, then it's opinion. You don't like the artstyle that I like, fine, because I also don't like what you liked. You don't like the VAs that I like, also fine, because I might also don't like the VAs you like. We're cool about that. This is the topic of unpopular opinions duh. But you did not stop there. You continued to go beyond what I personally can agree with, that's why I replied.
    Do know anything mentioned besides hating X is probably just hyperbole to drive home how much I loathe something. This seems to be either culture (PC Culture) or language differences (In Spanish, it's not rare to hear people wishing death on others and for this to be brushed off as just saying you hate them).

Do you have proof of this accusation? Do you have proof that the VAs you mentioned and the JP ones are doing this horrible gutting talent thing? Or are you just pulling false accusations out of your ass? Do you know them personally, follow their social accounts...etc to know all of them are arrogant and attention whores?
    At least for the American ones? Yeah... Plenty...

You do realize that 3 of the JP VAs you mentioned already married, had children and still active in the industry right? They even help training new talents.

See, this kind of attitude, is the reason I replied. I don't give a shit about what you like or not, I respect that. But wishing the worst thing coming to others is the lowest of the low. It is because of ppl like you that we have cases like the ppl who bullied Boudica's artist. In fact, it's irony that you are acting like those extreme otaku. But hey, at least you did not personally hunt down their social media accounts and send them hatespeeches and death threats, so I really hope you won't go that far. Next time just say what you like/don't like, don't wish the worst things on other and I will not bother, that's all.
    Except I don't actually go burning houses or the like, but I think they are hogging the spotlight, getting way too many roles and letting this get over their heads. It's a bad sign when after 10 or so different anime series seen in a site, all of them have one of these artists. Roll back to 2005 and you will find that there could be a laundry list of series in your backlog and you'd see jack squat about the seiyuu/VA you like. Today? I can't find a single one where one of these isn't voicing an important role and that grinds me the wrong way. Again, cultural expectations. Around here, you overstay your welcome by being in more than three different shows on TV in any given year.

Also, I am not going to change the way I speak because people don't like it and I am not in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    You know there's like 100 Nasuverse VAs now thanks to GO right?
    Yes, and I have thankfully found some good ones... I still want a Sayaka Ohara voiced one that I genuinely like though.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    When was that? Even the early TM works juxtaposed extreme comedy with drama, and the two were often difficult to separate. Any grimdark TM is just a nostalgic fantasy of yours.
    I never said grimdark. Stop confusing grimdark and serious. I am not using your Japan/Geek centric methodology (and Western methodology can be applied to non Western works).

The Flash has plenty of comedy, but it takes itself seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Αre you talking shit about Ueda, Sawashiro and Saito in the SAME FUCKING SENTENCE

boi you must be tired o'life
    They are well below the standards of mighty Sayaka Ohara, Ami Koshimizu and Shizuka Ito...

They are trash by comparison.

I'd fight ten dudes for Chiwa Saito.
    I'd wave a flag from Teide Peak for Sayaka Ohara.

- - - Updated - - -

there's an english localization on steam
    No thank you. I'd rather be shot than use Steam.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bobin View Post
    This sounds like a boring ‘hating what’s popular just because it is’ opinion. So I take it you like FGO for having the forementioned 100+ VAs you couldn’t possibly all know about then?
    There are plenty I like, but I don't try my hand at it for more than the VAs and also because I simply don't want to risk having to hear their irritating maws make noise at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikewl View Post
    Wrong Sakura you CLAMP scrub
    CLAMP has been insulted. All arguments on this page before this one are now invalid!

Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    What sudden and drastic change happened in TM, though? (Unless you're talking about anime, which had an even more gradual and well-charted shift from grimdark ultraviolence to moeblob)? Tsukihime had Santa Ciel telling you to stop being a NEET and be with your family. Fate had the aforementioned Cyborg Shirou (this one in the main story). HA has all sorts of hijinks mixed in with Angra Mainyu being Angra Mainyu. Even Zero has its funny moments. It's not like Extra came and turned everything into memes XD, the story has never taken itself 100% seriously. Anime rarely ever does, even all the way back; Berserk has Puck, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has Oberhauser and occasionally Yang (among others) being the comically serious, Utena has mind-swapping curry as one of its more normal episodes, etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Be aware that I am not against humor, where appropriate. The problem is humor not having a clear line to distinguish itself from the situations where emotions must be realistic. Humor at home, doing something wacky is alright. Humor in the battlefield is not. Humor using your powers, which have been stated to not be a toy is most definitely not alright.

And I haven't been able to hear Chiwa Saito and not screech after Break Blade... then I thought it was bad... and then Yona happened, and it became worse (and I also developed a worse hatred for Monica Rial because if Saito didn't fit, then her fitting an spoiled brat was even worse!).

Unpopular opinion: 4Kids at least forced the dub industry to stock new talent.

Your opinion is wrong and I will fight you over it

but I guess that's the thread
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

JP Friend Code
    You know what I am referring to (basically, the time where "moe" did not exist or was very subdued/frowned upon. And no, I don't judge you for liking this, but I judge the general commanding heights of Japanese media for becoming more niche rather than more mainstream. That is another unpopular opinion.
    Your definition of moe is strange. I don't find the artstyle moe, because that very definition is subjective at best. This is what made me like the character in the first place
    Spoiler:

Is that moe to you? It's from 10 years ago, in the original game. And one of the reason I liked it becuz of certain old artstyle Arcueid resemblance. The artist simply refined his style to what you saw here. I could use the old sprites art, but why should I, if have the high quality updated artwork that won't take me 10 hours to PTS with my shitty PTS skillz.
    After all, many remember Utena, Eva and DBZ, as well as Rayearth and Sailor Moon, but not many can identify a Japanese franchise that is rather new and has a fully Japanese name and has no stigma around it.

Essentially, anime lacks a modern mass marketable worldwide product. My Hero Academia and One Punch Man get close, but they don't count.
    One Piece (which has artstyle so strange that a lot of Western anime viewers hated and can never be as popular as other genneric series in the West) is my all-time favorite.
    Do know anything mentioned besides hating X is probably just hyperbole to drive home how much I loathe something. This seems to be either culture (PC Culture) or language differences (In Spanish, it's not rare to hear people wishing death on others and for this to be brushed off as just saying you hate them).
    In Vietnamese it's extremely often to talk shit (sometimes go beyond just wishing death) about everyone from the great great great great great grandpa and grandma (generally referred to as "the entire 18 generations of your ancestors") of the person one is shitting on. Do you see me do that when I express my hate here?
    At least for the American ones? Yeah... Plenty...
    So you don't have any proofs for JP ones, yet you talked like they are the same as American ones. Good to know.
    Except I don't actually go burning houses or the like, but I think they are hogging the spotlight, getting way too many roles and letting this get over their heads. It's a bad sign when after 10 or so different anime series seen in a site, all of them have one of these artists. Roll back to 2005 and you will find that there could be a laundry list of series in your backlog and you'd see jack squat about the seiyuu/VA you like. Today? I can't find a single one where one of these isn't voicing an important role and that grinds me the wrong way. Again, cultural expectations. Around here, you overstay your welcome by being in more than three different shows on TV in any given year.
    You might want to check the list of year 2018 roles of the JP VAs you were shitting on.
    Also, I am not going to change the way I speak because people don't like it and I am not in America.
    I'm Vietnamese. And like I told you, I don't bring my culture's way of shitting on others to a public forum. I do act like assholes to some ppl here, but I don't plan to use what is available in my culture to go a step further. But alas, if you're that excited to be the ultra asshole, then be my guest.

- - - Updated - - -

mighty Sayaka Ohara, Ami Koshimizu and Shizuka Ito...
    Finally you said something I can agree with.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; November 10th, 2018 at 10:32 AM.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Are there actually scripts for the later chapters? I thought they died with datamining.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    There's so much wrong I'm overwhelmed

I have to go in a bit but I just wanna address

On the contrary. If you wanna talk mass marketable older anime, that's just DBZ, Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Stuff like Eva, Bebop, Utena, etc. made the jump to the west but only in non-mainstream circles. Anime is far more mass-marketable now than it used to be. Not sure why you don't count OPM or Boku no Hero, seeing as those two are so popular that now you can count on one out of three college students, in Puerto Rico at least, to be watching either DBS, MHA, AOT or something similar (and yes, it's referred to as Boku no Hero Academia as well as My Hero, even if not as much). Add to that all the shonen staples (even Bleach continues to gain new fans thanks to Netflix), Attack on Titan (which is also referred to SnK, even if less popularly), Madoka, Little Witch Academia, Food Wars Kill la Kill, TTGL, Death Note, Fate/Zero, UBW, Apo, Last Encore, Seven Deadly Sins, hell, even something as niche as literal dragon vore/vomit fetish bait HisoMaso can gain an audience now thanks to Netflix (especially when the general public is unaware of the fetish aspect and just finds the character designs cute and the eating thing funny). Asking specifically for Japanese titles is a strange distinction seeing as all older popular anime had English titles, but nevertheless I'll note that if they choose Crunchyroll as their primary platform rather than Netflix, they'll usually follow at least three or four seasonals and know them by both English and Japanese titles. This is far less popular than Netflix, but nonetheless visible. Moe took over for ultraviolence the same way ultraviolence took over for space, but that doesn't mean anime at large is only known for that subset. Even if moe shows aren't the most popular in the mainstream (though you'll still see people watching KyoAni, Silver Link and/or PA Works shows; this season's Zombieland Saga has already gotten quite popular, for example), it doesn't invalidate it the same way that ultraviolence isn't invalidated just because most people find it uncomfortable to watch and how space isn't invalidated just because most people find it boring to watch.

Be aware that I am not against humor, where appropriate. The problem is humor not having a clear line to distinguish itself from the situations where emotions must be realistic. Humor at home, doing something wacky is alright. Humor in the battlefield is not. Humor using your powers, which have been stated to not be a toy is most definitely not alright.
    I can't think of an example of this happening in a piece of media that didn't establish its tone as light enough for this to happen (even if I don't find it particularly wrong for this to happen, depending on the context), are you referring to this happening in some TM work?

Unpopular opinion: 4Kids at least forced the dub industry to stock new talent.
    Can't say I disagree, I'd still rather watch 4Kids Pokemon over TPCi Pokemon to the point that the show is now unwatchable for me if I don't want subs, and Sun and Moon is by far my favorite season.
    Last edited by Toa of Gallifrey; November 10th, 2018 at 10:59 AM.
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and I will fight you over it

but I guess that's the thread
    Yes...

Let's take it to the street! *removes gloves and slaps you with one of them*

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    Your definition of moe is strange. I don't find the artstyle moe, because that very definition is subjective at best. This is what made me like the character in the first place
    Spoiler:

Is that moe to you? It's from 10 years ago, in the original game. And one of the reason I liked it becuz of certain old artstyle Arcueid resemblance. The artist simply refined his style to what you saw here. I could use the old sprites art, but why should I, if have the high quality updated artwork that won't take me 10 hours to PTS with my shitty PTS skillz.
    Borderline. Strictly speaking? No. However, this isn't a matter of the artstyle itself, but of prevalence. The amount of ecchi/harem/slice of life anime has soared in recent years. I miss the old shounen fighting anime where fighting and a sinister, comic style plot was in order instead of these weird, character centric stories that make me realize the character might be an idiot.

Also, the anatomy question. Arcueid had a fairly tall body, long limbs, not too stacked chest and back and the like. Today most female leads are fairly short or have an unusual flair about them that makes them seem stuck up.

Umineko and Touhou used that aesthetic and Touhou at least is the epitome of this kind of moe craze, but I don't slam it because it doesn't try to make itself seem like it's supposed to be popular or common. It knows it's otaku oriented and does everything to pretty much tell you it's not something for an anime casual like me (strictly speaking, I am a casual).

One Piece (which has artstyle so strange that a lot of Western anime viewers hated and can never be as popular as other genneric series in the West) is my all-time favorite.
    One Piece is... weird... the artstyle has evolved gradually. It's not bad, but since the evolution was fanservice oriented, I don't like it.

Also, it's fairly dated. It's from the Bleach era, which is early to mid 2000's. I am talking post 2013 animanga.

In Vietnamese it's extremely often to talk shit (sometimes go beyond just wishing death) about everyone from the great great great great great grandpa and grandma (generally referred to as "the entire 18 generations of your ancestors") of the person one is shitting on. Do you see me do that when I express my hate here?
    No, because I am not you. Also, this is common in the Spanish language Internet community. It's more of an instinctive habit.

I guess the Hispanonet is just a lot more toxic and anti-PC than the English language Internet... but I can't really control it. It sometimes just happens and I yell loudly through the keyboard, so to speak.

So you don't have any proofs for JP ones, yet you talked like they are the same as American ones. Good to know.
    You might want to check the list of year 2018 roles of the JP VAs you were shitting on.[/quote]

Ahem!

I'm Vietnamese. And like I told you, I don't bring my culture's way of shitting on others to a public forum. I do act like assholes to some ppl here, but I don't plan to use what is available in my culture to go a step further. But alas, if you're that excited to be the ultra asshole, then be my guest.
    That's another part of our culture (something that we admire about Russians doing the same). We don't lower our voices at all. I get this is actually a bad thing and I try to keep it down, but when I dislike something, this kind of caracter (feistyness) seeps out even if I am trying to stay cool. At least you aren't here. This is normal for us, and if you run a translator through, you will realize that we're way more vicious and dirty than the average American or Englishman, especially many people from East and Southeast Asia (I don't want to stereotype, but to us, you come across as too polite more often than not).

- - - Updated - - -

Finally you said something I can agree with.
    She's soft on her characters. The thing is, she isn't even my favorite, but she definitely sounds above average. You can't put her in a box, so to speak, whereas others like Saito can often be boxed in and end up voicing specific characters. You need hyperactive, bratty, snotty? She's your girl. The other VAs? They can't be limited to one character type because they sound too normal. There's no voicing over. They talk, and the character does when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    There's so much wrong I'm overwhelmed
    Note to you, don't visit the Iberian peninsula or look up the site "Forocoches" because your head will freeze...

Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    I have to go in a bit but I just wanna address

On the contrary. If you wanna talk mass marketable older anime, that's just DBZ, Sailor Moon and Pokemon.
    That's the heavy hitters. You might as well mention YGO...

Stuff like Eva, Bebop, Utena, etc. made the jump to the west but only in non-mainstream circles. Anime is far more mass-marketable now than it used to be. Not sure why you don't count OPM or Boku no Hero, seeing as those two are so popular that now you can count on one out of three college students, in Puerto Rico at least, to be watching either DBS, MHA, AOT or something similar (and yes, it's referred to as Boku no Hero Academia as well as My Hero, even if not as much). Add to that all the shonen staples (even Bleach continues to gain new fans thanks to Netflix), Attack on Titan (which is also referred to SnK, even if less popularly), Madoka, Little Witch Academia, Food Wars Kill la Kill, TTGL, Death Note, Fate/Zero, UBW, Apo, Last Encore, Seven Deadly Sins, hell, even something as niche as literal dragon vore/vomit fetish bait HisoMaso can gain an audience now thanks to Netflix (especially when the general public is unaware of the fetish aspect and just finds the character designs cute and the eating thing funny).
    The others I mentioned were less popular, but if you mentioned Rayearth to someone, they didn't care... Today? Sure, Attack on Titan, Bleach and Death Note are nice and all, but with the exception of AOT, most of what you cited is niche. I am not arguing an audience doesn't exist. I am arguing that audience can't talk these shows like people talk The Flash in classrooms or public places with random people.

There's a difference between gaining an audience and marketing to mainstream media audiences. When this stuff reaches the same scale as The CW or Saturday Morning specials, you will know we made it big. They haven't.

Asking specifically for Japanese titles is a strange distinction seeing as all older popular anime had English titles, but nevertheless I'll note that if they choose Crunchyroll as their primary platform rather than Netflix, they'll usually follow at least three or four seasonals and know them by both English and Japanese titles. This is far less popular than Netflix, but nonetheless visible. Moe took over for ultraviolence the same way ultraviolence took over for space, but that doesn't mean anime at large is only known for that subset. Even if moe shows aren't the most popular in the mainstream (though you'll still see people watching KyoAni, Silver Link and/or PA Works shows; this season's Zombieland Saga has already gotten quite popular, for example), it doesn't invalidate it the same way that ultraviolence isn't invalidated just because most people find it uncomfortable to watch and how space isn't invalidated just because most people find it boring to watch.
    The problem is it feels like anime is catering to an audience instead of supporting it's own designs. It's not trying to develop more Evas, Nausicas or Seiyas... It's pandering to the otaku and occasionally letting a mangaka do the heavy lifting (the guy behind One Punch Man).

The risk taking is gone. The stories developed for the sake of being a compelling tale have been boiled down to swallowing a barely developed premise with plenty of window dressing to mask it's shallowness. The ones that are serious, like AOT, are often a large scale endeavor and unlike most kusoge and similar work, they are enjoyable and can be marketed en masse.

They are not gone, but they are getting rarer. That's my pet peeve right there.

I can't think of an example of this happening in a piece of media that didn't establish its tone as light enough for this to happen (even if I don't find it particularly wrong for this to happen, depending on the context), are you referring to this happening in some TM work?
    Yes. Tsukihime. There were plenty of humorous moments, but Tsukihime's premise is dark. It leaves little to the imagination. The difference is that the humor is not a part of the serious ambiance. FGO feels like Guardians of the Galaxy compared to the Raimi Spiderman film that was Tsukihime. Humor was present in both, but it was self conscious in the latter.

The problem is, as always, time and place.

Can't say I disagree, I'd still rather watch 4Kids Pokemon over TPCi Pokemon to the point that the show is now unwatchable for me if I don't want subs, and Sun and Moon is by far my favorite season.
    Ditto. I definitely preferred the Waking the Dragons arc of YGO to the Doma one in Japanese. Better soundtrack, only some violent moments lost (which aren't important) and a lot of darker subplots (like the family of one of the Swordsmen simply casting him aside instead of dying)...

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Borderline. Strictly speaking? No. However, this isn't a matter of the artstyle itself, but of prevalence. The amount of ecchi/harem/slice of life anime has soared in recent years. I miss the old shounen fighting anime where fighting and a sinister, comic style plot was in order instead of these weird, character centric stories that make me realize the character might be an idiot.
    WTF are you talking about? There are plenty of shonen fighting anime still around just as there are still plenty of character centric/slice of life/ecchi animes out there. Neither are present at the expense of the other and operate in different ecosystems.