Page 115 of 617 FirstFirst ... 1565105110113114115116117120125165215615 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    It's the usual nostalgic myopia of 'anime was better in my time whippersnappers' when in reality there was just as much dreck in seasonal anime as there is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd say that anime as of late has gotten better than it used to be. Animation is much improved from the mid 00's, and with the mainstream-isation and international audience of the medium most of the uh, shall we say questionable elements aren't as widespread as they used to be. Thank God I can rec plenty of stuff to people these days without worrying if it has pantyshots and horny shit like that.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Excuse me, are you insulting Sora no Otoshimono, one of the greatest masterpieces of our time?
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    Borderline. Strictly speaking? No. However, this isn't a matter of the artstyle itself, but of prevalence. The amount of ecchi/harem/slice of life anime has soared in recent years. I miss the old shounen fighting anime where fighting and a sinister, comic style plot was in order instead of these weird, character centric stories that make me realize the character might be an idiot.
    The generic trash anime you see every season tend to have super cute artstyle (cute is subjective) sure, but the artstyle is not a problem in of itself. Rather it's the tropes that were being used over and over again in those animes in combination with the art. Artstyle can only go so far, it's the trash tropes that will complete the package. You are targeting the wrong thing. And tbh what I define as moe style is something like Kemono Friends, Lucky Star, Clannad.
    Today most female leads are fairly short or have an unusual flair about them that makes them seem stuck up.
    All of which does not apply to Lily, she grows from a child to a teen with fairly small breasts then an adult as my sig shown, so her body grows accordingly (even her voice changes from Illya-like to Rin-like to Medea-like as she grows, her personality went from childish to teen in puberty to motherly, this don't happen usually in anime and manga since authors tend to avoid changing the character design and personality too much to avoid backlash from the fans nowadays). By the time she reached adult form she is abnormally taller than most female chars you normally see in anime (if you see the full version of my sig her adult form stands like 30% taller than teen form, making the MC look like a child standing next to her (he is as tall as the teen form). And as you already noticed, her design is intentionally sexualized because, well duh, she's a sex demon in an eroge about killing, raping, conquering, finding out the purpose of war and revenge. A dark fantasy where the main heroine can be killed easily if you pick the wrong choices, or leads to not just your own death but everything you've built, as the amount of bad ends are more than good ends. The developers themselves didn't try to be big or appeal to the generic audience, they do rape, NTR, slavery and shit ever since 1998 which heavily limited their audience, but they don't care. Ironically, the game won a Moe game award in 2009 for gameplay while there's nothing moe about it or it ever has a chance to appeal to the moe otaku crowd.

I won't deny that you're not the first person calling her moe artstyle, I did get some questions about the source from reddit ppl, but when I told them the source they ran away asap cuz dark fantasy old school JRPG with violence and rape and exploring the dark truth about war crimes eww not my kind. That's why I said artstyle can attract ppl, yes, but as I said above it's not the big problem compare to the tropes. The otaku plebs can look up her hentai CGs for example, there are like 1000 of them cuz the game is 50-100 hours long, but that's not what will sell the actual game. Just like what will actually get the otakus to buy anime and merchs are tropes pandering to them, as even if you design a moe character but she is without tsundere/imouto/childhood friend...etc trope with a kawaii voice, that character will not be popular, or simply stop as fap materials.

I also won't deny that GO do have some pandering to the generic audience with certain designs of servants and ascension arts, but honestly you exaggerated it compare to what it actually is. It's like the reaction to Shitonai final art awhile ago, that was pure popcorn material. And from what I've seen recently, the male chars actually got more hype, evident by Izou and Salieri who instantly got a huge fanbase in their debut.
    One Piece is... weird... the artstyle has evolved gradually. It's not bad, but since the evolution was fanservice oriented, I don't like it.
    Let me tell you a secret: my favorite female character in OP is Charlotte Linlin. Unlike a lot of ppl, fanservice design is not a factor for me to decide which character I like.
    She's not even a Fate VA or is one of those Fate VAs you listed lol, this is irrelevant. I told you to see the list of roles the VAs you bashed took this year because you assumed they stole new leading roles from new talent. Maaya only had 1 new anime role this year and shared the role with a bunch of other VAs due to the character having multiple forms. All of her game voicing roles are roles of old characters she voiced b4 that are receiving spinoffs/remakes. Same for Saito who only voiced recurring Fate chars, 1 new anime role that is not even part of the main cast, and a minor mobile game role.

The dark side of idol culture and such are not new, but stereotyping all VAs is stupid, considering, like I said, Maaya Sakamoto and Chiwa Saito already married, had children and living a pretty reserved and quiet life far from the spotlight. They don't even participate in online communities or use social media accounts now. So other than your personal dislike of their voices, you have nothing on them to group them into the shithole your delusions created.
    (I don't want to stereotype, but to us, you come across as too polite more often than not).
    Oh I can assure you the reason I sound polite more often than not is because I'm a Buddhist.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; November 11th, 2018 at 02:38 AM.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Excuse me, are you insulting Sora no Otoshimono, one of the greatest masterpieces of our time?
    Well, if he's not, I am

that shit was not watchable despite all honest to God attempts to.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We all have our demons...
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Well, if he's not, I am

that shit was not watchable despite all honest to God attempts to.
    canon finish apo vol 3

That's the heavy hitters. You might as well mention YGO...
    That's another one, and Digimon, though it was definitely more niche than the others.

The others I mentioned were less popular, but if you mentioned Rayearth to someone, they didn't care... Today? Sure, Attack on Titan, Bleach and Death Note are nice and all, but with the exception of AOT, most of what you cited is niche. I am not arguing an audience doesn't exist. I am arguing that audience can't talk these shows like people talk The Flash in classrooms or public places with random people.

There's a difference between gaining an audience and marketing to mainstream media audiences. When this stuff reaches the same scale as The CW or Saturday Morning specials, you will know we made it big. They haven't.
    How is AoT less niche than Zero or Death Note? Superhero shows aren't mainstream audiences either, unless it's something with a tighter production like Netflix's Marvel shows. CW's superhero shows have devolved to cater to their core audience, they're not very well regarded among mainstream audiences. Animation will never be more mainstream than something like the Big Bang Theory because animation is looked down upon by the general public as something for children. Western and eastern animation thrive within other audiences, both of which have gained a significant foothold that cannot be dismissed. When something like Hisone to Masotan, an anime where a woman has to pilot a dragon by being eaten by it, gets put on Netflix, advertised to people who've watched any other animated shows and people view it, it can't be denied that anime has breached beyond just being for the otaku, even when the show in question is a really weird and niche piece of media. Just because it's niche doesn't mean it can't reach a larger audience, just look at stuff like The Matrix. Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad breached the mainstream through sheer momentum, but they can also be considered niche because they're not shows that general audiences would find engaging. For the forseeable future, anime will not have this level of magnitude due to being animation, but that's the case with western animation as well. It's not because of the direction anime has taken.

The problem is it feels like anime is catering to an audience instead of supporting it's own designs. It's not trying to develop more Evas, Nausicas or Seiyas... It's pandering to the otaku and occasionally letting a mangaka do the heavy lifting (the guy behind One Punch Man).

The risk taking is gone. The stories developed for the sake of being a compelling tale have been boiled down to swallowing a barely developed premise with plenty of window dressing to mask it's shallowness. The ones that are serious, like AOT, are often a large scale endeavor and unlike most kusoge and similar work, they are enjoyable and can be marketed en masse.

They are not gone, but they are getting rarer. That's my pet peeve right there.
    Anime has always catered to otaku, it's just that otaku interests have changed over time. It's more noticeable now because a larger volume of anime is being produced than before. I don't like Attack on Titan, I dropped it 13 episodes in and would've dropped it sooner had it not been for a friend wanting me to watch it up to that mark, but it has its audience and I understand why it appeals to people, it just doesn't appeal to me. Lucky Star is an 8/10 for me, but someone whose tastes don't align with mine in that regard won't like it. There's no set percentage of good-to-bad (particularly because good and bad are subjective terms), but it can't be said that something is lacking that used to be; it's the opposite, there's too much and it needs to be cut down. If less shows are produced, more production values can be assigned to bettering any given show for any given audience. The biggest trend is trading aimlessly long filler-ridden productions for single-cour stints that occasionally get more seasons. Neither is an ideal medium for storytelling, anime has always been kneecapped by how it has to market itself. You get a Utena when a visionary director who's proven themselves sets out to bring their ideas to life. You get an Evangelion when a visionary director gets saddled with disappointing projects but still pours out their all. I can't cite any recent anime as perfect as Evangelion because Evangelion it was a once-in-a-lifetime lighting-in-a-bottle scenario. It's like being upset that there's nothing as groundbreaking as Citizen Kane anymore. Evangelion is what ushered forth the modern boom of otaku media. Utena was a product of a talented staff in the form of BePapas, but only its aesthetic is intrinsically tied to when it was created, not its themes. For the 2010s, the same applies to Penguindrum. There's been plenty of excellent anime for all sorts of audiences in the past couple of years alone; Mob Psycho, JoJo 4 and 5, Shouwa Genroku, KonoSuba, Little Witch Academia, Maid Dragon, etc. Trends have shifted towards adaptations, which can be more difficult to pull off than originals, but originals of note include Flip Flappers and Planet With. The only reason long sprawling stories are rarer than before is because of the aforementioned shift. Nevertheless, you can still find stuff like AoT, Overlord, Ajin, Food Wars, JoJo, etc. that get multiple seasons and tell longer stories.

Yes. Tsukihime. There were plenty of humorous moments, but Tsukihime's premise is dark. It leaves little to the imagination. The difference is that the humor is not a part of the serious ambiance. FGO feels like Guardians of the Galaxy compared to the Raimi Spiderman film that was Tsukihime. Humor was present in both, but it was self conscious in the latter.

The problem is, as always, time and place.
    I was asking for examples of places where you found the humor out of place. From what I understand, you don't seem to be taking issue with the way Tsukihime handled it and you compared FGO to Guardians, unless you're critcizing Guardians for that.
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

I hate how they added the class advantage system in the new FGO arcade. It is one of the things I have concern about.
    Last edited by SteelBeowulf; November 11th, 2018 at 01:05 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yes because we could have actually gotten a Watashi no Kyuuseishu sama anime
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    WTF are you talking about? There are plenty of shonen fighting anime still around just as there are still plenty of character centric/slice of life/ecchi animes out there. Neither are present at the expense of the other and operate in different ecosystems.
    All observers I've known often lump anime together. This means that serious anime has to live with the crap as well.

It's the usual nostalgic myopia of 'anime was better in my time whippersnappers' when in reality there was just as much dreck in seasonal anime as there is now.
    Either there was actually less or it was less visible and stayed in the hole it belonged.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I'd say that anime as of late has gotten better than it used to be. Animation is much improved from the mid 00's, and with the mainstream-isation and international audience of the medium most of the uh, shall we say questionable elements aren't as widespread as they used to be. Thank God I can rec plenty of stuff to people these days without worrying if it has pantyshots and horny shit like that.
    That's the thing I am questioning. How on god's green Earth is pervy stuff rarer now than 1991?!

I won't deny the improvement in the actual shows though. Technology has helped animators make the shows look better as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    The generic trash anime you see every season tend to have super cute artstyle (cute is subjective) sure, but the artstyle is not a problem in of itself. Rather it's the tropes that were being used over and over again in those animes in combination with the art. Artstyle can only go so far, it's the trash tropes that will complete the package. You are targeting the wrong thing. And tbh what I define as moe style is something like Kemono Friends, Lucky Star, Clannad.
    I am not restricting myself to art style. I am saying the prevalence of this type of story and art style means more often than not this type of story is often the go to story for most companies. In essence, trash will swallow decent anime unless there's something to put an end to this, like a backlash against moe and a demand for leggy, tall, CLAMP style females.

And the last examples take this too far. Look at a female in Naruto or Majikoi before comparing them to a female in, say... K-ON or IS... There's a clear disparity in appearance and the former (well, for Naruto, it was later) has female characters that look consistently older and more "real life" than those in the latter.

All of which does not apply to Lily, she grows from a child to a teen with fairly small breasts then an adult as my sig shown, so her body grows accordingly (even her voice changes from Illya-like to Rin-like to Medea-like as she grows, her personality went from childish to teen in puberty to motherly, this don't happen usually in anime and manga since authors tend to avoid changing the character design and personality too much to avoid backlash from the fans nowadays). By the time she reached adult form she is abnormally taller than most female chars you normally see in anime (if you see the full version of my sig her adult form stands like 30% taller than teen form, making the MC look like a child standing next to her (he is as tall as the teen form). And as you already noticed, her design is intentionally sexualized because, well duh, she's a sex demon in an eroge about killing, raping, conquering, finding out the purpose of war and revenge. A dark fantasy where the main heroine can be killed easily if you pick the wrong choices, or leads to not just your own death but everything you've built, as the amount of bad ends are more than good ends. The developers themselves didn't try to be big or appeal to the generic audience, they do rape, NTR, slavery and shit ever since 1998 which heavily limited their audience, but they don't care. Ironically, the game won a Moe game award in 2009 for gameplay while there's nothing moe about it or it ever has a chance to appeal to the moe otaku crowd.
    It has "cute" central characters? It caters to them. It's that simple. Something can be grimdark and moe at the same time when you try to make a young girl attractive to someone who's far older...

I won't deny that you're not the first person calling her moe artstyle, I did get some questions about the source from reddit ppl, but when I told them the source they ran away asap cuz dark fantasy old school JRPG with violence and rape and exploring the dark truth about war crimes eww not my kind. That's why I said artstyle can attract ppl, yes, but as I said above it's not the big problem compare to the tropes. The otaku plebs can look up her hentai CGs for example, there are like 1000 of them cuz the game is 50-100 hours long, but that's not what will sell the actual game. Just like what will actually get the otakus to buy anime and merchs are tropes pandering to them, as even if you design a moe character but she is without tsundere/imouto/childhood friend...etc trope with a kawaii voice, that character will not be popular, or simply stop as fap materials.
    The thing is, some of us don't feel comfortable looking at "imoutos" as a whole unless they are playing their role and nothing else. If this isn't something we wouldn't be able to do in real life, odds are it's going to feel jarring unless you're deep into anime. I am not. I acknowledge the strength of narratives, but I am not into stuff for what it is and I am most certainly not into anime because I like anime for what it is as much as I like the edgy aesthetic (think characters like Lelouch and Akame) and the fact it's animation that isn't necessarily childish. Also, interesting storylines when they do happen.

I had no problems with Rozen Maiden, because it was aware of what it was.

I also won't deny that GO do have some pandering to the generic audience with certain designs of servants and ascension arts, but honestly you exaggerated it compare to what it actually is. It's like the reaction to Shitonai final art awhile ago, that was pure popcorn material. And from what I've seen recently, the male chars actually got more hype, evident by Izou and Salieri who instantly got a huge fanbase in their debut.

Let me tell you a secret: my favorite female character in OP is Charlotte Linlin. Unlike a lot of ppl, fanservice design is not a factor for me to decide which character I like.
    Neither for me. I am not gay, yet one of my favorite characters is Ichigo Kurosaki, because he acts like a teen would and doesn't seem like a caricature of himself.

She's not even a Fate VA or is one of those Fate VAs you listed lol, this is irrelevant. I told you to see the list of roles the VAs you bashed took this year because you assumed they stole new leading roles from new talent. Maaya only had 1 new anime role this year and shared the role with a bunch of other VAs due to the character having multiple forms. All of her game voicing roles are roles of old characters she voiced b4 that are receiving spinoffs/remakes. Same for Saito who only voiced recurring Fate chars, 1 new anime role that is not even part of the main cast, and a minor mobile game role.
    You're assuming I am specifically roasting them for something they did... even though I didn't. I clearly highlighted this was because the precedent was for people with too much fans to eventually engage into this sort of insane antics. If you are right then that kind of thing might not be something I will have to worry about.

Icarus plummeted to the grave like they would if they kept doing what he did: flying too high...

The dark side of idol culture and such are not new, but stereotyping all VAs is stupid, considering, like I said, Maaya Sakamoto and Chiwa Saito already married, had children and living a pretty reserved and quiet life far from the spotlight. They don't even participate in online communities or use social media accounts now. So other than your personal dislike of their voices, you have nothing on them to group them into the shithole your delusions created.
    Trust me body, being married doesn't mean you can't be stuck up or a shitty person. This has happened before. I just brought the Hirano scandal as a particularly egregious situation.

Laura Bailey has done nothing wrong, but people are getting tired of her and complaining she's hogging every major role in gaming for herself and they are getting fed up. Same here.

Oh I can assure you the reason I sound polite more often than not is because I'm a Buddhist.
    Hello, I am a Catalan independentist, and shouting whatever we feel is the norm for our kind. Like it or not, I am probably not going to stop sounding rude, mostly because we're all loud... Hell, actual Nazis call us Nazis because of how loud and defensive we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    That's another one, and Digimon, though it was definitely more niche than the others.

How is AoT less niche than Zero or Death Note? Superhero shows aren't mainstream audiences either, unless it's something with a tighter production like Netflix's Marvel shows. CW's superhero shows have devolved to cater to their core audience, they're not very well regarded among mainstream audiences. Animation will never be more mainstream than something like the Big Bang Theory because animation is looked down upon by the general public as something for children. Western and eastern animation thrive within other audiences, both of which have gained a significant foothold that cannot be dismissed. When something like Hisone to Masotan, an anime where a woman has to pilot a dragon by being eaten by it, gets put on Netflix, advertised to people who've watched any other animated shows and people view it, it can't be denied that anime has breached beyond just being for the otaku, even when the show in question is a really weird and niche piece of media. Just because it's niche doesn't mean it can't reach a larger audience, just look at stuff like The Matrix.
    That's the thing... Well, most of it. You're talking about reach. I am talking about audience and societal approval. Yes, anime and animation as a whole have the "for children" stigma here, but when seeing something like Don Bluth movies, Frozen or Miraculous Ladybug is seen as mostly acceptable and seeing SAO is treated as being a "weaboo" you know you have a problem.

Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad breached the mainstream through sheer momentum, but they can also be considered niche because they're not shows that general audiences would find engaging. For the forseeable future, anime will not have this level of magnitude due to being animation, but that's the case with western animation as well. It's not because of the direction anime has taken.
    They broke out due to sheer dumb force making them palatable. For one, I could make an anime palatable to Western audiences. Then there's the fact that GoT and CW shows are not strange if well regarded only by fans. When people can see an anime and not attach otaku labels or terms to it, but describe it with normal, mundane terms, you will have achieved the purported mission I am after: making anime acceptable.

Anime has always catered to otaku, it's just that otaku interests have changed over time. It's more noticeable now because a larger volume of anime is being produced than before. I don't like Attack on Titan, I dropped it 13 episodes in and would've dropped it sooner had it not been for a friend wanting me to watch it up to that mark, but it has its audience and I understand why it appeals to people, it just doesn't appeal to me. Lucky Star is an 8/10 for me, but someone whose tastes don't align with mine in that regard won't like it. There's no set percentage of good-to-bad (particularly because good and bad are subjective terms), but it can't be said that something is lacking that used to be; it's the opposite, there's too much and it needs to be cut down. If less shows are produced, more production values can be assigned to bettering any given show for any given audience. The biggest trend is trading aimlessly long filler-ridden productions for single-cour stints that occasionally get more seasons. Neither is an ideal medium for storytelling, anime has always been kneecapped by how it has to market itself. You get a Utena when a visionary director who's proven themselves sets out to bring their ideas to life. You get an Evangelion when a visionary director gets saddled with disappointing projects but still pours out their all. I can't cite any recent anime as perfect as Evangelion because Evangelion it was a once-in-a-lifetime lighting-in-a-bottle scenario. It's like being upset that there's nothing as groundbreaking as Citizen Kane anymore. Evangelion is what ushered forth the modern boom of otaku media. Utena was a product of a talented staff in the form of BePapas, but only its aesthetic is intrinsically tied to when it was created, not its themes. For the 2010s, the same applies to Penguindrum. There's been plenty of excellent anime for all sorts of audiences in the past couple of years alone; Mob Psycho, JoJo 4 and 5, Shouwa Genroku, KonoSuba, Little Witch Academia, Maid Dragon, etc. Trends have shifted towards adaptations, which can be more difficult to pull off than originals, but originals of note include Flip Flappers and Planet With. The only reason long sprawling stories are rarer than before is because of the aforementioned shift. Nevertheless, you can still find stuff like AoT, Overlord, Ajin, Food Wars, JoJo, etc. that get multiple seasons and tell longer stories.
    I hated Penguindrum (just the premise put me off so I thankfully didn't see it)... That said, I won't deny the fact good stories are still produced, but far more crap is also being produced. It's essentially what drives me to shun Steam and PSN and stick with XBL: curation. The content is restricted to what most would like. If you want specific stuff, you have other shit for that.

For the record, acceptable would entail "does not elicit ridicule if you tell a complete noob about it". If you can talk about an anime with anyone and attract only a generic "isn't animation for boys" response, then the anime has succeeded at breaking it mainstream... because it doesn't face the same stigma other non Western media or Western animation would face.

Essentially, the point is that anime ceases being regarded as "weird". This doesn't mean weird anime disappears, but that the face of anime is something common and consistent with its demographic. Bleach was truly the closest anime came to having a face during the 2000s... We don't have a similar story now.

I was asking for examples of places where you found the humor out of place. From what I understand, you don't seem to be taking issue with the way Tsukihime handled it and you compared FGO to Guardians, unless you're critcizing Guardians for that.
    I am criticizing Guardians. That movie was far worse dross than Spiderman 3.

Blog Entries
    “societal approval”

Blog Entries
    what is society
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    All observers I've known often lump anime together. This means that serious anime has to live with the crap as well.

Either there was actually less or it was less visible and stayed in the hole it belonged.

That's the thing I am questioning. How on god's green Earth is pervy stuff rarer now than 1991?!

I won't deny the improvement in the actual shows though. Technology has helped animators make the shows look better as a whole.

I am not restricting myself to art style. I am saying the prevalence of this type of story and art style means more often than not this type of story is often the go to story for most companies. In essence, trash will swallow decent anime unless there's something to put an end to this, like a backlash against moe and a demand for leggy, tall, CLAMP style females.

And the last examples take this too far. Look at a female in Naruto or Majikoi before comparing them to a female in, say... K-ON or IS... There's a clear disparity in appearance and the former (well, for Naruto, it was later) has female characters that look consistently older and more "real life" than those in the latter.

It has "cute" central characters? It caters to them. It's that simple. Something can be grimdark and moe at the same time when you try to make a young girl attractive to someone who's far older...

The thing is, some of us don't feel comfortable looking at "imoutos" as a whole unless they are playing their role and nothing else. If this isn't something we wouldn't be able to do in real life, odds are it's going to feel jarring unless you're deep into anime. I am not. I acknowledge the strength of narratives, but I am not into stuff for what it is and I am most certainly not into anime because I like anime for what it is as much as I like the edgy aesthetic (think characters like Lelouch and Akame) and the fact it's animation that isn't necessarily childish. Also, interesting storylines when they do happen.

Neither for me. I am not gay, yet one of my favorite characters is Ichigo Kurosaki, because he acts like a teen would and doesn't seem like a caricature of himself.

You're assuming I am specifically roasting them for something they did... even though I didn't. I clearly highlighted this was because the precedent was for people with too much fans to eventually engage into this sort of insane antics. If you are right then that kind of thing might not be something I will have to worry about.

Icarus plummeted to the grave like they would if they kept doing what he did: flying too high...

Trust me body, being married doesn't mean you can't be stuck up or a shitty person. This has happened before. I just brought the Hirano scandal as a particularly egregious situation.

Laura Bailey has done nothing wrong, but people are getting tired of her and complaining she's hogging every major role in gaming for herself and they are getting fed up. Same here.

Hello, I am a Catalan independentist, and shouting whatever we feel is the norm for our kind. Like it or not, I am probably not going to stop sounding rude, mostly because we're all loud... Hell, actual Nazis call us Nazis because of how loud and defensive we get.

That's the thing... Well, most of it. You're talking about reach. I am talking about audience and societal approval. Yes, anime and animation as a whole have the "for children" stigma here, but when seeing something like Don Bluth movies, Frozen or Miraculous Ladybug is seen as mostly acceptable and seeing SAO is treated as being a "weaboo" you know you have a problem.

They broke out due to sheer dumb force making them palatable. For one, I could make an anime palatable to Western audiences. Then there's the fact that GoT and CW shows are not strange if well regarded only by fans. When people can see an anime and not attach otaku labels or terms to it, but describe it with normal, mundane terms, you will have achieved the purported mission I am after: making anime acceptable.

I hated Penguindrum (just the premise put me off so I thankfully didn't see it)... That said, I won't deny the fact good stories are still produced, but far more crap is also being produced. It's essentially what drives me to shun Steam and PSN and stick with XBL: curation. The content is restricted to what most would like. If you want specific stuff, you have other shit for that.

For the record, acceptable would entail "does not elicit ridicule if you tell a complete noob about it". If you can talk about an anime with anyone and attract only a generic "isn't animation for boys" response, then the anime has succeeded at breaking it mainstream... because it doesn't face the same stigma other non Western media or Western animation would face.

Essentially, the point is that anime ceases being regarded as "weird". This doesn't mean weird anime disappears, but that the face of anime is something common and consistent with its demographic. Bleach was truly the closest anime came to having a face during the 2000s... We don't have a similar story now.

I am criticizing Guardians. That movie was far worse dross than Spiderman 3.
    Because I couldn't bother to pick which of your arguments to address specifically, I'm just gonna quote this whole wall. First, what standards are you fucking using? They're super contradictory and confusing in nature, and why are you constantly being so self-conscious about anime and wanting to make it palatable to a nebulous "society"? That just kills anime more than anything else, and the fact you seem to change your metric per argument doesn't help.

Also, that second part is DEFINITELY your imagination and because the internet was in its infancy.

Furthermore, your opinion on trash vs good is just obnoxiously elitist and wrong. Trash is trash and good is good no matter what genre, and both are subjective.

Actually, now that I think of it, why are you so preoccupied with making anime "respectable" and "mainstream"? Just let it stay in its niche like everything else does. Nothing is truly mainstream anymore, and everything has split into micro-cliques and niches.

Finally, you're a Catalan nationalist? I may not be from Spain, but I have some opinions on that matter, namely that I'm against splinter/independence movements in Europe and I believe in the binding and legal nature of the Iberian wedding. That, and nation states cannot get smaller.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    “societal approval”

You gotta go OG
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Yeah but the Greatest Showman one was like stupid big in Japan

JP Friend Code
    What is even "this type of story" here? I already told you where it's from and what the original art looked like. Does it look like the type of story you see most companies would go with without the Goblin Slayer type of reaction from the western casuals? If there was, then Eushully would not have been successful for 20 years and continue to do so, despite the fact that literally no one in the casual anime plebs community know about its existence and its infamous dark fantasy expanded universe with 19 games already. If you are just talking about the generic moe shit then don't drag Eushully in, because it's factually wrong. The mind of vanilla moe plebs who will watch everything with kawaii waifus and imoutos and osananajimis won't last more than an hour into any Eushully games except for Alchemy Meister which was the only Eushully game without ultra dark stuffs, and even that game requires 50-100 hours of gameplay and grinding. This can be said the same for most series of Alicesoft such as the infamous Rance.

And no you are restricting to artstyle, because that is what you keep bringing it up instead of the overused tropes which are the main problems. Just look at this very reply, the first part you said artstyle and story then the latter part you said story. Then the line after that you talk about arstyle boycott. That will never happen and you know it's true, because it is fucking subjective for each individual.

You simply don't like the style then you elevated your hate into a problem. Heck you did not even know about the source of my ava and you already lumped it with the "yeah this is moe so clearly it's one of those trash and it's the cause of trash" (with trash being also subjective to you). That is evidence that you focus on the artstyle and not the context which it came from, or even knew which target audience of it was in the first place, in your shallow casual mind it's just the casual stuffs you consumed. Only after I wrote a bunch of text lecturing you about where it came from then you try to change the topic into "prevalence" of the "moe" style ruining anime. There is no such things my dude, you're imagining things, go watch more animes and play more visual novels, at least 1 game per month like me for example, and you will see that you're just a frog in the well thinking you've seen it all and is experienced enough to voice your judgement. This is why ppl had problems with your statements and replied to try and give you insight to it. There's no shame of being a casual who don't know many things.
    And Naruto is trash, especially in the final arc. "Older" and more "realistic" artstyle doesn't guarantee a good show, that's why your artstyle and design argument is meaningless and worthless. I told you which I defined as "moe", to tell you that it's subjective, neither right or wrong, cannot be used as a standard to generalize animes and manga and games. Every genre in existence has good and bad shits, moe animes have good and bad ones, serious egdy shit you like have good or bad ones. Perhaps you already knew this fact, but the way you keep talking nonsense about "prevalence of moe" = doom of anime clearly pushing the idea that you think everything moe is trash and is the problem while your edgy "classic" or CLAMP styles = the only good shit (mind you I love CLAMP but no I don't want more of their style around because it will ruin what is unique about them). If that kind of logic is not shallow I don't know what is. Things you hate are only problems to you and you alone, which would be fine if you kept it that way. But clearly you are hammering them as facts, that if it's not the way you like then it's factually bad. Correct me if I'm wrong on thinking you're doing that way, because your arguments are all over the place.
    Catering simply means you try to appeal to whichever your targeted audience is. When the targeted audience is not the generic moe club, then it's not catering to them, it's that simple but apparently your casual mind don't get it or refuse to accept it. Do you want to be like the dumb reviewers who generalize all animes that badly? If that's the case then oh boy you have a pretty strange fetish, but I won't judge. Eushully games cater to the minority of gamers and otaku who like grimdark shit + old school stuffs, early designs sometimes look even worse than FSN OG art and I still loved the shit out of their games, just like FSN in the beginning had to flip the gender of the MCs and add H-scenes to make sure it sells with the younger male otaku crowd, this is not a problem with modern day anime and games or the artstyle itself, so it is retarded to say it is the problem now. Every single entertainment media will cater to their targeted audience. Not everything must cater to your taste. Go out of your well, watch more animes, play more visual novels, elevate your casual plebs status, then come back.

Then I don't see why you are having problems with other ppl's preferences. I don't care why you watch anime or read manga or play games, I don't care if it's because you like the art, the story or w/e. But your preferences are not the standard. The generic otaku crowd has their preferences, the obscure crowd has their preferences, the fetish crowd has their preferences, you have your preferences. Whichever has the most population will have the most products catering to them, that's how the world works. It has always been that way and will always be that way no matter how much you want them gone becuz "it's not what i want waahh wahhh!". Sitting there typing shit like "waaah waaah I want these gone from my life, I want these VAs dead!" doesn't do anything except making you look like a brat. It's stupid to act like that is the plague which is killing good animes and mangas...etc when stuffs catering to other types do exist, just that you simply don't look for them enough. Don't let the nostalgia cloud your judgement. Grow up, learn some JP like I did and throw yourself into good shits that never got localized simply because they did not appeal to the plebs.
    That is because you stated it like it is fact. I honestly don't know if you're just talking shit for the sake of talking shit, or it's that you have the fetish of wanting to be edgy and "against the popular cuz it's cool and make me feel special". It's hilariously shallow. Or maybe I'm wrong and that you just fucked up how you wrote your opinions and failed to say what you actually meant to say.

There is something you don't know about JP society, that is the fate of female who get married. For the most part once you got married and started to have children, they almost always get out of w/e the business they are doing and stay home as a housewife. And worse, even if the law never support this many companies will make contracts which will enforce this. My friend who is living in Japan is very reluctant to marry his girlfriend, because the moment that they do and she has a child, chance that she will stay home for good and the burden of working will be all on him. This is why I brought it up as a factor. The moment a VA got married, while they might still have connections to the industry, they will get less and less roles over time until they fully retire, these VAs took the largest risk when they got married. It's the culture's problem in of itself, partially because of that stupid tradition "good wife wise mom raising children at home", and partially because the otaku crowd will get salty that the voice of their pure virgin waifus got married.

And again, the fact that you did not find any example of Fate VAs being shitty person means you still have nothing but "yeah but it can happen to anyone man!" No shit! Still not an argument or facts to support your points.

Who is even Laura Bailey in the first place, I don't even know or care about her, but what if she got the roles because she is that good in the eyes of those who hired her and fit the roles that well, you ever thought of that or just pure hate? What if the so-called "new blooming talents" did not live up to the standards yet that they have to go with smaller roles first, yknow, like every fucking other jobs.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; November 11th, 2018 at 01:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    And Naruto is trash
    h-how dare you...

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    what is society
    a thing that we live in
    canon finish apo vol 3

Summer Dioscuri Dream Sandstorm77's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    When the hell was bleach ever the face of anime? If anything it would’ve been naruto which nowdays is up there with dragonball of anime tittle that most people can think of and has basically stuck to people’s mind as what to associate ninjas with. While bleach is pretty much forgotten aside from the anime watching crowd.

Hell these days things like MHA or AoT would be more deserving of being called something like that compared to bleach given how much these shows have spread beyond the usual anime watchers. Not to mention with them carrying more western themes which makes it easier for more people to try.

"An ideal is only an ideal after all. As long as you embrace that ideal, the friction with reality will continue to increase. So you will someday face reality and will have to pay for your compromises"