Page 55 of 618 FirstFirst ... 5455053545556576065105155555 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 12356

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Who are you responding to?

- - - Updated - - -

There is the Faculty of Law, which despite being looked down upon by other magi likely is what keeps the whole thing together.
    Policies is explicitly not a governing body, though. It's like taking debate club in high school, nobody's actually going to listen if they don't want to.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    The quintessential Clock Tower magus, summarised.
    Where does that quote even come from? I've read it before on this site. Also, that life is definitely not for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Policies is explicitly not a governing body, though. It's like taking debate club in high school, nobody's actually going to listen if they don't want to.
    Except the way it's portrayed in the first book is as an enforcement body that can exert its will when necessary. They are the ones who helped Ashbourne with his Crest regeneration scam to get rid of potential threats, and the whole angel thing was Adashino's way of getting rid of the invitees.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    that guy is a neet
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

I guess? I never viewed any kind of potterization but that might be because it's been over a decade since I've even watched one of the movies. Waver's certainly an outlier, but it works on some level so he can familiarize us with what is essentially alien. But then I guess the issue is that the alienness of magi culture isn't suitably alien enough anymore, I'm not sure. I think CF is enjoyable still but I'd also be interested in something Dulla is talking about

Adult Waver's the edgy tired Itachi bishi we all are in our hearts, or something
    I don't think I could engage with something like what Dulla suggested because I'd just hate all of them and be unable to latch onto anyone. That, and it'd be totally incomprehensible CF is great because we have characters like Waver and Gray to help us navigate through the Byzantine mess that is CT. Reines is far less enjoyable IMO. Also, as a pretty huge HP fan myself, I can say CT is definitely not Potterized in any meaningful respect. The similarities are superficial at best.

A lot of the HP similarities are just similarities due to the school of magic setting, of which HP DEFINITELY wasn't the first. Also, how DARE you get in the way of my Waver x Taiga OTP!
    Originally if felt more like a very loose interpretation of an institute rather than a school. Somewhere you go to make use of their knowledge or resources but unless someone takes you under their wing or finds some use for you you study magic on your own however you want and try not to get murdered. Then Zero showed actual auditoriums and lectures and things were set on course for YA.

The Potterification of the magus begins when the magus as an individual unknown to the mundane social paradigms and moral codes who is wholly devoted to the pursuit of a transcendent goal that in turn transcends the individual as the culmination of a craft and thesis developed by and defining those who came before and those who will come after is presented as a normal if kooky person with a magic gimmick and a switch in their head to turn their magus part on and off. That works for characters who have reasons to not be immersed and moulded by that mindset such as Rin and Waver, but not for the prime academic institution of magical research and the magi who by all means should be exemplars of their kind.

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking about it KnK's representation is the closest to the ideal and that still only skirted the issue.

The Potterification of the magus begins when the magus as an individual unknown to the mundane social paradigms and moral codes who is wholly devoted to the pursuit of a transcendent goal that in turn transcends the individual as the culmination of a craft and thesis developed by and defining those who came before and those who will come after is presented as a normal if kooky person with a magic gimmick and a switch in their head to turn their magus part on and off. That works for characters who have reasons to not be immersed and moulded by that mindset such as Rin and Waver, but not for the prime academic institution of magical research and the magi who by all means should be exemplars of their kind.
    I don't think all magi are in fact presented that way now. It's just that the ones we've met are highly unusual like Rin and Waver, novices like Gray, or just not true magi. Besides, a work featuring the type of magus you speak of would IMO be rather non-compelling and dry, if not desolate.

So basically look at any (consumate) historical dabbler in alchemy or the occult before the onset of western spiritualism and it's a good parallel

Where does that quote even come from? I've read it before on this site.
    Clock Tower 2015.

Also, that life is definitely not for me.
    I thought we were discussing how magi should be represented, not self-insert premises.

I don't think I could engage with something like what Dulla suggested because I'd just hate all of them and be unable to latch onto anyone. That, and it'd be totally incomprehensible CF is great because we have characters like Waver and Gray to help us navigate through the Byzantine mess that is CT. Reines is far less enjoyable IMO. Also, as a pretty huge HP fan myself, I can say CT is definitely not Potterized in any meaningful respect. The similarities are superficial at best.
    Star Trek and Star Wars, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers
    Is there actually an example of this? Unless it's FGO flanderization of Waver, I can't recall any obvious "dumbing down" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Originally if felt more like a very loose interpretation of an institute rather than a school. Somewhere you go to make use of their knowledge or resources but unless someone takes you under their wing or finds some use for you you study magic on your own however you want and try not to get murdered. Then Zero showed actual auditoriums and lectures and things were set on course for YA.
    Even then, CF does state very little actual teaching goes on, and the rest of your statement is still mostly true.

Besides, didn't HF state Rin was tried in the oldest lecture hall at CT?
    - - - Updated - - -

Clock Tower 2015.

I thought we were discussing how magi should be represented, not self-insert premises.
    I know. Just had to put in that throwaway remark. It''s not actually relevant to the discussion.

Is there actually an example of this? Unless it's FGO flanderization of Waver, I can't recall any obvious "dumbing down" so to speak.
    Luvia, for a familiar example. Inorai the literal Lord of a Faculty that smokes, owns an iPod, and is hip with all the cool kids because she's in the Democratic faction and Sanda couldn't think of a subtler distinction with the Traditionalists than musty aristocrats vs millennial-lovers or a better method to communicate it.

Luvia, for a familiar example. Inorai the literal Lord of a Faculty that smokes, owns an iPod, and is hip with all the cool kids because she's in the Democratic faction and Sanda couldn't think of a subtler distinction with the Traditionalists than musty aristocrats vs millennial-lovers or a better method to communicate it.
    The Edelfelts are also mostly treasure hunters, and she was initially introduced in HA, so that only really makes sense. Inorai still isn't portrayed as necessarily normal. Even other Democrats aren't like that, such as the father of the Gold and Silver Princesses.

Besides, magi are fundamentally human in body, so shouldn't their basic psychology have something in common with that of regular humans?

Ah, yeah that's fair enough.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Inorai the literal Lord of a Faculty that smokes, owns an iPod, and is hip with all the cool kids because she's in the Democratic faction and Sanda couldn't think of a subtler distinction with the Traditionalists than musty aristocrats vs millennial-lovers or a better method to communicate it.
    Sorry that you don't appreciate the literal best type moon character

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Sorry that you don't appreciate the literal best type moon character
    But I love Reines???

Reines is a bitch, and not in the fun way.

No actually Reines is literally the best

No actually Reines is literally the best
    Hence why I posted my opinion here. Gray is best CF POV narrator thus far.

Oh no TM magi have political factions now.

Next they'll have their own zany magical newspaper.