Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2934373839

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

Εις οιωνός άριστος, αμύνεσθαι περί πάτρις Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    No, I said in motivation he's more evil. Hitler had some half-cocked idea about strengthening humanity by killing anybody who didn't match up to his lofty goals. Iskander's end goal is literally just waging war.

"I am in charge and if you disagree you can die" is the tagline of every dictator on the planet.

Again: Completely wrong. He's going to war because war. He's going to conquer because there are people there to conquer. And no he doesn't care about what happens after the war, he left their own people in charge, put some rules of his own in place, then went toward his next war.

To this day I think the most disturbing and despair-inducing thing Urobuchi did was to make Iskander as likeable as he is.

Yep, but to be fair it did end with him throwing a minor hissy fit and going "Nah m8 talk to the hand I don't care about your opinion any more lalalalala".
    Ok, I think at this point the most I can muster is "no u".
    You're flat out wrong about his motivation and actively ignoring evidence to the contrary. There's nothing to debate here.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.

Once and always and nevermore.

If only that standpoint was realised sooner

but then again, thats not how things are done right

Εις οιωνός άριστος, αμύνεσθαι περί πάτρις Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    The idea that war (either an unjust war, as defined by the specific author, or the act of warfare itself) is something to be condemned isn't a modern one, and wasn't new even by the standards of Ancient Greece. "Lysistrata", "Peace", "Trojan Women", "Republic"... Heck, "The Persians" can easily be read as a condemnation of war.
    You can pretty much add all of Aristophanes' comedies there. I think "Acharnes" is the most pointed one after "Peace", personally. "Trojan Women" on the other hand is more of an exploration of the tragedy of war rather than an anti-war work in itself. And the reason for that is that, precisely, "might makes right" WAS the prevailing mindset of its time. Why aren't we condeming Leonidas for all the cruel practices the Spartans used in order to field the strongest infantry in Greece?
    Are you somehow under the impression that conquering the world would have no victims?
    Are you misunderstanding my point or misrepresenting it on purpose? I clearly said that his war would cause victims. The quote was a response to Seika's assertion that

I suggest that the reverse is true. He takes by force as a default; he accepts peaceable tribute if it happens to fall into his lap.

which is manifestly untrue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    If only that standpoint was realised sooner

but then again, thats not how things are done right
    Debating for the sake of debating can be fun, but only when people actually respond to each other's points.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.

Once and always and nevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Debating for the sake of debating can be fun, but only when people actually respond to each other's points.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    thats not how things are done right