Page 74 of 617 FirstFirst ... 24646972737475767984124174574 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    As someone who only watched Eva (and Rebuild) recently, I think either Shinji is perfectly fine.
    Then again, I have watched a lot of Gundam so protagonists having negative human traits aren't surprising to me.

Blog Entries
    Asuka > Rei

Similiarly,

Tohsaka > other

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    I gotta hand it to him, it was a good explanation
    Nice!

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    When is the last time you've seen viewers feel sympathy toward Ikari Shinji? Most deliberately try to ignore his circumstances so they can bitch about how he's a coward or wonder why is he so ungrateful about piloting giant biomechanical robots.
    Shinji was a freaking badass (considering his overall situation).

Seriously, people underestimate the kind of adamantium-plated bollocks it takes for a freaking TWELVE-YEAR-OLD, and one with no positive reinforcement or example to look up to to boot, to be told "go risk your life in a war you'd never heard of, using a machine you don't have the first clue about, or this half-dead girl here will" and going "Ok, fuck it, I'll do it". The stuff people mock about his later reactions, where he curls up and cries in a ball of "what the fuck is wrong with me"? That's the NORMAL reaction. Hell, scratch that, that's the reaction mentally sound adults that have been conditioned for years and who risk their lives facing other humans instead of mind-raping Aliens and without the fate of the world at risk, have. Taken in context, Shinji's mental fortitude is so unrealistic he makes Jack Rakan seem downright mundane.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; October 17th, 2018 at 02:55 AM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post

Seriously, people underestimate the kind of adamantium-plated bollocks it takes for a freaking TWELVE-YEAR-OLD, and one with no positive reinforcement or example to lice up to to boot, to be told "go risk your life in a war you'd never heard of, using a machine you don't have the first clue about, or this half-dead girl here will" and going "Ok, fuck it, I'll do it". The stuff people mock about his later reactions, where he curls up and cries in a ball of "what the fuck is wrong with me"? That's the NORMAL reaction. Hell, scratch that, that's the reaction mentally sound adults that have been conditioned for years and who risk their lives facing known elements, without the fate of the world at risk, can have. Taken in context, Shinji's mental fortitude is so unrealistic he makes Jack Rakan seem downright mundane.
    Even taking that into account, it's still kind of annoying when he does that, and honestly, I don't think anyone is a badass in that show because they're all too fucked up.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Shinji was a champ putting up with Zouken and Sakura for so long. It's a miracle he ended up as socially outgoing and adept as he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Yeah, Shinji was a champ putting up with Zouken and Sakura for so long. It's a miracle he ended up as socially outgoing and adept as he did.
    How sarcastic is this and how serious is it?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Well his mom, dad, and uncle all fucking died and his last remaining parental figure couldn't give an iota of a shit about his existence so it's pretty admirable that he managed to self-motivate and make friends like he did.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually come to think of it did Byakuya die or did he just drink himself into irrelevancy? Either way no daddy dearest in the picture for poor Shinji.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Well his mom, dad, and uncle all fucking died and his last remaining parental figure couldn't give an iota of a shit about his existence so it's pretty admirable that he managed to self-motivate and make friends like he did.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually come to think of it did Byakuya die or did he just drink himself into irrelevancy? Either way no daddy dearest in the picture for poor Shinji.
    I thought he both drank himself to irrelevancy and died. In any case, while it IS admirable Shinji was able to piece himself somewhat together with all that, at the same time, a lot of his self-esteem and self-worth was based on bullying and later raping his adopted younger sister as encouraged by Zouken, so I don't know.

Blog Entries
    But the rape got retconned into beatings to tie into Japan’s nationwide “See Something Say Something” DV awareness campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    But the rape got retconned into beatings to tie into Japan’s nationwide “See Something Say Something” DV awareness campaign
    The gist of it still remains.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Which one more annoying, Shinji's voice or Sakura's Senpai
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Shinji's voice is Kamiya Hiroshi.

That stuff is gold.

We're all talking about TM Shinji, right? Then I agree with Menwearpink.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    And thus a great VA was wasted on
    alternatively whinging and piss-poor ham evil acting.

Fortunately if King Hassan is any indication we might get a Kami-yan voiced Servant yet.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    people have creamed their pants over the 3rd HGW for years because of how much of a clusterfuck it's supposed to be, with nazis, IJA and so on all checked in
    Personally I like the idea because nazis plus magic basically equals Indiana Jones, and I love me some Indy.

the issue i want to raise is that the entanglement of magi/the "supernatural" with "real world"/"mundane" historical/political actors is fundamentally uninteresting. or more precisely the interest is misplaced. from an irretrievably modern point of view - which is what TM should because must be written from - the entanglement so mentioned is only interesting under the aspect of its precise opposite: the disentanglement, that is, the estrangement. through their both literal and figurative occultation (correlate to the historical process of disenchantment identified by Weber) magi - not individually but collectively (though this itself needs qualification) - have become an agency almost entirely detached from common humanity in a world-historical sense
    Magus society is uninteresting to me because it's lacks cohesion - in fact, the "truest" magi are the more hermit-like ones.

Individual magi are far more interesting, and the question that makes them interesting is "In a scale of Waver Velvet to Nrvnqsr Chaos, how willing are you to leave behind your humanity and become the pure embodiment of some terrible purpose?"

(which doesn't just apply to magi, but to all of the characters removed from mainstream humanity, that is, most named characters)
    Last edited by aldeayeah; October 17th, 2018 at 07:46 AM.
    don't quote me on this

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I wouldn't say she's a masterpiece, but character wise Raikou is still a better Servant than most people give her credit for.

Hey, by now the Foot Clan is much better known than the clan they took their name of as a parody, The Hand from Daredevil. Oddly enough, by now I find the idea of an assassin organization naming themselves after a foot less goofy than the same guys naming themselves after a hand, actually.

I blame that shitty Elektra movie.

I've grown to understand that my dislike for Raikou lies squarely on her weird boobs. It's the same case with Astolfo and him coming off as a female character that they decided to say is a guy, and me loving Alexander but not Iskander

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Historia View Post
    Mashu would've been better as a boy. Gimme male Matt.
    If I was given the option of male Mash, I'd feel much better about the game forcing her on me and actually pick the romance implicating dialogue

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar

Seriously, people underestimate the kind of adamantium-plated bollocks it takes for a freaking TWELVE-YEAR-OLD, and one with no positive reinforcement or example to look up to to boot, to be told "go risk your life in a war you'd never heard of, using a machine you don't have the first clue about, or this half-dead girl here will" and going "Ok, fuck it, I'll do it". The stuff people mock about his later reactions, where he curls up and cries in a ball of "what the fuck is wrong with me"? That's the NORMAL reaction. Hell, scratch that, that's the reaction mentally sound adults that have been conditioned for years and who risk their lives facing other humans instead of mind-raping Aliens and without the fate of the world at risk, have. Taken in context, Shinji's mental fortitude is so unrealistic he makes Jack Rakan seem downright mundane.
    Fourteen, actually, but yeah.

You also forget how the reward for risking his life in a routine basis is being denied anything higher but the life of an average middle high student, meaning on top of all the training and fighting that should be a career on its own he's also got to deal with being just another student once his classmates magically forget they ever were thrilled about having him in the first place. And you've got to live in a small apartment with two other people, doing all chores for a drunk woman child and a constantly agressive roommate out to undermine your self-image at any given point. On top of the school and the giant piloting, you're also two other people's, and a penguin's, caretaker.

Seriously, when looked too closely Shinji's life is like a parody of itself.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Fourteen, actually, but yeah.

You also forget how the reward for risking his life in a routine basis is being denied anything higher but the life of an average middle high student, meaning on top of all the training and fighting that should be a career on its own he's also got to deal with being just another student once his classmates magically forget they ever were thrilled about having him in the first place. And you've got to live in a small apartment with two other people, doing all chores for a drunk woman child and a constantly agressive roommate out to undermine your self-image at any given point. On top of the school and the giant piloting, you're also two other people's, and a penguin's, caretaker.

Seriously, when looked too closely Shinji's life is like a parody of itself.
    Eva's got a lot going on huh... maybe I'll watch it one day

And thus a great VA was wasted on
    alternatively whinging and piss-poor ham evil acting.

Fortunately if King Hassan is any indication we might get a Kami-yan voiced Servant yet.
    Thats like your opinion man.