Page 48 of 618 FirstFirst ... 38434647484950535898148548 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    waaaaaaaaaait

was the biggoron sword/giant's knife/that one sword that breaks in zelda games a motherfucking beowulf reference
    I wouldn’t put it past it. Much of the fantasy genre in games and books originated from stories like Beowulf which Tolkien brought up to the public spotlight

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    Can I just say it's "fisticuffs"
    Yes you can. Most of the time I’m just trying to write down words that sound right in my head. Grammar has never been my strong suit.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Historia View Post
    who cares about beowulf

why can't i have all 3 valkyries at once
    Just get NP3 but don't NP3 them.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Still can't field all 3 tho.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Oh. I've only seen the first ten minutes or so of that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Are you telling me that Hrunting actually worked as it supposed to against Grendal’s Mother at piercing through her skin or that Naegling didn’t break apart when Beowulf swung it at the dragon?
    Hrunting wasn't HIS sword, and Naegling's breaking is symbolic - he presumably used it without issue in his decades fighting as a king, much like he wielded swords without issue before Grendel (and even when he says he'll fight Grendel unarmed, it's not because the sword would fail him, he frames it as a proper, honourable challenge between warriors). The poem's original audience wouldn't have conceived of Beowulf as anything close to a berserker, but now I have a max. level, max. Fou'ed supposed badass who crumples like wet tissue if someone so much as farts in his general direction, and looks terrible to boot, because freaking Nasu, Sanda, Higashide or whoever wanted a stupid Tyler Durden reference.

Blog Entries
    maybe don't play the game then
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Eh, I still have enough husbandos.

Blog Entries
    cope
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    is this even allowed?

Blog Entries

Hrunting wasn't HIS sword, and Naegling's breaking is symbolic - he presumably used it without issue in his decades fighting as a king, much like he wielded swords without issue before Grendel (and even when he says he'll fight Grendel unarmed, it's not because the sword would fail him, he frames it as a proper, honourable challenge between warriors). The poem's original audience wouldn't have conceived of Beowulf as anything close to a berserker, but now I have a max. level, max. Fou'ed supposed badass who crumples like wet tissue if someone so much as farts in his general direction, and looks terrible to boot, because freaking Nasu, Sanda, Higashide or whoever wanted a stupid Tyler Durden reference.
    Just think, if Brangelina had split a little earlier the chain of references that got us to Durdenwulf might never have happened

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marmadillo View Post
    is this even allowed?
    Do you really need anything other than the plane scene if you're just looking for quotes to post on Facebook anyway

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    bob having bitch tits is enough for facebook

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmadillo View Post
    is this even allowed?
    If it is, it shouldn't be. Spoony, do yourself a favor and finish. that. movie. Even if you know the twist. Especially if you know the twist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Just think, if Brangelina had split a little earlier the chain of references that got us to Durdenwulf might never have happened

- - - Updated - - -

Do you really need anything other than the plane scene if you're just looking for quotes to post on Facebook anyway
    The scene with the mirror.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code

You not getting my point are you, what I'm trying to say isn't that Beowulf doesn't use swords, he does and still do in GO. The point is this, tell me the legendary swords of Beowulf, the weapons that are synonymous to him as Excalibur is to King Arthur. Why I ask this is simple, because this is what would become his NPs. Now tell me the most famous things his legendary swords have done, thats easy they failed when he needed them. It doesn't matter if Hrunting is the ancestral heirloom of Unferth that had been loaned to Beowulf to deal with Grendel's Mother, what it is know for is being the sword that failed in piercing the skin of his enemy. It doesn't matter that Naegling is the sword representing Beowulf's kingship which he wielded for the 50 years of his reign, what is known for being is the sword that broke when he tried to use it against the dragon. What this is all about isn't whether Beowulf used swords or not, it's whether the swords he could use can be taken to be representative of him as his main central Noble Phantasm.

This is what it is about, NPs. Beowulf isn't like King Arthur where you can take his sword as being representative to him as a Servant, that is because the two legendary swords Beowulf wielded aren't a big center of his myth that you can honestly call his greatest trump card, which is what NPs are. Again it's not like he isn't wielding swords in Fate, he is, two at one time. That's not what I'm trying to talk about. It is about what feat and legendary item that he did or possessed that just screams Beowulf, you won't find a better answer then his dual with Grendel. Both in the poem and out. That is an event you can take as an NP and say that it embodies the Heroic Spirt Beowulf. What his profile says isn't that Beowulf is a poor swordsman or that he doesn't use swords, it's talking about the comparison of NPs, which is more stronger. Is it his magic swords which is most famous for not working when he needed it, or is it the event that solidified Beowulf as a hero unparalleled by fighting and defeating a god-cursed monster that has been terrorizing a whole kingdom for 12 years, killing all that faced it until Beowulf defeated it single-handedly not even using a weapon. That is what's important here.

As for the rest, A) that has more to do with you likes and aesthetics so I'm not gonna touch on that and B) gameplay and story segregation. Even if Beowulf isn't great in gameplay doesn't mean he is the same in lore, he is. Really he does need some strengthening quests. Maybe adding some stuff to his instinct by making it Hrunting, that's how I think it most logically would go anyhow.
    Last edited by Iceblade44; September 25th, 2018 at 10:52 AM.

anywhere than here

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    If it is, it shouldn't be. Spoony, do yourself a favor and finish. that. movie. Even if you know the twist. Especially if you know the twist.
    Oh, fine, fine. It's going on the list, though - no jumping the line!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    You not getting my point are you, [...]
    I do. My point is that that's a very narrow perception of Beowulf's legend.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Considering NPs are supposed to be crystallizations of a Heroic Spirit's legend, I'd say a narrow take is inevitable. Besides, weapons that broke aren't typically main NPs. I mean, Saber didn't have access to Caliburn, and it broke. I will admit however that the situations are vastly different.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I do. My point is that that's a very narrow perception of Beowulf's legend.
    I agree, but isn't that like, the point of classes?
    They're just an aspect of the legend because we can't summon the full Heroic Spirit. I think that if a differently classed Beowulf ever appeared, they would change that approach completely.

Beowulf probably COULD be a Saber, and then Hrunting and Naegling would be NPs, and maybe the Giant Sword would be a one-time Kill Sat or something.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    They're just an aspect of the legend because we can't summon the full Heroic Spirit. I think that if a differently classed Beowulf ever appeared, they would change that approach completely.
    Basically yeah. When their designing a Servant they aren't gonna be trying to get everything down or at least for the bigger ones. There gonna be narrowing down on some certain points for inspiration for NPs and Skills. You see this a lot in Servants, like for Cu where is his Body Spasms? For Karna where is his bow? For Heracles where is his iconic Lion pelt? Etc. For a Hero whose poem is just a bit under 100 pages Beowulf has a lot of stuff that won't all fit in just one class no matter which way you take it. If you make him more of a proper warrior as he was when he faced the Dragon you will miss out on his Iconic duel with Grendel, and vice versa if you go more of the other way your gonna miss out on his more kingly aspect which is more represented as a proper warrior. So you have to be narrow, no way about.

I mean they can go the route of making a Beowulf Lily based around his swimming adventure where his NP is the armor he wears which was made by Wayland the Smith. That is a legitimate aspect of Beowulf's legend that they could focus around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Beowulf probably COULD be a Saber, and then Hrunting and Naegling would be NPs, and maybe the Giant Sword would be a one-time Kill Sat or something.
    if they ever make his King Aspect I can see him being Saber. And he still has Hrunting and Naegling as NPs for Berserker, its just that there not central for him as a signature NP.

anywhere than here

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I am Jack's immeasurable disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    They're just an aspect of the legend because we can't summon the full Heroic Spirit.
    Perhaps, but that's not what I meant. I'm not saying "Oh, they focused only on a single aspect of the character", I'm saying "This aspect of the character on which they supposedly focused? It's closer to a misinterpretation".
    Let me put it another way: it's as if someone read that Medea killed her children, then portrayed her as some sort of serial killer of children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I know, right?!

Perhaps, but that's not what I meant. I'm not saying "Oh, they focused only on a single aspect of the character", I'm saying "This aspect of the character on which they supposedly focused? It's closer to a misinterpretation".
    Let me put it another way: it's as if someone read that Medea killed her children, then portrayed her as some sort of serial killer of children.

- - - Updated - - -

I know, right?!
    Is it really a misrepresentation though? Immense strength was just as much a part of his legend as any weapons were, and the Berserker aspect chose to focus on that. There is a reason he was called Beowulf, after all.