Page 97 of 617 FirstFirst ... 4787929596979899102107147197597 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

One day I'll get a job at Pixar and work my way up the ranks until they let me direct an 8 hour Tsukihime 3DCG animated film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    You can find a lot of HS with A rank on MR
    I don't think there was ever another HS with an A rank in MR that doesn't actually have MR.

Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    How in the world would something like Mahou Tsukai no Yoru not fit a Western audience when it's basically Dr Strange meets Twilight?
    It's Doctor Strange meets Infodump meets what is she gonna pull out of her arse this time?

There's a stigma against things not being boiled down to easily understandable chunks in the Western world, and a lot of the Nasuverse is gonna have to stay in the realm of text. Screaming loudly to beam harder also doesn't translate well.

I have nothing against light hearted stories, but when they are made, there are often serious counterparts around. If there was a "serious" FGO continuity or even just serious designs, then I could take it more seriously.

And wouldn't you pay attention to a compelling story regardless of the tone?

Sides, the problem isn't the sillyness being occasional, but being all over the place and intruding upon places it has no business in. Everything has a comedic undertone and then BAM, serious plot, being squandered by wasting it on a joke character. It's inconsistent. I don't know whether I will be laughing or gritting my teeth. If I can go from one to the next at the drop of a hat or even worse, have no idea which way to go, then I feel completely cheated.

Irony, the Lost Belts are basically the one place where they can choose whether to split into two and make a more consistent story, or change demographics or just stay the course. The problem isn't that the story isn't dark. It isn't being regarded as serious. The story could easily veer into lighter territory and be more serious by having the adversity actually affect character interactions and viewpoints. If the world is dying, the best way to deal with it is to have an air of gravity dropped on everyone's heads and have them have less "happy times" and more "uneasy nerves, fear, overpreparation and infighting" among themselves.
    Again, I don't have the foggiest what you mean by more serious. Arc 1 was the incineration of the human race, Arc 1.5 we get witch trials, mountains of corpses, Arc 2 we're basically wiping out populations so we can hopefully bring back our own world.

If you're suggesting perpetual grimdark, then no, that is definitely not the solution because perpetual grimdark without at least some kind of grim humour or absurdist tendencies is ridiculous, and boring on top of it. Funny antics, waifus and ridiculous events are necessary.

The story itself isn't the problem. It's the characters who treat it as no big deal. If it wasn't the big deal for them, then why isn't it over yet? Shouldn't they start worrying and packing on the heaviest gear they can get?
    Let's be honest, if you dealt with world-ending problems for a year plus, you'd start to be a bit flippant as well. It's not as if they're working in a nuclear power plant which has specific instructions on what to do in every concievable scenario. A big part of the problem is that everybody who was actually qualified to deal with this world-ending problem is dead or in an emergency state, and it's just us, Random McDudeface, and a skeleton crew winging it as we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    >Hollywood Notes

what why?
    I didn't specify Hollywood, but maybe I should've specified competent filmmakers.
    Last edited by eddyak; October 23rd, 2018 at 11:11 AM.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Not exactly impossible since that was part of Roman Africa at the time. Still, goddamit Nasu, this whole Sefar-Altera thing could have been done much better. Specifically, scatter Sefar's parts across the world, make Altera found in Eurasia, and rebend her back to Attila the Hun.
    Any one who can gather the 7 Sefar boxes guarded by 7 ancient divine pantheons can revive her.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Once upon a time, Hollywood couldn't make decent superhero movies or large scale magical fantasy films to save its life either, save very rare and still arguable exceptions, so I don't go as far as to say they will never be able to adapt a Japanese property properly. That's just defeatist thinking, and sort of arrogant as well since none of us can predict how tomorrow's creators will be. That's kind of like saying Type-Moon completely fails and will ever fail at portraying the foreign characters that comprise like more than a half of the Fate franchise. The pendulum goes boty sides, after all.

Japanese entertaiment isn't inherently superior to the Western and viceversa, and neither is there any special sort of mumbo-jumbo cultural magic that prevents someone born from some culture to understand another culture as long as enough care and thought are put into it. However, out of all the franchises of current Japanese pop entertainment, Fate is one of the hardest to translate over for such an adaptation, because of sheer size and logistics.
    I also said that out of personal distaste for Hollywood and live action in general, so yeah. I do understand where you're coming from. Personally, I think anime should only be adapted as animated films, not live action.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    Any one who can gather the 7 Sefar boxes guarded by 7 ancient divine pantheons can revive her.
    You know I actually think that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Personally, I think anime should only be adapted as animated films, not live action.
    It's not like some manga/anime can't be adapted into Live Action well if they lend themselves well to the medium, like Del Toro's desire to adapt Urasawa's Monster series into LA.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    wow that is an objectively terrible opinion.
    Never said I wanted it, just think if any TM property could work it'd be Notes. I sure wouldn't watch one though.

Notes is too compressed (and that's part of its charm, so it shouldn't be uncompressed); I think KnK can work best, but there's no reason when the ufotable movies exist.
    tfw no Fate/One

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Notes should be adapted as a series of OVAs with no hard set running time, utilizing just as much time as needed to adapt each section.
    I think there was something like this last year? Can't remember the name though.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    One day I'll get a job at Pixar and work my way up the ranks until they let me direct an 8 hour Tsukihime 3DCG animated film.
    That'd be a series, dude...

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    It's Doctor Strange meets Infodump meets what is she gonna pull out of her arse this time?

There's a stigma against things not being boiled down to easily understandable chunks in the Western world, and a lot of the Nasuverse is gonna have to stay in the realm of text. Screaming loudly to beam harder also doesn't translate well.
    That's basically every book to movie film ever.

Again, I don't have the foggiest what you mean by more serious. Arc 1 was the incineration of the human race, Arc 1.5 we get witch trials, mountains of corpses, Arc 2 we're basically wiping out populations so we can hopefully bring back our own world.

If you're suggesting perpetual grimdark, then no, that is definitely not the solution because perpetual grimdark without at least some kind of grim humour or absurdist tendencies is ridiculous, and boring on top of it. Funny antics, waifus and ridiculous events are necessary.
    Well, I referred to it in the previous post already. Character interaction with the world. If the plot is so dire, when is there time to worry about bullshit? And to what end? Isn't it time being burnt?

Grim or tone fitting humor makes sense (the Dark Knight Rises had humor, but it didn't feel off key with the rest of the scenes) and the other one makes sense if we're dealing with side material (the Shinigami Color Books in Bleach come to mind). The problem is having these kinds of antics happen when the end of the world is taking place outside and silly arguments ruining the atmosphere of a battlefield in ruins.

Let's be very frank here, this is the stuff parodies do. Not serious stories.

Let's be honest, if you dealt with world-ending problems for a year plus, you'd start to be a bit flippant as well. It's not as if they're working in a nuclear power plant which has specific instructions on what to do in every concievable scenario. A big part of the problem is that everybody who was actually qualified to deal with this world-ending problem is dead or in an emergency state, and it's just us, Random McDudeface, and a skeleton crew winging it as we go.
    Even then, it would be more reasonable for them to be scared out of their minds, put a nonchalant if bloodthirsty front or otherwise act cool. Seen Zombieland? Even that movie, a comedy, nailed the acting right.

If John Smith is trapped in a dungeon full of skeletons and hungry dogs, he'd either be scared or go medieval on them, not ask if his swimsuit is a few sizes to small or ogle at the girl next to him. That's best left for when there's actual downtime and is treated in a non cardboard construct way.

I didn't specify Hollywood, but maybe I should've specified competent filmmakers.
    Emphasis on how capable they are. A good filmmaker could make anything work. The problem is that anime films never get good film makers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Notes should be adapted as a series of OVAs with no hard set running time, utilizing just as much time as needed to adapt each section.
    I think there was something like this last year? Can't remember the name though.
    I am sure a Netflix format series would do fine.

I wasn't being entirely serious.

Is there enough material for Notes to be more than a 40-ish minute OVA (or two 20-ish minute ones)?

Regarding talented filmmakers, there's a lot you can make work, but you have to make sure the story you tell is suited for the medium you're telling it in. Takashi Miike is a very talented director, yet the Ace Attorney and JoJo movies are ass because it's forcing a live-action medium onto two things that are very much not suited for it. FSN's anime are going to be inferior to the VN because FSN was written in VN format and it's very difficult to translate it to animation without trying to make it into its own thing and almost certainly sacrificing a lot of things that would make fans mad, same for Tsukihime. Steins;Gate didn't run into this problem due to the story being more linear and it being more adaptive to a visual medium. Steins;Gate 0 ran into this problem (and many others) hardcore.
    Last edited by Toa of Gallifrey; October 23rd, 2018 at 12:06 PM.
    tfw no Fate/One

Blog Entries
    unpopular opinion: nothing should ever be adapted
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Unpopular opinion: We should have more adaptations like Fullmetal Alchemist 03 that reinterpret the work into something different yet still offer something of quality.
    tfw no Fate/One

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    I wasn't being entirely serious.

Is there enough material for Notes to be more than a 40-ish minute OVA (or two 20-ish minute ones)?

Regarding talented filmmakers, there's a lot you can make work, but you have to make sure the story you tell is suited for the medium you're telling it in. Takashi Miike is a very talented director, yet the Ace Attorney and JoJo movies are ass because it's forcing a live-action medium onto two things that are very much not suited for it. FSN's anime are going to be inferior to the VN because FSN was written in VN format and it's very difficult to translate it to animation, same for Tsukihime. Steins;Gate didn't run into this problem due to the story being more linear and it being more adaptive to a visual medium. Steins;Gate 0 ran into this problem (and many others) hardcore.
    The issue might be routes and lack of depth, which are also present in adaptations from books. I don't think anyone can argue adapting a VN is harder than adapting a book. JoJo ran into problems because of atmospheric issues (something like JoJo should've been directed by Tim Burton instead) which brings me back to the fact none of the big "I turn shit into masterpieces" A listers was ever hired to direct an anime adaptation.

Pacific Rim might as well have been called A list testbed for Evangelion, since it was living proof NME could easily end in Guillermo del Toro's hands and become a great film trilogy.

On the other hand, you have Meteor/Speed Racer's horrific adaptation that tried to channel the spirit of "Gatsby" and thus ended up immolating itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    unpopular opinion: nothing should ever be adapted
    That's actually a pretty popular opinion.

AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS FANDOM ALONE!

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    If nothing was ever adapted we wouldn't even have Fate in the first place. All those characters but a small handful came from a previous work by someone else or real life (which also can be adapted, of course).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    If nothing was ever adapted we wouldn't even have Fate in the first place.
    Good.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    Tim Burton's JoJo...............

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Good.
    I guess so, since then we wouldn't have met you in the first place.
    Last edited by OverMaster; October 23rd, 2018 at 12:17 PM.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Takashi Miike is a very talented director, yet the Ace Attorney and JoJo movies are ass because it's forcing a live-action medium onto two things that are very much not suited for it.
    Both AA and Jojo were amazing films.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    The issue might be routes and lack of depth, which are also present in adaptations from books. I don't think anyone can argue adapting a VN is harder than adapting a book. JoJo ran into problems because of atmospheric issues (something like JoJo should've been directed by Tim Burton instead) which brings me back to the fact none of the big "I turn shit into masterpieces" A listers was ever hired to direct an anime adaptation.

Pacific Rim might as well have been called A list testbed for Evangelion, since it was living proof NME could easily end in Guillermo del Toro's hands and become a great film trilogy.

On the other hand, you have Meteor/Speed Racer's horrific adaptation that tried to channel the spirit of "Gatsby" and thus ended up immolating itself.

That's actually a pretty popular opinion.

AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS FANDOM ALONE!
    I could've seen an original JoJo part directed by Burton once, but his recent projects have soured me to his future ones. I can see Del Toro handling parts of Evangelion very well, but it's too closely tied to Anno for me to say that another director (or even himself, considering the Rebuilds) can do it as much justice. GitS could've been great if handed to someone more competent, but I can't really see it offering something that '95 or SAC didn't already without crossing over into territory already covered by something else. I'm not trying to say not to make movies if you can't offer something entirely new, but that these films are expensive and I'd rather get original projects instead of adaptations.
    tfw no Fate/One

GunBuster would actually be a more logical adaptation choice than Evangelion.

Well, other than the name recognition. At the end of the day that's all that ultimately matters.