Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Keeps You Invested in Type-MOON?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries

What Keeps You Invested in Type-MOON?

This is where we talk about what we perceive to be the merits of TYPE-MOON, and how we--for now--continue to remain part of this fandom because of (or in spite of) the aspects that are associated with the media these creators/this company produces.

I've done the math and I've been a TYPE-MOON fan for a solid third-and-some-change of my life, and upon this realization I thought to myself "Huh. I wonder why that is?"

Half of the answer is definitely attributed to me being part of the fandom, and by fandom I mean Beast's Lair itself. "I'm a fan because I identify as fan!" Real nice stable loop answer, jackass. But it's certainly true my relationship to that feedback cycle--however diminished it may be in current years, as evidenced by how my post-count's progression has slowed to a glacial crawl--from conversations held by the posters, and works created by said posters and off-site fans had and has gotten me thinking and reevaluating of TYPE-MOON's material, and the sum of the parts of said material. Of course, that doesn't explain why I became and stayed a fan in the first place, and God forbid that I stray any further from the original intent of this OP and put y'all to sleep.

The other half of the answer: Urban/Contemporary Fantasy with a setting that hits on a range of supernatural ideas and mythologies that expands from the far past to the distant future. T-M works also have an engaging power system and an approach to said system that usually makes conflicts that happen in the stories be handled with a generally attention-grabbing and -holding manner. Also, the dripfeed of of dropping hints and introducing concepts that may or may not be expanded upon in future works. Expanding upon new concepts/characters/etc. and reusing established concepts/characters/etc. make the setting feel cohesive even across different continuities. But fights and worldbuilding are for chunni-babbies who like to see things explode and imaginate about stuff, and while I myself am a indeed a chuuni-babby none of the previously mentioned stuff would have the lasting captivation that it does on me if it wasn't populated by some interesting characters that help elevate it all from being a pretty dope-ass Tabletop setting and into-----a story. If I wasn't interested in seeing how these characters are handled within this setting, and if I didn't like some of them A WHOLE WHOLE LOT JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS THIS LEVEL OF FONDNESS????, I probably would've jumped fandom ship years ago (and probably killed myself too, lmao.) Then, once interested in at least some of these characters, am interested in seeing more of them, and seeing them do stuff that may capture my interest. My faves engaging in some whacky hijinks? I'm down, if the hijinks are good and they're written well as they have said hijinks. My faves getting expanded upon? I'm also probably down for that.

This all works together to give an impression that the fantastical sides of these stories truly do take place in their own foreign culture, a realized fictional world, and one alien to contemporary society's sensibilities--and hostile to mundane humans. At least, when done well. Harry Potter's got the Wizard World; TYPE-MOON has the Moonlit World (a fanon colloquialism, but still apropos), and when an author or director is able to realize that Moonlit World feeling it's some seriously engrossing shit, fam. It makes one feel like they're about to embark on a dangerous adventure, and not 100% convinced that they'll (or rather, the narrative-focused characters) will make it through in one piece. Production values, music, and aesthetic make or break this, and its often to the works' favor.

Also, if things don't end up as good as you would've liked them to be, or as bad as you expected them to be, you can always trashtalk 'em on the internet...which also loops back into BL, as a community, helping to facilitate extended engagement with the franchise!

TL;DR - Good setting that can facilitate a great atmosphere, neat magic system with a lot of thought put into it--perhaps too much, depending on who you ask--decent-to-good-to-GREAT characters that facilitate the occurrence of these stories, a steady release of content to catch my interest and fuel my hopes and dreams of more Good Stuff From Some of My Favorite Creators despite T-M being cursed to seemingly always have delays of some sort when it comes to the release of IPs (although I remember back when we were lucky to get one T-M thing a year, those sure were some fucking doldrums, although that did force the fanbase on BL to get real creative about topics and fanwork), and decent memetic potential coupled with a pretty decent, on a whole, fandom make T-M a keeper, IMO.

That wasn't much of a TL;DR but okay
    I like it. It's neat, there're some folks in the stories that I wanna do and/or see cool stuff, and even when T-M stuff is not-so neat there's potential in the future for it to become neat, so I always get pulled back some way or another.

- - - Updated - - -

I had hoped to talk about some specifics, but my post ended up longer than I imagined or hoped it would, so I'd like to maybe do so at a later time!
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Personally, this forum has kept me engaged over my short time in the fandom, and it has encouraged me to actually go and read the source materials when I have time. Also, the way TM hands out info just facilitates furious debate on here and other forums.

Vitriol

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Vitriol
    I think that applies to the internet as a whole, Bugs.

US Friend Code
    I sometimes feel I get product fatigued by TM but ultimately I’m still here is because I just love the series both for its cool and interesting setting and mechanics to how I can feel that the creators are just as invested in the series as the fans and that they take to make it as enjoyable as it can be because that’s how they simply want to make. Also have to thank to forum to being a great opener for the franchise in all its iterations. If it wasn’t for here my experience with fate would have just ended at the anime’s of Zero and Deen Stay Night. So no matter how tired I get from certain things here and there I’m always confident that TM will do something to surprise and keep me interested.

also this series is like a major fix for love of cultures, history and myths. I have always been a big nerd for such things, I just see TM Fate to be the greatest expression of these things done in such a creative way that encourages one to speculate and think. It being done in an anime format is also great.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Memes
    Last edited by Toa of Gallifrey; September 26th, 2018 at 11:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

JP Friend Code
    i’m just distracting myself from acknowledging my own mortality wheeee

Curiosity, I guess.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    I sometimes feel I get product fatigued by TM but ultimately I’m still here is because I just love the series both for its cool and interesting setting and mechanics to how I can feel that the creators are just as invested in the series as the fans and that they take to make it as enjoyable as it can be because that’s how they simply want to make. Also have to thank to forum to being a great opener for the franchise in all its iterations. If it wasn’t for here my experience with fate would have just ended at the anime’s of Zero and Deen Stay Night. So no matter how tired I get from certain things here and there I’m always confident that TM will do something to surprise and keep me interested.

also this series is like a major fix for love of cultures, history and myths. I have always been a big nerd for such things, I just see TM Fate to be the greatest expression of these things done in such a creative way that encourages one to speculate and think. It being done in an anime format is also great.
    Thanks for expressing this far better than I could. While the portrayal of some cultures leaves a little to be desired (mostly India in my view), for the most part it's great.

US Friend Code
    A mix of enjoying the urban fantasy and always being a history/mythology nerd so really liking all the takes on it in Fate. Not as fleshed out as your really good opening post, but that's that.

This forum definitely helps keep me invested too. I'm sure I'd still be a fan if I hadn't ever come by here, but not to the extent I am.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    There's such a wide range of stuff in T-M's portfolio now that if someone deigns to delve into the franchise that you're guaranteed to end up with a favorite character, to a degree of favoredness as it applies to your own individual tastes.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    New stories, new writers, new friends

- - - Updated - - -

the old ones are still great too

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Shit, when you put it like that, I dunno.
    Been following the franchise for so long that it sustains itself on pure momentum, nowadays. Though admittedly of late I've found myself not bothering engaging with it as much as I could or would have in the past (can't be assed to read several of the new works, even the ones that are fully translated). The explosive growth it's undertaken in recent years has something to do with that, I guess.

Still, it's just a setting and a world that hold an undeniable charm to my (deep down) chuuni heart. Heroes of yore, summoned to do battle with each other, sometimes for the fate of the world, others for a selfish wish of their own. What's not to like?

We just need a perspective jump to the Servant universe and I'm all set for the next ten years.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Give us a Character Action game set in the Servant Universe and starring the MHXes and you've got yourself a deal.

JP Friend Code
    I don't consider myself only just a TM fan, I am invested in various other series as well such as SMT, One Piece, Blazblue, Ryu ga Gotoku, etc. But you won't find me on forums of those series talking and discussing them as much as you find me discussing TM stuffs, and I don't know why myself lol. It's probably that I find it much easier and more fun to discuss and talk about TM stuffs with a lot of ppl than the other series, as there are a wider variations of topics I can talk about TM that can last for a very long time compare to the others, especially when old stuffs being brought up again in the story.

Aside from that, I just enjoy the settings, the characters and the stories that come with them, regardless of how many flaws in those.

Also so I think TM fans in general, are much easier to talk to due them not bringing up character powerlvls that often in my face whenever I want to discuss a certain aspect of a character or a particular story. There are still ppl who do that at times but from my personal experience I met less of them compare to, say, One Piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    I don't consider myself only just a TM fan, I am invested in various other series as well such as SMT, One Piece, Blazblue, Ryu ga Gotoku, etc. But you won't find me on forums of those series talking and discussing them as much as you find me discussing TM stuffs, and I don't know why myself lol. It's probably that I find it much easier and more fun to discuss and talk about TM stuffs with a lot of ppl than the other series, as there are a wider variations of topics I can talk about TM that can last for a very long time compare to the others, especially when old stuffs being brought up again in the story.

Aside from that, I just enjoy the settings, the characters and the stories that come with them, regardless of how many flaws in those.

Also so I think TM fans in general, are much easier to talk to due them not bringing up character powerlvls that often in my face whenever I want to discuss a certain aspect of a character or a particular story. There are still ppl who do that at times but from my personal experience I met less of them compare to, say, One Piece.
    Same, and I think part of the reason is that a lot is still up for debate in TM as compared to other series, and things continue to be dropped in an incomplete manner. Besides, the TM fans on here are already those more predisposed to diving deep as opposed to the casuals you see in YouTube comment sections or Reddit or elsewhere. Hell, the reason I came here in the first place was because I was interested in diving deeper and enriching my experience of TM. Now, I'm actually reading the VNs (slowly, but I'm doing it), and seriously considering learning Japanese, something no other anime has made me consider.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    sunk cost fallacy

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I believe most everyone here has at least one other hobby besides TM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Most people found this a bad thing, but I like how TM gradually expand into something bigger and cosmic like Marvel and DC, even though I might not like the direction they choose. The relevations how small out of context dialogue becomes a plot point years later, stuff like that. Since I always a big fan of American comic and shared universe.