16. You may not vote on this poll
  • LN

5 31.25%
  • Anime

11 68.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LN or Anime?

LN or Anime?

So I wanna get into Kara no Kyoukai. Should I watch the anime movies or read the LN? I heard the Kara no Kyoukai LN's are utter dogshit but I the lack of narration might make things confusing like in the Fate/Stay Night. But I don't really know if that's the case wtih Kara no Kyoukai. Which one should I choose?
    やれやれだぜ。。。 - 空条承太郎

The LNs aren't even that long, just do both.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I'm trying to read the first LN. Have yet to get past 10 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    The LNs aren't even that long, just do both.
    Which first?
    やれやれだぜ。。。 - 空条承太郎

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The main issues with the KnK LNs is the two versions you have. The cokesatto one is more readable, but also infamously inaccurate in parts and changes things, like some sections being cut out or narration in parts being made much longer than it originally is. The bakatsuki one is apparently more accurate to the actual text, but is a) translated quite dryly and b) incomplete, up to part 5.

The movies themselves are also considered some of the better TM adaptations, and you can probably just get by watching the movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

I've heard the 6th movie cuts out several important parts though and is just generally bad.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The main discrepancies I've heard about movie 6 are a) the flower, which is apparently in the original novel but was flat out cut out in coke's translation (and that confused people for a long while), and b) the changing of what happened to the schoolgirls. Tbh I haven't really watched 6 though. Movies 1-5 are quite good, anyway, and for part 6 you either have the movie, or the coke translation.

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

I guess I'll try and watch movies 1-5, and then read the Baka-Tsuki LNs. After that, IDK...Maybe that will have to come after I learn Japanese or something.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I've heard the 6th movie cuts out several important parts though and is just generally bad.
    While I won't deny that Movie 6 is the weakest of the bunch due to so much meddling in adaptation, I still stand by my opinion that it's still a solid watch.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    I guess I'll try and watch movies 1-5, and then read the Baka-Tsuki LNs. After that, IDK...Maybe that will have to come after I learn Japanese or something.
    Well, skipping 7 would be... weird. I suppose if you don't want to, you aren't obligated to watch 6? But even if it's not a great adaptation, it's still better than most 40 minute segments of TM anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Movie 6 changes a lot from the LN. It's a bad adaptation. It's not a bad movie.

Or I mean, you could just watch the movies yourself and form your own opinion instead of going through some mixed-medium masterplan based on other peoples' opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Well, skipping 7 would be... weird. I suppose if you don't want to, you aren't obligated to watch 6? But even if it's not a great adaptation, it's still better than most 40 minute segments of TM anime.
    something something knk ended with paradox spiral
    - Nasu
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    well, I agree, but,
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    It's not a bad movie.
    I would argue a bad movie because you don't actually understand why anybody is there and your antagonist just appears to talk shit at Shiki and then leave, neither for a reason.

It's not a bad watch, though, that yeah I'd go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    While I won't deny that Movie 6 is the weakest of the bunch due to so much meddling in adaptation, I still stand by my opinion that it's still a solid watch.
    Maybe, but I'd mostly be watching KnK for the content and all the cool stuff in it originally, and if it's a bad adaptation, then it's bad in my book. It's the reason why after Chamber of Secrets, I think every Harry Potter movie was fucking garbage until Deathly Hallows Part I, and even then, they still kinda sucked because Peeves was cut.

I never said I would skip 7. I just said I don't know what I'd do.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For what it's worth, I still enjoyed reading the coke translation despite its issues.

Blog Entries
    Maybe, but I'd mostly be watching KnK for the content and all the cool stuff in it originally, and if it's a bad adaptation, then it's bad in my book. It's the reason why after Chamber of Secrets, I think every Harry Potter movie was fucking garbage until Deathly Hallows Part I, and even then, they still kinda sucked because Peeves was cut.
    azkaban question mark

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    For what it's worth, I still enjoyed reading the coke translation despite its issues.
    I've never had the pleasure of reading the coke translation.

How bad we talkin' here?
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

azkaban question mark
    Sucked because the Firebolt arc among others was cut out. It's a shame too because that was my favorite HP book.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I've never had the pleasure of reading the coke translation.

How bad we talkin' here?
    JP
    「それが―――どうしたっていうんだ、式」  
    言葉にしてみれば、どうという事はなかった。  
    不思議な事に―――胸を掻き
    むし
    らなければならないほどの不安や焦燥を、私は苦しいとも悲しいとも感じない。  
    不安はある。痛みもある。  
    でもそれは、あくまで両儀式だったものが抱くものだ。  
    私は無感動だ。二年間の死からの蘇生にも興味はない。  
    ただユラユラとここにいる。  
    自分が生きているなんて、とても実感できないままで。

BT
    "But --- so what if it is like that, Shiki?"
    It's really not such a big deal. It's fascinating --- this unsettling feeling and nervousness that makes me grasp my chest, I don't feel that it's either agonizing or sad.
    There's anxiety. There's pain.
    But that's all something the child called Ryougi Shiki is holding onto.
    I'm just apathetic. Even that fact that I've come back to life after two years fails to move me.
    I'm just swaying with the wind and wandering here and there.
    Without being able to feel that I'm actually alive.

COKE
    “And so? What the fuck does it matter?” I mutter to myself with as much conviction as I can muster. And once I’ve said that, I feel less troubled by it. Strangely, this feeling of disquiet and irritation that scratches and pulls at my chest is sort of refreshing, in its own way. There’s anxiety. There’s pain. But those are feelings that the sixteen-year old Shiki still held on to. Me? I’m unimpressed. I don’t know why I’m still alive but I have no intention of looking a gift horse in the mouth. Not like I feel alive in the first place anyway. I’m just here, now; nursing an existence of being adrift on the wind.
    JP
    医師の台詞には、どこか非難がましい響きがあった。彼は私が自分で目を潰そうとした事に迷惑しているのだろ う。昨夜もどうしてそんな事をしたのか問い詰めてきたが、私は答えなかった。

BT
    I get the feeling that there is a sense of reproach mixed somewhere into the doctor's words. He's probably nervous because of my attempt to destroy my own eyes. Last night he kept asking me why I did such a thing; I didn't give him an answer.

COKE
    I detect a tiny hint of rebuke in his words this time. I suppose he’s a bit frustrated with my little attempt to destroy my eyes. He was pretty persistent last night in asking me why I did it, but I couldn’t answer then as well. They’d think I was crazy.
    JP
    質素な着流しの立ち姿は式の撫で肩によく似合っていて、式が歩いているだけで教室が武家屋敷のように思えた ほどだ

BT
    The simple flowing form of the kimono fit Shiki's sloping shoulders so much it made the classroom feel like a samurai-style house just by having Shiki walk through it.

COKE
    At first, that particular wardrobe choice made it seem as if the prime minister himself walked in on the classroom, forcing everyone to silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    Cursed ghost of Dullahan can't hear me over here saying that I'm ok with the Shiki cursing localization