Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger and the Peerless Alchemist (A Matou Shinji Series AU Quest)

Blog Entries
    [X]Astronomy

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X]Astronomy

Hermione, on seeing her schedule, was at once pleased and disappointed. As someone who had enjoyed hearing stories of the stars and the constellations in the sky, Astronomy was by far her favorite subjects, so it was nice to see it on her schedule.

...what was less nice to see was that it was on Thursday, towards the end of the week, and at midnight, instead of a more reasonable time, like 8 or 9 o clock, but she supposed she didn't have a choice as to when her classes would be. Not as a first year anyway.

In the meantime, she had to get through her other classes, like Potions and Herbology - and frankly, she'd never been one for digging in the dirt or doing things in the kitchen when she could be reading instead.

Still, required was required, and she supposed that there was something to be learned from brewing, even if, as Draco mentioned, the class was in a dungeon. With everyone thinking she was related to a Granger who was a potioneer, maybe she should put in more effort into it as well? But then, where should the extra study time come out of?

[ ] Another class' study time
    [ ] Free time - socializing isn't that important
    [ ] Meals

And who does she work with for Potions?

[ ] Draco - He seems friendly enough, and has probably learned things from his godfather
    [ ] Matou - Deep, brooding and intense, he seems like he has a good grounding in arcane magics
    [ ] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood,perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful
    [ ] A dashing copper-haired Gryffindor by the name of Phelan Noel, who seems about as awkward around potions as she feels
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[ ] Another class' study time
    [ ] Draco - He seems friendly enough, and has probably learned things from his godfather

[X] Another class' study time
    [X] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood,perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful

I hate to cut into another class study time but its still better than not socializing or skipping meals (god she would suffer if she did that).

I am inclined to pick Draco for the partner but if we want her to have most people keep assuming she related to the potion Grangers then we need to work with someone that might be able to cover for that as well as already being in the know. Draco can figure out Hermione rather fast in a subject that he knows well when she stumbles in it at first.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So, Ana or Draco?
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood,perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Another class' study time
    [X] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood, perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful

Potions as the first class of the day was not something that sat well with Hermione Granger, mostly because the smells of all the brewing potions and ingredients, following a heavy breakfast, made her slightly nauseous. There were reasons she preferred books to these sorts of classes - books never made made her feel like she was going to throw up, or got her hands messy. Newspapers sometimes did, but she didn't really like those much either.

It didn't help that this was her first time at boarding school, eating around so many people - many of which expected her to be something she wasn't, or talked about Gryffindor as if the house was cursed, given how its members had been involved with one misadventure after another - even nearly getting the school flooded with magical ice on at least one occasion.

"Did that really happen?" Hermione asked, to which she was treated to a fantastical retelling of the Cursed Ice incident by Draco, whose cousin - a Hufflepuff - had counted among her more persistent frenemies a Slytherin by the improbable name of Merula Snyde. According to Draco, the two had quite a few adventures related to a series of Cursed Vaults hidden around the grounds of Hogwarts by powerful magic. "And what is in these vaults?" she pressed, to which Draco admitted he had no idea.

[ ] Ask him for more details about the Vaults and his cousin
    [ ] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story

Hermione and company arrive at Potions early - before Professor Slughorn does. There are about 10 minutes left, what does she want to do in that time?

[ ] Talk to Draco
    [ ] Chat with other Slytherins
    [ ] Chat with Gryffindors
    [ ] Go over her textbook, in case there's a pop quiz

Blog Entries
    [x] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story.

Not sure how Draco feel abouts Tonks here, his "legit" cousins are one thing but the mixed blood?

[x] Chat with other Slytherins.

[x] Talk to Draco
    [x] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story

[x] Chat with other Slytherins. [x] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Draco seems kind of awed by the adventures of Nymphadora Black, and thinks of her almost like a rebellious older sister. She's left quite a legacy.

Online, if people want to discuss.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story.
    [x] Chat with other Slytherins

Of the other first-year Slytherins, Hermione only really knew Ana Spencer and Matou Shinji, as she'd sat with them on the train. There were a number of other names and faces she'd vaguely recognized, and some which she didn't recognize at all - though she imagined these last few must be Gryffindors, since many of them were clustered around a pair of copper-haired twins. The Noels, she thought they were called.

She hadn't been expecting someone approach her though.

"Hello," Hermione said uncertainly.

"Hello!" the other - a bespectacled blonde said brightly. "I don't think we had a chance to talk last night. Hermione, right?"

"...right," the brunette replied, rather taken off guard. "And you are?"

"Selina Moore, at your service," the blonde answered, dropping into a curtsy. "Did I hear correctly that you were descended from a great potioneer?"

"That's what Professor Slughorn said," Hermione related, which was true. "But who I'm related to doesn't mean much, if I can't do anything myself."

"Wise words," the blonde said approvingly. "Not many understand them, in my experience."

"And what is your experience."

"Oh, I'm an adventurer - I've explored strange and forbidden realms with my brother and his friends," Selina replied.

"And your parents didn't mind?"

"They were often away on...business, and so my brother was often the one taking care of me," the blonde said with a slight smile. "It wasn't too bad - there was always someone around, even if my brothers friends weren't always the smartest."

"Oh?"

"There was once that one of them attacked a gazebo, thinking it was a strange monster."

"...you're kidding."

"I only wish I was," Selina shrugged. "Still beats one of them getting bored and casting a magic missile at the darkness."

"You mean, something in the darkness?" Hermione clarified. "A monster or something?"

"No...just at darkness."

"What."

"That's what I said!"

Hermione found herself mentally reassessing the sanity of wizards and witches, and wondering if many people turned out that way. She'd have to ask Lord Black about what people got off to, she supposed.

Before she could say more though, Professor Slughorn walked in, asking some questions about the properties of things like Wolfsbane and Mandrake, with a few of the students knowing the answers, but some having no idea at all.

"About what I expected," the man said when he finished. "Well, I've worked with worst. Now, I'm not a Ravenclaw, but it has always occurred to me that knowledge is power. Oh, power is power, true, but knowledge all the more so. And in this class, I am here to give you the knowledge you need to tap into the power all around in - the power in nature, in plants, in animals, in very earth. Potions, you see, may not be full of flash and vigor, but it is the most interesting and subtle of the arts. With potions, you can bewitch the mind, cheat death, even..." he produced a vial of golden liquid. "...turn chance into certainty." He paused. "Can anyone name the potion I am holding?"

Of the group, only Draco raised his hand.

"Yes?"

"That is Felix Felicis, sir," the Slytherin boy said respectfully. "Said to be the most difficult potion to brew in the entire world."

"Yes. And do you know what it does?"

"Yes, sir. For a time after you drink it, everything you do will be successful."

There was a stir from the rest of the class as Slughorn nodded.

"Indeed. I expected great things out of you, Mister Malfoy, with who your godfather is and all, and I am glad to see I was not wrong," the man stated. "As an incentive for you to work hard, the top pair in this class at the end of the term will receive one vial of this exquisite brew for you to do as you wish." He chuckled as he pocketed the potion. "Of course, it takes a long time before one learns to brew on that level, so this week, we are learning to brew something simple - the Wiggenweld potion, which can heal you of minor injuries or awaken you from magical sleep." He smiled slightly. "After all, it may come to pass that you injure yourself, and you wouldn't want to go to the infirmary for every little thing. For today, form pairs and do a bit of reading - you'll want to know what you're getting into before you begin brewing."

With that he dismissed them to go and get to the work of forming pairs.

"Oh, not you, Mister Malfoy - you already know this potion," the older man stated, cutting the boy off as he was about to ask Hermione if she wanted to work together. "So I'd like you to help me brew enough sleeping potion for the class, so we can test everyone's Wiggenwelds at the end of the week."

"...yes, sir," Draco replied softly.

"Well, don't just stand there. I want to see people talking, books open, and the like. Be creative and don't be afraid to ask for help - you're making a healing potion, and I'd rather not have to answer uncomfortable questions from Madam Pomfrey about why we had to send someone to St. Mungo's, hm?"

How does Hermione approach working with Ana Spencer?

[ ] Asking what the other suggests
    [ ] Aggressively, since she's read the book and knows what to do
    [ ] (write-in)

And the next class is Herbology with Ravenclaw - who does Hermione wish to work with?

[ ] Draco
    [ ] Ana
    [ ] Selina
    [ ] One of the Ravenclaws
    [ ] (write-in)

Blog Entries
    [X] Asking what the other suggests

Fine. But still, Library!

[x] Selina.

She seems sane compared to other wizards.
    Last edited by Daiki; November 11th, 2018 at 10:06 PM.

[X] Asking what the other suggests

Library would be my first pick if this was anyone other than Hermione. Her personality is not going to consider another source as valid if it conflicts with the class approved book. If we want her to change from this then we need to get her more open, which I think Ana has the best bet here since she is far more knowledgeable about the wizard world.

[X] One of the Ravenclaws

Really any of the choices work for me for this one but given that this is like the one class that Hermione will share with ravenclaw it is a rare oppertunity for Hermione to interact with Ravenclaws on any real level.

[X] Asking what the other suggests [x] Draco

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No agreement on who to work with, I see.

Blog Entries
    Swap for [x] One of the Ravenclaws.

Let's move forward.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Method: [x] Asking what the other suggests
    Herbology: [X] One of the Ravenclaws

If she was being perfectly honest, Hermione Granger would have preferred working with Draco, since he was such a friendly boy, but since he wasn't an option, she supposed the best option was Ana Spencer, assuming she wasn't going to spend time with that mysterious, brooding boy from the east. But it appeared that the brooding boy's attention had been caught by the pretty, spritely Selina in a way that boys had never really noticed her.

'She's prettier than I am,' the girl realized vaguely, though that in and of itself didn't bother her. It was the fact that Selina, as an explorer of long-forgotten realms, who had grown up with magic, might actually be more knowledgeable than her about...things. For as long as she remembered, she'd always been the smart one - the knowledgeable one - the one who knew more than others. Even if it had hurt to be teased for being a know-it-all or a bookworm, she'd worn considered being the bright one as a point of pride.

...except now, she was not only plain, but no longer the cleverest or most knowledgeable person in the room. Keeping that in mind, she made her way over to Ana, who was looking her way, as if the other girl had expected this turn of events.

"W-would you want to work together?" Hermione asked, before she lost her nerve.

"I wouldn't mind," Ana Spencer said with an appraising look. "You've read all the books for the year, you said?" she questioned.

"I have," Hermione confirmed, but was confused. "Why do you ask?"

"Because just following the instructions won't lead to the best potion."

"B-but why? It's in the book, isn't it? Professor Slughorn assigned us that book for a reason!" Hermione sputtered.

"Yes, and the reason is that the book is good for people new to potions - it simplifies things so first-years and others new to potions can understand them, just like Muggle textbooks tell us that the sky is blue because of refraction," Ana explained, glancing over at where Draco was cracking open a tome that was decidedly not Magical Drafts and Potions.

"...
    it...it's not refraction?" Hermione asked uneasily. "But all the books..."

"It's a convenient explanation that works well enough for what you know," Ana pressed. "You've seen light bend when it passes through through a prism or a glass of water, so it makes sense to you. It's wrong - but explaining what is actually happening would be too much for what you know."

"Huh?"

"Well, here's another thing - what color is the sky at night?" Ana questioned. "Let's say...when the moon is out?"

"It's black," Hermione answered, perplexed that the other girl was asking her such a thing - then wondering if that was the point - if the answer she knew so well wrong. "...isn't it?"

"No, it's blue."

"But that's--"

"Have you walked into a room at night before, where the colors seem muted because there's not enough light? Or has something colorful in the day - like a car - ever seemed not so colorful at night?"

Hermione nodded slowly. She did indeed remember such a thing - the refrigerator at her parents' house was a garish shade of yellow - yet by night, it seemed more a pale grey than anything else.

"And did the actual color change?" Ana asked reasonably.

Hermione shook her head. It just looked--

'Oh....'

And then it hit her what the other girl was talking about.

"The true color of the car doesn't change, so why would the color of the sky?" Ana asked reasonably.

"...oh," Hermione repeated. It was the only thing she could say, as her eyes widened. She'd...she'd never made that connection before. "Is it just...too dark for us to see the real color?"

"That's right," Ana said warmly. "Now, I don't mind if you want to read through the basics again, if you're not up for the challenge of reading something new..."

"No!" Hermione exclaimed, almost insulted by the insinuation that she might not be smart enough to understand a new book. "I mean, no, of course I don't mind looking at something new. I want to know the truth, not just what's convenient!"

"I thought not," Ana remarked, the corners of her lips pulling upwards into a thin smile as she produced another book titled Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle! "In that case, I think this book is a good place to start. Take it - I've memorized it already."

Hermione blinked.

"What. But why?"

"Well, you know, just as muggles like to drink now and again, so do wizards - so this book has some helpful recipes for things that will get people up and moving again after a night of revels. There are more ways to put someone to sleep than just the sleeping draught, after all."

"Oh."

"So, let's look though the recipe and compare it to the one in our textbook, and then afterwards, we can go to the library to see why there might be differences. Will that work for you?"

"...yes."

Gained a copy of Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle!!!

After her experience in Potions, Hermione thought it would be good to work with a different group of people in Herbology, since while she appreciated the gift of a book from Ana, she was feeling rather sore about her lack of knowledge of the world being rubbed in her face. Of course, if Ravenclaw was the house of the knowledgeable - she might be making a mistake, but it couldn't hurt to try working with someone who was obviously not from here.

Someone like the purple-haired...what had people called her...metamorphmagus? Then again, Draco would probably be upset, since he'd seemed sore about this Sokaris pulling away his old friends and acquaintances.

If not her though, who?

[ ] Sialim Sokaris
    [ ] A Chinese girl who reminded her of someone she used to know
    [ ] One of the Indian Twins (are there twins in every house?!)
    [ ] Pansy Parkinson, who Draco pointed out as being one of the "defectors"
    [ ] (write-in)

Blog Entries
    I don't mind which is it is as long as we don't alienate Draco, really.

[x]
    One of the Indian Twins.