Thread: Onigokko (Survival Quest)

Onigokko (Survival Quest)

Some writing to get in the mood until I can get back to proper GMing, next week.

-------

1. Starting Over

It's been four months since I moved back to Fuyuki.

It was quite difficult at first, having to abandon everything to look after a relative. As kindhearted as I am, I had hoped to remain distant from my family enough to build a life of my own. After my mother fell terribly ill, however, I was the only one of her sons who didn't have a firm excuse not to go to her aid and so, urged by everyone else, I gave in and reluctantly returned to the city where I was born. Twenty-five already and having deserted university studies, I found myself in a pinch: I couldn't find any familiar face and money was scarce. I needed a job, so I applied for a bartender position at a local bar. The truth is, I didn't have the courage to be a bartender, but I went to the interview anyways because I really needed the money.

That was possibly the best decision I've ever taken.

The girl in charge saw right through me and with an apologetic smile told me, after half an hour, that I wasn't cut for it. But, right as I was about to leave, she stopped me, and informed me of a vacant at Homurahara Gakuen. Naturally, I was confused and I dismissed the offer out of pure instinct. If, supposedly, I couldn't handle myself as a bartender, how I was supposed to handle a bunch of teenagers? With a few more years under my belt, sure, I could probably make them respect me, but with twenty five? It would be like painting a target on my back... Let alone the fact that I was not certified to be a teacher, so I couldn't see any reason why they would want to hire me either.

In spite of the storm of thoughts raging inside my head, I was at Homurahara three days later, waiting outside the headmaster's office with a nervous look on my face. I still remember being welcomed with a warm smile. I had hoped the headmaster wouldn't recognize me, but I sure wasn't that lucky. It had only been a few years since I graduated from the same school and I had been the best of my class so...

Mr. Ninomiya most defining features had always been his big mustache and his short height, and after pulling up some weight that year, his image almost seemed to fit a stereotype. When I presented him with my C.V., he waved his hand in response, claiming that such thing wouldn't be necessary. He explained that from what he already knew about me, and the details "Gin", the girl who interviewed me that other night, he already had all the information about me that was needed. He went straight to the point and told me I was hired.

Back then, I didn't even pause to think why I was the only one applying for the job that day.

I honestly didn't care. I was just happy knowing I would be paid enough to live decently. It didn't need to be said that I wouldn't be earning as much as other certified teachers and that my contract was merely temporary, but it was a solution to my problems. And, the headmaster promised that, If I did well, I would eventually be given a permanent position-!

Yeah, things were starting to look up for me.

Little did I know that, as a teacher, I would put in charge of the most problematic class that institution had to offer.

The DOU, or "Drop-Out Unit", as some people still call it.

-------

Character Creation

1. Before coming to Fuyuki, I was studying to become a:

a. Doctor. Ultimately, I didn't get too far, but I have learned things that could come handy in times of emergency.
    b. Defense Attorney. In learning how to stand up for someone who cannot, I've learned how to defend myself with words, as well.
    c. Police Officer. I don't have a badge, I don't have a gun, but I've received some basic training, so I am in good shape and I have an easier time incapacitating others.

2. When it comes to solving problems within the classroom, I am the kind of teacher that:

a. Likes to nip them in the bud, before they spread and affect others. I follow my instincts and act quickly. That way, I make sure everyone follows the rules.
    b. Likes to take their time to analyze the situation at hand, sometimes even going beyond their duties. I am careful and understanding. I am not here to teach manners, if possible, I'd like to solve the "real problem".
    c. Doesn't really say I pay much attention to them. I won't bother to act unless I am given no choice but to do it. All I want to do is "survive".

3. There was this one time where I went out of the way to help one of my students, wasn't there?

a. Yeah. I helped a female student overcome her problem with drugs.
    b. Yeah. I once found myself involved in a street fight because of a male student.
    c. Yeah. I gave a second chance to a secluded male student, integrating him into the group.
    d. ... Nah. Must be misremembering.

4. Regarding the occult:

a. I don't really believe in it. I don't think "Magic" or the like, exists.
    b. I don't think I'll ever see something on that level, but there might be stuff out there that goes beyond human understanding.
    c. I actually keep it under wraps, but I am a big fan of the occult. I follow internet articles and collect ominous items, but i am incapable of performing real "Magic".

5. Overall, I consider myself:

a. A good person. I care about myself, but I also care about others.
    b. A wise person. I am flexible and can easily adapt to the situation at hand. Only "facts" determine what the "right choice" is.
    c. A bad person. I haven't done anything extraordinarily wrong, but I am not proud of the way I do things sometimes. Under pressure, I can be more selfish than the norm.

Extra: Our protagonist also needs a face and a name. He's Japanese.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So wait, since this is Fuyuki are we playing a teacher who somehow gets caught up in a Holy Grail War? In any case, here's my picks.

C- Police Officer
    B-
    Takes time to analyze the situation
    A- Female student
    C- Fan of the occult
    A​- A good person.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    C - Police Officer
    B - Careful & Understanding
    B - Helped Female Student
    B - Mild Skepticism
    B - Wise
    Last edited by SleepMode; October 3rd, 2018 at 10:55 AM.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    1. A - Doctor
    2. B - Careful and Understanding
    3. A - Helped a female student
    4. B - Mild Skepticism
    5. A - A Good Person
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    1.) A
    2.) B
    3.) B
    4.) B
    5.) B
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

A tiebreaker (from a new participant) for the choices listed below is needed. Deadline in 2 hs from now. If no tiebreaker presents itself, it will be decided via coin toss.

The voting for other choices is now locked.

-------

1. Before coming to Fuyuki, I was studying to become a:

a. Doctor. Ultimately, I didn't get too far, but I have learned things that could come handy in times of emergency.
    c. Police Officer. I don't have a badge, I don't have a gun, but I've received some basic training, so I am in good shape and I have an easier time incapacitating others.

5. Overall, I consider myself:

a. A good person. I care about myself, but I also care about others.
    b. A wise person. I am flexible and can easily adapt to the situation at hand. Only "facts" determine what the "right choice" is.
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    1.) a
    5.) b

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Tsuji Kazuma
    Homurahara High - Classroom

It's been four months since I became the teacher of this special class, the infamous Drop-out Unit.

Each student here has been, at some point in time and for one reason or another, a few steps away from being expelled from this institution. We're talking about serious cases of violence, drug abuse, and even blackmail. Save one student who is here for his lack of attendance, I don't think I've met anyone so deep in trouble as the teenagers that share this classroom with me. We go over a lot of subjects, from English to Math. Naturally, the contents are not in-depth, the point of this special class is not to learn at the same rate as other students do, but rather gather all the problematic figures in one place, away from the normal student base. We have classes during the evening, at the same time as most club activities. It's a rather short daily experience, but I feel that with each class, I get closer and closer to my students. I feel like I am finally being acknowledged by some.

"Tch. For real? Stupid rain is going to ruin my plans again..."

The one to complain out of nowhere is Shinko Koutaro. He's a rather troublesome individual who doesn't like to follow orders. He always sits at the front and isn't afraid to raise his voice if you do as much as disturb the peace of his "empire". At first glance, you would think he's the kind of punk who barks a lot but rarely bites. His dyed hair and the multiple accessories he wears certainly give the impression that he's just there to draw the attention to himself. But I can tell you that his craving for attention is the least of his problems. He is the leader of a gang who likes to damage and vandalize property that does not belong to them, the school itself included. There are some rumors that he might have been involved in the murder of an innocent man, a year ago. So yeah, definitely not an angel. It hurts to admit but... Being not that good of a fighter myself, I am somewhat scared of what's he's capable of.

"Hmm... You've got a point, Shinko. The storm doesn't seem to be letting up. Perhaps it would be wise for us to stay here a bit longer, until the weather improves."

Putting the piece of chalk back where it belongs, I conclude today's lesson. I am quite used to Shinko's interruptions by this point, and so I've learned that a good choice of words is usually what's needed to keep him calm. A normal teacher would ask him to shut up, but personal experience has taught me that only incites him to draw the class' attention to himself more. I can't really say that I have him under control at all times, but I am making progress, one step at a time.

"I don't really mind. It's not like I have anywhere else to be right now."

As he speaks, Kimura Tooru keeps his eyes focused on the cellphone hidden beneath his desk. He's the one student who hasn't really done much wrong, yet shows so little interest in reality that it can be frustrating to talk to him at times. He's still young, but he lives alone. I don't know the details, but it was hard enough to convince him to put some serious effort and not leave the school on his own accord. I want to find the way to integrate him into the group, but no visible opportunity has presented itself yet.

Well, I have something really corny in mind, but I am not sure if it's going to work out yet.

"Say, Sensei, maybe we could try 'that' out? Halloween might be in a few days, but I don't think we'll get a more immersive atmosphere than this."

Ah, this girl continues to read my mind.

Soga Akane is the best student I have. A role-model who always gives everyone her support and acts like a real class president would. It wasn't always like this, though. At first, her attitude was defiant like Shinko's and her appearance was much different that it is today. I could tell that she was a good girl hanging with the wrong crowd. When drugs are involved, the victim is usually part of a circle they cannot leave on their own. That was the case with Soga. When I found out what was happening, I decided to intervene, putting my own life at risk as the cost. It was an adventure worth telling you, but I'll save it for another time. The thing is, her transformation since back then has left me speechless. She's my pride.

If only I could trigger similar changes in the rest of the class, I would be absolutely delighted.

"Is this something spooky? Then count me in."

Akiyama Sachiko. Sometimes, she scares me in a way that Shinko cannot. Out of all the students present, she's the brightest in terms of intelligence. In fact, the reason why she's here hasn't even been confirmed and it is rumored she might be sent back to normal classes if the student council doesn't present more evidence to support the severe accusations they have thrown at her. I don't know for sure if she was involved in all those cases of blackmail across the city or not but...

From time to time, she smiles to herself like a true devil would...

"Well, if everyone is okay with it, we should give it a go. But first, let's move the desks. We need a big space in the center to do this. We'll also need to borrow some candles. I'm sure the janitor has a few in his closet."

Some show curiosity, others are rather reluctant to see this thing through.

The rest is confused as things seem to move too fast for them to understand. Well, the clues I've given should be enough to give away what we're going to do. It's a good thing the school-building is empty at this time, otherwise, such activity might been seen as controversial and not allowed.

Well, the idea is for everyone to work together.

1. I should:

a) Explain what this is all about. If we're going to do this, I want everyone to be on the same page.
    b) Help move desks around. We can't start if we don't have free space to prepare 'that'. Besides, I am a man. I should help with this kind of things.
    c) Go get the candles from the janitor's office myself. If I leave them alone, it might help me see how they interact when they are not around. Maybe that'll improve the relationships within the group.
    d) Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. I could either help with the desks or go get the candles [pick one], while I have Akane explain the rest what the plan is. After all, this whole thing was her idea, not mine.
    e) [Write in]

-------

A/N: There are more students in the class. There are nine people total in the room. The ones described are just those that stand out.

Status

Name: Tsuji Kazuma
    Race: Normal Human.
    Alignment: Neutral

Attributes

HP: 100 (If it drops to 0, you are dead. Note that while a numeric system is used, damage is realistic. You won't necessarily be safe from crippling wounds by keeping your HP pool high.)
    MP: 0 (used to activate supernatural abilities. Sealed.)

Strength: 13 (Measure of Physical Strength. How much a character can carry, how easy it is for them to break from physical bindings. Helps determine physical damage.)
    Defense: 10 (Measure of Physical Defense. Determines how much a beating your character can take, resistance to status ailments, etc. Has an impact on HP pool.)
    Mana: - (Measure of Supernatural Power. Helps determine MP pool. Currently sealed.)
    Agility: 14 (How fast and nimble the character is. Useful for landing hits or running away.)
    Evasion: 10 (Solely used to avoid damage in combat via dodge. Even if the enemy lands a hit, it might be possible to reduce damage.)
    Magic Defense: 5 (Measure of Magical Defense. Pretty rare amongst normal humans, but...)
    Willpower: 12 (Measure of your determination to live. It constantly increases or decreases depending on the decisions you make. If it drops to 0, it's game over.)
    Sanity: 16 (Measure of your mental health. It constantly increases or decreases depending on the decisions you make. The lower your sanity, the farther you are from being considered "human". If it drops to 0...)

Skills

Good Karma: 0
    Evil Karma: 0

A Neutral Character can gain both Good Karma and Evil Karma, as opposed to Good and Evil characters, who can only get Karma of their respective type. Neutral characters also do not lose Karma. However, the rate at which they earn Karma is significantly lower than other types. Good and Evil Karma points are obtained after making critical moral choices and points earned can be used to purchase different Karma abilities at the Karma Shop, which appears from time to time during the campaign.
    Medic (3 Good Karma)
    Passive Ability. Augments the effect of first aid and healing related actions or abilities. Applicable only when used on someone rather than oneself.

Perks

Current AP: 0

Ability Points are used to purchase perks to improve your character. Their effects are often stronger than that of Karma abilities. To gain AP, a character must face adversity and become stronger. So, while Karma Points are gained through decision making, AP is gained after completing arduous challenges or defeating enemies. It works like Experience in a videogame.
    Anatomy (25 AP)
    For one reason or another, you possess extensive knowledge when it comes to the workings of the body. Provides slight modifiers in combat. Furthermore, when taking the time to study a fallen opponent, it is possible to obtain information which would be useful in future confrontations. If one takes the time to extensively study an enemy, it is even possible to gain an affinity against said monster type.
    Last edited by hero; October 3rd, 2018 at 05:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    D.) Help with the desks.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Wait, a spooky ritual near Halloween night in a survival (possibly horror) quest? We'd better not pull some demon summoning ritual and get the whole class dragged into a hell dimension or something...

In any case, I'll second Airen's choice of D. It seems like the most expedient for moving things along.

Blog Entries
    D: Help Clear the Desks

Now Revamped!

Tsuji Kazuma
    Homurahara High - Classroom

"Alright. I'll help you guys. Let's get these desks out of the way."

Already feeling ten years younger, I carefully begin to move the desks around. However, much to my surprise, the aid that should be coming from the rest of the boys is nowhere to be seen. Kimura is already leaning against the wall, lazily, wearing this 'Don't look at me, I've not the kind of guy for this job' expression on his face... C'mon! you don't even need to be physically strong to pull this off-! I glare at him for a few moments until he finally gives in and joins the effort. Meanwhile, Shinko...

"Then I suppose I'll go get the candles."

---Is making a bad attempt at trying to flee from the classroom.

"Oh no, you don't."

The last person I want to send there is him. If I do, I fear he might not come back... And I definitely don't want to waste time looking for him. This is an opportunity to do something together... I can't let anything ruin it. Let's see... If I am going to stay here, then the person most suited for this task should be...

"Akiyama, I'll be counting on you."

Sachiko is under "probation", so I am certain she won't escape nor take any detours on the way to the Janitor's Office.

As she goes fetch the candles, Kimura, Shinko and me -with the help of a few other students, as well- work to move all the desks to the edges of the classroom, drawing a circle in the center where we'll all then gather. It would be easier and faster if I allowed them to simply slide them to the desired position, but that would make a lot of noise, and I want Soga's voice to be heard, so I ask for everyone to lift the desks as they move them instead.

"Today we'll be exploring one of Fuyuki's oldest and most popular urban legends. Have you heard it...? The tale of the Seven Warriors from Hell...?"

The lights are still on, but her voice has the perfect tone to fill the classroom with suspense. If I remember correctly, she has plans to become an actor in the future. I see she's making progress. For a moment, everyone pauses and looks at Soga Akane, some curious, some wary. Then as she's about open her mouth to say some more, the light goes off for real, leaving everyone speechless.

"Oh... So that's what it is." Seemingly unaffected by the tension-filled atmosphere, Akiyama Sachiko makes her return. "Then hold the explanation right there. Let's prepare the stage first."

-------

What started as a gentle rain has transitioned into an intense downpour. Outside, the sound of falling water merges with the clap of thunder and the whistle of a strong wind. This evening, Fuyuki is in the center of an unusual, unexpected, heavy lightning storm. The windows struggles to keep the natural disaster away from the classroom, and from time to time, one gets the impression that the glass they are made of does not have the strength necessary to do so, and may give out at any time.

"Ten years ago, a fire engulfed this city and claimed several lives. No one knows what caused it or how it spread so quickly. But... There were some who connected it to the disappearance of a countless amount of children, several of which were later found dead, seemingly having been used as a sacrifice for some strange ritual."

Soga continues her story by the candlelight. With the lights gone and the curtains closed, the only thing that prevents the room being clad in darkness is that sole source of fire. Combine this fact with the storm outside and Akane's voice acting, and the narration becomes truly immersive. Even I can't help but feel a little intimidated. The story didn't sound as dark as it sounds now when I first heard it from her... I hope this isn't too much for the rest to take.

"So... Are you saying that the children were a sacrifice to conjure said great fire?"

Naturally, Shinko Koutaro can't keep his mouth shut, much less when the voice in his head tells him there is something strange with this tale... And with the ritual we are about to perform.

"I'm sorry, but does that mean we'll try to immolate ourselves or somethin'? Cause, I am saying no to that. Teach, what the hell?"

Earlier, Akiyama helped us in drawing a big summoning circle, so I can see what Shinko is getting at. I shake my head, trying to reassure him.

"It's just a story... We won't do something like that. Just... Keep listening, okay?"

Understanding this is her cue to proceed, Akane continues with the tale.

"Nobody knows for sure. But there are rumors that both of them are the aftermath of a secret grudge between spirits. Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Acedia, Wrath, Envy, Pride, and Vanity. Seven embodiments of sin resurrected to wage an unholy war amongst themselves, all for the sake of a single wish. Moreover, earlier this year, experts on the topic have been discussing how the recent news about mysterious gas leak explosions could be related to me."

"... Sounds like a lame internet story to me. Hell, I can even tell those words aren't even yours. Do you have any sort of evidence for this?"

Way to kill the mood, Kimura...

Still, it seems Akane hasn't given up yet.

"Well... I only managed to get my hands on the rough blueprint of a 'summoning circle'. It's not much, but at the same time, it's the perfect tool to see if this, one of Fuyuki's oldest urban legends, is real or not. Tonight, we're summoning a spirit of sin-!"

Note to self, make this a-one-time-a-year-thing. I don't want to create a Satanist cult.

"Then these might come handy."

Akiyama hands me some a good number of strange looking accessories with inscriptions on them.

"These are... protective charms...?"

"Yeah, the Janitor had some next to the candles."

Ah, I see. If I remember correctly, the janitor is affiliated with the people at the Ryuudouji Temple.

Good call, Akiyama-!

"I guess some extra care wouldn't hurt. I'll be handing them out, then."

But soon, a problem surfaces.

"Ah..."

There aren't enough protective charms for all of us.

I have three protective charms, but five people without them, myself included.

I mean, I doubt we'll summon some vengeful spirit from hell, so this shouldn't be too critical of a choice.

... Right?

1. Thinking of those who might "need" it the most, I:

a) Give Akane, Koutarou and Sachiko a protective charm. Tooru appears to be the most skeptical of the four.
    b) Give Akane, Sachiko and Tooru a protective charm. I have the impression Koutarou finds these stories actually scary. Let's see his reaction.
    c) I... Actually fear I might need some protection myself. Let's keep one to myself and hand out the other two at random.
    d) Give them all a scare. Keep all three to myself.
    e) [Write In]

Blog Entries
    So it looks like we're going to be summoning a Servant of some sort huh? I wonder if it'll end up contracted just to us or the entire class somehow... Anyways, my vote is B.

Blog Entries
    A
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    A

Now Revamped!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Better late than never A

Blog Entries
    C
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.