Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollow World ~ Owari no Kakera [OOC]

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not entirely sure on how Auxiliary-Type COMPS work. Are their Auto-Skills constantly active from the start of combat, or can they be manually invoked like spells? And in the case of a COMP with a versatile power like telekinesis, would its effects have to be limited entirely to the two Auto-Skills, or would there be a certain amount of "wiggle room" in what it can be used for as long as it fits under the basis of the powerset?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions here. I'm just curious how all this works.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    An Auxiliary-COMPs 'power' is in the bounded field they create around themselves and the user, they're normally defensive, but offensive variants do exist. If you had telekinesis as an Auto-Skill then you could only invoke it on targets within that bounded field, (likely wouldn't work directly on powerful targets due to auto skills being somewhat weaker than spells) but it could certainly be a 'right' you 'invoke' while inside of that field.

As an example following the telekinesis train of thought, you could have one auto-skill that allows general TK of things inside of the field, while having another that automatically tracks people inside of the bounded field while they're inside of it (to avoid ambushes/nothing personal kid.) Since you know where they are at all times through the second auto-skill while they're in the field, you could attack them (throw things) through the first regardless of whether or not you can physically see them, you see?

Of course they can avoid this by just getting out of your range or powering through it, but I digress.

The wiggle room aspect of the question would depend entirely on what you mean by that, the bounded field's effects derive from the two auto skills, but as long as you could logically do something through those skills I'd allow it.

Just remember that spells > auto skills in power 99% of the time. Auto-skills are best served as support abilities for the user in some sense.
    Last edited by Airen; October 5th, 2018 at 07:57 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Airen View Post
    An Auxiliary-COMPs 'power' is in the bounded field they create around themselves and the user, they're normally defensive, but offensive variants do exist. If you had telekinesis as an Auto-Skill then you could only invoke it on targets within that bounded field, (likely wouldn't work directly on powerful targets due to auto skills being somewhat weaker than spells) but it could certainly be a 'right' you 'invoke' while inside of that field.

As an example following the telekinesis train of thought, you could have one auto-skill that allows general TK of things inside of the field, while having another that automatically tracks people inside of the bounded field while they're inside of it (to avoid ambushes/nothing personal kid.) Since you know where they are at all times through the second auto-skill while they're in the field, you could attack them (throw things) through the first regardless of whether or not you can physically see them, you see?

Of course they can avoid this by just getting out of your range or powering through it, but I digress.

The wiggle room aspect of the question would depend entirely on what you mean by that, the bounded field's effects derive from the two auto skills, but as long as you could logically do something through those skills I'd allow it.

Just remember that spells > auto skills in power 99% of the time. Auto-skills are best served as support abilities for the user in some sense.
    I think I mostly understand now. Thanks again Airen!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Dang, just saw this so I might be a little behind. Work isn't kicking my ass anymore so I should be able to get a sheet in.

Blog Entries
    I might have to drop this one. The premise sounds cool as hell and I'd love to participate in an RP, but my creative juices just aren't flowing as of late and I have a few things to deal with IRL. Will keep you guys posted, I guess. And if I do end up not submitting anything, sorry for wasting your time with all those questions before. Hopefully they can at least be helpful in clarifying things for other would-be participants.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Airen View Post
    EDIT: If among these other prodigies you have a soul of a certain strength level, you get tested to see if you can use a COMP without suffering severe physical and spiritual backlash; if you can, you get thrown into Squad Zero.
    So, a… COMPatibility test?
    Badum KSH!
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    I've had a couple requests for extending the deadline a bit.

I'll bump it up to the 20th. Should be plenty of time.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Amusing Notes

1.) Just as I secretly wished for an ongoing joke, everyone has a different name for their flash-step. To put aside any doubt, a vanilla flash-step would in fact be considered a D-Rank Spell in most cases.
    2.) Women are the most popular gender. (Naturally.)
    3.) Weapon-Type COMPs are most popular, Auxiliary second, Armor is the current unfavorite.
    4.) Modifying the COMP through the perks is a popular route. (Not a bad choice, all things considered.)
    5.) Everyone somehow 'mained' different elements, which is kinda amazing; although some thought should perhaps be given to spreading out more in elements (as high Resistances can be game-changing if you're a bit too specialized)
    6.) AGI reigns supreme.

Think Tang and Pala are the only finished sheets I have, but I have looked at all of the ones PM'd at me so far.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Lore Time

Vengeful Spirits and the Reimyaku

The Reimyaku (Spirit Pulse) is a sea of souls that (seemingly) exists within the core of Planet Earth. When people die their souls retreat to that place, where their memories are recorded and cleansed, and the then 'blank' soul is eventually reincarnated as someone else in the future. This is the normal flow of things, however, those who die with lingering regrets, or feeling a particularly strong negative emotion, such as hatred or fear, cannot see the Reimyaku, and thus cannot (or will not) return to it. These souls wander amongst the living, and if left alone long enough, become twisted by either their own negative emotions or the emotions of the people around them, and begin to act aggressively towards humans. (Throw things, push people down stairs, etc.)

These angry spirits draw weaker spirits to themselves and assimilate them into an ever growing mass, and eventually things that resemble monsters in both appearance and ability are born from the unions. These spirits are dangerous and will kill or possess humans, thus creating more spirits, who will then be absorbed or become malevolent, and so on, and so on.

A vicious cycle.

It is important to note that spirits cannot be seen by normal humans. Things they cause are often labeled as “accidents” officially, and even a few natural disasters such as earthquakes, are not always because of natural causes, but are actually the result of thousands of spirits shaking the landscape in a (mostly futile) attempt to murder everyone on it.

The amount of spirits making up the Kyuubi was not possible to directly measure, but it is known as one of many manifestations of Humanity's Negativity, and thus it is safe to think of it as a twisted monster born from all of humanity's negativity. Does not actually have a set form, the closest thing to a true form would be a "writhing sea of mud and curses." The reason it took the form of a Fox is due to manifesting initially in Japan through weak points in their lands leylines, and thus calling upon the land's memory of a "Beast of Destruction."

While youkai resemble monsters and can even imitate the powers and appearances of demons, they are ultimately still masses of human souls that are simply "playing a role" that they instinctively associate with harming other humans, and do not have a singular will of their own in most cases. If a youkai of great power appears to resemble someone specific, it is a sign that a soul with a "Strong Ego" is present amongst the rest of the souls, and has managed to gain some form of dominance over the others; these special youkai will often employ the abilities of this dominant soul amongst others, and may even refer to themselves as the person in question, although they cannot be called "entirely themselves" and will still be affected by the others under their control.

The Children of the Kyuubi are of this type of youkai.

Because youkai are innately human deep down, it is possible for them to both corrupt other humans and be corrupted by other humans through "empathy."

In Persona terms, youkai could also be called "Shadows."

Demons

While youkai are human souls that are "playing the role" of supernatural entities, Demons can be thought of as the original entities that those humans are trying to mimic, beings of a singular will that exist as crystallized manifestations of various phenomena or legends. While they are thought to be originally born from humanity, they have souls that are completely alien in nature to those of human beings, and are generally far more powerful than most human beings could ever hope to be, although there are some exceptions to this trend.

While the term "Demon" carries negative connations, it is simply the broad term for those that do not have a human soul; both Pagan Gods and Judeo-Christian Angels can be referred to as Demons in a general sense, even though the angels see themselves as "something different entirely."

Ultimately, there are more than fifty demon "races."

While they are generally more powerful than humans and can be thought of as conceptual entities, they are not able to produce spirit power of their own accord and are forced to get it through other means, such as through worship and prayer, or attacking and draining it from humans that weren't willing to donate.

Humans are not Demons, but powerful humans can become a Demon through various means; the most common method is through being revered by humans due to their deeds in life, these humans are classified as the "Hero" Race of Demon, and hold figures such as King Arthur and Jeanne Da Arc. While this method allows one to keep most of their human traits intact, other methods of morphing oneself into a demon exist, but they aren't nearly as pleasant in most cases.

While they are alien existences to humanity, it is possible for half-human half demon children to exist, so their origin can't be too distant from each other. In the Exodus Nine World, most Demons have been sealed into the "Shadow Vortex" that exists outside the world, but handfuls of them escaped the culling and have kept their presence low-key over the past millennia.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What is the bully-to-bullied ratio so far?

Blog Entries
    Only one of them is bulliable so far.

Most have a neutral bully rating, neither the bully nor the bullied

Onee-san ratings are high tho
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    From what I've learned of Airen RPs, onee-sans are for bullying.

Blog Entries
    Noriko was a special case
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    I dunno. I have seen some others and I remain unconvinces.

Blog Entries
    Red and Yuka tho

Yamuna is a weird imouto-onee san hybrid
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Red is
    Best Dragon
    Best Girl

Yuka is just scary.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Are you suggesting that I’m not bullyable?! Sachiko is more bullyable than Beatrix!
    F/GO Supports

Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    Lore Time Pt. 2

-Spirit Energy (Reiki), and the relationship of Souls and Bodies-

The innate supernatural power that exists within human beings, and the power that lies at the heart of all supernatural phenomena, including those done by Demons and Divine Spirits. While Humanity is weak in many ways, the ability of their souls to generate this power from seemingly nothing is one that they share only with the Creator themselves; as a result they are a special sort of existence that all others rotate around in order to maintain their existence, even if some of those very beings pretend that the inverse is actually true.

Spirit Power is inherently linked to one's Life Energy. If one were to be more specific about it, the base amount of power required for one to keep their body's vital functions running would be the portion of power referred to as Life Energy, and any excess force generated by the soul would then become what others call their Spirit Energy. While this means that one could technically use their life energy as a replacement for spirit energy in a bad situation, doing so is the same thing as killing yourself for one last miracle, as to encroach on this vital force is the same as rupturing the body's ability to live.

The source of both Life Energy and Spirit Energy is the Soul. Normally the soul does not make any more power than it needs in order to keep the body functioning, but in some circumstances it will push past this natural inclination and make more than what is strictly needed for the body to survive, causing a number of changes in the body that more often than not result in budding spiritual powers.

While the emergence of these powers can be as simple as random mutations, the appearance of these powers can be encouraged by one's surroundings; if one's soul feels impeded in some way by the powers of another, it will often attempt to strengthen itself in order to maintain it's own identity. While this process takes time, it means that those who live in spiritually active areas or possess close friends or family with spiritual powers of their own, will often develop them themselves as a result of simply existing around them, although such powers will still have to be trained if one wishes to make any real progress in these fields.

Because Spirit Energy comes from the soul it is highly linked to the emotions of the User, and differs from person to person in a manner similar to fingerprints. As excess Spirit Power will naturally flow both in and outside of the body in order to strengthen it, those with strong spirits have a sense for those like themselves, and will come across as "charismatic" or "threatening" to normal people, depending upon their nature as a person.

Once one has awakened their soul and pushed it towards the spiritual realm, the ability to manipulate one's spiritual power becomes possible to attain and comes with a variety of benefits. Energy can be used to enhance the physical strengths of the body (to a certain limit), activate supernatural weaponry, or interact with other spiritual matter (such as ghosts) with their body. Various methods of increasing one's spiritual power exist, and as the body and soul are in accord with each other, pushing the abilities of one can force the other to "catch up" due to their relationship.

Ultimately however, the soul is the stronger of the two parts of a person; unlike souls which can be called immortal due to their inability to be completely destroyed, bodies are destined to break down one day and this mortality will serve as an eventual cap to how strong one can be while still remaining a "human being."

While one might be tempted to discard their body in this case and exist as a soul entity, one's body is not just a container and limiter for one's soul but also a shield for it; due to the nature of spirit power, souls without a body are at risk of having their senses washed away by their own emotions or that of others. If left to their own devices, they can often become impulsive and obsessed, simply doing as they like without regard for the consequences, and if they are caught up in the spirit power of other stronger souls, they may lose their sense of self entirely, and through the nature of human empathy come to regard the pains of other souls as their own.

Vengeful spirits are born from these sorts of unions, where one bitter soul "convinces" others to join their cause, and the group begins to act as a single entity that has lost it's capacity for individuality and serves as an avenger for them all. It is a possible dark-side of humanity's reliance on bonds and connections for power.

On the nature of bonds, the spirit power of strangers will reject each other because of the lack of intimacy and instinctual distrust. Friends and family on the other hand are often capable of "loaning" each other strength in a literal sense, and in the face of another oppressive power, may work together on an instinctual level to defend their owners.

Humans that become Demons go through a metamorphosis that changes the very nature of their soul; the extent of this change is dependent on the method, with those of the "Hero" classification of Demon going through the least drastic change; simply gaining a body and soul that are "one and the same" rather than just "closely connected," which results in a perfect core and container.

Hybrid entities (half human/half demons) maintain the human ability to make spirit power from nothing in most cases, but do not have conceptual bodies like their demonic parents.
    Last edited by Airen; October 11th, 2018 at 09:17 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, I jettisoned my AGI.

Yet I have no doubt I’m faster than everyone. Perks are fun.

- - - Updated - - -

On what is obviously a completely unrelated note, what are your opinions on centaurs?
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.