Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 123471252 ... LastLast

Thread: Common TM Fanon and Misconceptions

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    The World is a RM
    I see this one so much, and based on the last time it came up elsewhere, it seems like part of the reason people think this is apparently due to Ea's description of "showing the truth of the world" and I guess coupled with the fact that it's anti-world and how it destroys IH = Ea crushes reality marbles and thus the world is an RM. Idk, it's just such a stretch, but it's so widespread at this point.

- Similarly, "Gilgamesh throws galaxies" from CCC (I guess just based on the art?)
    - KH can give out concepts of death willy-nilly because he gave Tiamat one (probably stems from people not reading the chapter, and then also not getting fed the information that came from interviews/mats later on so they think it's just an inherent ability he has).
    - That anyone who was ever in a leadership position automatically fits as Ruler.
    - One I've seen from certain discord servers is that people genuinely believe that Shirou becomes Archer after UBW. Like, believing this despite having read the side material and WoG that says otherwise, which leads into the next one...
    - It's not really a misconception or fanon per se, but people have this idiotic mindset that interviews and side materials directly from Nasu can't be trusted because "Nasu always contradicts himself anyway". This one actually kills me inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I don't know how widespread it is, but I've seen it stated that all attempts of trying to extend one's lifespan (as opposed to Roa's reincarnation method) irrevocably lead to the person becoming a Dead Apostle of some sort. I remember the Zero anime being cited as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    mana is magical energy from the world.

prana is a general term for magical energy.

od is magical energy inside humans.

And I still need confirmation from a knowledgeable BL user since they knew everything from the get go.

I mixed those terms up the first time I encountered them. -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    All that is right. Except the use of prana like that isn't official. It's a fan made term so it could be easier for translation
    Okay, I wondering about the difference.
    What?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    "Prana" is, if I understand it correctly, basically life energy, only it's produced by and permeates everything, not only living beings (or is Hinduism an animistic religion? Sorry, I don't really know). It's often been associated with tantric sexual practices.

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Right...

You should give this to Nasu instead for research purposes.

So that in the Tsukihime re - release, it won't be as awkward as any other VN of the 2000's.
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

Grand Gil is another one I guess. Since "grand casters have high level clairvoyance" obviously includes Gil, even though he's not even a proper Caster and he said himself he's not a Grand.And not that widespread but I feel like in VS scenarios people gravely overestimate the buff Nobu gets against mystery/divine, equating it to an automatic win against anyone with divinity or lots of mystery (like Solomon and Gil).
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    "A Grand is the greatest Heroic Spirit of their age, so there's only two Grand candidates of each class. For Grand Caster, Merlin is the one for the age of man and Solomon for the age of Gods."

That one was pretty common on reddit a while ago, I don't see anyone else talking about it nowadays though, so maybe it was debunked.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    I feel like in VS scenarios people gravely overestimate the buff Nobu gets against mystery/divine, equating it to an automatic win against anyone with divinity or lots of mystery (like Solomon and Gil).
    How much feats that Nobu anti-Mystery abilities have shown exactly?

JP Friend Code
    218,066,906 - Winter
    If I'm not mistaken, the common fact that Ilya dies 1 year following the Fate route ending is somewhat of a misconception, no?

Not only does the last Taiga Dojo never confirm this, but neither does supplementary material (interviews with Nasu, character mats, the old Fuyuki archive website which is somewhat dubious) as far as I can find at least.

It's known via Zouken's dialogue in Heaven's Feel that she only has a lifespan of up to one more year, but isn't it also hinted that she had a way around this?

Not to mention that from all the research I've done I've only been able to trace these facts to the old rumours and misconceptions of Archer's past that connect him with her (that he's Fate route Shirou and she died in his timeline, or even that he's from the Ilya route of all things) and since then most of these have been debunked. Doesn't this call into question this fact then?

And above all Ilya still directly states in the Taiga Dojo that in the Fate route "He won't become Archer because she'll be by his side."

So I have to wonder why we're still taking this as a canon thing that absolutely will happen? Do we even still take it as something that absolutely will happen? It's a topic that's rarely brought up here considering how old it is, so I'm not sure if it even is still taken as canon or if we have acknowledged that information we have contradicts this. But I definitely do see it thrown around elsewhere like it's canon, and have seriously come to question if it's a misconception due to info we've gotten since then.

I'm definitely open to being wrong, I'm just seriously confused at this point because nothing I've found has pointed to this being a canon fact to the Fate route.
    ~ I love and admire beautiful stories ~
    Unlimited Blade Works' true Good End: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av569...50898884336512
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    I don't see why she'd live any longer in the route where she was the only Grail around sucking up Servants
    (If you recall, this is unhealthy)

JP Friend Code
    218,066,906 - Winter
    Of course it's not healthy, it's one of the reasons she does have such a short lifespan. But that's not confirmation that she didn't survive somehow. The details don't even really matter, honestly. (I mean they sure didn't in the VN) Because nothing still outright states that she dies within that timespan, so why is it considered a canon fact when the VN (and everything else) seemingly doesn't?
    Unlimited Blade Works' true Good End: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av569...50898884336512
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So you think that, because they didn't outright state SHE DIES, that means she found some unknown, unmentioned method to prevent her death, despite us knowing that by all means she should die regularly?

Sounds like you're in denial to me.

JP Friend Code
    218,066,906 - Winter
    That is entirely uncalled for. I said I'm open to being wrong, didn't I?

It doesn't even matter if she dies or not, but the VN still leaves that fact ambiguous. And what I can find on the subject that confirms whether or not she does traces back to misinformation as a source. So I'm questioning whether we've considered a possibility to be canon when it hasn't been stated. That isn't at all important?
    Last edited by Winter; October 13th, 2018 at 01:06 PM.
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    I’m more inclined to think Ilya probably does die. Matter of fact I once really thought that the whole “he won’t become archer cause he will have me!” Was actually a tongue in cheek reference to the fact that he would become archer because he wouldn’t have her. (Found out later this was incorrect on my part of course.)

having said that fan tendency to go from “this and this probably happened” to “this and this definitely happened” is highly problematic and should be fought against wherever possible. Especially since fans in many cases will ignore things directly stated in the VN in order to assume previously established rules were inviolate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    "Prana" is, if I understand it correctly, basically life energy, only it's produced by and permeates everything, not only living beings (or is Hinduism an animistic religion? Sorry, I don't really know). It's often been associated with tantric sexual practices.
    Hinduism ISN'T an animistic religion, that I can say, but it's okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the World is a "fabric" stretched over the planet, right?

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    Gaia hating humanity and actively conspiring against it as if it were Skynet.
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

Can Gaia even actively conspire? I don't think so.

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    Shirou having no memories of his life prior the fire. That’s a common one.
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobin View Post
    Shirou having no memories of his life prior the fire. That’s a common one.
    Really? Didn't realize that was a misconception. I thought his first memories were of the fire and everyone dying in it.

JP Friend Code
    218,066,906 - Winter
    Shirou denies his memories of his old life after Kiritsugu rescued him, but there are moments in the VN where he does think back to his life before the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I’m more inclined to think Ilya probably does die. Matter of fact I once really thought that the whole “he won’t become archer cause he will have me!” Was actually a tongue in cheek reference to the fact that he would become archer because he wouldn’t have her. (Found out later this was incorrect on my part of course.)

having said that fan tendency to go from “this and this probably happened” to “this and this definitely happened” is highly problematic and should be fought against wherever possible. Especially since fans in many cases will ignore things directly stated in the VN in order to assume previously established rules were inviolate.
    Oh certainly the possibility is there, and it can still definitely be read as pretty tongue in cheek, though not in that way regarding Archer that's certainly true, lol.

But that's exactly it! We're free to interpret what happens however we want, because the VN gives us this freedom by keeping things open. But it's still interpretation and assumption that certain events actually will happen, and that's what I've been questioning. (Especially regarding these assumptions linking back to misinformation and rumors, which is why this is relevant.)
    Last edited by Winter; October 13th, 2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Spoiler: