Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 47891011141959 ... LastLast

Thread: Common TM Fanon and Misconceptions

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    This recently came up in conversation with my friends, and I'd like to verify: is it just fanon, or does Hans' Innocent Monster manifest in the form of deformities based on his works? (ex: mermaid scales)
    Kind of. Not sure if its historically accurate but
    ……I’m sure I just heard this writer call the story of the unrewarded mermaid princess a comedy. I’m seriously starting to doubt that he’s really the great author Andersen. Maybe he’s a fake that just has the same name?

Andersen :: Hmph. I’d certainly feel better if that were the case. My god, you readers really tend to get more fanciful than the authors. Which is why even though it’s practical for business, I want you to pardon me the illusions I spin, when they go too far. The contents of a book and the face of the author are different things. What else do you expect? Do you think that an author who writes the story “one day, my long lost sister showed up with not ten, but one hundred men” really had that happen to him? Even a city girl shouldn’t be that naive. Though to their authors books are essentially selling your soul bit by bit, there are different degrees of that. The stories we want to write and the stories we have to write are different things. What an author enjoys more than anything, letting his wildest thoughts take flight, that’s “what we want to write.” What pains an author most, crucifying him with thoughts, that’s “what we have to write.” Most readers don’t understand that. You can explain most of the fairy tales I left behind that way. I’ve been horribly cursed, thanks to them. My arms are scarred by burns and my legs are covered with the scales of a mermaid.

So saying, Andersen pulls up his pant-leg slightly. Underneath, it really was covered with mermaid scales —

Andersen :: Now you see, the disgusting results of that slander! “The person who wrote this book must have been so very lonely –” The lot of you make whatever assumptions please you, and I’ve been transformed to match them. Do you understand? All the curses of those who read The Little Mermaid fall on me. So who could I be but its author. Well then, dimwit less perceptive than a town girl. I’ll give you this. It’s a file summarizing my career. Read it carefully, so you don’t ask me any more stupid questions.

Andersen hands over his matrix information, looking displeased. I kind of feel like we just exchanged business cards.
    It's kind of like the assumption that all internet trolls are lonely awkward single basement dwelling 30 year old men just because they troll on the internet.
    The idea is because Hans wrote about that stuff, he must have experienced that stuff because otherwise how could he write that stuff?
    And this is specific to Hans because of emotional depth he goes into with his characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Kind of. Not sure if its historically accurate but

It's kind of like the assumption that all internet trolls are lonely awkward single basement dwelling 30 year old men just because they troll on the internet.
    The idea is because Hans wrote about that stuff, he must have experienced that stuff because otherwise how could he write that stuff?
    And this is specific to Hans because of emotional depth he goes into with his characters.
    Yeah but it's not like the readers are completely wrong on that going by his NP entry.
    Marchen Meines Lebens (A Story For You)
    The unpolished manuscript of Andersen's autobiography, "The Fairy Tale of My Life." To Andersen, who said that, "Generally, what I write is projections of myself," "The Fairy Tale of My Life" is the record of Andersen's way of life, which he compiled as "the supreme annotation of all of my works."
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Hi welcome to the fanon thread
    Meaning nobody's actually pushing it as canon, as far as I've seen. So it's not a "misconception".
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Meaning nobody's actually pushing it as canon, as far as I've seen. So it's not a "misconception".
    I've seen it pushed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Yeah but it's not like the readers are completely wrong on that going by his NP entry.
    "Generally"
    Do the Writer wiggle
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    That Fate route Shirou goes down a similar path to Archer.

Thanks to shitty translating, that piece of fanon got spread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Each of the routes was actually intended to show how shirou overcomes archer and moves past him, but admittedly fate was not as overt about that as it probably should have been.

I think a lot of LE was intended to fix that but we on BL (or anyone in the English fan base) didn't get that since the pertinent quote was mistranslated for quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    The one that drew the difference between shirou and archer.

im gonna heavily paraphrase but the actual line was someothing like

"normally the difference between dream and reality should grind one down until becoming a grim duty, but not for this boy, he held onto it without flinching until the day he died, eventually realizing the impossible"

but it for a very long time it was translated as something like "for shirou, the line between dream and reality ground him down, becoming a grim duty."

so instead of being a very specific statement about how shirou didn't lose heart, it became something that really sounded like it was obliquely describing archer.

Blog Entries
    i thought the whole point of f/sn was shirou doesn't turn into archer

But Archer is cool and edgy why would you not want to turn into a suicidal man that's broken inside
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Ps: Shirou is already suicidal and broken
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Read the entire thread title maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    But more seriously, I remember seeing a while back a number of people who thought that Shiki Nanaya from Melty Blood and such was Tohno's literal split personality that he would change into when he fought enemies a la Jekyll 'n Hyde. I remember asking one such person and it was out of context screenshots of the manga's scene of Tohno vs Nrvnqsr that lead to his confusion. :/
    I mean,

Both KT Nanaya and MB Nanaya have distinct explanations for their existence, but,

Their demeanor is a callback to the way Shiki behaves in certain scenes of the original game (most notably this ending)
    Last edited by aldeayeah; October 15th, 2018 at 07:12 AM.
    don't quote me on this

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    It kinda does. There's a line in HF that talks about how the worms work, and it does say they eat the womb, or somesuch, but considering Zouken's original use for Sakura (before HF started) was for her to bang some Premium magus and have Premium magus babies, I doubt it.
    The talk you see her have with Zouken in HF is canon to all timelines, the one where she refuses to fight.
    He pretty much says outright that he knows she won't last longer than him at the rate things are going, and pretty much has no plans about her doing anything but being a possible proxy body for him.
    Then we have Zero, where he basically said he was surprised she even lived after the "inititation", the dude ain't being careful at all, nor seems like he is taking care of someone who will have the children to restore his clan.
    Add that to the fact you had the grail experiments on top of what he was already doing, and he didn't really give a crap.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Historia View Post
    i thought the whole point of f/sn was shirou doesn't turn into archer
    Of the novel as a whole, yes. But when the Fate route is taken on its own - also disregarding any additional comments from Nasu -, I don't blame anyone who believes Fate!Shirou will turn into Archer even with Rin and Ilya there.

Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    Read the entire thread title maybe.
    It's "fanon and misconception", not fanon/misconception. Both are present.

Not worth arguing about, but I'm not blind.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Common Type Moon Cats and Dogs (Cat-Dogs ONLY)

Yes officer I'd like to report a gross misappropriation of simile
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    This is a thread for all kinds of fanon and misconceptions but not necessarily fanon that is a misconception (though it won't be excluded, obviously)

The thing about being able to summon literally any HS as a berserker just adding a line to the chant, even if they dont would normally qualify as one, belongs here or is hundred percent canon

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    I mean,

Both KT Nanaya and MB Nanaya have distinct explanations for their existence, but,

Their demeanor is a callback to the way Shiki behaves in certain scenes of the original game (most notably this ending)
    Not taking off glasses Taking off glasses against Ciel is a good one, too. Also the coffee talk on the park bench. The long and short of it is that the Nanaya personality is the result of Inversion Impulse.

See, that's another cool thing that the entire work of Tsukihime is built around, but which turned out to not be a terminus technicus in-universe, and proceeded to never be mentioned again. Not even in Melty Blood, and Melty makes it a point to ram in as many dead on arrival references to things that were never meant to exist as possible.
    Last edited by Ratman; October 15th, 2018 at 09:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Actually a fun part of Tsukihime is tht in a few bad and dead ends it’s possible to trip and fall into nanaya more and either kill the wrong person or die fighting the wrong way because it wasn’t a smart choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    This is a thread for all kinds of fanon and misconceptions but not necessarily fanon that is a misconception (though it won't be excluded, obviously)
    See my impression when I see fanon and misconception bundled together in one thread is that there should be some connection between the two, so while your interpretation is valid it is not the only possible interpretation, because simply listing fanon for the sake of saying "it's fanon" when that was never in dispute seems counterproductive to the point of the thread.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single