Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 414649505152535661 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1303

Thread: Common TM Fanon and Misconceptions

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Minors don't have to gamble for movie tickets.
    FIFA's DLC system greatly disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Never did I ever see something this beautifully stupid
    Never did I see an statement so willfully ignorant. Yes you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    Like what? Why the hell are suddenly comparing something that’s actually 2500 years old to the in story age of some comic character?
    Someone took the age of Marvel Comics as a company and compared it to 2,500+ years of history as if they stood for the Nasuverse because the Nasuverse borrows from those mythologies, philosophies and whatnot.

The Nasuverse is actually as old as TM (or Kinoko Nasu) is. Marvel is as old as the company and its precursor comics are. Nothing else beyond this punchline matters.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    Does the comic book analogy really matter when you still don'y understand it or want to anyway?
    I only need to understand what place they occupy in their setting and what else in other fictional verses fits them. Essentially, if I create a box with data for numerous settings, like "god of the setting", "second strongest cosmic entity" and "heroes of the setting", I expect I can take TM and fill in those boxes, then fill in another with the Marvel answers and take both and compare them.

The god of X is Y and the god of W is Z works as a good enough analogy. Logic is not philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    Are you dragging this out just cause you enjoy typing long walls of text in response to people telling you you're wrong?
    I'm not dragging this out. I want this fandom to give Yes/No answers when I ask something and then explain "because it is Y and not X, so a more correct answer would be W" instead.

If you can't answer like we're on Quora, just act like I didn't ask anything.

Quote Originally Posted by falseCeilings View Post
    There's a bit more nuance to what's going on.

The TM verse is consciously or unconsciously, heavily built from a swathe of ideas from Eastern thought. If you are acquainted with the concepts of Tao/Wuji/Brahman/Whatever, you'll very naturally make a a parallel to " " or "Root" or however it is called.

When you make an analogy comparing these ideas to the various metaphysical places/concepts that arise in Western comics (which are usually built on a rather different philosophical background), peeps feel as if you banalize concepts by stripping them of the nuance that they have when viewed in the context of ideas from which they came from.

You're missing that fictional concepts ultimately arise from the concepts we have developed in real life, and cultural baggage does exist. To make a somewhat crude, but demonstrative example: I recall an argument over whether the Death Note would work on Superman. If you approach this argument in some positivist materialist way (which you may tie to the West, Enlightenment, etc.), you might say "Well, the Death Note claims to work on humans, Superman is a Kryptonian, so it shouldn't work on him." On the other hand, if you approach the matter with a more Eastern bent, you might find it completely natural to assume that "human" in this context is closer to "mortal" or a position in the vertical structure of the universe (i.e. under Gods (Devas), above animals/hell beings/whatever) than the scientific definition of homo sapiens. Ergo, Superman dies.

(Excuse the use of the very loaded "Eastern" and "Western", but they've come to delineate somewhat opposed trends in thought)

All of that said, where your analogies failed isn't some esoteric knowledge and it isn't that hard to explain, so some of the reaction to your post is kinda lame and elitist. I also wouldn't say TM does something great or complicated with the Buddhist/Taoist concepts (except maybe butchering them, lol) that would require some deeper understanding of these traditions to understand. You've moved on to the "Source", which isn't that far off from the Taoist conception of the Root of all things, either.

Ultimately, nothing stops one from making a category of things that cannot be categorized, no matter how much Buddhist tradition warns against taking such a category too seriously. Since your aim is some kind of comparative fiction work and not Enlightenment, I think you're in the clear.
    I'm aware it feels like a banalization of terms (or even bastardization) even if that is not the intended purpose, but rather to make a setting easy to understand by building upon better known settings. And this fandom, because even on SB.net some had the same kind of kneejerk response, is indeed rather elitist and very lame (like Marvel Studios subreddit, even if they are elitist for different reasons). Yes, I did comment the Source is close enough to it.

Also, I know enough of Hinduism to draw Brahman/Parabrahman analogies, but I literally stopped dealing with those because the monist view of Eastern philosophy deeply troubles me due to its philosophical implications. That's for another day.

And thank you for summing up what I want to do: comparative fiction work. It's literally everything I'm going into since I actually engage in original world-building and want to avoid making lore people cannot understand easily and straightforward.
    Last edited by AsGryffynn; July 19th, 2019 at 02:02 PM.

Oof you got me there, I forgot I was the ignorant one

Blog Entries
    All right folks break it up.

your making my scrolling finger hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Logic is hardly involved here but sure, do as you please. Always nice to give a great example of what the thread's about anyway.

Blog Entries
    When I say break it up, that doesn’t mean get your last shots in.
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by falseCeilings View Post
    All of that said, where your analogies failed isn't some esoteric knowledge and it isn't that hard to explain, so some of the reaction to your post is kinda lame and elitist.
    Honestly the only thing I took issue with was choosing the Phoenix storyline as the one to draw an analogy to since the Phoenix is the worst part of X-Men by miles

It just feels like an insult lol

- - - Updated - - -

Well shit I should read the whole topic before posting huh
    I was just trying to make a quip but if it’s NG then I accept Tobias’ scrubbing

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    When I say break it up, that doesn’t mean get your last shots in.
    I thought you were asking for a summary.

Why do I get scrubbed and not the guy above me?

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Honestly the only thing I took issue with was choosing the Phoenix storyline as the one to draw an analogy to since the Phoenix is the worst part of X-Men by miles
    fight me in the correct thread for it
    don't quote me on this

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    fight me in the correct thread for it
    AND ME! I like that thing! It's my favorite along with The Judas Contract!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    I thought you were asking for a summary.

Why do I get scrubbed and not the guy above me?
    Because I decided that bad mouthing the story line that killed not only two high budget movies but likely the entire premise of x-men movies for the next couple of years was defensible.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    There seems to be quite a lot of drama in the x-men fandom. only x-men I remember is evolution

Because I decided that bad mouthing the story line that killed not only two high budget movies but likely the entire premise of x-men movies for the next couple of years was defensible.
    That wasn't the point of the ones I was pointing one out, but I get the offense from here.

Remind me to never bring up the DP Saga here again.

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    There seems to be quite a lot of drama in the x-men fandom. only x-men I remember is evolution
    Aw ye, high five

I loved that, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and The Spectacular Spider-man (in ascending order of how much I liked them)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

Shirou isnt a dumbass but a dense motherfucker who only knows how to do a single thing at a time to the best of his ability until he dies

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Definitely a real misconception amongst newbies, but really who can blame 'em, unless they went VN first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    Aw ye, high five

I loved that, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and The Spectacular Spider-man (in ascending order of how much I liked them)
    Oh Earth's Mightiest heroes was definitely the bomb! I didn't think the avenger's show that came after was bad but it heightened my expectations on super hero cartoons a lot and was how I learnt about a lot of heroes like Hawk eye and Captain Marvel (though it's the only incarnation of her I really like)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Shazam is a stupid name for the super-hero and Geoff Johns' work in general is highly overrated.
    ...Oh, wait, wrong forum. My bad!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuhanyou View Post
    Shirou isnt a dumbass but a dense motherfucker who only knows how to do a single thing at a time to the best of his ability until he dies
    This is describing a dumbass.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is, but it's a different kind of dumbass than the people who call him a dumbass are implying
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    This is describing a dumbass.
    Leo my man, we call them savants. That's rude.
    Besides, isn't it Avalon that made him so specialized in the first place?

Funny you should say that because that cankles thing I referenced a bit ago actually stems from a decade old argument between elf and Altima wherein she was teasing him about sakura still having some of her of baby fat.

elf explaining how the art showed off sakuras (near) cankleness sent him into a very polite rage.
    Huh. Oh, now I remember, that was that April Fool's joke with the heroines as representations of the Chinese Zodiac. Odd I was mad, I like characters like Cattelya, so plus size heroines are my jam.

Maybe it was that we were at the tail end of another debate with Rin and Sakura and I was thinking, "oh great, are we gonna have fat jokes too now" and probably got pissy. Either way, it's no big deal.

Also, if Formalcraft is any indication, Rin will get her bazongas at one point, just...Sakura will be beefier.