Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riordanverse- Thoughts and Discussions

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar

Riordanverse- Thoughts and Discussions

Well, because we nearly took over the TM Unpopular Opinions thread with Riordanverse debate, someone kindly suggested we take that shit elsewhere, and because I couldn't find a specific Riodanverse thread, I decided why not create one? If another thread like this exists, please direct me too it. Thank you.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, any thoughts/speculation on the next Trials Of Apollo book?

Hm. I think it'll be about Tarquin the Cruel somehow because it's called Tyrant's Tomb, and I think Frank, Hazel, and Reyna will be important characters.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I actually only read the first one. Concentrated doses of Apollo were just too insufferable for me.

I rather wish we got an extended crossover of PJ/Kane Chronicles/possibly Magnus Chase, since that one's more closely interconnected with Percy Jackson. The short stories were cool, but short, and Egyptian mythology has a lot of stuff the Kane Chronicles never really got to.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; October 15th, 2018 at 12:04 AM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Frankly, I'm suffering a bit of a burn-out on Riordan's books. They're fun (some series more than others; I'm not enjoying the Trials of Apollo as much, for instance), but they're all pretty same-y.

I actually am kind of enjoying Apollo the same way you enjoy Gilgamesh. It helps that he's gotten less insufferable over the books. I will agree about the samey part, especially Magnus Chase. Magnus had the potential to be something different, but no, Riordan just wrote Percy again.

Mmm. Well, they do have their differences character-wise, but their respective plotlines pretty much ended the same, and the supporting character dynamic wasn't nearly as good as PJ (which is kinda understandable, given how many more books one series had over the other). Still, it's a guilty pleasure I enjoy more than most.

I mean, book sinner confession time, I've read nearly all the Shadowhunter books just 'cause I liked the humor here and there and the plot in those was faaaaar inferior, to say the least. At least Riordan's modern reinvention of figures of Classicism is inventive.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    I actually only read the first one. Concentrated doses of Apollo were just too insufferable for me.
    I actually loved Apollo as narrator. His hammy self-indulgence and tendency to digress on silly tangents were a blast of fresh air after being used to audience insert leads like Percy and Magnus (not to say those are bad characters by any means, but they certainly can get old after a while). As for my theories on what might go down in the last book:

-Commodus survived his plunge into the abyss in The Dark Prophecy, and will come back with a power boost and crazed grudge against Apollo.

-Nero gets backstabbed by Python in the climax, who then assumes the mantle of true final boss.

-Apollo doesn't become a god again. He burns through his last residual drops of divinity to defeat Python, gives it up to revive a mortally wounded Meg, or something along those lines. I admit this is my boldest and most unlikely suggestion by far, but it'd be interesting to see Riordan not bow to the status quo. Plus, the series even notes that the world wouldn't end if Apollo doesn't regain his divinity, since there's other sun gods that could take the wheel.

I do wish Meg got more personality, and while Burning Maze did finally establish that she indeed wasn't much of a talker and gave some background and motivation, I just wish we got more from her.

Also, Commodus definitely survived. The final scene definitely came across that way in Dark Prophecy. Also, Nero is definitely going to get upstaged by Python unless he pulls a Kylo Ren and manages to murder Python.

Finally, that's an intriguing theory, and if it happens, I wouldn't be upset.

So, to keep the ball rolling, what do you guys think of Rick Riordan Presents. I liked the first Aru Shah book somewhat because as an Indian-American, some parts did resonate with me. However, I realize I've outgrown 12-year-old protagonists because I found Aru and Mini annoying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    So, to keep the ball rolling, what do you guys think of Rick Riordan Presents. I liked the first Aru Shah book somewhat because as an Indian-American, some parts did resonate with me. However, I realize I've outgrown 12-year-old protagonists because I found Aru and Mini annoying.
    I haven't read any of the Riordan Presents stuff yet. The Indian mythology one looks interesting, but you're right that it's probably written for a younger audience than Riordan's more recent stuff.

Never heard of it, will have to look it up.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    I haven't read any of the Riordan Presents stuff yet. The Indian mythology one looks interesting, but you're right that it's probably written for a younger audience than Riordan's more recent stuff.
    Kinda, but it still tackles some pretty mature themes because Hindu mythology is not necessarily child friendly unless you heavily censor it, as is what happened for me when I was young.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of it, will have to look it up.
    It's basically Uncle Rick outsourcing writing about certain mythologies to other up and coming fiction authors under one label because he felt that as a white man, he couldn't write about certain mythologies with all the respect or nuance they deserve. Honestly, I do get his reasoning for this.

But he can write about the Egyptian gods just fine (ignoring that he's neither Greek,Italian nor Scandinavian anyway)? That's a weird distinction, but an established author supporting new authors is a worthwhile enterprise, so whatever.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

But he can write about the Egyptian gods just fine (ignoring that he's neither Greek,Italian nor Scandinavian anyway)? That's a weird distinction, but an established author supporting new authors is a worthwhile enterprise, so whatever.
    I think it's more the fact that the mythologies he's chosen to spin off are those that still hold religious meaning to vast populations of individuals, and he would rather let individuals of those cultures write about their own beliefs and heritage. For example, the Hindu series is being written by an Indian-American author, Roshani Chokshi. Also, I think there is a Korean mythology series in the works for this label and a few others (maybe Mexican?). I need to double check.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Everything's fine as long as he doesn't touch Yoruba mythology

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    Everything's fine as long as he doesn't touch Yoruba mythology
    Based on the second Apollo book, I suspect he will.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Based on the second Apollo book, I suspect he will.
    Lord why.....-_-

Yeah, Jamie is heavily implied to be a Yoruba demigod, though I think that'll be the extent of that in this particular series.

Yeah, Jamie is heavily implied to be a Yoruba demigod, though I think that'll be the extent of that in this particular series.
    I'd appreciate if that's true. I enjoyed Percy Jackson, but I'm honestly unsure how I'd feel if he touched on Yoruba dieties much. Though from what I've looked up on the Jamie character he at least doesn't come off as obnoxious to the very least