Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Riordanverse- Thoughts and Discussions

  1. #21
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    I'd appreciate if that's true. I enjoyed Percy Jackson, but I'm honestly unsure how I'd feel if he touched on Yoruba dieties much. Though from what I've looked up on the Jamie character he at least doesn't come off as obnoxious to the very least
    Olujime/Jamie is one of the best characters in the book. He's not really a stereotype as far as I'm concerned, and Trials of Apollo references several other gods and mythologies, including Hinduism, which he is DEFINITELY not writing about, which means that references likely won't lead to spinoff series written by Rick himself.

  2. #22
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,634
    Do you guys think Rick will EVER write an actual Ragnarok series in which the world ends, the Einherjar die, and the main characters don't miraculously win?

  3. #23
    1. 2. 3. 4. We are cells at work! RoydGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Human body
    Age
    50
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Do you guys think Rick will EVER write an actual Ragnarok series in which the world ends, the Einherjar die, and the main characters don't miraculously win?
    Nope. Even if he ever did a series about Ragnarok, it'd end up with a "fuck fate" message where the main heroes break the cycle and manage to prevent the world from being destroyed. Also, since Ragnarok is universal in scope, the gods of other mythologies would get dragged into it too, not just the Norse ones. Even if Riordan somehow wanted to pull a "kill em' all" ending to the Magnus series, there's no way he would torch his entire franchise like that.

    Though that kind of reminds me of when the author of the Animorphs series (another series I was really into as a kid) decided to end it with a pointless epilogue book that killed off half the cast in a total diabolus ex machina/big-lipped alligator moment, just because she wanted to decisively end the series and was pissed about fans asking her to continue.

    Still, Riordan strikes me as a lot more well adjusted and friendly to his fans, so I highly (and I mean highly) doubt he'd ever go down that route.

  4. #24
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Nope. Even if he ever did a series about Ragnarok, it'd end up with a "fuck fate" message where the main heroes break the cycle and manage to prevent the world from being destroyed. Also, since Ragnarok is universal in scope, the gods of other mythologies would get dragged into it too, not just the Norse ones. Even if Riordan somehow wanted to pull a "kill em' all" ending to the Magnus series, there's no way he would torch his entire franchise like that.

    Though that kind of reminds me of when the author of the Animorphs series (another series I was really into as a kid) decided to end it with a pointless epilogue book that killed off half the cast in a total diabolus ex machina/big-lipped alligator moment, just because she wanted to decisively end the series and was pissed about fans asking her to continue. Still, Riordan strikes me as a lot more well adjusted and friendly to his fans, so I highly​ doubt he'd ever go down that route.
    Yeah, I guess that's true, but you know, it'd be nice to see a Ragnarok/Kali Yuga crisis crossover in which the heroes don't exactly win, but they manage to save an appreciable amount of people, and it wouldn't be like the Animorphs ending because it's something preordained in numerous mythologies!

    Actually, it might be something he does on his deathbed to end his series gracefully/with a bang.
    Last edited by SirGauoftheSquareTable; October 22nd, 2018 at 01:14 AM.

  5. #25
    1. 2. 3. 4. We are cells at work! RoydGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Human body
    Age
    50
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's true, but you know, it'd be nice to see a Ragnarok/Kali Yuga crisis crossover in which the heroes don't exactly win, but they manage to save an appreciable amount of people, and it wouldn't be like the Animorphs ending because it's something preordained in numerous mythologies!
    Now you're making me imagine some crazy huge crossover event where the big bads in various mythologies like Surt, Kali (the demon, not the goddess) and Apophis decide to team up and end the world together. Then the gods and demigods from those same mythologies would have to team up to try and stop them. In the climax, the world would be totally wrecked and almost all the gods and heroes would be killed off, but one final god survives and uses up the last of their strength to replenish the dying world before perishing. Then humanity would go on to repopulate the new world, finally free to decide their own future without being bound to gods or the fates.

    It'd be a cool idea on paper, though potentially a bit heavy for Riordan's usual fair, given even the most optimistic ending would involve nine tenths of the named characters and potentially millions of others dying.

  6. #26
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Now you're making me imagine some crazy huge crossover event where the big bads in various mythologies like Surt, Kali (the demon, not the goddess) and Apophis decide to team up and end the world together. Then the gods and demigods from those same mythologies would have to team up to try and stop them. In the climax, the world would be totally wrecked and almost all the gods and heroes would be killed off, but one final god survives and uses up the last of their strength to replenish the dying world before perishing. Then humanity would go on to repopulate the new world, finally free to decide their own future without being bound to gods or the fates.

    It'd be a cool idea on paper, though potentially a bit heavy for Riordan's usual fair, given even the most optimistic ending would involve nine tenths of the named characters and potentially millions of others dying.
    I know, but that's simply what writing that topic entails. Besides, Rick has been getting progressively heavier and more willing to kill of mains with time, and well, the mythos demands it. One thing though. Apophis has been essentially banished forever from existence because of the sheut execretion/execration, so he can't be in it. Also, the event would have to end with the Dance of Destruction by Shiva.

  7. #27
    Shurmano AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Valle de Los Caidos
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,179
    US Friend Code
    ex TST 675(L) & ex 320i e
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I know, but that's simply what writing that topic entails. Besides, Rick has been getting progressively heavier and more willing to kill of mains with time, and well, the mythos demands it. One thing though. Apophis has been essentially banished forever from existence because of the sheut execretion/execration, so he can't be in it. Also, the event would have to end with the Dance of Destruction by Shiva.
    Apophis' execration was pretty much permanently killing the guy, so no Poopis for u!

    Also, am I the only one who gets bored with those "bring Chaos to do X" plot lines in fanfiction? Seriously. It's always Chaos this, Chaos that... Pontus, Aither and Hemera are totally painted in a wall! For fans, they seemingly do not exist!

    That said, I couldn't help but (recently) notice the parallels between Jason's death and that of Pyrrha from RWBY...

  8. #28
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    Apophis' execration was pretty much permanently killing the guy, so no Poopis for u!

    Also, am I the only one who gets bored with those "bring Chaos to do X" plot lines in fanfiction? Seriously. It's always Chaos this, Chaos that... Pontus, Aither and Hemera are totally painted in a wall! For fans, they seemingly do not exist!

    That said, I couldn't help but (recently) notice the parallels between Jason's death and that of Pyrrha from RWBY...
    Those characters don't really do much in mythology either. Pontus basically sleeps at the ocean floor, Hemera is mentioned, and Aether is Aether. The chaos villains or the other endbringers are specifically the movers and shakers.

  9. #29
    Shurmano AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Valle de Los Caidos
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,179
    US Friend Code
    ex TST 675(L) & ex 320i e
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Do you guys think Rick will EVER write an actual Ragnarok series in which the world ends, the Einherjar die, and the main characters don't miraculously win?
    That goes against the Uncle Rick School of Writing lesson 5: The story never ends. The series does? Write a new one where we left off... and make sure you can write from the ending of the last series...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Those characters don't really do much in mythology either. Pontus basically sleeps at the ocean floor, Hemera is mentioned, and Aether is Aether. The chaos villains or the other endbringers are specifically the movers and shakers.
    And Gaea was supposed to be a slumbering giantess but look how her life panned out...

  10. #30
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    That goes against the Uncle Rick School of Writing lesson 5: The story never ends. The series does? Write a new one where we left off... and make sure you can write from the ending of the last series...

    - - - Updated - - -



    And Gaea was supposed to be a slumbering giantess but look how her life panned out...
    But even in mythology, Gaea makes several attempts to overthrow the Olympians, including with the Giants, so her actions are perfectly in character. The same thing is not true for Pontus, who is only mentioned as one of the Protogenoi and promptly never appears again, and Hemera is simply mentioned in the myth of night and day as Nyx's daughter and the source of the day/night cycle, but there's not much else.

  11. #31
    Shurmano AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Valle de Los Caidos
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,179
    US Friend Code
    ex TST 675(L) & ex 320i e
    When has the inactivity of a deity pointed out to their uselessness as a character in speculative fiction?

  12. #32
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    When has the inactivity of a deity pointed out to their uselessness as a character in speculative fiction?
    If we're talking speculative fiction as a whole, then I get where you're coming from, but with the Riordanverse in particular, Rick, while willing to reach deeper into the barrel for interesting characters, does typically prefer to incorporate those that actually do at least something. Besides, if you want his take on those inactive deities, then the best place would be Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes, or any of the other supplemental books.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •