Page 43 of 104 FirstFirst ... 33384142434445485393 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II Case Files Anime

Quote Originally Posted by jennajayfeather View Post
    This has some really heavy Flat stuff; apparently he mentioned his "human lives weigh more than the earth" and such here.
    Isn't that a quote from SF?

I don't know if it's just me but I found this episode pretty weak, and while I thought episode 2 was fine, I really hope they start veering towards more of an overarching story soon, even before we reach Rail Zeppelin.

The only really overall relevant points of this episode, to me, felt like 1) establishing that revealing mystery is bad, and 2) waver can't enter the hgw anymore (and this is for whatever reason a post-credits scene). You could argue the appearance of certain characters (Luvia, Yvette) relevant since they'll be involved later but they hardly do much (if anything) here so it's rather moot, I'd say.
    The rest of the episode was, just like the previous one, "mystery filler" but what brings it down a bit for me (moreso this episode than last one) is how there's not really any sort of mystery to speak of, it's just "here's a thing that's happening, let us explain what is happening".

Using the anime-original episodes for establishing characters before the arc proper, and bringing up relevant plot points from previous arcs is fine and all, but I think they should focus more on these aspects rather than half-assed "mysteries" being the main focus with characters becoming sort of a sidelined case.

I'm really just hoping it won't end up being one of those shows where you can effectively skip the first half because none of the anime-original stuff adds anything which has any bearing on the overarching story of the second half (the arc proper).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    yeah this ep was very very weak
    it was mostly about cameos than actual story

Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    yeah this ep was very very weak
    it was mostly about cameos than actual story
    Pretty much, half of which don't even have any further relevance, unless I'm mistaken.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Eh, it's a pity that the electrical creatures were rabbits, instead of mice. Otherwise, I would have made an offhand comment about Pikachu.

Blog Entries
    Although i have to give highest comedy points for Waver going

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, yes, it's an arrest warrant. One typically uses those to arrest someone.

US Friend Code
    I have to agree I'm worried that the first half will be entirely pointless. Hopefully that post-credits scene leads into something more next episode.

I really like the characters interactions this episode (which where one of the things I enjoyed the most from the novels)
    but those were the only highlights this episode really have tbh

Also, this many cameos pack in one episode makes me wonder when are we going to see Hishiri
    I do like Goredolf but I don't get why didn't they use her instead in the final scene to tease her proper introduction later

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by CO9p5JMGv!p9 View Post
    Isn't that a quote from SF?
    Yeah it is!

sksjdj I see people disappointed with this epi but honestly idk I think these mysteries are more of a way to introduce you to the characters rather than absorbing the audience into figuring out the mystery. I mean I personally really liked it because of seeing the dynamic between Flat, Gray & Svin—because they are dysfunctional— like I just liked Flat & Gray talking to each other. It was just a lot more dialogue heavy than I thought Flat’s first epi would be.

i just, Yeah. Love interactions between characters

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post

holy fucking lol

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Considering the anime-only crowd is only just introduced to these characters (episode 0 doesn't count; you can't assume people will have watched a teaser for info about the show itself) the episode wasn't useless at all. It introduces Waver's class (other than Grey); it establishes that they're all weirdoes with no other place to go, who for this reason are exceptionally fond of (and loyal to) Waver; and that UNlike Waver, his students are actually pretty talented in matters of Magecraft. All important setting info. And the plot itself wasn't that bad, reinforcing again that "
    Mystery
    Secrets
    are the life of a magus (and by extension the Association)" while "human life is cheap".
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by jennajayfeather View Post
    Yeah it is!

sksjdj I see people disappointed with this epi but honestly idk I think these mysteries are more of a way to introduce you to the characters rather than absorbing the audience into figuring out the mystery. I mean I personally really liked it because of seeing the dynamic between Flat, Gray & Svin—because they are dysfunctional— like I just liked Flat & Gray talking to each other. It was just a lot more dialogue heavy than I thought Flat’s first epi would be.

i just, Yeah. Love interactions between characters
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Considering the anime-only crowd is only just introduced to these characters (episode 0 doesn't count; you can't assume people will have watched a teaser for info about the show itself) the episode wasn't useless at all. It introduces Waver's class (other than Grey); it establishes that they're all weirdoes with no other place to go, who for this reason are exceptionally fond of (and loyal to) Waver; and that UNlike Waver, his students are actually pretty talented in matters of Magecraft. All important setting info. And the plot itself wasn't that bad, reinforcing again that "
    Mystery
    Secrets
    are the life of a magus (and by extension the Association)" while "human life is cheap".
    I can't help but think that in the case of these episodes more being here to establish and introduce characters to the anime-only crowd, then that and mostly that is what the episodes should focus on. Don't spend 13 minutes on some half-assed "mystery" and add in character interactions on the side (because let's be real, the interactions you speak of take up what, like 2 minutes of runtime at most?). Do the opposite, where the episode is driven by the interactions between characters, possibly using such a half-assed mystery as a backdrop setting for these interactions to take place. Hell, all the pieces are already there, just reverse the focus here and we're good. Because honestly, even so you can still as easily and naturally (if not more so) introduce these same tidbits of lore that'll come to be recognized as important later down the line.

The focus is all wrong, and character development is going to suffer for it, along with the rest of the first half if it keeps this trend up, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, worst case scenario, this series is only adapting one volume of CF because they want to gauge interest in non-Fate anime before going all out, and if the first half proves ultimately (for the most part) irrelevant to the second half, and this trend of the "plot" taking precedence over character interactions and proper development continues, I feel like sales/interest could take a hit as a result, which makes it seem like additional CF adaptations won't be worthwhile.

That could happen, or maybe I'm just projecting too much right now because I'm too disappointed at the moment, who knows.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Goredolf is up there with Altria as romanizations that have no place in this world

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    "In the name of the truth and the Root." So magi do swear "By the Root!"
    Last edited by warellis; July 20th, 2019 at 03:43 PM.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Goredolf is up there with Altria as romanizations that have no place in this world
    I'm gonna gore that dolf.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a couple boring episodes crashing interest in further CF or other non-Fate adaptations is a little dramatic, but maybe I just dont have a proper grasp of how the average viewer is affected by episodes like this one. At least for me it doesnt kill a desire to watch the rest of the show even if I do think it was the weakest episode so far and agree they should get more of an arc going.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    I can't help but think that in the case of these episodes more being here to establish and introduce characters to the anime-only crowd, then that and mostly that is what the episodes should focus on. Don't spend 13 minutes on some half-assed "mystery" and add in character interactions on the side (because let's be real, the interactions you speak of take up what, like 2 minutes of runtime at most?). Do the opposite, where the episode is driven by the interactions between characters, possibly using such a half-assed mystery as a backdrop setting for these interactions to take place. Hell, all the pieces are already there, just reverse the focus here and we're good. Because honestly, even so you can still as easily and naturally (if not more so) introduce these same tidbits of lore that'll come to be recognized as important later down the line.

The focus is all wrong, and character development is going to suffer for it, along with the rest of the first half if it keeps this trend up, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, worst case scenario, this series is only adapting one volume of CF because they want to gauge interest in non-Fate anime before going all out, and if the first half proves ultimately (for the most part) irrelevant to the second half, and this trend of the "plot" taking precedence over character interactions and proper development continues, I feel like sales/interest could take a hit as a result, which makes it seem like additional CF adaptations won't be worthwhile.

That could happen, or maybe I'm just projecting too much right now because I'm too disappointed at the moment, who knows.
    I think you're just projecting. These anime episodes are honestly delightful little vignettes that establish both the major characters and the overall tone and identity of CF, which anime viewers wouldn't quite get. These little mysteries feel quite in the vein of Sherlock Holmes, just as the main cases do. They tease the idea of the magical mystery, while also showing us the rotating cast involved in the main cases.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    And I may be biased, because I found the episode to be genuinely interesting and couldn't even understand half the dialogue. I'll revisit when I watch it properly subbed.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I watched it on Funimation's website subbed, so I wonder what counts as proper subs for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I loved the Zero reference to when Waver and Iskandar stormed Gilles' and Ryuunosuke's workshop.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Here is the preview they posted of the 2nd Drama CD that'll come out with the BD/DVDs
    or the boys being idiots over a sandwich LOL

Also, the links from the website to download the "El-Melloi II Times"
    Trust me and check the third, has the best cover LOL, that scowl caught on camera
    https://anime.elmelloi.com/pdf/vol1.pdf
    https://anime.elmelloi.com/pdf/vol2.pdf
    https://anime.elmelloi.com/pdf/vol3.pdf