Page 1 of 10 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like/dislike about Fate/Grand Order's story?

What do you like/dislike about Fate/Grand Order's story?

The plot of preventing the end of the world? The concept of visiting different places and time periods? Figures of myth and history interacting with each other? The characters? The fights? The additions to TM lore? The crossovers? CGs and music? Characters just doing stuff? Something I can't think of off the cuff?

Not a poll because then no one would actually post. Not a flamebait thread, expect disagreements but don't make it personal. If you talk about the gacha/game elements then do it in relation to the storytelling.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The FGO story is great. Fun events, long actual chapters, interludes to flesh out some characters, well translated. All my issues tend to stem from the mechanics side of the thing, repetitive battles, a huge grind for some items (although some times it gives you a greater sense of accomplishment once you do collect all you need.), and summon materials/rates being so sparse that I almost never use them.

I've gained so much more appreciation for FGO when I started playing Azur Lane. Because while I enjoy it's gameplay more than FGO, the story is atrocious. The most coherent part has been the crossover with Hyperdimension Neptunia.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    CGs and music.

Seeing new places. Large bosses where you have to pull out all of the stops and more to win. People trying to survive in the end of the world and searching for answers (the David Bluebrook stuff). Fighting to retake what's yours from people who won't back down. Seeing various dystopias and the people who made them who were willing to go to any length to do so. The occasions in which a Heroic Spirit shows why they are known as such, protecting and inspiring the people of the present and entrusting the world to them (like Spartacus in LB3).

I can't say I care much for powerlevels for their own sake, or Servants that skew more blatantly toward mining prior goodwill/works for money (DELETE FUJINO). It's sad that the focus nowadays is on what color a Servant's face cards are and how high their numbers are as opposed to whether or not they're an engaging character in a good story. The increasing scale guts more personal stories, which is a damn shame since I got into TM with Shiki and Arc as opposed to TEAM DEATHMATCHES. Also it sucks that I can't just read the TL'd version at my own pace, since you have to grind to get content, and pay for more content. FGO script books when? Even worse is that the English stuff can't even be released all at once, since it has to be treated like part of the game. With an anime, you only have to wait 6 to 9 months depending on the licensor and cours; with FGO, you're waiting years. And Youtube isn't conducive for long-term reading like a real book is. Also it makes me sad that we'll never see the ramifications of the half of the events in FGO. The world skipped a year, what did that do to the MA besides an inquiry, let alone the rest of the world? How the hell are all of the people Thanos'd by trees going to come back? More timeline fuckery when someone defrosts Chaldeas?

Also the desire for MOAR MONEY MOAR STAKES prevents refocusing on a lot of characters in the way that FSN or Tsuki could by virtue of having an ending. There's no need for them to work on old characters or give them further growth when there are new units just on the horizon that need material. Also when Roman ends up in the gacha I'm going to screech hardcore because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck undoing death for money.

And phone games frankly aren't that fun. You have to stare at a tiny little screen until your battery dies right when you get to a good part, or clear a bunch of random missions beforehand so your AP doesn't overflow while you're trudging through the story, or you're gated by your schedule or some other thing that prevents painless immersion and consumption.

I can't screech until my throat bleeds about how FGO's cancer, but I can't really like it either. Just bits and translated chunks there, which is a really depressing way to engage. Well, that's the absolute state of TM fandom these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For the most part the story structure is pretty much the same for most of the singularities.
    Enter alone, encounter ally, face big threat that seems super big, gain more allies, defeat threat, turns out there's a bigger threat, climactic finish.
    If you just look at the characters in the singularities the emphasis is a lot less on individual growth rather than collecting allies.
    Salem is interesting because it's all about losing allies while Shimousa does actually focus on individual growth.
    You could say that for America too but its a lot weaker there.
    But for the most part GO is the same story being told again and again just with bigger set pieces and effects each time. Eventually, people are going to get tired of that.
    I haven't started LB3 yet but with LB1 and 2 they've started to go back to the human element which is nice to see.
    Last edited by You; November 28th, 2018 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    GO honestly kind of sucks now

It was fun and fresh in the beginning but now everything feels monotonous and dull and it really doesn’t help that we’re expected to wait years for updates. The most attractive aspect of GO and the thing most people only really care about are the cute character interactions between famous people which was fine i guess but now it really feels like they’re milking these interactions for all they’re worth and don’t really care about telling a story anymore.

It’s just like You said, i’m starting to get really tired of it all

I’ll still stay here for my faves tho......
    Last edited by Magikewl; November 28th, 2018 at 08:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    I like that I can skip it all and replay it later at my leisure so I can procrastinate then grind frantically against a time limit
    I’ll, uh, get around to the “replaying it later” part someday (I think my backlog goes back to Onigashima at this point?)

i agree with YOU on the refocusing on the human element, which the Crypters really seem to bring forth in the story.

basically, if the content is properly planned out ahead of time and there is a focus on the story and the characters themselves, then that is good for me and TM can deliver that well (and worldbuilding and powerlevels never hurts in a decent enough dosage. it has worked fir One Piece thus far).

i dont like the lack of detail that you cant get from a phone game as opposed to a manga adaptation though. but that is what TM is currently working on so my problem is having patience.
    Last edited by fire_mountain_30; November 28th, 2018 at 09:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    There are parts of GO i find distasteful.

every new TM story seems to dilute the more simple tale I fell in live with over a decade ago. And with the success it destroys the one big hope I had been holding onto, that type moon and co. Might actually release a new story.

not a new grail war, not an AU, an actual, completely new tale with new rules and new skills that never once needs to use servants or vampires to sell itself

still, on the other hand, honestly after seeing the other crap that’s started cropping up (case files anime? Really? Is it possible for me to care less then zero?) at least Go has some cute stuff that keeps me reasonably entertained and some of the singularities are legitimately pretty good.

So eh. Take your wins, suffer through your losses. Roll the gatcha. What hell, could be worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Case Files is great, just not really as an anime. Then again, they did KnK Episode 8, so why not?

Also, I will admit gacha is the primary reason I refuse to touch it due to some horrible experiences spending way too much money on another gacha.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Yeah, the mobile format really hurts it as a format. I'd far prefer to see it as a long-form series of some sort, even if it is just in VN format, with more sprites that aren't just DEFAULT SERVANT IN BATTLE POSE BUT FACE IS NOW SURPRISED INSTEAD OF SMILING. Nasu's works really do deserve something better than a shitty little screen with limited controls, gameplay, memory and artwork.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    case files anime? Really? Is it possible for me to care less then zero?
    Take it back you don’t mean it

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    The reusing of game assets for generic enemies in particular. The base sprite pretty much looks the same besides a recolor and text flavor, some added special effects at best. Any mythological monster of note is now Dragon #65 or Hydra #32
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I do like how GO has expanded on some older, more obscure concepts and introduced some interesting ones.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobin View Post
    The reusing of game assets for generic enemies in particular. The base sprite pretty much looks the same besides a recolor and text flavor, some added special effects at best. Any mythological monster of note is now Dragon #65 or Hydra #32
    YES

"Master, enemies incoming!"

*Generic screech*
    *Generic RPGMaker evil wraith sprite*
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Case Files is great, just not really as an anime.
    Case Files is pretty much made for the standard anime format though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Case Files is tragically dull. Much like the second half of the first swimsuit event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Take it back you don’t mean it
    i really, really do. I exaggerate nothing when I say my literal first thought when I found out about case files anime was “well hell. I guess GO milking isn’t so bad”

it literally reframed my expectations as far as new TM works vs more gacha money grubbing
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    i really, really do. I exaggerate nothing when I say my literal first thought when I found out about case files anime was “well hell. I guess GO milking isn’t so bad”

it literally reframed my expectations as far as new TM works vs more gacha money grubbing
    Are you sure though? Because you really hate Zero. Less then Zero would probably go full circle and you'd wind up loving it.

US Friend Code
    I like how GO can take Servants that previously had little going for them and give them more, like Avicebron in LB1 and from what I hear Spartacus in LB3. I also like the way it expands on concepts that were introduced with very little elaboration forever go, like Beasts. I also appreciate how even at its dullest I can still find some engagement in the overall narrative. And events are always fun.

Something I really don't like is how it focuses solely on Servants over Servant-Master relationships, which was always my favorite part of previous Fate works like Illya and Herc or Waver and Iskandar. There's some of that coming back with the Crypters though, but I don't think it will ever be at the forefront again because of how the gacha controls all.

Blog Entries
    Heh, that one wasn’t bad.