Thread: Writing passages that you're most proud of, RP VERSION

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    top 10 jokes that went too far

- - - Updated - - -

content post soon

Blog Entries
    This is a post from Ouroboros, which had one of the strongest characters I’ve made on this site, Cernunnos. I want to do a writeup on his sheet sometime, since it was the first time I’d really put effort into a character. This post isn’t anything special, and it’s a little dated, but it’s where I really started getting a hold of his character.

Spoiler:

Cernunnos
    Tokyo, Aoyama Cemetery

July 7th, 2041
    10: 57 AM

“Serpent? Oh, you mean Ouroborus. No, as far as I know he isn’t in this part of town. Which is exactly why I’m making my preparations here, you know. Gotta build up before trying to get the big fish.”

The horned man inclined his head to the necromancer, using the power of the charm he had been given to inform the other members of the Resistance.

It is probable that the Serpent is not present in Aoyama. Note the first - there is a necromancer in the Aoyama cemetery 'Reien'. Note the second - the necromancer has relations with the Aoyama family.

In the meantime, the woman was studying him, her gaze getting sharper and sharper as her eyes roamed over some of his more... unusual features.

“I guess you’re another one of those people trying to get at the Snake, eh? That makes us competitors, then. Hmm, not good. I knew there were going to be a lot of people aiming at him but well, it seems there’s a lot of strong people going after him as well if you’re one of them… well then, there are only two ways to deal with competitors. One, be partners and be all happy go lucky with our business. Two...beat the crap out of them and make them give up. Now then, I think I will go with option 3…”

The necromancer smiled, showing each and everyone of her knife-like teeth.

Most definitely carnivorous. Firmly entrenched in this area. The number of victims and dead possible of being summoned must be high. Fleeing without some combat is not an option.

“In terms of number 2, however, why don’t I beat the crap out of you, research you, and then make you one of my puppets, no? I mean, if you don’t intend to leave peacefully, that is. But hey, even if you do leave, I kind of want to research you. So please stick around and entertain me fully, will ya?”

The ground cracked beneath them, skeletal hands clawing their way out of the ground, hauling the dead and gone out of the maw of the earth like some kind of twisted birth. The necromancer had decided to hang back while ten dead advanced at him, dragging their feet in that way only corpses had. And then... there was something else. It was not the necromancer doing this, but rather, the very earth itself.

The barrier.

If he had had eyes, surely they would have narrowed. Instead, the mage known only as Cernunnos considered his next move.

It is possible that she has lessened knowledge of close-range combat... the path will be opened and then advanced upon. Ice will breach the gap and fire will close it. Show her a fearsome image.

Simple enough.

It was... strange. One moment, there was something that could still be called a human there. The next, it bared its true face to the necromancer. It was something that was living under the marshes, the cold, moonlit fields of Ireland... something that scratched at the door and howled at the sky.

It was, surely, something older than the city, something older than humans, something from a time when wild things walked through the forests. This graveyard - surely, there was no better place for it to appear.

A cold mist rose from the ground, summoning a chill that would tug at the bones of the living; but then, nothing there could truly be called alive. The giant held up its hands - and then, it struck.

An orb of icy energy formed upon its palm and splintered into multiple shards of ice, bursting at the crowds of zombies, ripping into them with an unnatural ferocity.

The way has been opened. We will see how she responds.

I’d post the fight with Bloble that was and is still one of my favorite BL RP moments, but that would take forever.
    Last edited by Mooncake; December 17th, 2018 at 01:13 AM.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    I'm having trouble narrowing it down. So here's three posts I had a blast making, with a bit of context, in no particular order.

Ouroboros
    Morisaku Ryosuke
    Akihabara, Radio Tower Rooftop
    2:17
    HP: DEAD/340 | MP: 310/430

There are those who fight until their last breath.

"Morisaku was one such man."

There are those who endlessly seek victory.

"Ryosuke was such a warrior."

There are those for whom no weight is thought of as too heavy.

"The once-great Night King of Tokyo was such a creature."

Here, now, he lies, torn apart by his own greed.

Here, now, he rests, finding solace in defeat.

Here, now, he sprawls, crushed by a burden he had no hope of bearing.

This man who knew not when to stop has had the thread of life forcefully severed. He is a message to those whelps that reach too far. He is a lesson to be taught to those with an excess of pride. He is caution, to be given to those lacking it. With this, Morisaku Ryosuke's mission is over. He accomplishes more in death than what he ever could in life. He cremates now, his body to be consumed from the inside out by soul-searing flame.

Here lies a fool who flew too close to the sun.

Look at him and laugh, for never shall he fly again.

MORISAKU RYOSUKE: DEAD

... ...

... ... ...

From behind as he turns his back on the body, the undying Snake hears a voice. An impossible voice. It can't be him. The owner of that voice is certainly-!

"Pretending to be down to have the enemy lower their guard, before sucker punching them. Where I come from, that's not just common; it's a given. For an immortal sorcerer, you sure suck at telling when a guy's fucking with you. The pet fireplace is gone. It's my ten-out-of-ten win, you crusty fuck."

Here the boy stands. Where did those clothes come from? Why is he wearing sunglasses? How the hell did he manage to style such unruly hair?

Those questions don't matter. As a disembodied spirit, Morisaku Ryosuke is free to twist his astral form as he pleases, and twist it he does.

"Sorry, Kotori-chan," Ryosuke's soul addresses the shocked girl. "I know you told me not to die, but... I've never been the most dependable guy." He floats just above the ground. Behind the spirit, the boy's dead body is drawn together, slowly but surely, rejecting the death handed out to it. "If you want to blame anyone, blame this old bastard." She can't hear him with her ears. She does not see him with her eyes. It is her soul that perceives the ghost's dying will and receives his message.

He understands the true purpose of the test. It's not to see how powerful he is. The idea was to set him up against an unbeatable opponent and test the boy's mettle. It's one thing to crave power, but another entirely to see how one continues to seek it in an un-winnable scenario. To proceed, only one thing is required: The resolve to risk his life.

And risk it he did. Having thrown it away, the boy's insubstantial spirit passed through the wall Ouroboros created for him. That boy, even in death, always sought victory.

It's a strange feeling, being dead. The world feels simultaneously more and less present. His spirit knows freedom a corporeal body never could, but is yet chained to a corpse. Ryosuke knows this world, and though he dislikes it, has made himself comfortable.

"Now, then..."

Now the boy stood there, unharmed. Not his fancy-dressed soul, but his flesh-and-blood body, free of wounds and miraculously in one piece. On the skin near his heart lay a faint red cross, fading with every moment. His clothes were a mess, positively caked with blood and ashes. His eyes were smeared with soot and bore new wrinkles that hadn't been there before. It was easy to tell that Morisaku Ryosuke's return from the afterlife hadn't been an easy one.

But even so...

"Wanna try again, old man?"

He folded his arms, unsteady on his feet but still standing proud. Morisaku Ryosuke wouldn't bow down to anyone, even in such a weakened state.

"They say third time's the charm. Or maybe you can just hand over that hot-head's leash, and we'll call it even."

Ouroboros was damn fun. That's the best praise I can give it and it's all the praise it needs. How many RPs can even claim to have been fun, in the end? And for how long? Maybe a handful of times, surrounded by waiting and boring conversations? Well Ouroboros was damn fun from beginning to end. Forget systems and mechanics; every single post I made in this RP was a blast, and I'll join whatever Snax decides to make in the future.

Ryo was also damn fun, because he didn't give a fuck. Me, I give too many fucks, and it's a personal failing, so I made a character who's the opposite. Gotta revisit him again if the chance arises.

Fortissimo
    Chisana Risu
    Location Unknown - Time Unknown

It repeats.

"I can't do it."

It repeats.

"It's too much.

It repeats.

"I should just give up."

The cycle repeats.

The voices of my friends are impossible to ignore. They burst past every barrier I put up, blowing right through me. In this world I'm only an observer; I can't so much as move a single leaf in these nightmares, only bear witness to their completion and repetition.

I am the Traveller. I pass through places of suffering and entertain those who are unfortunate.

"It's not fair."

This is the unfairness of the world. The most simple, cruel, and real thing there is.

You can't always get what you want.

"I can't fight anymore. My body won't move..."

Shinozaki Tobei curses the world that took away what he treasured most.

He didn't do anything wrong. He just tried his hardest in the best way possible. He trained every day. He pushed himself to the limit. He walked on the path that led to his future with a determined stride that would oppose any headwind.

I don't understand his dream, but I can admire it. He wanted to improve himself.

So how could you do that, world? How could you look at all of his effort and scoff at it like that? Can't you see how hard he tries? Doesn't he deserve something?

"No matter how many times I try, I can't win..."

But this world is Shinozaki Tobei's darkness, where determination is injury.

The fear that hard work won't be enough. That a single life, devoted solely to accomplishing one thing, with all the strength of a man's indomitable will behind it...

...can't do anything at all.

"I'm always too late."

Soga Rikuto wants to do good. It's a little selfish to want to take credit for it, but nobody can fault a cause that noble. He wants make the world a better place, both for him and everyone else, with his own two hands.

"Fortune hates me."

Something outside of his control tramples over that dream. It's not even a failure that can be blamed on his shortcomings as a person; he was simple unlucky.

How can you fight against something like that? When all of your effort is brushed aside by mere chance, like leaves in the wind? Isn't it unfair?

"No matter how fast I run, I'm never on time..."

But this world is Soga Rikuto's darkness, where determination brings pain.

The fear that you are a decaying, drowning rat constantly being pushed down by others with unfair advantages. That fate itself is against you...

...and you have no way to resist it.

"I can't reach anyone."

Chisana Risu speaks. She performs. She wants to make people smile. She pulls animals out of hats and makes things disappear. She wants to make the world a happier place.

"I'm nothing."

The world spits at her dream.

How can you make people happy, it asks, if you don't know a single person? You, who pretends to worry about others while treating everyone the same? The stories you tell are for yourself and no one else.

"They're not listening."

You were the only one listening. You blabbered on, using the rest of the world as the receptacle for your lies. Convincing yourself that you were altruistic instead of self-serving, seeking validation through those more miserable than you.

But shouldn't it not matter? Those words of hope are meant for everyone to share. A great person can be inspired by the smallest, most pathetic thing. So can't insincere wishes also be treasured by someone, somewhere?

"No matter what I say, I can't move anyone..."

But these worlds are Chisana Risu's darkness, where determination only prolongs torture.

An eternity of silence, where her words won't ever reach someone. Drifting from one nightmare to the next, unable to change a thing...

...an eternal Traveller.

"So..."

"So..."

"So..."

"Maybe I should just give up."

"Don't give up!"

I yell it without thinking.

As Shinozaki Tobei kneels in a silent stadium. As Soga Rikuto sits in a jail cell. As millions of others are in the depths of despair.

I call out, even though nobody is listening.

"Keep fighting!"

I scream my lungs out, knowing it's wrong. Telling Shinozaki Tobei to fight on will only make his inevitable defeat more painful. Placing hopes on Soga Rikuto will depress him even more when he lets himself down. Urging on those who are doomed to lose isn't a kindness; it's cruelty. It merely adds to the regrets they'll have to bear.

Determination is pain, harm, and torture.

Instead, I should tell them to give up.

Give up, and accept defeat.

Give up, and be satisfied with the effort you made.

Give up, and sleep, and dream of nicer things.

It's about the journey and not the destination, right? Even if you didn't make it, can't you be happy that you tried? Isn't that my philosophy?

I should be putting on a show for the defeated. A relaxing dirge to send them off at the end of their stories.

Or perhaps a conciliatory letter, urging them to accept reality while offering support and warm wishes.

Not this desperate screeching.

If Tobei-kun had stopped fighting then, he would still have the body he was proud of.

If Rikuto-san had kept his mouth shut, he would still be free to invent something else.

If I hadn't bet on the people trapped inside Odin's darkness, I wouldn't be suffering here.

"It's not over!"

So... why can't I help but deny it?

My voice is gone. I'm an observer. A ghost that can't reach anyone. Without words and without magic, this yelling accomplishes nothing.

It's just selfishness. A promise that doesn't mean anything anymore. This is the ignorance I chained myself to, that has only led to suffering.

These words are useless to begin with. I never helped others. I made them forget their problems for an instant, then left before their temporary smiles faded. This is worth nothing. What use are a few words of encouragement from a stranger? Chisana Risu's value is lower than a loaf of bread.

Telling someone to keep fighting doesn't help them. Even if they heard, nothing good could come of it.

"..."

Words that can't be heard, and won't dispel doubt.

"Don't doubt yourself!"

Words that will burden the listener, and do nothing against fear.

"Don't be afraid!"

Words that have no power, and won't help anyone advance.

"Don't stop moving forward!"

Rejecting that unfairness, I cheer on.

If one will isn't enough to challenge the world and save a million, then let it save a thousand. If not a thousand, then a hundred. If not a hundred, then let it brighten up one day, one moment.

Even the weakest person in the world, if they put their all into it, can make someone smile just once.

"YOU CAN DO IT!"

That's the hopeful principle I live by.

Fort was an uber-shonen fighting RP about magic. My Fort character, Chisana Risu, was a pacifistic stage magician. She was different, and fun to write. At this point the hard numbers had been tossed out in favor of fiat, but in this big climactic moment, rather than using any of her magic... well, I'll just leave some yellow-text down here:

Hopeful Principle
    Something that drives Risu and can be thought to be the foundation of her Magic. As someone who’s determined not to use her powers to hurt others, Risu will seek that answer with all her strength, no matter what gets in her way. “Magic isn’t something that exists to cause pain.” This is a fact she has embraced with all her heart, one she hopes to be able to share with others. Even if all she can do is support people, that’s more than enough.
    [Use 1: Passive. So long as Risu is present in battle, increase the Potential of all her allies by 10. Whenever one of them enters critical condition, increase that character's potential by 10 additional points. Potential values are reset after the battle ends.]
    [Use 2: Passive. Once per battle, if an attack would reduce Risu's WHP to 0, it is reduced to 1 instead. In addition, so long as Risu has not performed any offensive action during a turn she can not be KOed (her HP will be reduced to 1 instead) by attacks with an offensive value of 250 or below.]
    [Use 3: Passive. Once per battle, Risu can heal her allies and herself by the added sum of all her S-Links x10 and cure them from exhaustion.]

Other Actions

1. Cheer On! (Unique Action): This turn, an ally's chances of success rise dramatically. Cannot attack or be used on the same turn one has already attacked in some way.
    Titanomachy
    Jordan J. Jones | HP: 58/90 SP: 16/90
    Location: Sea of UNKNOWN – Field of Ruins (The Stronghold of Defiance)
    Time: Day 5 – Morning
    Turn 6

Jordan nodded.

Yeah. That was a good 'yes'. He didn't know anything about her, but just that declaration was enough.

Jordan straightened, standing fearlessly before the desperate creature. He looked behind him only for a moment, to spare Esther a nod and a smirk.

"Then - watch my back, and try to keep up."

He was off in an instant.

[Xth Gear, First Gear activated]

Most would have slowed down, but Jordan dashed at full speed, as if to deny that mercy. It wasn't a service to himself; rather, Lycao couldn't realize for an instant what his true intentions were. For that, an all-out assault was the absolute minimum, with no pulled punches. Or in this case, pulled muscles.

The sword was bared, as if Esther didn't exist. No, she wasn't there. He forced her out of his mind and body the moment the idea came to fruition.

It was him. All on him. Lycao's eyes, on him.

Thundering down the barrel just as before, Jordan threatened to carve a second rent in Lycao's body.

Of course it wouldn't be so simple. Lycao wouldn't allow a second hit, and even if it landed, it wouldn't kill. Even so, he had to try for it, or at least convince the wolf he was charging in to finish the beast off.

Yes, Sally was gone. So was Adam. He was the only one left, the only force on their side capable of dealing damage. All of Lycao's attention was on him once more, just like earlier.

Notice me! Fear me! Prepare for Jordan J. Jones!

Closer. He couldn't stop, but he needed to get closer.

Closer. He was careening towards the edge, where the only option left was to collide with that wall, but he needed to get closer.

Closer. It wasn't possible to stop in time anymore. His body would collapse if he tried to break off his suicidal charge, but still, he needed to be closer, close enough to smell his breath, close enough to get disemboweled-!

Stop.

The human body is not designed to stop from a full run in an instant. From top speed, something like a dozen meters minimum is needed to gradually slow down and stop. To attempt otherwise is to try and create a brick wall in front of yourself and ram into it at full speed, with all the risks implied by such a foolish act.

Jordan could not stop. He was too close. The human body wasn't built to halt instantly. His only option was to continue his charge and slash at Lycao. He could not stop.

Even so, he stopped.

He had passed the threshold, dedicating himself to that attack, and still, he stopped.

Jordan's sword carved an arc through the air as his swing, at its apex, became a throw. It rocketed in front of him and buried itself in the ground at a sheer angle nearly parallel with the ground.

"AAAAAAAA-!"

His next step never met the ground. He slammed his heel onto the hilt of the sword and instantly all of his weight was transferred to it, halting him in place and throwing Jordan's own momentum at his body. A normal blade would have broken, but then, a normal blade would also have bent in half from the force of slashing through Lycao earlier. It held. Jordan didn't.

"-GH!"

Something cracked. His leg broke in three places, as the force was too much to handle. Surpassing light speed was the same as dropping out of light speed, with all the consequences therein.

Even so, in that instant, when it should not have been possible, when he'd already thrown himself over the edge of the cliff of death and into the jaws of the monster below-!

He stopped.

[Assist Crash II used. Enemy DEF lowered by 5.]

It was a feint that put the body on the line, all to hand off the ball to someone else.

Jordan had calculated it. Esther wasn't nearly as fast as him, but she was fast enough. At that distance, with her speed, she would catch up an instant after he stopped, giving him just enough time.

His leg buckled and Jordan sank to his knees, but that too was part of the plan.

Lycao, after all, was taller than a normal human. Esther would need a stepping stone to get the required height.

It was somewhat embarassing; being stepped on wasn't Jordan's idea of a good time. But just this once he'd excuse it, and lend her his back.

He thrust his hand forward, summoning up the last scraps of his energy to paint a bright red target on Lycao's stupid face.

[Enhancing Strike – Creates a small zero pressure zone in front of a close ranged attack that improves the damage dealt by 25%. Costs 12 SP to create.]

"GO-!"

Titan, oh Titan. You've got blood on your face, Titan. You're hurting, and they can see it. You're shy and janky and imperfect and that's what makes you great, Titan. You're approachable. Down-to-earth. Real. And you just wanna have a good time. That's what's so great about you, Titanomachy.

JJJ is fun to write. Team techs are even more fun to write. This post exemplifies what I was trying to do with him: a dodge-tanky support that steals the spotlight just by being that damn synergistic. This post is him creating a plan to toss a boss kill to an until-then useless NPC, and doing a bunch of crazy madman-level shit to make it happen.

Well, actually, most of JJJ's posts were like that. Admittedly, Titan was also kinda repetitive. Still fun though!

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd post Spinach's adventures in frog-forest-of-fatal-fate if it wasn't as long as Regalia's rulebook.

Blog Entries
    howcouldifuckingforget.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post

metal

water
    light falling over rock

talon claw fire steel

flesh

cut

I

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    this is the post i always think of when i think of moony RP
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    It took me hours to get it to work due to people having different sized monitors. I finally got it to the right size and just took pictures.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Weren't you literally a jacket?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    A Justice Jacket, thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

I was a grandfather clock that became a transformer
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

Blog Entries
    I do actually miss that rp, even if it became a massive meme. It was fun