Page 45 of 72 FirstFirst ... 354043444546475055 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Requiem (Spoilers Thread)

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Requiem was the first time I heard the name Kundry too so don't worry about it, I just look her up sometime ago after we first heard of her
    Wagner made up the character for his opera, that site analyse the several stock characters "Grail Maidens" that may have inspired the character of Kundry
    In the opera, she is cursed by Jesus in the same manner like the Wandering Jew and the Flying Dutchman, to live for eternity (Meteo changed it so she reincarnates with her full memories from her previous lives) until she's set free (aka dies) at the end of the opera

I think Meteo started writing some scenes for HA, if I remember right, and has stayed working on TM ever since. And of course, he made the Fire Girl novels that You mentioned
    thanks for the clarification. No wonder that she call van der decken as her love, they are in the same boat lolz

The great war that make everyone has their own servant also make me curious.
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

If anyone's interested in what Meteo's done previously, I recommend reading the commentary for the first volume of Fire Girl. It's a love letter written by Nasu himself.
    https://firegirlthetranslation.wordp...-1/commentary/

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    "Everyone gets a Servant!" is a better premise than "Someone gets every Servant!," film at 11.
    Go shouldnt have killed all those nameless masters
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost47 View Post
    If anyone's interested in what Meteo's done previously, I recommend reading the commentary for the first volume of Fire Girl. It's a love letter written by Nasu himself.
    https://firegirlthetranslation.wordp...-1/commentary/
    That's sweet

- - - Updated - - -

Btw give my regards to Requiem translator. It's very easy to read.
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    Seconding pretty much everything IRUN said

It's always been the relationships between Masters and Servants that was the real draw and bedrock of the franchise for me. A lot of the spinoffs downplay the human element and treat the waifubait Servants as the main draw, which is almost certainly true but doesn't cater to my specific tastes. I'm the type of guy who thought the Fate route would have been better if Saber and Shirou's relationship was platonic, instead focusing on what it means to sacrifice yourself to an ideal.

So yeah, I guess you could say I'm a monster.
    It depends on the Servant and the Master. With some, yeah, the potential for romance is there, but more often than not I agree the relationship should be about other things, because usually Servants should be so much larger than life it's difficult to see them as romantically stuck to someone they just met and who's much more often than not their clear inferior in a believable way, on top of all the previous baggage both sides bring in.

When GO has all of history's greatest figures present as basically anime characters in a stock love crush of some sort or another (ambiguous as it often may be) with a generic SI vessel with little characterization and no background to play with that's just too jarring to feel anything but awkward.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    It becomes extremely obvious once you see stuff like the Crypters, where the Master actually has a personality and so the relationship is immediately that much more appealing than the SI protagonist. Those still have issues, though, and one big one is that they're the antagonists and thus just don't get as much screentime as, well, Erice or Waver or Shirou or any of the other Masters that people care about.

So if you want a good Master/Servant relationship, make sure that the Master actually has a personality worth speaking of and has enough screentime to show that off.

Living Dead Girl
    All the romance stuff in GO is narratively meaningless fanservice, akin to marrying a boat. Of course it'll be shallow and shitty, that's why whales eat it up. :V

Rich character interaction can sell anything. It's hard to do that between the MC and a herd of characters with a gacha game audience cipher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    and here we come across a curious instance of a prosaic carmen figuratum expressed on multiple semantic strata wherein the increase both of literary temperature as noted by the laterally expanding index and the cognitive fervour rendered in monolithic paragraphs crystallises a sense of spiralling delirium which textually imaged akin to sound waves on a vertical axis could be visually rendered as a sequence of high-energy sustained primal screams emanating thusly the following sentiment: "fuuuuck ooooooff graaand oooordeeer reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Blog Entries
    it's been 4 months, any news on the digital version?

Blog Entries
    Someone's translated chapters 1 and 2. Just found out about this and didn't see anyone else mention this for the last page or so, don't shoot me if this is something everyone knew about.

Ch. 1
    Ch. 2

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Super thanks

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Didn't know chap 2 was TL'd, so thanks.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    “It’s just…it’s just a graveyard, that place. It’s a great big graveyard.” Part of me had grown irritated with the know-it-all expression plastered on Karin’s face and wanted to hurry up and change the topic, so I’d started speaking more harshly than I meant to. But at the same time, these were my true feelings.

“Grail Tournament? What a load of crap. It’s just a game, right? It’s all just make-believe. I’ll never understand what enjoyment people get out of turning Servants into an exhibition. Don’t the fighters know they’re just being turned into commodities to bring more spectators to the show? We twist the ideas they held dear and lay them out for everyone to see, and we trivialise the skills they spent their entire lifetimes perfecting – how can that be ok? Servants aren’t meant to be our slaves!”

Karin stared back at me, not the least bit cowed, but I continued with my tirade.

“Maybe the people in the stands feel like they’re fighting alongside the competitors, but that only lasts until they get bored and find something else. How are they supposed to understand how the Servants in the arena feel from behind a safety barrier?” It was a grotesque farce, that had propagated in order to make Heroic Spirits mistake themselves.

Karin had waited carefully for me to finish my piece, but now she spoke. Her voice was quiet, but laced with anger.

“How dare you make fun of something people are serious about.” She grabbed me by my necktie and pulled me in. From up close, I could see her eyes were blazing.

“Honestly, I’ve never even really paid much attention to the Grail Tournament. But that attitude of yours is wrong, Eri.”

“Huh?”

“How sincere other people are isn’t something you get to decide.”

I immediately made to retort, but something about her gaze told me that this wasn’t up for debate.

“You can call it an exhibition or a farce all you want, but the people who’re in the arena, the people who’re actually there – they’re putting everything they’ve got into making it entertaining for us. Even the Servants – you think they get through to the final rounds just by doing what they’re told? Of course not. What are you trying to say, that nothing’s important unless people are dying? That without the impact of kingdoms falling or ages ending, it’s all just some kind of childish joke? That the kinds of jobs people wrote about in that human history you love so much are the only ones worth doing?”

“That’s not what I’m…”

“You seem to think old-fashioned ideas way outta the reach of the common people are the only things worth caring about, Eri. And you need to cut it out.”

“Well, you wouldn’t understand, would you, Karin? A…a next-gen like you…”
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    The joke's over. In the end you moved on, like you always knew you would. But you had often wondered about that tribe, about what became of them. They were in many ways a very modern people. All that once took the form of an organic interaction – the gossamer thread of comedy that wound unpredictably in and out of everyday discourse – had been replaced by its representation. A social relation had been made into a 'thing', frozen, deadened, preserved like a flower pressed between pages of a book. What had begun as a straightforward compression of communication under the auspices of a textual archive kept in common became a plane of discursivity radically divorced from that archive. What the traveller exposed was that they were no longer people who laughed at jokes, nor were they were people who laughed at numeric references to jokes. They were people who laughed at the references in and of themselves. They laughed at the numbers. What the numbers referred to had become immaterial. Perhaps no-one knew what the actual jokes were; perhaps they had been forgotten for a long time. Perhaps there never had been any jokes to begin with – as far back as you went, it was nothing but numbers. Perhaps any of that. All of that. And yet, you thought. And yet – and yet, who were you...the question raised itself...who were you, to call their comedy impoverished? You with your prejudice, your motivated reasoning, your preconceived notions of what was right and good. Who were you to judge? Could it not be that this tribe had – in the numbers – discovered a radical new form of cognition? Could it not be that in the mere pronunciation of those syllables, those tired signifiers, those utilitarian phonetics – they had found a way to perceive a world of nuance, a resplendence in the sheer joy of language? Could it be that? You would never know; you could never know. That way was barred to you. You left the tribe where you found them, felt the warmth of their cook-fires recede into the horizon as you wandered off, aimless, into the empty desert. For want of any other claim, you had to imagine them happy.
    same energy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by NMR-3 View Post
    Someone's translated chapters 1 and 2. Just found out about this and didn't see anyone else mention this for the last page or so, don't shoot me if this is something everyone knew about.

Ch. 1
    Ch. 2
    Was Chapter 1 already posted? It reads familiarly.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Was Chapter 1 already posted? It reads familiarly.
    Yes, the link for chapter 1 was share a while back. But it seems chapter 2 was updated today so thanks for sharing the links NMR-3!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NMR-3 View Post

Ch. 1
    Ch. 2
    In case you didn't know, that user also translated the prologue, here's the link in case you or anyone else haven't read it: prologue

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    The scene where Erice, Karin, Pran, and Kouyou are with Kuchime in the square is utter kino.

Good characterization and a pleasant interlude--evocative of the best of Fate/stay night's daytime sequences, yet fresh enough to have its own identity, one distinct to /Requiem. If this story were told as a visual novel project like Meteo's older works, that scene'd definitely be CG-worthy. Small wonder it got an illustration of its own, really.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Yeah I'm really like Erice and the other characters. Fate/Requiem looks like it's going to be fun. And the dialogue feels natural honestly. Not stilted or awkward like a lot of translations can be.

US Friend Code
    For all of the rather hesitant reactions I remember Requiem getting on announcement I'm enjoying it a lot so far and am glad to see it being generally well received.

So this spear…was a projection… It wasn’t a genuine…Noble Phantasm…It had been a counterfeit, reproduced by the hand of someone other than its rightful owner.

That would…make sense… If it had been…the true Holy Spear…an arcane bullet couldn’t have…
    But still, there was something in its framework that came extraordinarily close to the genuine article, forged with incredible precision. My lips curled into a self-deprecating smile, at the absurdity of my lapse in judgement and the situation I had been placed in.

The projection’s creator showed no sign of coming to retrieve her spear, or any intention of making sure of the death of her foe. She must have found the satisfaction she sought, believing her vengeance complete. Now, she should no longer have any reason to remain in this town. I prayed that she managed to escape Akihabara before her Saint Graph disappeared in totality…although I reserved the right to register a complaint or two with her, should we ever meet again face-to-face.

Is this standard Gradation Air or more like Shirou's version? It sounds more like Shirou's considering how close of a copy it is.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would imagine it's probably standard, but amplified by the fact that she has seen the genuine Holy Spear multiple times in her life.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)