Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Known Magi and Magecraft Specializations

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Known Magi and Magecraft Specializations

I'm here with something I have been meaning to compile for myself for a while that I hope might help some of you, particularly in your endeavors to write fic and stuff like that. I find that the longer I'm into Type Moon but allow myself to think about other things, the more cumbersome it becomes to remember the extremely large number of magi and what they can do, don't do, would probably do, what is up with their family line's magecraft or if they have one at all, and what not. I figured that having this in an organized format would really help me. I wrote it down in a larger reference thing I'm making for myself for crossovers and such, but I was glad that this actually came together and thought I'd share it.

Please feel free to offer suggestions for corrections or clarifications, but it is deliberately fairly bare-bones for ease of reference. I've included characters that seemed most-central or that I have a personal vested interest in. If you have the same info about someone else, you can reply to this post with it, and if it seems legit and workable I might in turn incorporate it back up here in the OP. I'm not on BL lately, but if I start writing for the fandom again, I might be, but if I vanish again there's pretty easy ways for you to figure out how to contact me to update this.

Please help me crowdsource knowledge.

While I did mostly figure out how to phrase things and relied on my memory first, at You's suggestion, I absolutely would never have been able to do this without You'd patient help and education. You said I didn't need to credit them, but I couldn't bear not to.

Name Magecraft Property Notes
    Emiya Shirou Structural Analysis; Projection; Reinforcement

Later in life learns to generate Reality Marble: Unlimited Blade Works.

Element - Sword
    FSN Calls Structural Analysis "Tracing."
    Tohsaka Rin Conversion (Runes); Curses (Runes); Body Reinforcement

Element - Average One (all common elements)
    FSN Blood → Jewel
    Runes Scandinavian via Edelfelt ancestor, Tokiomi’s mother.
    Curses (Gandr) takes on physical force because of how much mana is given to it.
    Matou Sakura Absorption

Element - Water (Matou)
    Hollow | Imaginary Numbers (Original)

HA - combat supernatural entities by tapping into original element
    FSN
    HA
    Absorption should not be used to directly curse another person because it always comes back to the magecraft user.
    Illyasviel von Einzbern Alchemy; Wish-granting

Illya is a Grail vessel.
    FSN Bird constructs for fighting.

Raw mana energy projectile.
    Irisviel von Einzbern Alchemy (/Healing?)

Iri contains a Grail vessel.
    FZ Bird constructs for fighting.

Can use alchemy to reconstruct organs, may use basic healing outside alchemy or use alchemy for battlefield medicine.
    Emiya Kiritsugu Time Manipulation

Thompson Contender gun with Origin Bullets

Elements - Fire, Earth
    FZ
    Kotomine Kirei Dabbled in many forms of magecraft. Seen to use Body Reinforcement; Healing.

Baptismal Sacrament - Repels spirits

Black Keys - made of mana / energy and can be dematerialized.
    FZ
    FSN
    Black Keys’ original purpose was to force “natural law” back into the flesh of a Dead Apostle / vampire in the form of a weaponized crucifix. Purifying/baptizing the flesh to allow it to return to dust.
    Kayneth Archibald, Lord El-Melloi Spiritual Evocation; Alchemy; Liquid Manipulation

Element - Water, Wind
    FZ Summons ghosts.

Specializes in “flow” as a result of his elements.

Renaissance Alchemy - mercury = fusion of water and wind.
    Sola-Ui Nuada-Re Sophia Ri Spiritual Surgery; Mana Supply / Magus Assistance FZ
    Waver Velvet Suggestion; Barrier; Sense Manipulation; (Poor) Body Reinforcement FZ
    CF
    Sense Manipulation: has blocked his sense of smell and generated internal night vision.
    Uryuu Ryuunosuke Demonology FZ Not raised or consciously a magus. He found a book of demonology in the shed where he had previously killed and hidden the body of his sister which was apparently abandoned by his parents/ancestors and decided to try it out as a means of adding novelty to his hobby: murdering people.
    Matou Kariya None except direct participation in the Grail War. “Training” accelerated by implantation with Crest Worms due to his avoidance of original training as a magus. FZ
    Matou Zouken Absorption

Longevity*
    FZ
    FSN
    * Placed his soul in a Crest Worm and reforms his body.

By the time of FSN, this Crest Worm is in Sakura’s heart.
    Tohsaka Tokiomi Conversion (Runes); Fire Creation / Manipulation FZ
    Natalia Kaminski Succubus-ish Mana Drain/Store as means to Body Reinforcement FZ Descendant of a succubus, can drain mana from a person she has sex with, store it, and later use it for bursts similar to Saber.
    Emiya Norikata Time Manipulation

[Sealing Designated]
    FZ Attempted to create something that would give the immortality effect of becoming a Dead Apostle without the mindlessness or vampirism.
    Aozaki Touko Puppet-making; Runes

Projection Lantern - Cat

Suitcase - Monster
    KnK Puppet-making includes dolls, prosthetics, up to and including full, working exact replicas of her own body which she can transfer into should one of her bodies be killed.

Runes include runestone and fire rune drawn using cigarette flame.
    Aozaki Aoko Mana Burst; Close Combat using mana and martial arts M
    T
    Uses like shooting lasers.
    Luviagelita Edelfelt Conversion (Runes); Curses (Runes)

Element - Earth
    CF Conversion using jewels, like Rin.
    [Caster] Gilles de Rais Grimoire FZ Grimoire can summon a bunch of Lovecraftian horror tentacle monster type things - Cthulhu and pals. Rejuvenation spells. Spell used to enthrall/entrance children. Crystal ball/remote viewing.
    [Caster] Medea From the Age of Gods, magecraft has many fewer limitations.

Element - Wind
    FSN
    [Caster/Lancer] Cú Chulainn Runes F/SN
    F/E
    GO
    Has been shown to employ runes for tracking, creating fire, creating a defensive barrier, and imposing one-on-one duels. It has also been stated he can temporarily replicate various Skills (such as Clairvoyance and Magic Resistance) and enhance himself. The Caster version has been shown to use runes for direct attacks and to copy Scáthach's Gate of Skye Noble Phantasm.
    [src]

Property Key:
    Fate/Zero = F/Z | Fate/stay night = FSN | Hollow Ataraxia = HA | Case Files = CF | Kara no Kyoukai = KnK | Mahoyo = M | Tsukihime = T | Fate/Extra = F/E | Fate Grand Order = GO

Template for Including More Stuff:

Copy + Paste this and add what you want to add. First three sections are required, fourth is optional.

Name:
    Magecraft:
    Property:
    Notes:
    Last edited by Prix with a Silent X; January 10th, 2019 at 01:16 AM.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Nice! Thanks for that, Prix!

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Uuuh it's good that you include case files, but no one yet from Apoc and Fake

- - - Updated - - -

Kairi Sisigou
    -Necromancy: use organs or parts of body to become bullet and bomb
    Also wind spell
    Hmmm and a bit knowledge of poison?

Darnic: Can make eternal youth by eating baby's soul
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Blog Entries
    You're welcome Spoony!

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Rebellion13 View Post
    Uuuh it's good that you include case files, but no one yet from Apoc and Fake

- - - Updated - - -

Kairi Sisigou
    -Necromancy: use organs or parts of body to become bullet and bomb
    Also wind spell
    Hmmm and a bit knowledge of poison?

Darnic: Can make eternal youth by eating baby's soul
    Darnic is Apocypha right? Which thing is Kairi from?

I included people I was interested in and knew about; I've seen most of the Apocrypha anime and read the original Fake light novel, but don't know as much about them. Isn't a prejudice thing, just an area of interest/consumption.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Other Links

Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Kairi is also Apocrypha

Other mages would be Fiore, Flatt, Caules, Celenike, Gordes. Though if your included Servants that expands it even further since a lot of thrm have magecraft not just the Casters.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Blog Entries
    Well, like I said this table is just for my own personal reference in terms of what I already included. While I may be interested in adding others as I go even without help, I decided to share it in case it would be of use to other people. If it's something I'm not very familiar with and don't have much of any context for in terms of investment, it's just WORDS, as you might imagine. Anyway, if you want to add people to it, I edited the OP to include a template thing to help you organize it so I can sift and copy+paste.

Other Links

Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    I think you're missing Sakura's (Juusokai) Curse Boundary Layer, it's part of her dark magic and works like a RM of sort.

Is it something like this that you want, Prix?

Name: [Caster / Lancer] Cú Chulainn
    Magecraft:
    Runes
    Property:
    F/SN, F/E, GO
    Notes:
    Has been shown to employ runes for tracking, creating fire, and imposing one-on-one duels. It has also been stated he can temporarily replicate various Skills (such as Clairvoyance and Magic Resistance) and enhance himself. The Caster version has been shown to use runes for direct attacks and to copy Scáthach's Gate of Skye Noble Phantasm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    I think you're missing Sakura's (Juusokai) Curse Boundary Layer, it's part of her dark magic and works like a RM of sort.
    Could you explain this a bit more extensively? I will summarize it, but I need to know more specifically what I'm summarizing. I haven't read much Sakura stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post

Magecraft:
    Runes
    Property:
    F/SN, F/E, GO
    Notes:
    Has been shown to employ runes for tracking, creating fire, and imposing one-on-one duels. It has also been stated he can temporarily replicate various Skills (such as Clairvoyance and Magic Resistance) and enhance himself. The Caster version has been shown to use runes for direct attacks and to copy Scáthach's Gate of Skye Noble Phantasm.
    Yeah! Absolutely. Thanks.

Other Links

Spoiler:

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Wait doesn't Shirou call Gradation Air, "Projection" or "Tracing" or something?

I thought "Trace On" was simply his aria?

Blog Entries
    Both of you are too humble.

This is coolio.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Wait doesn't Shirou call Gradation Air, "Projection" or "Tracing" or something?

I thought "Trace On" was simply his aria?
    This sounds like a bit of a split-hair, but if you care to explain? Like I mainly just want to know what he is talking about and doing rather than having something that's hyper-detailed. But if it is an important distinction, I'll make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Historia View Post
    Both of you are too humble.

This is coolio.
    Thanks!

Other Links

Spoiler:

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post

Magecraft:
    Runes
    Property:
    F/SN, F/E, GO
    Notes:
    One more. He can use all his runes to creat barrier that can defend against NP
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

True, true! Let me revise, then:

Magecraft:
    Runes
    Property:
    F/SN, F/E, GO
    Notes:
    Has been shown to employ runes for tracking, creating fire, creating a defensive barrier, and imposing one-on-one duels. It has also been stated he can temporarily replicate various Skills (such as Clairvoyance and Magic Resistance) and enhance himself. The Caster version has been shown to use runes for direct attacks and to copy Scáthach's Gate of Skye Noble Phantasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Prix with a Silent X View Post
    This sounds like a bit of a split-hair, but if you care to explain? Like I mainly just want to know what he is talking about and doing rather than having something that's hyper-detailed. But if it is an important distinction, I'll make it.
    Well I thought he normally called his particular variant of Gradation Air, ",Tracing", but I may be wrong.

Personally I think a better "note" for Shirou, would be noting even his "normal" Gradation Air copies don't fade away on their own due to interference from the World, like with what happens with "standard" Gradation Air as far as Rin and other magi experience, but can last months on end with no apparent degredation. And that his copies seem to only break due to him realizing the image of it in his head is crappy.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Could you explain this a bit more extensively? I will summarize it, but I need to know more specifically what I'm summarizing. I haven't read much Sakura stuff.
    Her shadow is the medium for her attacks, but her original element enables a void that works kind of like an innate bounded barrier, there have been jokes about it being like a holodeck, except the projection is real-ish. What Mizukume was talking about was when she was blackened it also acted as focus for the taint, so it's called "juusoukai". Like said before, ber shadow is the medium for her attacks, so it has spears of shadow coming out of the void, and restrains others, but can be used for transport. She seems to be able to use it post taint, since there was a drama CD where she puts Rider on time out inside for getting frisky in a family restuarant. It's also used on Rin in joke scenes, but the most famous parts you see it are the bad ends "Oceans Depths" where Shirou get engulfed unknowingly and walks for hours inside it. And Femme Fatale, where Rin relives Sakura's life from her perspective through a simulation when she gets engulfed. Its frankly a really interesting ability we don't get to see enough of.

Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    Her shadow is the medium for her attacks, but her original element enables a void that works kind of like an innate bounded barrier, there have been jokes about it being like a holodeck, except the projection is real-ish. What Mizukume was talking about was when she was blackened it also acted as focus for the taint, so it's called "juusoukai". Like said before, her shadow is the medium for her attacks, so it has spears of shadow coming out of the void, and restrains others, but can be used for transport. She seems to be able to use it post taint, since there was a drama CD where she puts Rider on time out inside for getting frisky in a family restuarant. It's also used on Rin in joke scenes, but the most famous parts you see it are the bad ends "Oceans Depths" where Shirou get engulfed unknowingly and walks for hours inside it. And Femme Fatale, where Rin relives Sakura's life from her perspective through a simulation when she gets engulfed. Its frankly a really interesting ability we don't get to see enough of.
    What you say about the holodeck aspect, is that something Sakura could do innately with her original powers? Or is it something she can only do due to being hooked up to the Grail and having unlimited energy essentially?

Or is it an aspect of the Matou traits?

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The only difference seemingly between the time when she is hooked up to the grail and normal is the regeneration, free usage of power, and her Shadow Giants aren't as big without the backup. I think of it like wifi connection versus landline with the other side as a possible reason for that if we are talking post route, because she still has great power post route, its just the scenario in Hollow, whatever allowed her to be free there, doesn't have the same connection.
    Since she is able to pull things into the void (even in joke scenes, so who knows). Whether she can still go inside it and use it for transport or give people a Silent Hill like simulation is up in the air.
    But there are other applications she used pretty creatively, like the fact she inhabited one of her familiars and used it as a clone to give a message to Rin and Shirou the night of day 15(Ilya explained early on about magi inhabiting their familiars for a limited time), she did that two times in HF, one the scene I mentioned, and the other she explains in Femme Fatale where she said she had a clone waiting for Shirou at the entrance when he saw her looking comatose as he walked up to her.
    Then there was the fact she can see and hear long distances just through her shadow, and she is just surprised it reached that far without her knowing, not that possible.
    There was also the part where she tricked Rin's familiars which were watching her and switched with Rider to get out of the house.

I even remember there was a time I joked about her being perfect for ninjutsu training. Also, the restraining part and absorption is likely the only part dealing with the Matou, it doesn't explain how she can just make stuff happen in that world. Maybe it's the Rheingold enabling a facsimile of Wishcraft, but it's never explained as far as I know, and likely never will be. Hopefully Nasu finally, FINALLY gives up the goods sometime in HF's production regarding some aspects not explained.
    Last edited by Altima of the Gates; January 1st, 2019 at 10:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Catching up on this thread and trying to get my head around stuff. Please be patient! That's what this is for. Since I was on here last, I actually read the lparchive play-through of HF for unrelated fannish reasons, so I kind of get what we're talking about with regard to Sakura more. However, I still have some questions about how to boil these things down.

1. (warellis) What is an example of Gradation Air besides? Because the way you are discussing it, it makes it sound like that the projection is the part you are referring to here. However, it was my understanding that what Shirou is doing when he uses the 'aria' "Trace On," is actually creating a mental blueprint/map in his head from which to create the projection??? When I get that worked out I can add that his projections don't degrade, as described, though.

2. (Atlima & warellis) Alright, so Sakura retains her shadow/dark abilities after HF? I haven't read HA, but I do have HF under my belt now as mentioned. I understood that her Imaginary / Void element thing was one of the driving forces behind the whole Angra Mainyu trying to manifest through her thing, but I thought its instantly destructive and absorbing quality had at least something to do with the fact that she was the Dark / False Grail or whatever. You can see how this is hard to boil down into a basic reference sheet kind of format, which is the issue I'm still having with adding it.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Prix with a Silent X View Post
    Catching up on this thread and trying to get my head around stuff. Please be patient! That's what this is for. Since I was on here last, I actually read the lparchive play-through of HF for unrelated fannish reasons, so I kind of get what we're talking about with regard to Sakura more. However, I still have some questions about how to boil these things down.

1. (warellis) What is an example of Gradation Air besides? Because the way you are discussing it, it makes it sound like that the projection is the part you are referring to here. However, it was my understanding that what Shirou is doing when he uses the 'aria' "Trace On," is actually creating a mental blueprint/map in his head from which to create the projection??? When I get that worked out I can add that his projections don't degrade, as described, though.
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...#post-36500164
    Quote Originally Posted by fallacies, post: 36500164, member: 32825
    Explicitly, Tracing isn't normal.

The World rejects and purges the output of standard Projection Magecraft very quickly, as it recognizes Projected objects as illegal replicas of real existences; an "original" must exist for Projection to work. However, even Shirou's failed Projections from before he could properly access his circuits stick around until they're explicitly broken -- leading Rin to conclude that he's in fact bringing forth something that never existed in the first place.

This goes against everything that Rin knows about Projection, and magecraft in general. That is, within the scope of the magecraft that Rin is familiar with, anything that the magus brings forth "must be extant to begin with, somewhere." The law of Equivalent Exchange is being broken.

Rin consequently declares that Shirou isn't a magus -- but immediately turns around and says that what he's using may be a deteriorated form of "a certain magecraft" (that presumably falls outside the category of disciplines that she considers to be proper magecraft). She describes his process as "nothing short of Ideation encroaching upon Reality" -- which happens to be invoked within the explanation of Curses / Cursecraft. If indeed Curses is what Rin is describing, it would explain why she states that Shirou isn't a magus; the Clock Tower doesn't consider Curses as proper magecraft.

EMIYA later implies that Rin's assumptions aren't entirely valid -- but still, the takeaway is that Shirou's Projection / Tracing probably doesn't rely upon the Mystery that forms the basis of standard Projection -- "the creation of an illegal replica." Given Rin's reaction, it may be that nothing in Occidental Foundation Magecraft justifies Shirou's abilities; no Foundation is applicable.
    Later in Ataraxia, Rin mentions how Shirou's copies are so good even specialized appraisers at the Clock Tower would have trouble distinguishing them.
    Last edited by warellis; January 10th, 2019 at 07:40 PM.