Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: But For a Sword (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

Blog Entries
    [x] Staff of Dark Flame
    [x] Shield gauntlets
    [x] Health Kits

[x] Staff of Dark Flame
    [x] Dragonhide cloak
    [x] Health Kits
    Last edited by shanagan; January 11th, 2019 at 12:36 AM.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]Staff of Dark Flame
    [x]Dragonhide cloak
    [x]Health Kits

[x] Dragonhide cloak
    [x] Shield gauntlets
    [x] Health Kits

Blog Entries
    You guys will need some form of magical protection for the team when spell casters show up. Since Phelan already will draw most aggro and has the physical protection, regenerating magical shields (gauntlets) make more sense than some extra physical layer.

Health kits are there for the inevitable wounds that pass through that.

[x] Dragonhide cloak
    [x] Shield gauntlets
    [x] Health Kits

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I see [x] Dragonhide Cloak and [x] Health Kits will take it, but what of the last item...

Do you want...?

[ ] Staff of Dark Flame
    [ ] Shield gauntlets
    [ ] Something Else (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 11th, 2019 at 04:57 AM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    And we end up with one superfluous item, of course. Now we either end up being a second tank with weak dps (for no reason) or we go for more dps at the cost of the magical protection (the one the team would completely lack). Seriously, what the hell?

Well, if people are so set on failing the challenge, I suppose there is no harm in abstaining myself from voting for a couple weeks or so.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If you ll want, I'll add in an option for another item, aside from the ones currently tied.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    No, don't bother Alf. I'll just be a spectator for a while.

I just don't understand the need for a second phys res character when you have already one who fills that role perfectly (heck, we chose Phelan as partner for that very reason). Have you guys never played a rpg in your life?
    Last edited by Daiki; January 11th, 2019 at 05:07 AM.

[X] Shield gauntlets

Weak DPS he says. Ha. What happen to the shadow attack with his dual wands? I think that is still firepower.

Blog Entries
    Isn't a given that if Quirrell gives you weaponry and protections for a challenge that you will need the added power to succeed (or have a much easier time at least)? It's not like Shinji can spam his dark hand nor is he using a bottomless energy well. There will a lot of mobs to deal with, which should make people consider if Shinji's basic damage is enough for this scenario. Unless you think the added gear was just there for decorum?

So yes, weak dps since you'll be using your curses and destruction power against a horde of undead (which are not as easy to stop as beings who feel pain or go down with a missing leg or such) that comes with all kind of flavors. And we both know that fire only will not carry you through. And again, it's not dual casting shadow hands, since it would obliterate the second wand, unlike the staff. Something I'm sure you're aware since we discussed this with Alf.

It's like you guys forget it's year two of BfaS on Hard mode.

edit: Fair enough, main point still stands.
    Last edited by Daiki; January 11th, 2019 at 04:11 PM.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]Staff of Dark Flame

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I should point out that his second wand is currently the Olive and Chimera Core wand from Sion. This one is not likely to be consumed, as it's not a yang core.

[X] Staff of Dark Flame

I just do not get the big issue here. Shinji's wands are fine. They are fast and they can both channel his dark powers in them. Think of them as submachine guns. The Staff is more of an shotgun or a battle rifle. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

But what is important is making sure you are able to still fight, which requires protection. Which is why I rather double layer protection with the Dragonskin AND the Gauntlets. There is no point of big weapons if you die in the process.

Blog Entries
    Well then, feel free to proceed. But know that I'll be in the gallery laughing when your pew pew lasers become ineffective against a strong barrier. Proving that yes, sometimes size (and hardness?) matters.
    Last edited by Daiki; January 12th, 2019 at 02:50 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Staff of Dark Flame

Phelan looked over the selection of gear that Shinji had chosen for himself, whistling appreciatively as he saw the dragonhide cloak and the staff of carved dragonbone, etched with runes glowing with dark flames.

"Nice combination," the earl's son told him. "You look like some powerful magus there, with that staff and cloak."

Shinji felt rather warm inside on hearing such words, as he'd wanted someone to say them to him for a very long time, even if the person saying it now was terribly uninformed about that side of the world. It wasn't as if he could expect such from his family, who had never given him the time of day, or from most of his friends, who had idea what a magus even was. Frankly, he didn't know where Phelan had stumbled across the word - probably while trying to learn a few new words to impress Selina.

Either way though, he appreciated it, even if it would mean so much more if it came from senpai.

Shinji took a moment to assess just what Phelan was wearing as well, and found himself surprised.

...surprised that the other boy hadn't chosen to wear goblin-forged plate and dual-wield longswords mostly, combining the goblin-forged, basilisk venom-imbued blade with the vampiric blade that Amber had apparently obtained for him, but it still counted.

Instead, the earl's son was kitted out with goblin-silver mail, shield gauntlets, and...

"...wait a second, are those the proprietary fiendfyre potions?" Shinji squeaked, feeling the urge to back away slowly.

"Of course," Phelan replied jovially. "We need something in case there are really big groups of them, right? I mean, I trust myself to take down any one of them at a time, and I'm pretty sure you can put a few undead on their backs, but what if there's a bunch of them at once?"

Shinji opened his mouth to object, but found himself closing it, as the earl's son had actually brought up a reasonable point.

Discreetly, he tried to pinch himself. This had to be a dream, right...?

"Hey, what are you doing, Matou?"

Or maybe it wasn't, in which case, something told him that this upcoming challenge was going to be very, very painful.

What is your approach?

[ ] Go in fast and hard, the key is breaking through to the end
    [ ] Slow and steady, it won't do to get careless and get wiped out
    [ ] Using Phelan as bait while you try to pick off stragglers
    [ ] (write-in)

[X] Slow and steady, it won't do to get careless and get wiped out

That is how I play that level in halo. While I am sure it has far more nasty tricks up it sleeve, it is a good starting point. Rushing would work if we went horse and knight on this.

[X] Slow and steady, it won't do to get careless and get wiped out