Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 49121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: But For a Sword (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Use the Kitchens (ask Miyuki to cast the Muffliato charm) - Invite Miyuki, Amber, Selina, Natsumi, Phelan and Ernie.

And what does he tell them, exactly?

[ ] That he may be monstrous, but he is not a monster
    [ ] That this is all the fault of his grandfather and his sister
    [ ] That they should not fear what seems dark, for there is only power...
    [ ] That he has only mastered his power due to Selina's patience
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]That he may be monstrous, but he is not a monster

Seems like a safe choice with main point he is not evil.

[x]That he may be monstrous, but he is not a monster

Might as well get this moving again.

[X] That he may be monstrous, but he is not a monster

While I don't think that this answer is in question when it comes to a lot of his friends, like Nats, it is the answer I think that Shinji would start with. Almost in an attempt to convince himself of this. Or an rejection of being a monster. I suspect that this talk will need to have Shinji go into more details about everything but first and foremost Shinji is certainly going to push this line in that hopes that if he says it often enough and loud enough, that it might be true...

Blog Entries

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Chapter 8. Unexpected Revelations

After having to tap into soul magic in order to pass the first level of Quirrell’s latest challenge, Matou Shinji was not looking forward to what lay ahead. After all, if he’d learned anything about the way the Professor designed these sorts of scenarios, it was that they were designed to push someone to their limits – and beyond – by adapting to whatever they showed, meaning that he was already having to draw upon his darker powers now, then…the next few levels would likely be incredibly painful to deal with.

‘I mean, I could always hope not, but…Quirrell has never been so merciful.’

Better to expect the worst, he thought.

Sadly, the boy’s hunch was proven accurate, when after stepping off the elevator onto the second level, Shinji noted the presence of a new type of enemy.

Aside from the infector forms which skittered across the hallway, there were two armored humanoids looking about, with strange tentacles and tendrils protruding from where their faces would normally have been. The first of these discolored, twisted inferi seemed to be wearing plate armor, while the other was wearing a wyvern-hide cloak and carrying a chillingly familiar rapier wrought of gleaming bone.

‘…that thing again. The thing that was making me whisper
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh ...wgah'nagl fhtagn when I touched the hilt…’

What grim power it held, and how it would affect someone who was struck by it, the boy didn’t really want to know.

"Ah, combat forms," the glowing form of Penitent noted airily, though before the boy could ask what combat forms were supposed to be or how to kill them, the poltergeist floated away, disappearing into a large air vent halfway up the wall.

'Well, shit...'

"Any bright ideas, Matou?" Phelan asked, eying the twisted monstrosities with an oddly intense expression. "You can handle the swarm easily enough I think, but the two others with it...? Think I could take ‘em with my sword?”

Unlike Phelan, who seemed almost eager to fight one of the "combat forms" before them, Matou Shinji was not as...sanguine about their prospects of defeating two armed and armored foes. Granted, the inferi probably couldn't use the cursed rapier with any great skill, but something told him that these wouldn't die as easily as the bloated, waddling wretches from the previous floor.

…and even those had nearly killed him.

'Being undead, it’s not as if pain will disable them, or they have some vital organ to pierce. Well, except their heads, but decapitation is so much easier said than done.’

Even when facing armored normal foes, that would be the case.

Here, when he was up against hostiles in armor, with one even wearing gleaming “indestructible” goblin silver plate, he somehow didn’t think things would be any easier.

‘Sure, the other one isn’t in plate, but…its wyvern-hide cloak is about the same quality as
    mine.’

The boy sighed, his thoughts drifting to the bespectacled blonde who he considered a sister of sorts. Given her stories of adventure, and how often she’d mentioned her brother’s party having to deal with the undead, no doubt she’d have some suggestions for him. Even if it wasn’t something brilliant, what she had to offer had to be better than the thought that even if the armor was indestructible, the contents might not be.

"...you still have some fiendfyre vials, right?" the Japanese boy asked offhandedly.

"Yeah. I have three, why?" Phelan questioned, frowning as he glanced at Shinji. “You’re not thinking we should just toss one at them, are you?”

"Got a better idea?"

"Well, no,” Phelan admitted, looking away as he grabbed a vial. “It…it just seems like a waste when there are only two of them. We only have so many vials – if we use them all up now…”

“Then let’s not use them all,” Shinji shot back, before shaking his head. “Look, I know it seems like a pretty big waste. But there's only two of us, and they're more heavily armored than we are. If we get tangled up with fighting them, and a swarm of infectors…or those bloated things…drop out of…oh… " He glanced to the side. "Out of that airvent or something, how doomed would you say we are on a scale of 1 to 10?"

"...eleven," the earl’s son growled, grudgingly conceding the point with a nod. "Fine, we'll do it your way."

So they did, levitating a vial of fiendfyre potion over the rapier wielder, as they deemed him the bigger threat, since he had a weapon, while the other only had tentacles and limbs and too-tough flesh. When they released the spell, gravity reasserted itself and the vial came crashing down upon the head of the figure, spilling its volatile contents over the hapless rapier wielder, and onto the floor, with some of the some of the liquid splattering onto the armor-clad combat form.

As it touched the air, the potion ignited into terrible red flames, with the intense heat of the infernal fire causing all of the swarmers to simply burst.
    The undead might not feel pain, but even they were subject to the laws of the world.

As the fire consumed the flesh under the armor, eating away at muscles, sinew and bone, the figure in the wyvern-hide cloak lurched, staggered, twisted and turned, eventually crashing into a wall as it became a pyre, with the flames growing hotter and hotter as they devoured armor, sword and flesh and bone, leaving only ashes.

Sadly, the figure in goblin-silver plate had not been so affected, and even as the splatters of fluid on its armor began to catch fire, it let out a dangerous rasp, head turning lazily towards the direction from which the vial that had killed its partner in crime had come

Noting the two young boys in the distance, the corpse began to run, arms outstretched as if to embrace both Matou and Phelan, even as the fire began to spread.

And behind the boys, the air vent was beginning to make a strange sort of gurgling noise.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" Shinji cried as the monster rushed at them, the spell already on his lips, for had he not been the one to suggest levitating the fiendfyre vial that had destroyed its partner?

Yet...his spell accomplished absolutely nothing, both when he said it, and when Phelan cried out the incantation as well.

‘No. No…focus…’

It was close now, just a matter of meters.

If they failed again it would reach them, and no matter how good they were, they couldn’t stop fiendfyre if their lives depended on it.

…which it did, at least as far as this simulation went, since Shinji didn’t trust that Quirrell hadn’t seen fit to include the sensation of burning to ashes in the sorts of experiences the book could provide.

“Again!” Shinji roared, thrusting his dragonbone staff outward with desperation fueling his words, with raw, desperate need lacing his voice. This time…this time the spell worked, with the burning, armored corpse being lifted into the air...just in time for a swarm of infection forms to pour out of the vent behind them.

"Oh bugger this!" Phelan groaned, instinctively jerking around at the sound. As he turned, so too did his wand, pulling the burning inferius through the air, and Shinji after it.

"What the—" the Japanese boy hissed as he went flying, the staff falling from his hands as it – and he – hit the ground, like the inferius that crashed amidst the infection forms, the roaring hellfire on it leaping to the new hosts hungrily, as they popped off, one after another, in a cacophonous din that nearly deafened him.

They leapt through the air as they burned, trying to get on him, trying to take their revenge, but he reached out and somehow, out of need, called it to his hand, with jet-black lightning tearing from his staff into the armored figure, until it and all the infection forms nearby simply...crumbling away into ash, leaving Shinji alone, breathing hard, his fingers tingling.

"Hmhmhm, oh, there you are," Penitent noted, as the strange poltergeist drifted down out of the airvent. At the sound, a spellbeam lanced through the poltergeist's form, with a wave of dark lightning following it – which the poltergeist dodged – as the boys had cast before they could stop themselves. The poltergeist seemed unaffected, however, only looking down at them oddly. "Strange. You are both quite twitchy. Did something happen?"

"D...d...did something happen?!" Shinji sputtered incredulously, feeling his fingers begin to sharpen as he glared at the flippant poltergeist, thinking that perhaps he should just give in to his rage and— "You—! You little—!"

"Ah ah," the poltergeist chided. "Language. Even if words can never harm me, it is bad form to be so crude around people, you know. Oh, and do mind those claws – they're not very polite."

"Claws?" Phelan echoed, glancing from the poltergeist to Shinji. "Matou doesn't have claws." Yet Shinji had twisted around, his body trembling as he fought for calm, hiding his hands. "Hey - what's wrong?"

"N-nothing," Shinji said quickly. Almost too quickly.

"...it doesn't sound like nothing," Phelan said cautiously. "Are you sure you're alright? I uh...I didn't get you hurt, did I? I mean, if you were, you couldn't have done that cool lightning trick…right?"

"Heh...yeah, that's right," Shinji stated, shaking his head. "A trick I'll use on the little ghost if it doesn't explain exactly what happened."

"How rude. And to think I unlocked the next door for you!" the poltergeist huffed.

"...the next...door?" Phelan echoed.

"How many are there on this level?"

"Oh, just two more."

"Two...fine," Shinji grumbled, feeling the rage recede, telling himself the lie that there was no emotion, there was peace, no ignorance, only knowledge. "Let's get this over with."

"Do you need a rest?" Phelan asked with concern. "You really don’t look so good.”

"I'm fine, Phelan. Drop it already," the Japanese boy hissed.

"Whoa...ok, Matou – I don't know what your issue is, but we're friends here, ok?" Phelan questioned, with Shinji just staring at him for a second before nodding and looking away.

"...right, right, sorry," the Japanese boy said, shaking his head. "Having some undead monster try to smash my face in isn’t exactly my idea of a good time.”

“Well, its not mine either, though at least you have that dark lightning of yours to fall back on," the Earl's son agreed, before tilting his head in curiosity. "Say, how do you do that lightning trick anyway?” he asked. “Think you could teach me?”

"...it’s not something I could teach even if I wanted to – and I don't want to," Shinji said bluntly, shaking his head as his jaw tightened, as did his grip on his weapons. "You don't have what it takes."

"You mean, I'm not an obscurial?" Phelan countered just as bluntly, with Shinji flinching at the question.

"I-I don't know what you—"

"Look, I'm not stupid Matou. Given how much talking about your family...bothers you, how Granger made that terribly unsubtle comment about obscurials back when she seemed like she wanted to kill you, as well as the fits you had when you were staying with us..."
    Shinji glowered, his expression stormy given how obvious Phelan made this all seem, until...

"Unsubtle? You of all people are calling someone unsubtle?"

The earl's son huffed at that.

"This and that are two different things."

"Really? I'd love to see how."

"I can be subtle if I want to be,” Phelan insisted, though Shinji was less than inclined to take him at his word. “I mean, Amber is my twin after all," he added. "I just don't like that kind of thing."

"What kind of thing?"

"The whole business of hiding who I am and what I want, of pretending to be nice, only to pierce an enemy when they least expect it," Phelan explained. "We're a bit like the weapons we wield, I guess. She's the patient one who does only what is needed, slipping past people's defenses and keeping them off balance. I prefer the straightforward approach."

"Wearing people down or overwhelming them with your personality, you mean?"

"Well, it works, doesn't it?"

"...that’s fair," Shinji conceded, before shaking his head. "Right. We've been talking too long. We have some undead to er..." Kill somehow wasn't the right word, so...

"Turn into worm food?" Phelan suggested, with Shinji twitching at his companion's choice of words.

"...something else, please."

Phelan glanced at Shinji oddly.

"Don't like worms?"

"Not the way my...sister does," the Japanese boy said coldly.

"...your sister likes worms?" Phelan questioned. "You mean Selina, or—"

"The one in Japan," Shinji replied, shaking his head. "She's rotten enough inside that her heart might as well be made of them."

"...not the most pleasant image, admittedly."

"Wasn't meant to be. But well—"

"—fine, fine, I won't call them that if you're hung up about the word. Wouldn't want to open that can of—"

He stopped just short of completing that sentence as Shinji stared at him with cold, dead eyes.

"...ok, ok, I get it. Less talking, more...making the undead...redead."

"Phelan?"

"...yes?"

"Shut up."

To vent his frustration, Shinji found himself eliminating the next few groups of inferi with his dark lightning, tearing them apart one by one as they tried to charge at him, to overwhelm him with speed and power. His dark flames and cutting arcs of shadow cared little enough for armor, the weapons his foes carried, or numbers, everything they touched was erased – though this was far more wearying than he liked to let on.

By the time they cleared out the floor and made their way to the lift, Matou Shinji was moving much more slowly than before, his limbs feeling heavy - or was it that there was less of him to pull those limbs along? It felt like there was less anyway, but he didn't know for sure.

As he pressed on, it reached the point that Phelan actually asked if he was ok as they rode the lift upwards, which was about the point when Shinji began to wonder if he’d pushed things too far, only he’d never admit it in front of the other boy.

He did have his pride, after all.

"I'm fine, really," the boy stated as the lift ground to a halt, the doors opening upon yet another floor full of inferi.

"If you say so."

“I do.”

With that, they stepped out onto the next floor, where there were more combat forms...only this time, instead of swords or other weapons, they had wands. To be precise, there are four of them, with one wearing plate and carrying a dragonbone staff, while the other three wearing wyvren-hide robes and carrying normal wands.

What made Shinji worry most though, was the half-open satchel of potions on the waist of one of them, with the potions inside...

"...those are Fiendfyre potions," he heard someone say, only realizing a moment later that it had been he who had spoken. ‘I’m more tired than I thought…’ "Any ideas?"

"...we could send the ghost?"

"Excuse me!" the wraith – Penitent – sniffed. "I am no mere ghost. I am a poltergeist. To accuse me of being such a limited being is quite—"

"We could send the poltergeist?" Phelan corrected, his voice a forced whisper.

"I say again, how rude! After I’ve done for you, identifying the threats you face, opening doors so you can proceed, telling you what lies ahead, you want me to hurl myself at these wand-bearing abominations? Are you quite mad?"

"...would you rather distract them, or would you rather I erase you with my dark lightning?" Shinji asked testily. "The choice is yours."

"Y-you...! Well, if it has come to that, I suppose I can do your bidding. Just this once."

The poltergeist drifted forward towards the inferi, the gleam of its knives quite cold in the light as it approached silently – then struck, drawing the attention of all four enemies as it grabbed something from one of them.

Spellbeams blazed through the air as Phelan and Shinji advanced, with the sword-armed boy slashing one in the back while Shinji used his dark lightning to cripple it from the side, a move that seemed to go well until—

Clink

It was a quiet sound, really. A mere tinkle amidst the din of battle, but it was that sound that sealed Phelan's fate, as a vial of fiendfyre potion struck the ground right in front of the boy, the volatile liquid splattering onto his armor and igniting, with Phelan looking down with a strangled Help on his lips, even though it was impossible to put out fiendfyre.

Every wizard who studied the Dark Arts at all knew that.

Oh, perhaps one could force it to move aside, or change it into something else, if one was an unmatched master of transfiguration (as Albus Dumbledore was said to be), but otherwise, once someone was stricken with Fiendfyre, the wretched flames of destruction would burn until there was nothing left, with no amount of potion or flame-freezing charm, or water capable of protecting someone from its effects.

As such, every wizard knew that trying to save someone from even the smallest tongues of hellfire was useless, that one shouldn't even try, as it would usually lead to them being consumed as well.

Of course, Matou Shinji was no wizard, as he would be the first one to argue, and so when Phelan was splattered with the liquid fiendfyre, the boy wasn't about to leave his comrade to die...even if Phelan had left him to suffer the consequences of being found next to a corpse a year ago, but that was another matter.

Yet what could he do? Already, the fire was spreading up Phelan's leg, even as it melted the chainmail he was wearing, with the boy trying his best not to scream as blistering hot metal and flame seared his flesh to the bone.

"...go. I'll take them with me," Phelan ground out, gasped out, more like, as his limbs began to tremble. "I'll be fine. It’s...it’s just a bit of pain, right?" The boy staggered as one of the inferi blasted him backwards with a spell, putting every ounce of will he had into staying upright. "I'll—I’m a man, I can take it. I can—"

"NO."

Phelan had only a second to realize that his friend's voice had gone...off somehow, before a sense of utter wrongness filled the air. He could barely breathe, barely move, barely feel anything else as something like black smoke flashed into existence, wrapping about his body, smoke that...

What.

No...smoke couldn't catch fire, could it? Smoke couldn't...

Wait...what? The smoke was withdrawing, following...following in the wake of a figure which looked almost like Matou Shinji, if Matou Shinji were some sort of demon king, a being wrought not of flesh but shadow and flame, an avatar of vengeance and rage whose eyes bled infernal fire.

"NOT THIS TIME."

Phelan staggered, falling on his arse at the shock of hearing the voice that emerged from the mouth of his...friend?, a voice that was like a hundred dissonant voices speaking together, the unearthly screech underlying what was audible assaulting his mind, making him want to close his ears, close his eyes, close everything in the face of death, a monstrous figure, half-insubstantial and riddled in spikes, with claws sharp as knives taking the place of his fingers, cloaked by unquenchable flames.

The figure SCrEamED, and every foe in the hallway – even the poltergeist, said to be unkillable – was unmade, as the hallway seemed to spark, eerie holes torn into the world by the whim of the dark one.

And then everything was quiet, and the monster turned to look at him with its terrible gaze, sharp, sharp teeth gleaming in its maw as...

"CAN YoU ConTInuE?" the voice hissed, almost...pleasantly, with Phelan blinking, because was about the last thing he had expected to hear from...from a demon.

The boy's mouth opened, closed, opened, closed, and finally opened again to say "Yes."

"...GoOD. FOlloW."

So Phelan did, following as best as he could as what...he thought was his friend set a very grueling pace for a wounded man, though he dared not complain or fall behind, as the world itself was beginning to fall apart around them, as if the very existence of whatever Matou was corrupted it. As they passed, pockets of unreality began to form, holes in the fabric of existence, which Phelan made sure not to fall into.

What happened next, well...

To make a long story short, Matou's dark powers tore through everything that stood in their way, allowing them to obtain the keystone and activate it...seconds before everything dissolved into nothingness, depositing them back into the classroom, where Shinji's...transformation seemed ready to lunge at Quirrell...before the Japanese boy lurched backward, and with a shuddering screech as he melted several desks, reverted to his human form and collapsed.

Quirrell, who was putting away his wand as he looked upon this, shook his head with a frown.

"...I have a number of things I would like to say about this situation," the Professor said after a few moments. “I suppose the first is that—”

"...we passed, right?" Phelan asked, thinking to address the most important topic first.

Quirrell blinked, his eyes narrowing slightly as he processed just what the earl’s son considered the first thing that needed discussing.

"...I suppose that technically, you did retrieve the keystone and activate the weapon to destroy the inferi in the tower," the Professor noted with a deep sigh. "Even if the tower, for all intents and purposes, no longer exists."

"You...didn't say...it had...tobeintact," came a near whisper from the ground, as a bedraggled Matou Shinji pulled himself unsteadily to his feet.

"Ah, Mister Matou...” Quirrell commented. “I see you destroyed the world. Again," he added with a wry twist of his lips.

"...this...this happened before?" Phelan asked, swallowing at just how casually Quirrell was taking all of this.

"Oh yes, indeed, Mister Noel,” the Defense Professor confirmed. “Your friend Miss Granger would know a lot about that."

"Gr...huh." Well...Phelan supposed that if he'd seen Matou look like that, he would have been freaked out as—

"At least he didn't actually try to kill me this time,” the man continued. “It seems his time with Miss Moore has been most productive in helping him…mellow out."

"He...he tried to kill you?!" Phelan heard someone ask – wait, no that was him asking. He glanced over at Matou. "Is...is that true?"

"I don't remember anything of the sort," Shinji said stiffly.

"Yes well, amnesia is not unheard of when one transforms into an obscurus, now is it?" Quirrell inquired, with Shinji looking away. "Still, perhaps that was partially my fault. I had no idea his relationship with his family was such a can of...worms."

Shinji growled, but did nothing, not wanting to make an even bigger mess of things.

"In any case, yes, I suppose you two did pass," the man admitted with a thin smile. "Meaning you will be captains of opposing teams for the upcoming challenge. I suggest you think about who you may want to recruit for say...a raid on Azkaban."

"...isn't Azkaban supposedly unassailable?"

"Mister Noel, nothing is unassailable," Quirrell said matter of factly. "Though, Mister Matou, if you use that power of yours during a raid, I will penalize your entire team, do you understand?"

"...yes."

"Good. With that, I will give 10 points to Hufflepuff for doing the impossible and snuffing out Fiendfyre. And I'll only take off 5 from each of you for utterly wrecking the scenario. You do realize that with how you’ve corrupted it, I will have to recreate it from scratch?"

"...sorry," Shinji muttered.

"Wait, why am I being penalized?! I wasn’t the one who—" Phelan exclaimed.

"You're a team, aren't you?" Quirrell asked sardonically. “You shared in Matou’s successes, so now you share in his punishment. Dismissed.”

Well, you heard the man - it is time to consider who you may want to recruit for your Azkaban trials. For reference, every team captain is assigned a certain number of points to work with, depending on what year group you fall into. First years are given 5 points, Second through Fifth Years (OWL) are given 10 points, and Seventh years (NEWT) are given 15 points.

The basic cost in points to recruit a person for your team is the prospective recruit's year in school.

First year - 1 point
    Second year = 2 points
    Third year = 3 points
    And so on

The basic cost may be increased if the prospective recruit is also a team captain, who is worth year+1 points if they are OWL level or below, or year+2 if they are NEWT level.

For reference, Selina Moore, who is a second year team captain, would cost 2+1=3 points to recruit, as opposed to Natsumi, who is not a team captain and thus is only 2 points.

Ginny Weasley, a first year team captain, would cost 1+1 = 2 points to recruit, while Momiji Kaede, who is not, would be 1 point.

Robert Hillard, a sixth year team captain, would be 6+2 = 8 points to recruit, though his cost is irrelevant, as you are not allowed to recruit from a higher pool than the one you are part of, as Quirrell believes this would be unfair.

So...who will you recruit? You have 10 points. Discuss.

Your options include but are not limited to...

[ ] Miyuki-senpai (3+1)
    [ ] Natsumi (2)
    [ ] Ernie (2+1)
    [ ] Amber (2+1)
    [ ] Phelan (2+1)
    [ ] Selina (2+1)
    [ ] Kaede (1)
    [ ] Luna Lovegood (1)
    [ ] Ginny Weasley (1+1)
    [ ] Ron Weasley (2)
    [ ] George Weasley (4+1)
    [ ] Fred Weasley (4+1)
    [ ] Cho Chang (3)
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; May 19th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    For now, thinking either of those;

Amber + Selina + Natsumi + Kaede + Luna

Miyuki + Amber + Natsumi + Kaede.

Ernie + Phelan + Ron + Neville. (Hard mode activated = pass the challenge without a (strong) waifu on the team)

The second in particular would have the best synergy. I can also see how some pairings would do wonders, Nigel + Hagrid for example (smarts + strength), the Noels together, Lily & Selina, etc...

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Of the people mentioned so far, Lily is a team leader (2+1), as is Nigel (3+1).

Hagrid however...he is not a team lead, and is only 3 points. As it happens, when you have no armor in your size, and are used to shrugging off spells and blows that might cripple most wizards, you underestimate things.

[X] Miyuki + Amber + Natsumi + Kaede.
    Last edited by shanagan; May 22nd, 2019 at 08:52 PM.

Team Japan for the win

[X] Miyuki + Amber + Natsumi + Kaede.

Blog Entries
    [x] Miyuki + Selina + Amber.

Okay, going with that one here.

​[x]Miyuki + Amber + Natsumi + Kaede.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Team for First Run: [X] Miyuki + Amber + Natsumi + Kaede

Shinji extends his invitations to his prospective teammates, and happily, they all agree to work with him for his first run. He himself has also been invited to the following teams:

Team Lily: Selina (3), Shinji (3), Miyuki (4)
    Team Ernie: Selina (3), Nats (2), Shinji (3), Neville (2)
    Team Selina: Lily de Lune (3), Amber (3), Shinji (3), Luna Lovegood (1)
    Team Diggory: Miyuki (4), Shinji (3), Ernie (3)
    Team Haywood: Miyuki (4), Shinji (3), Ernie (3)

Does he wish to join any/all of them?

[ ] Yes - Join them all
    [ ] No, just
    - [ ] Team Lily: Selina (3), Shinji (3), Miyuki (4)
    - [ ] Team Ernie: Selina (3), Nats (2), Shinji (3), Neville (2)
    - [ ]Team Selina: Lily de Lune (3), Amber (3), Shinji (3), Luna Lovegood (1)
    - [ ]Team Diggory: Miyuki (4), Shinji (3), Ernie (3)
    - [ ]Team Haywood: Miyuki (4), Shinji (3), Ernie (3)
    [ ] No, he doesn't need to join any other teams

Other teams of interest:

Team Amber
    : Nats (2), Phelan (3), Miyuki (4), Kaede (1)
    Team Nigel: Hagrid (3), Miyuki (4), Nats (2), Kaede (1)
    Team Phelan: Amber (3), Selina (3), Ginny (2), Ron Weasley (2)
    Team Fred: George (5), Ron (2), Phelan (3)
    Team George: Fred (5), Ron (2), Phelan (3)
    Team Parkinson: Selina (3), Lily (3), Draco (2), Zabini (2)
    Team Miyuki: Kaede (1), Nats (2), Amber (3), Nigel (4)
    Team Edgecombe: Cho Chang (3), Nigel (4), Hermione (2), Nanette Desford (1)
    Team Sue Li: Hermione (2), Selina (3), Lily (3), Terry Boot (2)
    Team Hillard: Penelope Clearwater (6), Nigel (4), Hagrid (3), Ginny Weasley (2)
    Team Percy: Fred (5), George (5), Amber (3), Ginny (2)
    Team Clearwater: Nigel (4), Hagrid (3), Hermione (2), Nanette Desford (1), Ginny Weasley (2), Luna Lovegood (1), Cho Chang (3)

Blog Entries
    [x] Yes - Join them all.

Since it's only viable for the first round of the challenge (there are opportunities to rotate members for following rounds) we aren't not losing much by accepting all.

We can see how much time it takes on our schedule and adjust accordingly for subsequent rounds.

[x] Yes - Join them all.

[x]Yes - Join them all.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x]Yes - Join them all.

Now that you have chosen a team, it would only be proper for me to give you some background on what you are to face. It is the middle of the 15th century, hundreds of years prior to the rise of the International Confederation of Wizards, the Statute of Secrecy, or the Ministry of Magic, and an isle reeking with Dark Magic has appeared in the middle of the North Sea.

To investigate what this isle is, and what its appearance means for Britain, the Wizards' Council has scraped together the most talented (and adventurous) wizards it could find on short notice to be their eyes and wands on location: you and your team, aka the local branch of the Reclaimer Mercenary Company.

Here is what you know: the isle you are to investigate has never appeared on any map, Muggle, wizarding, or otherwise is believed to have been created, or enlarged, by magical means. If this claim is true, and this isle was raised form the sea, the wizard who did so may be magnitudes more powerful than any other practitioner of magic alive today - something of particular concern given the dark bank of clouds and the miasma of dark magic reported as lingering around the isle by early scouts (who did not land). Further, until yesterday, the isle was so perfectly hidden that no one realized or suspected it was even there, meaning the concealment charms on it also surpass anything currently known to be possible. Fortunately, it is not believed that you have to face the Master of the Isle, as the failure of the Concealment Charms makes it likely that the Dark Wizard who created the isle is dead.

Your objectives are as follows:

Objectives for Azkaban Raid:

[ ] Scout the Docks (5 points)
    -[ ] Investigate the ships (5 points)
    -[ ] Discover the Draugr nest (5 points)
    -[ ] Defeat the Draugr Champion (10 points)
    [ ] Scout the Inner Fortress (5 points)
    -[ ] Investigate the Dungeons (5 points)
    -[ ] Investigate Living Quarters (5 points)
    -[ ] Investigate Laboratory (10 points)
    [ ] Scout the Hill of Graves (5 points)
    -[ ] Investigate the Dementor "spawning ground" (10 points)
    -[ ] Investigate the Mausoleum (10 points)
    [ ] Scout the Granary Complex (5 points)
    -[ ] Investigate reports of "strange Inferi" (10 points)
    -[ ] Destroy the spore pods (10 points)
    [ ] Scout the Archives (5 points)
    -[ ]Recover the Keystone (10 points)
    -[ ] Shut down "portal" to the realm of spirits (15 points)
    [ ] Defeat the current Master of the Island - 130 points
    [ ] Defeat the "Apostle of Death" - 260 Points

Total possible points: 520

NOTE: Due to the setting, some spells, potions and items are restricted from use, due to not being invented yet.

Restricted Spells
    Lumos (invented in 18th Century), Alohomora (invented in 17th Century), Arresto Momentum (17th Century), Wingardium Leviosa (16th Century), Protego Diabolica (Unique to Grindelwald), anything else invented after 15th Century

Restricted Potions
    Felix Felicis (invented in 16th century), Wolfsbane (invented in 20th Century), Elixir of Life (Because you don't have a Philosopher's Stone), anything else invented after 15th Century

List of items
    Modern Brooms, watches (Magical hour-glasses will be provided), Mokeskin pouches, other bags of holding equivalents.

So...which objectives do you wish for your team to face? (See list above) And do you want to have the team approach this challenge? You will begin on broomsticks approaching the isle - whether you split the team or stay together as one unit, is up to you.

1. What objectives? (choose from list)
    2. Split the party?
    3. Where do you begin your investigation?
    4. Approach (cautious, cursory, aggressive, etc)

Remember that you will need to report back with a filled out Quest log item for your team to get any points.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 10th, 2019 at 02:07 PM.

1. [X] Scout the Granary Complex (5 points)
    -[X] Investigate reports of "strange Inferi" (10 points)
    -[X] Destroy the spore pods (10 points)
    [X] Scout the Archives (5 points)
    -[X]Recover the Keystone (10 points)
    -[X] Shut down "portal" to the realm of spirits (15 points)

Possible 3rd location but really that would be a call after the first two are completed or abandon when found to be more trouble than it is worth.

2. [X] Stay together but split in two teams (Shinji-Amber-Nats, Miyuki-Kaeda) if need be within a zone.

They have comms because of the wand holders so we might as well split up when a bit but still worth staying as a main unit most of the time.

3. Start in the Granary

Dementors suck so hill is not where I would start and the docks is the wayyyy too odvious starting place that I would assume the Dark Wizard would have set something up there more than any other area.

4. Moderately Cautious - Be cautious but time is essential, every moment spent is time the enemy has to catch you.

Blog Entries
    Choice 1

[x] Scout the Granary Complex (5 points)
    -[x] Investigate reports of "strange Inferi" (10 points)
    -[x] Destroy the spore pods (10 points)

[x] Scout the Archives (5 points)
    -[x]Recover the Keystone (10 points)
    -[x] Shut down "portal" to the realm of spirits (15 points)

Choice 2

[x] Stay together but split in two teams (Shinji-Amber-Nats, Miyuki-Kaede) if need be within a zone.

Choice 3

[x] Granary Complex as Starting Point

Choice 4

[x] Slow and Steady Approach - Clear a zone completely before moving on to the next.

Choice 1

[x] Scout the Granary Complex (5 points)
    -[x] Investigate reports of "strange Inferi" (10 points)
    -[x] Destroy the spore pods (10 points)

[x] Scout the Archives (5 points)
    -[x]Recover the Keystone (10 points)
    -[x] Shut down "portal" to the realm of spirits (15 points)

Choice 2

[x] Stay together but split in two teams (Shinji-Amber-Nats, Miyuki-Kaede) if need be within a zone.

Choice 3

[x] Granary Complex as Starting Point

Choice 4

[x] Slow and Steady Approach - Clear a zone completely before moving on to the next.