Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Sin (IC)

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ana
    Inferno - Abandoned House
    The Present- Morning

"Oh, is that a proposal?" Ana asked, acting up to come off as deliberately coy as she adjusted her position to lean over Yuri. "Shouldn't you be taking me out to dinner first? You certainly have the cash to do it now."

Ana bit her lip at the offer. Collaborative work was a necessity, however it hadn't exactly... worked out well last time but the less time spent thinking about that the better. She wasn't the same naive girl back then.

"I get the whole 'Solo Act' deal but you always need backup in case something screws you over."

Like she had been.

"Large groups can be tricky, might best if we just have a small group of people you trust or just stick with me. I know you're good and you know I'm good but I'm better when things get messy. I can also double as muscle or a bodyguard for you in case, you know I have your back."

Now that was a necessity. The last lesson she had learned in Limbo, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

"I might need a little more info but you can count me in."

Theola August
    Inferno-City Streets
    The Present-Morning

While she would never admit as much, Theola was quite fond of her team. They were able to recompose themselves after the incident this morning and were now prepared for the heavy duty that had been thrust upon them. It was true that she had not known them for very long, but as their leader, she had no complaints at all about their performance and abilities. That, in her opinion, was most important of all.

But that did not mean that she was not at least somewhat curious about what made them tick. And that curiosity was hardly something limited to only understanding her subordinates.

Since the Chief did not seem to be as irritable as he was earlier, she took the opportunity to ask what was on her mind.

“If you don’t mind me asking, sir.” Breaking the silence that had until then been disturbed only by the sound of their footsteps as they approached their destination, she continued. “I’ve heard that you’ve even managed to enter Paradiso, no small feat for someone starting from Inferno. Is there a reason you chose to return here?”

To forego Paradiso and return here to Inferno- to her knowledge, it was a choice that few people would ever even consider, let alone take. And yet, it was exactly one that the man before her had taken.

“I can hardly imagine it’s a particularly enviable position.” That much had been made clear by his earlier irritation.

“So, why? Duty? A fondness for your hometown? Or something else?”

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    "And honestly, what good would it do us to kill her? Considering she's only one of the seven. All it would do is bring down the might of military forces of the other levels of Eden. And frankly, since this new governor and the reorganization of the Inferno police force, our hands are full enough as it is. It'd practically suicide for everyone involved."

"I guess that's just what it takes. Even as we enemies fight and kill one another for the sake of power, if somebody suddenly threw a bomb into the room, it's in everyone's interest to defuse it."
    Asher Bharrant
    Inferno-Jolly Fool's Bar
    The Present-Morning

Looking into his glass, Asher reflected for a bit.

His previous response was likely a bit too daring, too ambitious, and without much forethought.

After a few seconds, he spoke again, more morosely than before.

"Well, getting rid of one of the Seven, it would certainly send a message to them, a show of true power that not even they are safe from. I'll admit it's a bad idea without much else to it, they'll feel fear, anger, maybe hate, they'll retaliate and the Inferno and its people take the punishment. All while they're safe up there."

"I wouldn't want that, this place is bad enough as is, no point making it some military hellhole."

Asher too, sighed in his drink.

"How stupid, we're fighting each other while our actual enemy sits happily in the upper levels. Condemning us to this, while they live blissfully."

Not me, he thought to himself, I'll get out of here, and claim the life I dream of, the one I deserve.

And I no longer care who gets in the way.

"Something needs to change, don't you agree?"

"Ah, I'm rambling aren't I, sorry sorry."

Waving his hands apologetically, he apologized and returned to his more casual demeanor.

"So, what's this about the reorganization of the police force, is she planning on changing the city or something?"

Ana
    Inferno - Abandoned House
    The Present- Morning

Yuri chuckled.

"More information is wise. Put your mind at ease, what I'm suggesting doesn't necessarily have to be a long term partnership. All I need I need is some assistance with one more job. A potentially final job. If we pull this off, we'll be set for life, no doubts about it. It's a heist that will put our last caper to shame."

She gestured at the treasures laying around the hideout.

"But I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyway, the target I'm thinking about can without a doubt, probably be called the biggest bigshot in Inferno. Or potentially even Eden as a whole. Someone with enough power to make the gang honcho we just scammed look like a chump."

She smiled. A dangerous smile. Was it fearlessness or insanity?

"I'm planning on pulling a job on the governor of Inferno herself, miss Council of Seven Loki."

Theola August
    Inferno-City Streets
    The Present-Morning

The words slipped out of Theola's mouth and into the barren air. It was one of the greatest mysteries surrounding the man known as Alfred Judge. The man who after a lifetime of struggle and battle, had finally reached the summit. What reasons could have motivated him to abandon the goals he so fervently pursued over the course of his life?

It was not an easy question to ask. The chief was a stoic man, with an intimidating atmosphere that discouraged such idle speculation in his presence. But here, for better or for worse, that presence had somewhat transformed.

The chief look upwards toward the sky as he continued walking in silence.

"I have always tried doing what I believe to be right."

He spoke suddenly, as if he was talking more to himself than to Theola.

"But I did... I didn't... no this is just justification after the fact."

He sighed softly to himself.

"This is my atonement. For the sin that I have committed."

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno-Jolly Fool's Bar
    The Present-Morning

"Well, getting rid of one of the Seven, it would certainly send a message to them, a show of true power that not even they are safe from. I'll admit it's a bad idea without much else to it, they'll feel fear, anger, maybe hate, they'll retaliate and the Inferno and its people take the punishment. All while they're safe up there."

"I wouldn't want that, this place is bad enough as is, no point making it some military hellhole."
    Ash leaned back into his chair.

"If we were able to bypass their defenses and eliminate one of the Seven, I suppose that could function as a message. But eliminating one who has left their defenses behind, and stepped out into the open... I'm not sure what kind of message it would send. Even supposing we're successful, it becomes impossible that the rest of them would step so far into the open like this one did. I know I said it before, but to me, this definitely feels like a bait of some sort."

"How stupid, we're fighting each other while our actual enemy sits happily in the upper levels. Condemning us to this, while they live blissfully."

"Something needs to change, don't you agree?"

"Ah, I'm rambling aren't I, sorry sorry."

"So, what's this about the reorganization of the police force, is she planning on changing the city or something?"
    Ash made a grimace.

"She cleaning up the department and really waging war against us. I'll have to say it's been pretty rough. There's never been a council governor who has taken as much an interest in Inferno as this one has. It used to be pretty smooth, live and let live, but that's all changed. She's even gotten the former police chief replaced with the current old man in charge. We had an understanding with the previous guy, but there's just no reaching through to this new chief. Although I guess new chief is a bit of an inaccurate term in this case."
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Ashley Harker
    Inferno- Dragon's Den: Luxury Apartments
    The Present-Morning

"If you so wish it, I will leave you here, and ransack your apartment so it appears that a madman demanded this of you. So that your superiors will not harm you anymore then I have. But I can also save you from them."
    "No need for that, you've already made enough of a mess of my place," the man grumbled. He got to his feet and made his way back to his desk, tidying up the scattered documents that lay upon it.

"Please. Tell me what you know."
    "hmmm..." he muttered to himself in an absent minded manner, as his fingers deftly cleaned the papers that lay open on his desk. "Let me think for a bit..."

The moments passed in silence. It may only have been under a minute, but to the two of them there, it felt much longer. Eventually the man sitting at the desk sighed.

"The person in charge of that operation is a member of the boss's inner circle. I don't really know his real name or much about him. I think his designation is something like "Hella" or "Heima" or something along those lines? I never really paid much attention because it was pretty unrelated to my operation..."

The man glanced around the room and shrugged.

"Don't really know much about him at all. About all I got is some rumors. Like how if someone gets in his way, they'll suddenly be cut to pieces out of nowhere, or something like that. Pretty unhealthy to poke your nose where it's not wanted. That's advice you should learn."

The man glanced again at something out of the corner of his eye.

"Regardless, as far as I know, the operation is completed for now. You might as well just call it a win. It's 'stopped', after all. You can even take credit for it, nobody will know. Assuming of course...-"

The man gave a small chuckle, as if laughing at an inside joke.

The only thing in that direction was... a clock...

Suddenly all of a sudden there was a loud crashing sound from the living room. The sound of a door being kicked down. Numerous boots stomping, entering the apartment.

"Sir are you all right?!"

"He's in the study room! Be careful, he's a 'contractor', but probably a newborn one at that. His ability seems to be some kind of telekinesis."

The man winked at Harker. However, his next statement was the final blow.

"Take him down, dead or alive."
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

"I know I said it before, but to me, this definitely feels like a bait of some sort."

"We had an understanding with the previous guy, but there's just no reaching through to this new chief. Although I guess new chief is a bit of an inaccurate term in this case."
    Asher's expression darkened upon hearing those words.

"Huh, and here I believed those bastards up top didn't care for the lowly people of the Inferno. Though I guess they still don't, waging a war against the criminal underworld is bound to get innocents hurt and killed."

Just like it was for him, the people trying to do some good weren't saved, not then, and they won't be any safer now that the police is joining the war.

Where first it was one group of criminals against another, now the police has joined in, a good old fashioned fight between good and evil, law and chaos. Or well, as good and lawful as the people here can be.

But fights like those, good and evil, its a tale as old as time. No side ever wins, instead people only end up losing more, and more.

The best thing you can do, is escape such a fate all together.

Lost in thought for a moment, Asher idly spun his drink. He looked up again to meet Ash's eyes, gulped down the remainder of his drink and put up a happier expression on his face.

"Aaahh, that's good stuff"

"So this new Governor, she's mobilizing and reforming the police while trying to clean people like us out huh, does she have any history here to your knowledge? There's probably a reason that she's more driven than her predecessor. And what about this new chief, what's his deal then, did he used to be the chief until he got replaced or something, one of those stubborn people that believe in justice above all else?"

Suddenly Asher slows down a bit, pausing and pondering.

"Actually now that i think about it, you mentioned that it's in our best interest to have her speech go without interruption, right? Does that mean we have people of all the factions there to ensure nothing goes wrong, or is that too risk in its own right?"

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ashley Harker
    The Present-Morning

Harker smiled like the sun as the man threw him to the wolves. Bowing, he turned towards the door with a cheery wave and a twist of his metal rod.

"Thank you my friend. But fear not; everyone here will never forget this day. This, after all, is an important time in all of our lives."

The door opened, and Harker stepped through, a wide smile on his face as he threw the rod in his hands, a twist of his wrist grabbing onto the rod as he manipulated it, sending it crashing[ through the balcony doors, hearing the shattered glass as he took a deep a breath.

And then he moved.

Harker was always fast; swiftness of step often determined if a robber would choose between facing a person head on or fleeing into the distance. The balcony door was twenty five strides from the study, and he knew he needed to move fast, to be faster, and most importantly --

He could absolutely not use his Contract.

A person who begins an unwinnable fight is a fool. Harker was an idealistic idiot, reckless beyond belief, and his ideals were totally irrational --

But he was in no way a fool.

The world blurred as his pace increased. Faster. Faster. He couldn't slow down, not with how close he was, not with how many people still needed to be saved.

Faster.

Faster--!

Ten strides away, five, four, but he still didn't know. He didn't know if he had moved swiftly enough to avoid them. He'd barely paid the thugs a second glance as he'd exited the study and headed for the balcony, knowing that any time spent looking around was a waste of energy. The rod he'd thrown was already returning to him, swirling swiftly around his body, rapidly spinning in an arc to prevent any of them from coming closer.

He could feel it in his soul. In his blood, pumping through his veins -- the iron surging and raising as his legs took one step after another.

This was not the day where Ashley Harker would be captured.

This was the day that the Pride Faction of the Seven Sins would almost catch Ashley Harker.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno-Jolly Fool's Bar
    The Present-Morning

"So this new Governor, she's mobilizing and reforming the police while trying to clean people like us out huh, does she have any history here to your knowledge? There's probably a reason that she's more driven than her predecessor. And what about this new chief, what's his deal then, did he used to be the chief until he got replaced or something, one of those stubborn people that believe in justice above all else?"
    Ash suddenly had a thoughtful expression appear on his face. He took a moment to process his thoughts before responding.

"Now that... is something I never thought about. There's not much information on those council folk at all, their pasts and histories are usually completely hidden. Even their names are hidden behind an alias. But you're right. Just because it's hidden doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I wonder... it's hard to imagine a council member has history with this place, but it's also hard to think she's so driven in her war for no reason... hmmm"

He seems to be deep in thought for a few moments before shrugging and putting it aside for now. Something to perhaps be considered for another time, but not right now.

"I don't know much about the new chief to be honest. Before my time, but I heard he was some famous officer who started down here in Inferno but actually managed to rise in the ranks all the way up to paradiso. There's a couple of them every generation, or so I'm told. Works out for us, because that's more or less eliminating some of our biggest threats for free. Don't know much else, maybe some of the old timers might know more."

"Actually now that i think about it, you mentioned that it's in our best interest to have her speech go without interruption, right? Does that mean we have people of all the factions there to ensure nothing goes wrong, or is that too risk in its own right?"
    Ash looked up at Asher at those words.

"Ah, I don't really think there's much risk. None of the big players are making a move, and anyone else is a small bit player who probably can't make enough of an impact. Although that doesn't mean we're going to completely ignore it of course. This is a valuable opportunity to observe our enemy after all."

He smirked.

"That's right, this afternoon we're just normal citizens interested in the big event."

Ashley Harker
    The Present-Morning

In the end, what it came down to was readiness.

Harker moved without hesitation, with a clear purpose in his movements. In contrast, the men who had just crashed into the apartment were unaware of the whole situation beyond the basics. They were in the dark. This lack of knowledge caused them to hesitate slightly, caused their actions to have a slight lag.

This was all it took to separate success from failure.

By the time they registered the actions happening before their eyes, the glass had already been shattered, and Harker was rapidly moving towards freedom.

Before they could even try to pursue, a steel rod flew back towards them, cutting off their potential avenues to chase.

However, even if they did, where could this fugitive go? This was near the top of an apartment complex. He was trapped.

Or so the men thought.

Harker reached the edge of the balcony-

-stepped upwards-

-and leapt off-

"!!!"

The men in the apartment rushed to the balcony and looked over the edge at their target falling towards his death.

Harker fell through the air, diving down towards the ground, the wind whistling in his ears. This was his escape route. An unconventional route impossible to anyone else.

He was not planning on dying today.

Slowly, gracefully his trajectory and velocity changed as his fall turned into flight. With apparent ease and to the surprise of the thugs who were supposed to capture him, Harker touched down on the ground safely below.

To the surprise of everyone but one. The man who had been attacked by Harker, who had given Harker the information he desired, who had called the guards on Harker was unsuprised at the results. He was aware of the fact that Harker possessed supernatural powers, having made a deal with a devil. He had even encountered his own share of contractors in his time. He knew that they possessed abilities that could make the impossible possible.

He also knew they had limits. So as Harker flew down the building, he was making calls to his men stationed near the bottom of the apartment complex.

Harker heard loud shouts coming from the entrance of the building and saw several men similar to the ones he saw earlier heading out. It seems he wasn't completely in the clear yet.

Honk

Theola August
    Inferno-City Streets
    The Present-Morning

“Sin?”

It was a response unfitting for a man who now stood near the top, responsible for the most lawless part of the city.

But the pursuit of righteousness and search for atonement- it was a very familiar idea to Theola. Earlier, she had once thought that they were somewhat similar- a shallow thought, based off nothing more than a couple superficial similarities.

But perhaps there was more to the thought than she had originally imagined.

The natural question to ask would be about what the chief was seeking atonement for, all the more so given that Theola herself had never personally heard of any crimes that the chief had been involved in… but she doubted that would receive a sincere answer. Either it was an incident of such magnitude that she was not privy to it’s contents… or more likely, a private and personal matter that the chief was not likely to share. Understandable.

And so, instead of such a natural question…

“If this is out of atonement…”

There was something else she wanted to ask.

“Does that mean you’ll do this forever- until the day you die? Or will there come a time when your sin is forgiven?”

Blog Entries
    Ashley Harker
    The Present-Morning

Harker did exactly what he normally did when confronted with adversaries that he knew nothing about. He walked away.

Without an accurate description of what he looked like, it was unlikely for them to ever find him in this city, as he scurried around back allies and ducked behind garbage. Harker was an enigma to most of the city as it was - someone too naive, too ridiculous to ever make in this far. Is it so wrong, however, to be kind? To be just in a lawless city? To be noble to those who would harm you? In this city, kindness is a joke and justice is a lie. There is no world where law outweighs the crimes that others commit in the city of Eden.

But it didn't have to be that way.

All Harker wanted to do was help others. Even if it was hard, even if it hurt -- there's nothing wrong with wanting to help those in need. It's simply an irrational response for someone in Eden. To save someone, something else must be lost; that's simply the way this city works. You cannot protect others without sacrificing something else.

He hated it.

Bile rose in his mouth when he saw the beggars. Sorrow clutched on his heart when he saw the drugs. Despair wrapped around him when he saw the crimes. Staring at the sky as he walked away, Harker sighed, running a hand through his hair.

I will definitely save this city.

His own words echoed back through his mind, as he walked in a random series of directions, turning left and right with no real care for where he was going as long as it was away from the Dragon's Den. Is this place truly something worthy of being saved? When men like those in the apartments exist, when men who do not care for others control the rest of the city --

No.

Everyone is worthy of being saved. He knew this. In the depths of his soul, he knew this to be a fact. It wasn't a query, a question, or anything like that - it was simply fact. Everyone is worthy of being saved, no matter how horrible they had been before, no matter the dangers that they had seen before. And with the new information he had been gifted, he could absolutely save at least one person.

Harker turned right, with a smile on his face and a lightness in his heart, moved towards the future.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Theola August
    Inferno-City Streets
    The Present-Morning

“Sin? If this is out of atonement… Does that mean you’ll do this forever- until the day you die? Or will there come a time when your sin is forgiven?”
    Her question hung heavily in the air. The weight of it almost seemed to create a gravity of silence, stopping either from making any further sounds.

Her question... just which of them was it directed at?

It was the man who broke the stalemate.

"Forgiven one day... Perhaps. I'd like to think that. I don't think it's impossible. Maybe..."

He sinks back into the silence. The two of them continued to walk further and further along the winding path. Higher and higher into the heart of the city.

"Sometimes, it is ourselves who are our harshest judges..."

"Sorry about that, I'm rambling. Regardless of that, us members of the police department have a job to do. A task given to us directly by the governor. And I'm not talking about the immediate mission, but the task as a whole. Eliminating the various gangs that have infested the Inferno. That's right, the mission in front of us. Perhaps once we finish and restore peace to the city, I can peacefully head into retirement."

All of a sudden, the chief came to a halt. It seemed they had finally arrived. In front of them was a large, ornate building. In fact, it looked less like a building and more like a castle.

"Since you're going to be in charge of the personal guard duty, I think it's probably better for you to at least meet the V.I.P. once beforehand. I've already made the arrangements so follow me."

The chief entered the building with Theola following behind him. Inside there were numerous secretaries and clerks, all working the day away at their desks. Some of them glanced up at the two intruders, but for the most part they were ignored. They moved through the building at a brisk pace, until eventually they eventually reached the end of a hallway. In front of them, sitting behind a desk was a young woman. She looked up at the two of them from behind her glasses without any surprise.

"I see you've arrived."

Her voice was cold, without any trace of friendliness.

The chief gave a small nod to acknowledge her statement. His voice was emotionless unlike before.

"I sent prior notification. This here is the captain who will be in charge of protecting her in case anything happens."

Her eyes moved over to measure up Theola, who was standing behind the chief. Her face softened slightly. She began to speak in a much warmer tone of voice.

"Ah, so you must be Captain August. I am Miss Loki's secretary, Miss Lux. Loki is currently finishing up her preparations, she will be ready to meet with you soon."

Spoiler:

Miss Lux- Secretary to Loki

Ashley Harker
    The Present-Morning

Harker strolled leisurely through the alleyways of the city thinking he had made a clean escape. After all, they had no way to chase after him if they didn't know what he looked like.

That thought was far too naive.

It might have been true if Harker had an ordinary, nondescript appearance. But Ashley Harker was anything but.

There are very few people in this section of Inferno that look as striking as Harker does.

There are fewer still who appear to be missing an eye.

When you combine the two together, there is an extraordinarily small amount of people that would likely fit both descriptors.

"He doesn't have one eye, he's not the bastard we're looking for..."

Harker heard the words spoken in the distance and realized that they were likely about him. He changed his path away from his pursuers and began walking at a slightly faster pace.

Slipping and turning through the various alleyways in this part of Inferno, he rapidly increased the distance between him and danger...

"Watch it!"

He hadn't been paying attention and turned the corner right into a group of people. He looked up to take better stock of the situation.

Rather than a group of people, perhaps it would be more accurate to call it a patrol of people. The people he ran into were dressed in uniforms akin to those he had seen worn on the Inferno's police department, but they weren't the same. They seemed sleeker, more elegant in a manner.

"Halt! What are you rushing off to do?" Another man barked at Harker, suspicion written clearly on his face.

"Stop that."

A different voice this time. Soft, yet full of command. A blonde haired woman stepped forward to the front of the group. Based on how the rest of the patrol moved aside for her, she appeared to be the leader.

As if there could be any doubt. Harker almost instinctively took a step back. She was unlike anybody Harker had ever encountered before. Her very being seemed to possess a sort of blinding aura, or perhaps pressure would be a better term?

"We're not here to bully civilians," she continued, scolding the rest of her squad before turning to Harker.

"Please, be at ease. We're a special force that has been deployed by Eden at the request of one of the Council-"

"Ma'am, is this really a wise idea?" One of the members in the back interjected.

"It's fine, it's not exactly classified and I'll take responsibility if anything comes of it," she continued. "Like I was saying, one of the Council members got worried and requested a little extra security for the event today, so this squad was sent on down. We are currently doing a preemptive patrol, nipping any potential problems in the bud. On the whole, it's been rather quiet..."

She looked Harker over as she thought to herself.

"Is there anything that we can perhaps help you with? You seem to be troubled with some issues mister...?"

Honk

Blog Entries
    Ashley Harker
    The Present-Morning

With a smile, Harker waved her off, a small, sad thing on his lips. "Aye, I suppose I do have some issues. But it is not something for you to worry about. Everyone in this city has problems of their own, ones that they must solve themselves."

A dream. That was all it took to set Ashley Harker to this path. A simple, idealistic dream. A hopelessly naive concept in the back of his head, that led him to summon a demon and break into the apartment owned by Pride.

"I, however, can almost certainly help you," he said looking at the woman before him. "Although you may not know of me, nor I of you, there are things that I do know that almost certainly would aid even your precious Councilor."

Ashley Harker was naive.

Idealistic.

Foolish in every way a person could be.

However, all those factors did not mean he was an idiot. He knew very well that an assault of such a scale would require others, others with more power than that which he had at his disposal. Even with the contract of Alexander, there is nothing that would allow him to fight against the Sins that infested his city without allies, without aid from outside. The Sins would not topple to the will of one man, not when that man was as weak as Ashley Harker.

A sigh exited his lips, and he looked away from the woman, staring upwards towards the sky, towards the tower that shined, gleaming so far above the likes of Inferno. It takes more than power to topple a city, more than words to topple a regime, and more than enemies to topple a god.

"Do we not all exist under the same sky? Do we not all breathe the same air? Why is it that those of us down here are so much less than those above us? What twist of fate made it so that those who live here are worth so much less than those in that tower?"

Treason, casually exiting the lips of a civilian. Ashley Harker was never one who claimed to be clever.

He simply wanted to save others.

"The Seven Sins, in all of their debauchery, have never claimed to be just. The Council, in all their cruelty, claim only to be just. What is justice, in a city of lawlessness? What is kindness, in a city of the unkind?"

He smiled, sadly, before turning away from the tower back towards the squadron before him, inclining his head. In the end, Ashley Harker had no power to call his own, and had to call on the power of others to save himself. In the end, nothing had really changed from when he was younger, and a man had picked him up by the scruff his neck and told him that he was now his apprentice.

"My name is Ashley Harker. The Seven Sins are inclined to want my head served to them on platter. After all, what else could you do, to someone who knows that you're planning a war?"

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

Theola August
    Inferno-City Streets
    The Present-Morning

There was a brief break as the three people in the office awkwardly waited.

Eventually there must have been some sort of signal that got passed to Lux. She looked up from the documents at her desk and motioned towards the chief and Theola.

"Miss Loki is ready now and will be heading out."

The chief straightened up, as did Theola. She was finally going to meet one of the famous yet secretive council of seven, the very one in charge of governing the section of Eden that she lived in. Well, technically in just a few hours there would be thousands who would see her for the first time, but Theola was getting a sneak preview of sorts.

The door opened.

For an instant, Theola's vision went dark, as if the lights had briefly flickered. But there was no such mechanical error. A young lady had walked through the open door, and Theola could instinctively tell that she was the leader. There was a heavy presence emitting from her, almost like a gravity.

She blinked, and the feeling vanished.

The governor of Inferno greeted her with a surprisingly soft voice.

"I am 'Loki', of the council. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Spoiler:

Loki-Governor of Inferno, Council of Seven

Ashley Harker
    The Present-Morning

With a smile, Harker waved her off, a small, sad thing on his lips.

"Aye, I suppose I do have some issues. But it is not something for you to worry about. Everyone in this city has problems of their own, ones that they must solve themselves."
    "mmm..."

The leader quietly observed the man as he launched into his monologue response to a relatively simple request.

In contrast, the rest of the squad looked somewhat confused at the unexpected incoherent ramblings of the stranger before them.

"Do we not all exist under the same sky? Do we not all breathe the same air? Why is it that those of us down here are so much less than those above us? What twist of fate made it so that those who live here are worth so much less than those in that tower?"

"The Seven Sins, in all of their debauchery, have never claimed to be just. The Council, in all their cruelty, claim only to be just. What is justice, in a city of lawlessness? What is kindness, in a city of the unkind?"
    "..."

"what the hell...?"

A man in the back muttered out loud at the gibberish that was sprouting out of the madman's mouth. There was a feeling of irritation and annoyance that was beginning to spread between the patrol. They had an important job to do, and didn't have enough time to waste listening to the nonsense sprouted by every nutcase they come across.

Only the captain seemed to be listening intently to every word.

"My name is Ashley Harker. The Seven Sins are inclined to want my head served to them on platter. After all, what else could you do, to someone who knows that you're planning a war?"
    "...I see." She seemed to have reached an understanding of some sort. Behind her, the troops were growing more and more restless.

"Sir, are we finished here?"

"Yes, just about. Continue with the patrol. I'll catch up with you soon."

At her order, the patrol that was behind her straightened up and began moving almost as one unit. There wasn't any hesitation or a single section out of sync. Without giving Harker a second thought, they moved on past him.

Soon, only Harker and the nameless captain remained.

She stared at Harker for another moment and then gave a tired sigh.

"Those are some strong beliefs you hold there, Harker. For better or for worse. Lofty ideals and dangerous enemies. But I guess this isn't really something I should be saying. Hmmm..."

"If you're feeling threatened by the Seven Sins, you could always head to the police station. For what it's worth, I can vouch for the chief there. For the most part, he's a good person... but I don't know if that's the type of action you would take."

With those words, she seemed to have finished what she was planning to say and began to resume her patrol. She headed down the road to rejoin her squad.

As she moved past Harker, she left him a final parting message. He turned as if to reconfirm what his ears heard, but by then she had vanished down the alleyways, together with the rest of her patrol.

"A wish and will is all it takes to change the world."

Spoiler:

????? - Agent of Eden

Morning END

Honk

Act 1. Part 2: Converging Destinies

This has progressed far beyond the breaking point

Inferno-Central Plaza
    Afternoon

Countless people from all over the Inferno levels had made their way to the central plaza and now the
    the area were completely packed full to the brim with people. The atmosphere was thick with a mixture of tension, excitement, and anxiety. Everybody there was for a single reason. The same reason. It was without a doubt, a once in a lifetime occurrence, something that had never happened in living memory, or perhaps ever. Something that a person did not want to miss.

The scheduled public appearance of one of the Council of Seven inside the confines of Inferno. It might not sound like much, but for the people who spent their lives living in this level, it was the equivalent of a god descending from on high down into the world. Of course that isn't to say that everybody there were overwhelmingly fans of the council. Like most ruling bodies, there was mixed opinions scattered through the crowd of citizens patiently waiting there. But even their naysayers were there, if only to confirm their own beliefs with their own eyes. This was going to be an event that went down in history books.

And yet, unknown to everybody there, it was in a way much more than that. Things that had been set in motion long ago were finally beginning to boil over as the gears turned and the world arrives at the crossroads of destiny. Saint and sinners, demons and witches, devils and contractors... the gathered fates converged and intersected with one another, spiraling into a singular point.

Suddenly everybody's eyes focused on a single point. At last the promised time had arrived. A young woman appeared, surrounded by her security detail and began to approach the podium that had been set up. An electric shock almost seemed to run through the crowd as some people broke out in sweats or shivers. Without saying a word, just by walking towards them, she seemed to almost have a powerful pressure emanating from her. This was... Loki. The governor of Inferno, and one of the Council of Seven. The ones who ruled not only Inferno but all of Eden.

She stood before the crowd of hundreds, perhaps thousands of people without any signs of nervousness. Instead, she gave the people a kind smile. And like that, the pressure evaporated as people began to relax.

"Greetings, Inferno. I have a very important topic that I have come before you today to talk about," she began.

And then the world exploded.

A wall of flame materialized above the plaza, and then scattered, shooting fiery fragments towards Loki. One of the security standing next to her managed to react in time and managed to push her out of the way just in time. All around, the plaza erupted into chaos as hundreds of gangsters took out their hidden weapons and began attacking, hacking their way through the crowd of people. Furthermore, explosions and pillars of fire kept erupting from the ground, burning anybody unlucky enough to be caught inside it's range. Some ran, only to be cut by a seemingly invisible force. It was almost as if there were several different supernatural phenomena assaulting the venue in addition.

From near the back of the plaza, a man laughed. He took a drag from his cigarette in his hand, and gave a sadistic smile.

"Julius of the Seventh Sin of Pride extends his welcome, oh great Loki," he said with a sarcastic tone of voice. "As well as his farewells." He snapped his finger as another fireball erupted in the plaza.

Ashley Harker
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

There were many reasons for Harker to have come to the event. Not the least of which were the troubling plans he uncovered, but also curiosity. This was a chance to see one of the Council of Seven with his own two eyes. A chance to see the ultimate enemy in the way of his dream, of reforming this paradise of Eden. Unfortunately for him, as he arrived a bit late, he was forced near the end of the plaza, far away from the main attraction. However considering what had happened, this may have been a blessing in disguise.

The world erupted into fire, smoke and screams. This was no time to be just waiting around. Harker was not the type of person who could just sit back and do nothing as people around him were hurt. As he spun around, frantically trying to think of what he should do, a certain dialogue caught his ear.

"Julius of the Seventh Sin of Pride extends his welcome, oh great Loki. As well as his farewells."

The voice was close. About twenty yards to Harker's right stood a man who seemed rather out of place in all the pandemonium, casually smoking a cigarette. He proceeded to snap his fingers as even more fire filled the air. There was no doubt about it. This was the man responsible for the flames.

And furthermore he was someone just like Harker, one who made a contract with the devil.

Stray Dog
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

It was nothing more than a whim. After winning his fight and earning a very nice payday for himself, Stray Dog had the rest of the day free. With nothing particularly in mind, he headed to the plaza for the big speech that was planned later that day. There was something deep inside his soul that was pulling him there, telling him to go and so he indulged that instinct. He had no great expectations for the event and was rather prepared to be bored the entire way through, but for better or for worse his expectations were shattered.

A world filled with blood and smoke. Certain familiar memories rose to the surface in Stray Dog's mind. What had happened? What was happening? As Stray Dog unsteadily rose to his feet after being knocked down by the initial blast, someone from behind him swung at his head with a large bat. Almost instinctively, he dodged the blow, unsheathed his sword and cut him down in a single motion. The thug still had a look of surprise as he feel downwards, gargling blood from where his throat had been cut.

"Julius of the Seventh Sin of Pride extends his welcome, oh great Loki. As well as his farewells."

In the close distance, he heard that line being said. Stray dog homed in on it's source: a man casually smoking as he enjoyed the carnage unfolding around him. There was no doubt that this was the man responsible for all of this.

And yet Stray Dog felt uneasy. His instincts screamed at him. He let his eyes wander, and almost immediately found the source of his unease.

Standing a small distance away from the smoking man, hiding his presence was another man. A white haired man who silently watched the rest of chaos with a razor focus, never dropping his guard for a single moment. The focus of his attention was clear.

The VIP and his guard dog.

Stray dog shuddered as a feeling of dread filled him. He could tell with a single glance. This man was skilled. And also, this man was abnormal.

Just like Stray Dog himself.

Spoiler:

Adam Harker-Seven Sins Member, Pride Faction
    Devil Contractor

Guard Dog-Seven Sins Member, Pride Faction
    Devil Contractor

Theola August
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

For a moment, it felt like time slowed down. The very thing that they were afraid might happen, occurred. Death approached Loki from above. In this tableau of frozen time, only one person managed to react in time.

The chief who had never let his guard down even for a moment, managed to close the distance between himself and the governor. And in a single motion, he shoved her out of the way of the incoming fireball before diving to safety himself. With a loud thud, Loki crashed into the ground next to Theola. Throughout the plaza, countless weapons were being drawn, not to mention the explosions and screams. Such a brazen direct attack was almost unthinkable. It had never been done. And beyond that, they were using the most taboo of taboos in their assaults, devil contractors.

The chief glanced over at Theola. Not a word needed to be said. Even if this was a worst case scenario, it was also something that had been extensively planned for. This was the reason they were able to react in time. And of course, Theola had her orders. Quickly helping Loki to her feet, she gathered the rest of her squad and made their way down one of the designated escape routes as behind her the chief rallied the rest of the police force into the crowd to combat the attacking gang members.

"I can't believe they actually did something like this..." muttered April, one of Theola's subordinates. "It's practically an open declaration of full scale hostilities isn't it? And those powers... this is insane"

"We can discuss this later after we get to safety," replied Jules. He looked back at the person they were escorting. "Are you doing okay, Miss Loki?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine..." Loki seemed a bit shocked at the events that had occurred, a bit unfocused but she kept pace with the rest of the group as they made their way down the various snaking alleys.

Running like this for your very life through alleyways... familiar memories began rising up inside of Theola. Images of that night from the past superimposed themselves on her eyes in the present. It was simultaneously a familiar and unsettling feeling.

Something was wrong. Something she had missed. Her instincts were screaming at her that there was danger heading her way. Why did memories of that night suddenly come to mind?

The answer flashed through it just as quickly. They were being chased. Just as they had prepared for the scenario in which they were attacked, there was no doubt that the enemy had prepared something in case their target had avoided the initial attack and attempted to escape. To think otherwise was plain naive. Attack, force the target into a smaller area with less people, and then go for the killing blow-

"-!!"

Her instinct for battle that had allowed her to survive to this day screamed. Out of the furthermost corner of her eye, she saw the tiniest glint of light. But that was enough. With a single movement, she spun, unsheathed her sword and swung her blade.

Her instinct struck true.

The sound of clanging metal. A knife that had been aimed at the back of Loki's neck was deflected aside. As the rest of the group began to slowly process what had just happened before their eyes, Theola's mind raced ahead.

There was still no sign of the assassin, but it was clear that there was one. And judging by the trajectory of the blade, he was a skilled one. It had been thrown directly at Loki's neck without being off by even a millimeter. Protecting Loki from these various attacks as they ran to safety seemed to be an extremely difficult task. Besides there's not much point in a safe house if they lead the enemy straight to it. In which case it's better to eliminate the enemy here and now. However, stopping to fight and finish off an enemy had it's own set of dangers. Every second wasted was another second that the governor was in potential danger.

There was another conclusion that Theola reached as well. This assassin was likely too much for her squad to handle. It was just a feeling deep down inside telling her this. On the other hand, it also told her that this assassin was likely the only one on that level. As long as he was taken care, there probably weren't any other enemies that the gangs had left in store that her squad could not take care of. In that case, would it be best to trust in her squad to escort the governor to safety?

Theola had to make a decision, and make it fast.

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternon

"That fucker!" Ash cursed loudly as chaos enveloped the plaza. "That fucking insane son of a bitch! We had an agreement, and he went behind everybody's backs and attacked anyway. I'm going to kill that arrogant little prick!"

The two of them had gone to plaza to monitor the situation, and to get a good look at their enemy. However, they didn't expect one of their 'allies' to launch such a reckless, public attack. Furthermore, it seemed like the Pride's gang members were just indiscriminately hacking their way through in order to make their way to the stands as the police jumped into the crowd to face them. Fights were breaking out all over the place as everyone fought for their very survival.

"tch-"

A young punk with several piercings tried to knife Ash in the back. Ash deftly avoided the thrust and proceed to lay him out with a single powerful punch to the chest.

"Looks like we'll have to put a delay on that test. Sorry, but I'll have my hands full just escaping on my own so you're going to be on your own. Hell, let's just make this a test. Find a way to get the hell out of here, we'll meet up later to finalize that initiation." Firing off those words, Ash vanished into the crowd, quickly weaving back and forth until he was out of sight.

Asher was left alone within the giant brawl of people. However, that wasn't to remain the case. A trio of thugs, noticing the unconscious punk near Asher's feet and assuming that he's the one responsible, quickly began making their way towards him. And judging by the way they were holding their weapons it was clear that he was to be a target for retribution.

Lukas Ignazio
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

Like everybody else, Lukas had gathered in the plaza that day to grasp a peek at the mysterious Loki, who was one of the few who ruled over Olympus. As she took to the podium however, a strange unfamiliar feeling crept into Lukas's mind. There was something about this person that he just couldn't put his finger on. However, before he could progress his thoughts any further, the world proceeded to turn into hell. He no longer had the luxury of expending the brain power on such superfluous thoughts, not if he wanted to survive.

It almost seemed like the middle of a warzone to him. All around, countless battles were occurring, as criminals clashed with police. And here and there, bodies would be sent shooting into the air, launched by the artillery that were the supernatural powers on the gang's side. The smell of burned flesh, of smoke and blood filled his nostrils and the countless screams rung through his ears. He suppressed the urge to vomit.

Suddenly, a chill sped down his spine. It almost felt like the temperature in the local area had dropped several degrees. He immediately threw himself to the side, rolling far away from where he was standing. The next instant, several people who had been standing near location he had just been at were sliced apart, their blood and organs painting splattering against the ground.

"...oh? You noticed and avoided that?"

A quiet voice nearby caught Lukas's attention. Standing nearby was a young girl, who seemed unaffected by the chaos surrounding her. No, if anything it almost seemed like it was avoiding her, going around her.

She lifted the cross around her neck and brought it up to her chin as she stared at Lukas. She was dressed like a member of the faith, but it was clear that she had made a deal with the devil.

In that sense, she wasn't that different from Lukas himself.

"Was that just a coincidence...?"

It was faint, but Lukas sensed it. Just now, something invisible had just been fired, aimed directly at himself.

Spoiler:

Rosary-Seven Sins Member, Pride Faction
    Devil Contractor

Fatima and Gremory
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

The two of them had been sent to scout the speech being given by the mysterious Loki, governor of Inferno. It was supposed to be a rather simple task, as Miss Grey hadn't actually expected much to happen.

Of course, expectations and reality often differ. The current situation in the plaza was proof of that. To be honest though, how could they have expected that. After all, the criminal underworld was supposed to be in agreement on this. So just who in the underworld would be so bold and suicidal to launch this type of attack on their own?

Not that they had much time to really consider that. Considering the pandemonium occuring throughout the plaza, the number one priority right now would be to escape back, and report the information to their organization.

The very next moment, the air infront of them crackled, and then exploded into fire. The area was instantly covered in thick suffocitating smoke, and burning heat. There was no way to keep track of other people inside this cloud of darkness. By the time Fatima and Gremory made it out, they were seperated. Each of them were alone in a sea of people, who were more interested in killing one another than they were in paying attention to them. However, to remain in one place was dangerous. The number one priorty was to safely escape from this mess, and to trust that their partner could accomplish the same.

Ana
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

After making arrangements with Yuri, she decided to head over to the plaza in order to get a good look at the target. After all, this was a notoriously reclusive person that almost never made public appearances, so having a scheduled event so soon where Ana would be able to see her for herself was almost a godsend.

Then the attack started. The giant fireball rained down from the sky directly towards Loki. Almost in slow motion, the man nearby managed to push her out of the way before diving to safety. Pulling her up. Directing her towards another security detail, which would no doubt take her to some safe location. As Loki slowly got to her feet, her eyes swept the crowd.

And for the briefest of instants, Loki and Ana locked eyes with one another. The contact couldn't have lasted more than a tenth of a second.

It was almost like an electric spike had been driven into Ana's brain. What was that just now? This unshakable feeling of deja vu? There was absolutely no memory that Ana had of anybody resembling Loki, yet what was this feeling inside her mind? And from the looks of it, Loki seemed to have experienced a similar sensation.

A sharp pain in Ana's back jolted her back to reality. Time resumed it's normal pace as some thug drove their elbow into her back, knocking Ana out of his way. There was no time to wonder about what had just happened right now. That could wait until afterwards when she had made it to safety. For now, she had to find some way out of the danger first.

Honk

Theola August
    Inferno
    Afternoon

For Theola, there was nothing quite as unsettling as familiar memories. After all, they were almost certainly things that she did not want to remember- a past that was best left forgotten. Theola August was an individual whose existence was validated by that purpose.

But in this case, she found herself somewhat grateful- the sense of unease had sharpened her thoughts and instincts. Thanks to that, the knife of the would-be killer found itself resting upon the cold hard pavement, rather than in the still warm flesh of the governor- if what was occurring now was the worst-case scenario that they had prepared for, then that would have been the worst-case scenario that they had not prepared for. A disaster in every sense of the word. That it had been averted could be considered nothing but fortuitous.

Fortune alone, however, would not save them from the predicament that they were in. That was something she would have to do herself.

From her perspective, there were three choices.

The first was to continue as is, and protect the governor from attacks by the assassin. Her prospects of successfully doing so all the way until they arrived at the safe house, were slim at best- not to mention that they would have essentially alerted their enemies to the governor’s location, which ruined the point of evacuating her.

The second was to have some members of her team hold off the assassin. This would presumably ensure that the assassin would not be able to follow them anymore, while leaving her ready to protect the governor in case anything happened to her. But something told her that the people who stayed behind for the task would fare rather poorly- it would be tantamount to leaving them to die, and the assassin would be free to go.

Which meant that her only real choice was the third.

She would stay behind, and fight off the assassin personally.

This would ensure that the assassin would be dealt with, and leave the governor safe in the hands of her team. She would trust that they could handle any other threats that were ahead and meet up with them when she was finished.

It was far from a perfect plan. After all, the safety of the governor was top priority- in that respect, option two might have been better. If it was up to the chief, then it was certainly possible that he would have picked that option- at the very least, Theola couldn’t imagine that he would have been happy with her decision to go on the attack after all his warnings.

But Theola was not the chief.

“Jules!”

Glancing over at the member of her team in question, she gave him a quick order.

“I’ll deal with our pursuer. I’ll leave you in charge.”

And with those brief words exchanged, she turned the entirety of her attention towards finding the assassin.

To rid the city of its gangs, restoring peace to the city once and for all… that was the ultimate goal the chief had outlined earlier. It was a perfect ending straight out of a fairytale, a saccharine story that would not be out of place in a children’s book. There was even a time where Theola herself would’ve no doubt enjoyed stories much like it.

Unfortunately, she had long outgrown them.

Her own goals were much simpler and straightforward. Her ambitions were reserved and within reach. She did not fight for the sake of a grand ideal such as bringing peace to the city, and such a future would not have brought her any peace- someone like her had no place in it. All she existed to do, was simply-

-cut down the evil in front of her.

Theola August
    Inferno
    Afternoon

“Jules! I’ll deal with our pursuer. I’ll leave you in charge.”
    Jules instantly processed the new order given to him by his captain and gave a nod. The meaning behind it was clear.

"Understood. Miss Loki, everyone, let's hurry."

Without sparing a look back, the remaining squad and Loki resumed their retreat, their footsteps growing dimmer and dimmer as they got further and further away. Theola turned herself to face the seemingly empty alleyway, heightening her senses to the very maximum in order to not let a single detail escape her notice.

Silence. But she could sense an aura of bloodlust combined with frustration. The target was escaping, but try as they might, they could not find a single way to slip past this obstacle before them.

If it was impossible to sneak past, then all that remained was to break through. It seemed that the assassin had finally reached this conclusion, as the focus of the bloodlust turned towards Theola herself.

This was a thought process that Theola had already predicted. In fact, one could call it the obvious next move.

The silence was broken by the sound of approaching footsteps. Soon, a figure emerged into view.

Theola blinked, trying to hide her shock. She recognized this person. It was a figure straight out of the past, from her previous life.

It had been years since that day. Years since she had been reborn.

On that day she had been chased by assassins too. Members of her own organization, sent to punish her for her betrayal, and tie up loose ends.

She had been there. Her form was much more worn down now compared to how it had been back then, there were dozens of new scars on her body, and she was wearing a strange mask, but she was unmistakably the 'same person'.

The assassin however did not give away any reaction. To her, Theola was just an obstacle to be destroyed on the path to her true target. Unsheathing her blade, she dashed forward at incredible speed.

Faster than she was in the past.

Her blade was swung in a familiar arc. A perfectly executed swing that accurately sought to slice open Theola's throat.

Spoiler:

'Maria'-Underworld Assassin

Honk

Blog Entries
    Ashley Harker
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

Harker's body moved automatically.

He knew, intellectually, that he could not save any of the people in the plaza. That the world that was already so hopeless had become just a bit more so. But...

There was one thing he definitely could do.

There was one thing that only Ashley Harker could accomplish in this situation, as he stood before a contractor of a devil. After all, the Pride Faction may be extending welcomes and farewells, but there is that single, annoying ant underneath their feet, pricking at their toes, gnashing at their heels. And sometimes, a single person is all that is needed to change the world.

Tell me, what do you see when you dream?

Hopeless idealism. An irreversible diagnosis, someone once told him when he asked why this city was so cruel. Best to just ignore it and keep his head down.

A wish and will is all it takes to change the world.

And yet, after his wish, what had he truly done? Helped whoever he could? Tried to save those that were left? Was it so wrong? A misuse of his power? To save one person, sacrifice ten. To save ten people, sacrifice one hundred. To save one hundred people, sacrifice one thousand. Yet... why would they have to be sacrificed? It plagued him, as he tried to sleep. As he stared at the stars and thought of Alexander, of a hopeless, idealistic dream and a contract he swore to one of the greatest demons in all creation.

What is thy desire?

The person in that corner was unquestionably strong. This was simply a fact that Harker had to acknowledge. To be in such high esteem in the Pride faction would not be a simple task, as he knew very well. But he had to try. His body moved without him meaning to. He ignored the screams, the dying, even as he desperately wanted to turn, every atom of his body screaming to try to save those around him as he was once saved. But he could not. Even in the sad eyes of the man who had originally bought him, he had known to his very core.

Not everyone can be saved.

A fact that he didn't want to be true. A truth that he refused to acknowledge as fact. Everyone is definitely a person who can be saved. No matter the creed, the cause, or the purpose -- there is not a person in this world unworthy of justice.

His body stopped moving as he stood in the alleyway, staring at a man who could kill him without a second thought. He raised a hand, and smiled kindly.

"Pardon me, but would you so terribly mind removing the flames? I do believe we could still aid the people here. They are not your enemy, after all."

This city is dying.

He knew it was a hopeless task. In no world would anyone reasonably listen to him over something so meaningless and ludicrous as this. The person before him was too cruel by half, too callous by half, to listen to such naivety as 'everyone can be saved', and 'there is always another solution'. But...

Was it so wrong to try?

Was it so, terribly wrong, to try to find a noble solution in this ignoble world?

Harker sighed, running a hand through his hair with a despairing smile. "Apologies. I am sure you have more important things to do then listen to me prattle. My name is Ashley Harker. This city and its people are under my protection."

Kid, listen to me.
    Intellectually, it was obvious. There was no simple way to victory here.

In your life, you're going to run into a lot of people who hate you. You're going to meet more who disagree with you.

With merely words, he had no way to convince the person before him of his cause.

In this city, kindness is a sin. If you do something noble, someone else will do something ignoble.

They were simply too different to agree. That was the way the world worked.

But kid, you can't only think with your heart. I know you've got a head somewhere in that idiotic soul of yours. Not every fight can be won with words. Words are wind if nobody's listening.

When words failed...

"I would prefer a non-violent solution," He said slowly, looking at the man before him with warm eyes. Both men knew it was impossible, but Harker wanted to try. The attempt has meaning, even if the results are meaningless. He closed his eyes for a moment, breathing deeply.

His mind closes.

His heart closes.

His eyes open once more, steely determination filling him to the very core of his being, iron flooding through his veins as he smiled at the man, his mind already making note of what could be used in the area for his upcoming task.

"But if words fail, then all that we have left is swords, is it not?"

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    Asher was left alone within the giant brawl of people. However, that wasn't to remain the case. A trio of thugs, noticing the unconscious punk near Asher's feet and assuming that he's the one responsible, quickly began making their way towards him. And judging by the way they were holding their weapons it was clear that he was to be a target for retribution.
    Asher Bharrant
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

It would seem that Asher was not alone in thinking of sending a message to the Seven. However this was nothing like what he had in mind before.

No this, this was just pure chaos, senseless violence that would only make matters worse. The only thing gained with such methods is loss.

Yes, an attack on the Governor of Inferno, open rebellion and rioting, the violence and over-the-top destruction, all of it was to be expected if you've lived in Inferno.
    This was a grim reminder for Asher, that this place really is beyond saving. A reminder that he had to go out of this place.

However, with this eruption of chaos new possibilities and opportunities are formed. While Asher can only suspect at what Loki would have said to the people of Inferno, she is still nearby. The window of getting to her is insanely small, with little chance that things will go as he planned, however that won't stop him from trying regardless.

Of course, there was the riot standing between him and the police forces safeguarding the Governor, and three of the unfortunate people here decided that Asher was to be the next victim of needless violence.

Not backing down from the obvious challenge, Asher invoked the power granted to him for having done the ultimate taboo. He took a stance, ready to counterattack the three punks who rush him and intimidate them where possible. His fists now more dangerous than any of the weapons the trio wield, Asher intends to finish their foolishness with as little time wasted as possible.

He may not be fully part of the Wrath faction yet, however if he he can't enforce his will in a situation like this, could he really say he passed their test?

His window of opportunity grows smaller every moment, but something useful may be salvaged from this mess. The next few moments would be crucial, as the violence increases and the situation escalates further and further.

"Ugh... I really do hate violence."

Ashley Harker
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

"Pardon me, but would you so terribly mind removing the flames? I do believe we could still aid the people here. They are not your enemy, after all. I would prefer a non-violent solution. But if words fail, then all that we have left is swords, is it not?"
    Harker's heartfelt plea to stop the carnage unfolding before his eyes was lost amidst the chaos. It was unlikely that Adam even noticed Ashley's presence let alone heard his request to stop his ruthless attacks. Paying no mind, Adam raises his hand, and laughing swings it down.

In the distance, another pillar of fire falls from the sky onto a mass of unlucky citizens caught in it's wake. The screams and cries of pain echo though the air, each one driving a knife into Ashley Harker's heart, each one another soul that he failed to save.

That isn't to say that nobody noticed Ashley Harker. Unbeknownst to him, he had attracted some rather unwanted attention.

Stray Dog suddenly noticed that the Guard Dog protecting Adam Harker had been observing him as well. When you spy upon another person, be careful you are not spied upon in return. It was something that had slipped Stray Dog's mind.

The person casually measured up Stray Dog, and then seemingly lost interest. He didn't seem to think Stray Dog was worth bothering with. Instead he turned his head to look towards another source of potential trouble.

Ashley Harker.

He watched Harker for a few seconds more, and then seemed to reach a decision. The next moment, he vanished.

He had begun slipping through the panic crowd, making his way unseen to Ashley Harker in order to eliminate him before he even realized what was going on.

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

"Ugh... I really do hate violence."
    Asher muttered those words to himself as the three thugs reached him. The first thug swung a bat at Asher, but it broke harmlessly against his arms.

"Wha-"

Before he could even finish his exclamation of surprise, Asher struck, his enhanced arm striking against the thug's open chest, breaking his ribs and instantly knocking him out. Before the two other thugs could regain their composure at the scene they were witnessing, Asher struck two more times, each time his attack finding their mark to the sounds of bones cracking.

And in a matter of seconds, the three thugs were subdued.

Now onto his next course of action, whether it be to pursue Loki or to escape-

"Oh ho? What's this? Not bad at all little man."

A voice suddenly came from right behind Asher. Someone had actually managed to slip into his blind spot.

Instinctively, Asher dived to his side. The sound of something whistling through the air, and the next moment, the area Asher had been standing at... exploded. Debris flew every which way as a figure emerged from the mini crater that had formed. Just what kind of weapon did this person use? A sinking feeling grew in Asher's chest as he saw the answer to his question.

The person wielded... no weapons. What she had used to create that crater was nothing more than her fist. She stared at Asher with a cocky grin, and pointed to him with her finger, before gesturing for him to come at her.

"You seem to be a little stronger than most. It's been a while since I had myself a fun fight and really cut loose. So come at me."

Spoiler:

Pike-Seven Sins Member, Pride Faction

Honk

Blog Entries
    Stray Dog
    Inferno-Plaza
    Afternoon

Dum.

Dum.

Dum dum dum dum.

This happened every time something happened to him, ever since the day he had escaped from his cell. The world would slow down, until the only thing he could feel was his own heartbeat. Then, like clockwork, it would speed up again, and he would know what to do.

When he had killed Griffin, it had happened. When he had cut people down, it had happened. When he fought to survive, it happened. When he had saved other people, it had happened.

And now, specks of some street thug's blood on his face, it was starting to happen again.

Stray Dog's world had gone silent after that night.

In other words, he was completely deaf.

He couldn't hear the words of Loki or Adam, and wouldn't even know the full story of what had happened until much later. All he knew was what lay before him, in his line of sight.

Dum.

Dum.

Dum.

The world was starting to slow down.

The other boy wielding a weapon, the one considering Stray Dog, turned away. If he'd been paying proper attention, he never would have done so.

Stray Dog's instincts locked everything else out.

The man smoking a cigarette, who was sending fire into the crowd.

The people running away, trampling over each other in their panic.

The smell of smoke.

The vibrations of the street.

People who made a contract with a devil were never, as a rule, completely normal. Even if they made themselves into a force for 'good', they were fundamentally different from any other person. Something about them was warped.

As Stray Dog's body began to shake from adrenaline, he couldn't help but agree.

Violence.

That's what his instincts were telling him.

Commit violence.

Cut him down.

Bite him.

As the person labeled Guard Dog slipped through the crowd to eliminate Ashley Harker, a man wishing for peace, Stray Dog's blood began to accelerate through his body, standing out against his pale skin.

He didn't know Ashley yet.

All he simply wanted to do-

Click.

-was this.

Stray Dog burst through the crowd as Guard Dog came for another man's life. His speed had cracked the street underneath him as his long, jagged sword came crashing down at the back of Guard Dog's neck - right in front of Ashley Harker.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'