Page 102 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2529297100101102103104107112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Phase: Midnight
    Date: 11.09.1994 (SUN)
    Weather: Darkness

Her words could not be a better cue. Every single cell in his body tells him: “this is the time”.

“Nonetheless, I thank you.”

Yes, it is something as simple as that. His heart laments the irony that the reason he lives his life in gratitude to her is precisely for making him everything that she is not.

“I…do not remember much of my parents. What little I do remember, however, is being taught to express proper gratitude.”

His face, unusually tense from pretty much everything that’s happened this morning, allows itself to ease into a vestige of a proper smile. Calm, serene, whole.

“Therefore, I thank you, for giving me my life. That night, and every day after that.”

He means a lot more than his survival that night. When she captured his soul, she engraved purpose and direction in his life, making it a single-minded quest to reach her again. For just over ten years, she has been his beacon, his lighthouse and his horizon. Her sight engraved in his thoughts became the gift of superhuman focus and the foundation for his thoroughly disciplined behavior. She gave him what so many others spend their entire lives looking for: a purpose. Something to aim for. A reason to be hardworking, patient, careful and self-sufficient to a degree. Most would say that living in obsession for a being of the Turnside is no way to live. However, if he compares himself to those aimlessly drifting through life, without vision, aim or plan, without a harbor to sail to, he can consider himself fortunate. His life may not have color, but there has always been a light to follow.

“Truly, I am grateful. Even if it was a matter of circumstances; even if it was a whimsical choice, it meant literally everything to me. For giving me life and purpose, thank you very much.”

Those words were everything he wanted.

John closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and for perhaps the first time in his life, he feels true, complete satisfaction. Like this, the quest of a little over ten years comes to its end.

Exactly one instant later, John Dove’s new quest begins.

Now that he has fulfilled the purpose of a lifetime, what new aim, what new focus will this broken young man claim for himself? For a moment, his eyes rest on the two corpses. Indeed, he already has an idea or two.

John then looks down at the elegant, even frail-looking handwear. It is somehow back on his hand, but it is not in his nature to act surprised. Slowly, carefully, like handling the most delicate relic, John takes off the “artifact” and stores it back in the pocket of his pants, where it has always been. This seemingly very important object is yet another matter he has to deal with at some point. However, the first and foremost thing in his mind is, and probably always will be, the being in front of him. Her words are gospel, and therefore demand his immediate attention.

“So, it has always been like that. In some way, I am the reason that causes you to appear,” he muses. “No, even the very first time, that night?” It makes him shake his head. “I…cannot imagine why; I was just a child. Had I been aware of their intentions, then a wish for salvation would’ve been understandable, but I had no idea why we were there in the first place….no, I, I’m already rambling. There are many things I could ask, but the first thing first.”

Again, John faces the one in shadow straight and firm.

“You own me and my gratitude. How can I be of assistance, then?”

If she has whims, then she also has desires. Does she wish to take the “artifact” from him, give it to a more suitable owner? Does she want to get rid of whatever power binds them to each other? Does she wish for death, either his or hers?

In the end, his fate rests on her hands, as it always has. This time, however, he wants to believe it was his choice to make it so. It remains to be seen whether this is a change for the better or for the worse.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Weather: Overcast

“Yeah, sure. I’ll just stop by my room real quick first.”

There’s not much to say—no point in antagonizing the person with a gun—and getting food was probably the right idea. Lucille was in no mood to argue, either… While she also didn’t agree with splitting up, the school definitely didn’t feel safe, she can’t really argue with Hisa over hunches and feelings over evidence. If two people argue, using opinions meant you wouldn’t get anywhere. Only facts mattered, and Lucille didn’t have any concrete evidence that it was the wrong choice.

Lucille is thankful that Elise offers Vier to stay down and watch and that the girl surprisingly agrees… Ideally, putting Vier with Aleen means there’s some semblance of control, and that not all of the food in the kitchen is going to be converted into hard tack. There’s something that pains her when she thinks that Sakura’s precious ingredients will be used for that.

The girl goes up the stairs in a slight rush—time wasted was time that could be used to help Pyry, and makes a beeline to her room. From there the process is mechanical; she digs through the pile of suitcases, unlocks the right one, and unceremoniously shoves the precious Arc-Relic in her bag. Normally she’d be down for carrying it openly, but she supposes that in Vier’s mind, it’s perfectly reasonable to shoot someone with a sword, and she definitely does not want to get shot today.

Then she makes a beeline towards the kitchen, aiming to get everything done thoroughly, but quickly.

Elise Pelltier

Elise hastily made her way to the kitchen and made a beeline for the sink. If she was going with Hisa, all she needed from her room was her coat, with a trusted item tucked away securely in its inside pocket, none of which she wanted to handle with her bloodstained hands. Right now, she had an opportunity to rid her hands of the proof of whatever misfortune had befallen her during her the gaps in her memories which the demon claimed to have eaten for her own good. Reaching the sink, she got the water running, and felt immediate relief as the water soaked her hands. She let the water run over her hands for a moment before she finally reached for the scrub brush.

She considered the scrub brush for a moment, and thought back to the previous day, About this time yesterday, I was here scrubbing dishes with John...

"Out damn spot!" hissed Elise as she set to scrubbing the blood off her hands.

Lucille, having presumably collected whatever she needed from her room, rushed into the kitchen and, following Mercedes' plan, set about assembling food.

Right. The other reason I wanted to go to the kitchen. I said I'd worry about this later, and later's already then now.

Elise took a deep breath, looked over at Lucille, and began, with an artificial cheerfulness, "Hey, uhm, I know I haven't known her as long as you have, but I counted Sakura as a friend of mine too. Heh, I never suspected she was an Inquisitor. What are the odds that she ended up in the bench beside mine on the bus, eh?"

Elise turned her eyes back to her hands and started scrubbing her hand harder.

"I'm- I'm sorry I didn't tell you all this earlier, Lucille, but I didn't want to say this all in front of everyone..."

She sighed, and continued in a more clinical tone.

"Yesterday morning, Sakura recruited Alexstrasza and to help her make breakfast in the kitchen when the Coastrises showed up here unexpectedly. I didn't realize it at the time, I thought she just wanted help at the time and maybe she did, but Sakura pretty much ran Alexstrasza through a vampire screening test here, and well, she didn't pass. Looking back, I don't doubt that Alexstrasza was the vampire. Sakura made her chop garlic, heck, even served her a garlic filled omelette and expected her to eat it all, which she couldn't do. Although that might've just been Sakura being Sakura..." recalled Elise, "Anyway, Alexstrasza cut herself and Sakura bandaged her up, and managed to get a sample of her blood in the process, which would've been more than enough to confirm whether or not she was a vampire. A vampire's blood would be cold and dead, not like living blood at all... It wouldn't have the same taste or texture to it. You'd be able to tell the difference."

Elise stopped scrubbing her hands for a moment, and simply held her hands under the water.

"This morning, when we were out by the tree, Elaine said that she was outside last night and found Alexstrasza, badly injured, being attacked by a masked ninja and intervened. She- she couldn't have known, she just saw a fellow student she recognized being attacked by an unknown assailant. I-I didn't want to believe it was Sakura, but well, I don't doubt it now. Elaine said that she left the "ninja" critically injured, forcing her to retreat, and then she tried to rush Alexstrasza to the hospital, but the hospital was closed. Alexstrasza, succumbed to her injuries and died, and Elaine buried her somewhere along the main road. I've no doubt that she's well and truly dead, Sakura must have used her Der Nagel on her because..."

"... I got the chance to examine Elaine's injuries from the night before. They'd healed up pretty well, considering how bad they must've originally been, but the irritation around the wound was... well, it was the sort of thing I'd expect to see in an unholy beast when they're injured by a Der Nagel. I don't know if she was just unlucky and cursed, or- or what- but..."

Elise trailed off. The faucet was still running, but it was the only source of water now.

"I'm sure she thought she was- I'm sure she had the best intentions, but... she hurt Sakura... and... and..."

Elise's sentence ended abruptly with a sob.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille Faraday stops dead in her tracks, a half-completed sandwich falling on top of the table. Her insides feel all knotted and bunched, twisted and threatening to surge, but she hasn’t eaten anything all day. Absentmindedly she moves to wipe her hands, before putting them behind her back.

“She should have came back…”

She suddenly has the reason for why Sakura was gone this morning. Whatever Elaine had done to her had stopped her from returning, safe and sound. No, even if Sakura was injured… Lucille was certain that she’d manage to find her way back. The fact she hadn’t meant…

Her mind goes towards the worst. No, even if it wasn’t the worst…

Lucille finally breathes, a sharp intake of air, and forces words out of her mouth.

“I’m sorry you had to be the bearer of bad news,” she says, hoping that it sounds sincere. She truly means it. But no amount of sincerity can outshine the dead affect in her words.

Still, Lucille Faraday has been raised to be a role model, someone people can turn to for hope in even the darkest days. Though her eyes naturally glisten and her hands tremble out of sight, nails digging into her palms from tightly clenched fists, her face is impassive, expressionless. She lies as naturally as breathing, and though she tries to delude herself, none of this is for Elise’s sake. It’s for her.

The emotion dwelling in her heart, that threatened to bleed out and break her fragile façade…

“I’m sorry Elise, I—I need a minute. Please. Need to think.”

How hypocritical of her to look down on Subaru, like that.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille Faraday
    “She should have came back…”
    Words Elise dreaded to hear. She felt yet another metaphorical rusty nail impale her heart. Sakura had proven to be nothing but tenacious. If she hadn't found her way back to Lucille by now... it was probably safe to assume the worst. Even if she had survived her encounter with Elaine, and found some place to recover, a badly injured Inquisitor would surely be a tempting target for whatever might lurk in the woods. Like a pack of hungry wolves to a sickly deer.

“I’m sorry you had to be the bearer of bad news.”
    Elise took a deep breath in an effort to steady herself. It didn't help. She focused on scrubbing her hands. It helped. She wanted to keep scrubbing until she reached bone, but recognized that would be excessive. She wanted to wipe away the tears, but her hands still weren't clean. Her arms and clothes were still covered in blood. There was nothing she could do.

“I’m sorry Elise, I—I need a minute. Please. Need to think.”
    Elise nodded, but realized she was facing the sink and not Lucille, and thus the gesture was futile. Words were difficult, but she forced them out regardless.

"Of-of course."

"If-if there's anything I can do..." offered Elise, "I-I have a stash of ice cream in the back of the freezer. There-there should be some left."

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“Mm, sure.” I replied to Mercedes’ suggestion - even if, in reality, I did not want to waste another moment, but just set out right then.

With hurried steps, I made my way to my room.

But then...It’s not like I really needed any of my equipment, and I didn’t have any of the explosives prepared either.

With quick, but precise motions, I change into more...practical clothes for the situation, with the addition of a layer or armor under it all, along with the neatly made leather sheath that now held a pair of daggers - daggers that, after today, I found to be rather ineffective. If I had something to hold against someone, then that was a part of my existence, and not some tiny decorated tools of murder.

Just as quickly, I threw a bunch of items out of, and into my backpack, and then, not wasting another moment, I left the room, with Gradient on my side - and the strange bird still following me around - and locked the door, then went over to Mercedes’ room - hoping that she too was ready to move out.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “Hmh. Does anyone have any experience with modern pharmaceuticals? I must admit, while I have some experience in folk herbs and whatnot, I’m pretty clueless when it comes to actually prescribing modern drugs. I was hoping we’d find a doctor or someone at least who’d be able to give us a hand with the brat, but if the entire place looks like this… Even if we find the medical storage of this place, would it be of any use to us?”
    There was an awkward silence as Caleb glanced at Gabi, the androgynous boy finally starting to catch his breath and recover from the brisk walk through the woods they had been on. However, the look that the two boys shared offered no advice in this situation. Caleb was an artist, and to him, matters medicinal like this were as strange as they were to Anna. And while Gabi said...

"... I can do... first aid..."

That was the extent of his skills, apparently. It was good if someone hurt their arm or got a cut to their thigh, but that was the extent of it. In a serious case like it was for the small, nameless girl, first aid was as good as nothing.

Which was why, after that awkward silence had stretched for a bit longer... it was ended by the most unexpected source - in other words, Travis Gagnon lifting his hand momentarily, gathering the attention of the people around him. With all eyes now on the thug-like boy, he still used his other arm to support the girl sleeping on his back, but with his other, he made a rather vague gesture. At the same time, the expression on his face was rather distant, and he kept his eyes aimed to the distant hospital, refusing to meet anyone's gaze.

"... I have. Hell, get me the right shit and I should be able to figure out what the hell's wrong with her, and perhaps even help her," Travis admitted. "I know I ain't got the look, but if there's one thing I know, it's this."

This, if anything, made the silence even deeper. Caleb even blinked at this sudden... confession? Revelation? Well, whatever it was, the rosy-haired artist blinked at it thrice like a surprised owl.

"--- Huh? Really? You?" Caleb asked, scratching his beanie awkwardly. "Well... I guess... with your background, drugs are something you know."

Travis, upon hearing that, snorted loudly and a sneer appeared on his face... though he looked genuinely amused for a second until he masked it.

"Yeah, something like that, smart-ass," Travis shot back, before looking at Anna and growing more serious. "In any case, if we find something there, I can make use of it. A 95% guarantee."

... He didn't sound like he was lying.

Which raised all sorts of questions in itself.

“Gabi, what does your "mutter" say about this place?”
    The androgynous boy shivered a bit, almost like the sudden question had startled him. Glancing around himself as if to see if anyone else was looking, a shadow passed by Gabi's face as he eventually leaned closer to Anna to answer her. While he had regained some of his stamina, the waif-like boy still looked as frail as ever. If a simple jog through the forest had gotten him this exhausted... what would happen if things turned to worst?

"...... N-nothing......" Gabi muttered, shaking his head with a slightly pained face. "...... She's been... angry... ever since that girl... was found......"

Caleb, who had been listening in on the conversation with one ear, cocked an eyebrow.

"Oh? Cesarina?" the artist asked.

--- Only for Gabi to shake his head again.

"......... No...... The other girl."

Blog Entries
    Vivienne Bianchi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne
    "Owl's Nest... Prushie... gone... I couldn't... had to run..."
    While the two boys had initially reacted with shock, Hwan jumping up from the rock he had been sitting and training his glare straight Vivienne while Travis stopped leaning and put his right hand in his pocket to ready something, the more the quiet girl spoke the calmer they got. Even the strange sensation that Vivienne had felt when the moment she presented herself - almost like every hair on her body was standing up thanks to static electricity - faded away in tandem with the softening stares of the two boys.

However, the news Vivienne brought weren't good... and that was exactly how the duo reacted.

"... Shit. Fuck! Goddammit! That dwarf too!?" Hwan growled, cursing heavily in his native tongue and kicking a stone from the forest floor into the bushes. "After the old fart paid me to look after her, too! It's like this whole place is testing my reputation and my skills! Fucking hell!"

Even though Hwan was known to be as big of a punk and a delinquent as Travis, still, hearing that young mouth swear so loudly and with such fury was... quite the sight. Perhaps that was why even Travis himself refained from exploding into expletives, instead choosing to look as dark and stormy as the sky yesterday and punching the tree behind him with such a force that the bark cracked loudly. Then, still wearing that same dangerous look in his eyes, Travis turned to look back at Vivienne.

"We're not heading back to Pinefall, and neither should you - especially in that shape," Travis replied. "The goddamn school is a death trap. A shitting bomb waiting to explode. As if three murders during the night wasn't enough, the world's gone insane. I was running from... something, I dunno. A fucking monster I guess. Meanwhile Hwan here had one of our classmates turn into a bloody psychopath. And it all seems to be tied to the school."

Hwan, who had finally managed to calm down a bit, nodded.

His eyes were now boring a hole through Vivienne, taking in the sight of her wounds and the blood on her clothes... and making a judgment based on that.

"... not to mention people keep disappearing there. You look elsewhere for a second and they're gone. Aleen. Souma. Subaru. All disappeared," Hwan said, his voice growing cold. "About half we're gone by the time we woke up. We included you and the dwarf in that count, by the way. Which brings us to my next point..."

Hwan's eyes flashed with fury that was held back.

And not figuratively - they literally started glowing with magenta shine and arcs of lightning-like energy crackled out of them.

The tree branches quivered around the area, and once again, Vivienne could feel her hairs stand up.

"... Where the hell were you? What did you do last night?"

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday, Hisa Momoi, Elise Pelltier & Vier Wolff

"Alright. Like, good going, being fast and efficient. Even if we don't wanna be, like, hasty, we still shouldn't dally."

About 10 minutes later, the group of seven girls (plus one bird) had gathered to the lobby of the dormitory once more, as promised. Each of them had gathered whatever items and equipment they needed, most obvious stuff being weaponry that hadn't before been there. For example, there were the daggers on Hisa's waist, or even more obvious, the grand great sword that Lucille was carrying. Just about everyone had dressed more appropriately to the situation as well, Aleen now sporting hiking clothes and Mercedes... well, Mercedes was Mercedes, no matter the situation. Or so one would have expected.

--- So every cliche in the book would have dictated.

But instead of yet another grand display of fashionable, expensive clothing, the starlet was wearing a simple white turtleneck, thick cargo pants, combat boots and fingerless leather gloves, along with a slim yet warm-looking black jacket with a fur-trimmed hood. A small, simple-yet-efficient backpack with one strap on her back contained nothing but survival tools, as Hisa had found out, from fire starters to utility knives. On her hip hung a leather holster, but just one look at it told that it contained no gun. As the actress had said to the scarred girl when they met at her door, it was because "Gawd, I couldn't let anyone see me with something as lame as a gun. Like, duh." And that had been the end of the explanation.

But, now they were all here. All ready. Food and equipment in tow, and with a new mission ahead of them.

"So, uh... like, correct me if I get something wrong here, but since Miss Robot over here is taking all this in stride, she's, like, somehow connected to the same stuff as you guys, right?" Mercedes started, gesturing vaguely towards Vier. "Which means, if we're about to trust her and leave her here, we need to, like, put someone to babysit her. Otherwise that "Universal Soldier" spiel of her's gonna get everyone dead."

Folding her arms across her chest, Mercedes aimed her eyes at the rest of the group, and everyone present could practically see the gears in her head turning some 200 miles per hour, striking sparks as they did.

"We got our small forward in Elise here - if we decide to split up, she's important to either team. Though, like, I'd hate to break the dream heal team we've got going on here, especially if Hisa's guy is that badly wounded. Lucy's our power forward - the girl's boasted about her muscle, so let's, like, give her the chance to prove them. Our dashing action heroine's best bet is to protect us frail maidens or the like," Mercedes suddenly started, interrupting her speech to give Lucille a wink and an impish grin. "Next... lessee... dunno about you, Ms. Robot but you got, like, obvious shooting guard air about you. All gun-wielders do. So that leaves, Hisa - our obvious center. Anyone gets too close, our girl's gonna shut them down quick. Just keep her safe and we're golden."

... It was quite the surprise.

Well, not a surprise, considering how it had turned out Mercedes was much smarter than she let on. But to spend less than half a day with some people and to be able to assess their "team positions" with such ease... and to start making strategies based on that... it asked for more than just intelligence. It also required ability to read people, their strengths and their weaknesses, and even more than that... it required the ability to make complex guesswork and theories.

In the end, strategies were nothing but unproven theories.

But in the right hands, they could prove to be a deadly weapon.

So while the actress had no powers or weaponry to make her a deadly threat... her mind was a force all of its own."

"H-hey! That's all well and good for the weirdos - no offense guys - but what about us, Mercedes? Me, you and Graddy," Aleen asked, huffing and putting her hands on her hips. "I did as you asked and checked if Pyry's car was on the lot... and it is... but how's that gonna help us? Whether we split up or head out together, it's not like I'm gonna be much of a help."

Gradient, who had been watching from the sidelines, let out an odd noise and patted Aleen on the head encouragingly - causing the bluehead to blush a bit and try to hide her smile.

Mercedes, on the other hand, didn't bother to hide her crocodile-like grin.

"Like, we might be total bit characters compared to these guys, but still... we've got our own roles to play, Heiress," the actress replied. "I might be able to make three-pointers, but heck, I can direct the flow of the game like a point guard. Meanwhile you, Aleen... you've got the eyes of a paparazzi, right? Like, use them. Spot when somebody's hurt, acting weird, not being themselves... and inform others. Like, like a coach. That's my take on it, anyways. Meanwhile, Gradient here... well, she's obviously our team mascot."

Mercedes eyes fell upon Gradient, and her grin grew much more wicked in magnitude.

In response, the mysterious girl tilted her head in confusion.

"... She might look fluffy on the outside, but, like, everybody knows the mascots are freaking bombs waiting to explode. More dangerous than any player."

And with that, the actress turned back towards the group as a whole, eyes resting on the rest of the girls.

"So, how's it going to be? Will we split up? Or will we take both cars? And if we split up, who's going where?"

It was time for decisions.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; January 3rd, 2020 at 03:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    John Dove
    [BGM]

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “You own me and my gratitude. How can I be of assistance, then?”
    A sigh.

Deep, slightly exasperated sigh, almost like one an adult could give towards child and their attempts at being a grown-up. A certain type of amusement, bemusement and kind fatigue that was often associated when it came to dealing with a precocious kid - that was the way that the Shadow of the Moon regarded John and his question. It was not to make fun of him, no, but it was a natural reaction that the nosferat let out before she caught herself. Thus she didn't even bother hiding it, and let the emotion out in full.

Then those crimson eyes gazed upon John, and even though the being before him was shorter than her, she felt much taller, much grander.

Such were the illusions of the night.

"... You make a mistake, Boy. I did not save you in order to gain something. I did not kill these two for a gain of my own. I am a force of nature, and just as the face of the moon changes on each night, so does my whims," the Tyrant continued, quiet yet firm. "Back then you did not have a wish of your own, and yet I did appear. I did as I pleased, not asking you a thing. Boy... I did not make you my property because I so wished - you merely gazed upon the moon for too long, too deep, and were driven mad. Hah... almost like you were a certain Roman Emperor from long ago. Truly, you were affixed with lunacy in its proper, true meaning. I... did not mean for that to come to pass. In truth, it was a mistake of mine, one I cannot take back now. But now that you have become mine, so shall it be. That is that."

The lunar authority, hidden by the shadows of the forest, sighed yet again - yet this time it was a sound more distant. Her steps took her away from John, rounding the hillside where they had fought, and her bare freet gently stepped upon the grass. At the same time she spread her arms, taking in the night-time air and the cold light of the moon high up above. An entity whose reality was not that of planet Earth, but that of the celestial object known as Moon... right now, John Dove was, in a sense, almost like Neil Armstrong.

He was so close to the moon he could touch it.

"--- You were not the reason I saved you. You were the cause, but you were not the reason. The reason was, well... it is quite simple, really. Once upon a time, so long ago that it feels like another life, a very important person told me something," the Lunar Shadow continued. "... He told me that if I ever saw a child crying... if I ever saw a child in grave danger... if I ever saw a child about to lose their innocence... I should save them. As someone whose power is vast, I had the responsibility to do so. Thus, on that moonlit beach, the conditions were met. You were a child, Boy. You were in dire need of being saved. You were withing my light. And to uphold my promise to him, I did as was asked. What happened afterwards... well, that is the fault of us both, is it not? I lingered for too long, and you gazed at the moon until you broke from the inside."

She shook her head, the shadow of the lunar authority laughing a quiet, subdued laugh.

"The charming gaze of vampires is the same beauty of the moon that can drive a man mad, Boy. For we all carry a reflection of the moon in our eyes, wherever we go," her words were amused... and a little saddened. "Though that begs the question..."

The eyes turned back to look at John.

And indeed.

In their spledid crimson... he could see the shine of the moon, reflected at him.

--- And all of its beauty.

"... Did you spy on the near side? Or did you spy on the far side? Which of the two did your gaze land upon?"

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes West
    "So, uh... like, correct me if I get something wrong here, but since Miss Robot over here is taking all this in stride, she's, like, somehow connected to the same stuff as you guys, right? Which means, if we're about to trust her and leave her here, we need to, like, put someone to babysit her. Otherwise that "Universal Soldier" spiel of her's gonna get everyone dead."
    “...”

If I was the result of some ‘Super Soldier’ project, then I was definitely a failure. While I was superior to say… a regular special operations soldier, I was far from infallible. If anything the various blood samples they took back then, would be used to create the actual 'Super Soldier.’ The only question would be if they were going to keep them human, grant them Turnside abilities like ESP, or even turn them into androids. Also they would keep a closer eye on any conscripted members or more hopefully volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes
    "We got our small forward in Elise here - if we decide to split up, she's important to either team. Though, like, I'd hate to break the dream heal team we've got going on here, especially if Hisa's guy is that badly wounded. Lucy's our power forward - the girl's boasted about her muscle, so let's, like, give her the chance to prove them. Our dashing action heroine's best bet is to protect us frail maidens or the like. Next... lessee... dunno about you, Ms. Robot but you got, like, obvious shooting guard air about you. All gun-wielders do. So that leaves, Hisa - our obvious center. Anyone gets too close, our girl's gonna shut them down quick. Just keep her safe and we're golden."
    Small forward? Power forward? Shooting Guard? Center? I was entirely unfamiliar with the terms that Mercedes West were using, but I could figure out her meaning roughly from context. Elise Pelltier is well-balanced. Lucille Faraday is our melee vanguard. Mercedes categorized me as a ranged specialist. Hisa Momoi was the only one I couldn’t really place my finger on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen King
    "H-hey! That's all well and good for the weirdos - no offense guys - but what about us, Mercedes? Me, you and Graddy. I did as you asked and checked if Pyry's car was on the lot... and it is... but how's that gonna help us? Whether we split up or head out together, it's not like I'm gonna be much of a help."
    I looked at this ‘Graddy.’ If there was anyone, I didn’t feel too inclined to place myself into harm’s way for. It would be her. She wasn’t a classmate. I would remember someone like her. Especially since I noticed the disappearance of Elizaveta Vyraj and her subsequent replacement by Xylia Pheme. ...Unless, I changed my memories myself... If that’s the case, then I would have to defend her as strongly as the rest of my classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes West
    "So, how's it going to be? Will we split up? Or will we take both cars? And if we split up, who's going where?"
    “I vote that we stay together. This isn’t exactly a stealth mission where we would need to be subtle in our approach. The current situation seems to be more open in its conflicts considering that we have normals involved now. Moving together, I could drive Pyry’s car and help find or hide tracks,” I took stock of our current supplies and how long we could operate together, “But abandoning the dorms with its supplies can be difficult unless everyone wants to rely on our foraging skills. So if we do split, I’m volunteering to defend the dorms. I can probably keep the 2nd floor safe from hostiles until the forward team returns.”

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“Stealth mission? Tracking? Foraging?” I echoed the things that Vier said, and couldn’t help but end up laughing - but mostly just out of misery and because of the absurdity of the situation.

“Vier, please. It’s just about picking someone up, and bringing them back here. Just me and Mercedes...and well, Gradient, would be enough for that, “I explained while my patience was slowly slipping away, “Keeping the dorms in check would be a lot more important, provides a place to stay and we’ve more than enough supplies here, not to mention that all the others who are away would probably return here. Abandoning this place doesn’t feel too smart.”

I gave my backpack a tug, adjusted the sheath on my waist, then, with a sigh, turned towards the door.

“Anyways, that’s just my opinion, and I’m done trying to convince anyone about anything. Already wasting too much time here.”

I guess this is why I preferred working alone, or with someone like Angelica. Getting a makeshift group of strangers to cooperate and coming to an agreement when everyone is so different and has a wholly different view and approach to the situation is just frustrating and borderline impossible.

“I’m going, is all I know,” I looked back at Gradient for a moment, and gestured towards the door with my head, “I’ll wait at the car. For like a minute. That’s about all the patience I have left.”

With that, I walked out of the lobby, and headed towards the parking lot, where Mercedes’ car was.

Blog Entries

“You ask me a question I do not know how to begin to answer,” John quickly answers. “As for my question, if there is indeed nothing you want or require from me, then let us speak of the matter no further.”

He properly expressed his gratitude and his willingness to do something in return. It matters not to him that she did not do so out of the kindness of her heart. It matters not that she did it on a whim, or at the request of another. Her personal circumstances are of no importance. He is alive and standing on this place because of her. That is enough reason to be grateful. She may not understand this, but John Dove will not be the one to make her understand. From his part, he has fulfilled both his intention to express gratitude and his self-assigned responsibility to offer compensation. With that behind him, there a number of other matters requesting his attention.

“The thing is: I have no issue with being bound to you. If my understanding is correct, I cannot have issue, even if I wanted to. However,” he continues, pulling out the “artifact”. “I believe I should do something about this. If not for myself, for the others this could inconvenience.”

John Dove cares little for others, but he certainly cares for avoiding unnecessary complications.

“Also, and I may be grasping at straws here, but would you know anything else about what is happening in this town? I can tell it is not directly related to you and me, or rather, it feels like there are multiple matters unfolding in the same place.”

He knows there are at least two different killers. The deaths of Cesarina and the unknown girl are too different to suggest anything else but two wholly separate events.

“For that matter, the Turnside claims to have the intent to keep itself away from the eyes of the ‘ordinary’ world, yet I have witnessed more of the occult in the past two days than I did in all the years since I first met you.”

John might or might not be a little bothered by the Turnside “shoving itself down his throat” (as “they” say), and then accusing him of ‘dabbling in matters beyond his ken’.

“I also would like to examine Elaine Winters’ belongings for clues, as well as the cabin Ramalsaqr was using for anything that could be useful. I still need to make my way to the sheriff’s, and it would not be prudent to be in these woods when true night falls, in any case.”

He did not say the entire truth about Elaine’s belongings, but John Dove does not share his thoughts with people he decides have no need for them. Of course, this whole time he has remained fixated on the one who owns him heart and soul, and her inhuman eyes of transfixing beauty. Looking away is simply not a possibility. Between looking at her, so beautiful and true, and looking at anything else in the world in shades of grey, there is not anything remotely like a choice. His attachment to her might be closer to religious worship than to the desire a man may have for a woman, or perhaps she is the replacement his heart has chosen for the family lost. How much of this is unconscious choice and how much the inflicted “lunacy” is up to discussion.

“But I am certain you know as well as I do that I cannot get started with any of those things while lost in your eyes. Would you be so kind?”

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"In any case, if we find something there, I can make use of it. A 95% guarantee."
    Anna merely looked silently at the blue-haired thug with inscrutable eyes.

Travis Gagnon was not normal. His earlier attentiveness was uncharacteristic enough for a supposed “thug”, but this took it over the top. There was no way a random dopehead from the streets would have enough medical knowledge to diagnose something, nevermind playing pharmacist. And with a “95% guaranteed”? That was beyond something that could be explained away with something as simple as “I was dealing drugs in the past”-type of catch-all.

Well, it was convenient, at least. Though, of course, it could simply be a lie to lure them all into the hospital, but his concern for the girl seemed sincere enough. So for the time being, Anna was willing to give the boy the benefit of the doubt at least.

It still didn’t make the… complex in front of them any less foreboding from the looks of it.

"......... No...... The other girl."
    “The one dead at the main campus?” Anna’s eyes narrowed for a moment. “Did you know who it was, Gabi?”

Speaking of the blonde boy, he still looked far too exhausted. If there was any running to be done the German boy would be back to his earlier state in mere moments. And with the small girl on top of Travis’s shoulders slowing them down as well… It would be a hard run at best. No. Better to call it impossible under the current circumstances. And with this mist fogging up everything… If one of them, especially Gabi, got separated and ended up getting lost on the grounds…

Then again, the alternative was that the girl would probably die before they actually managed to reach the town proper. Even if they did make it, this was the place best equipped to alleviate her condition anyway. And like hell would Anna allow someone to die because she herself was too gutless.

“Gagnon. You and I will go inside. We’ll find the medical storage, get what we need, and then leave this blasted place behind us.”

“Everyone else, including the girl, will stay right here.” Anna’s eyes flickered over to meet with Caleb’s. “If you see anything out of the ordinary coming at you, that you can’t handle, you grab that brat over there leg it, get it, Highlander? Whether we're here or not, it doesn’t matter.”

With a brisk pace, seemingly completely unheeding of the oppressive atmosphere of End’s Mercy, Anna walked over to the steel gate and casually pushed it open with her hand, before turning to the Canadian ruffian once more.

“Oh, and Gagnon. We stick to each other like glue in there, with no exceptions. If we ever get separated and can’t immediately find each other, you come back here immediately.”

“If you end up dying in this place, that brat won't make it anyway. So don’t go throwing your life away on some half-baked goose chase on your own, arusaadav?”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa Momoi
    “Stealth mission? Tracking? Foraging?

Vier, please. It’s just about picking someone up, and bringing them back here. Just me and Mercedes...and well, Gradient, would be enough for that. Keeping the dorms in check would be a lot more important, provides a place to stay and we’ve more than enough supplies here, not to mention that all the others who are away would probably return here. Abandoning this place doesn’t feel too smart.

Anyways, that’s just my opinion, and I’m done trying to convince anyone about anything. Already wasting too much time here.

I’m going, is all I know. I’ll wait at the car. For like a minute. That’s about all the patience I have left.”

I decided at this moment, I did not like Hisa Momoi’s attitude to the current scenario. It was too optimistic that their trip would go perfectly. Taking a car drags too much attention. Walking, while safer for the rescuer group, makes the trip longer and our rescuee might be dead before they get there.

“Before any of you also decide to stay together or split, I want you to know that I’m mentioning all of those things because I’ve been considering the worst case scenarios. What if Hisa is wrong and she gets attacked enroute to Pyry. What if Pyry is dead by the time she arrives there. What if the dorms gets captured while we’re gone. What if the away team never returns. What if the away team returns and someone else captures this place anyway despite the home team's efforts.”

Unlike Hisa Momoi, I wasn’t restricted by emotions. If anything ‘I’ forced myself to become a monster of logic. I intellectually knew that I liked someone here, but I can’t feel on just intellectual knowledge.

“The only reason why I’m suggesting we stick together is because an arrow by itself won’t accomplish much. A group of arrows are harder to break and can take out multiple targets.”

I hated Japanese as a language, but they certainly did have some good sayings.

Blog Entries
    John Dove

The shadow turned away, directing her gaze once more to the far-away moon.

"Nothing can be done for the gift that's been given. It is a symbol for you now. It may carry death with it, but so does everything in this world, Boy. For something to be close to death is the nature of every living thing... and, in all honesty, that trinket pales in comparison to you yourself, Boy. Thanks to what happened that day, you are closer to death than most... much closer. You walk in the valley of the shadow of death," she spoke quietly, yet firmly. "It may have been how you gazed at the moon which drove you mad and your world grey, but... I wonder if that was it all? No normal human should be able to gaze at me so intently as you did. Perhaps there is a reason as to why death gathers and swirls around you so strongly, Boy."

She lifted her right hand, and for a moment, she gazed at the long nails and the talon like fingers that were quietly returning to their more slender, normal, even humanoid shape. At the same time, the night-time wind picked up once more, it's soft breeze blowing through the forest. Clouds had started to gather up and were swallowing up the full moon above.

"I wonder... if you assigned a color to something and made yourself see it... just what would that color mean...?"

It was just idle whispers of the night.

Nothing more than that.

Vague ideas that she presented to herself, ruminating on could-bes and what-ifs.

"In any event, Boy... as you suspect, the events of this place have naught to do with me. Indeed it is rare that the Turnside would appear in such a way, so blatantly and so determined to drag passers-by to its depth... but at the same time, it feels almost as if that is the purpose here. Like it was fated to happen, no matter how one tries to stop it," the Shadow of the Moon continued. "A forgotten town at the edge of the world is a barrier in itself, Boy, and as long as the influence does not spread, as long as it becomes self-contained and does not contaminate the environment, well... who knows how the World does react? But make no mistake, these events are not a mere coincidence."

Those crimson eyes narrowed as she gazed into the distance, to the town that was bathing under the moonlight while veiled in the heavy shadows of the night. Set against a backdrop such as that, John could easily see that now, with her monstrous shadow gone, the figure ahead of him... was, in the end, quite small - almost fragile and ephemeral. A far cry from the monster she had been not too long ago.

"Your own doom may be unavoidable at this point, but pay attention until the very last hearbeat. One never knows what might happen in the grand scheme of the universe," she spoke, before heaving a quiet sigh. "But... yes, indeed. The night is not yet, and every moment I keep it alive taxes me. Boy... do what you must. Do what you feel is right."

She turned back.

Her red eyes bore into John.

And a for a fleeting moment, he could almost imagine a gleaming grin on her face - one with sharp canine teeth.

"... We can have tea in the afterlife once you are done."

And with that...

... She was gone.

Just as the night.

Just as the darkness.

Just as the moon.

------- Leaving John Dove alone in the forest.

Once againa so far, far away fom the starlit sky.

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

John Dove: Friendship Rank Raised!

John Dove
    Phase: Afternoon Phase
    Weather: Ovecast

The supernatural night was gone, and instead of it, there was only an overcast sky... and the sad remains of the battle that had been waged here, far away from the road. Both Elaine Winters and Ramia Ramalsaqr had had their last stand here... and now, only John Dove remained. Judging from the position of the sun in the sky (though it was hard to make out thanks to the heavy blanket of grey clouds in-between) it must have been well-past noon, straight into the afternoon at this point.

In othe words, he had spent way more in that fictional night that he had realized.

Still... now that it had ended...

--- Wasn't there something he had wanted to do?

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

“Oh, and Gagnon. We stick to each other like glue in there, with no exceptions. If we ever get separated and can’t immediately find each other, you come back here immediately. If you end up dying in this place, that brat won't make it anyway. So don’t go throwing your life away on some half-baked goose chase on your own, arusaadav?”
    "Yeah, aardvark, got it," Travis snarked as he set the kid on his back to the ground, where Caleb helped her into a more comfortable position. "I'm not the type to go risking my balls for a ballbuster like you, so believe me - first sign of trouble, I'll be hightailing it outta there."

Cackling a bit to himself, the Canadian fixed his jacket on his shoulders took a good look at the hospital and its gate, where Anna had already left to. Behind him, Caleb had finished making sure the nameless girl was alright, and stood up from his squatting position as well. That only left Gabi, and while the pale boy had not answered Anna's question with anything more than a shake of his head, at least he was slowly regaining his breath. That meant that the two who were to be left behind to watch over the small patient were ready... as so was Travis.

What he wasn't ready for though, apparently, was Caleb suddenly extending his fist towards him with a stern smile on his face.

"Well, she says that. But Red Riding Hood over there is a bit of a hothead. Keep her out of trouble, will you?" Caleb asked, glancing towards Anna. "Not to the point of risking yourself. But make sure she doesn't take unnecessary risks. You are a scoundrel, so should be easy, right?"

Travis stared at the fist for a moment... before snickering and bumping it with his own, if a bit forcefully.

"... Got it. I'll make sure Scarecrow doesn't up neck deep in shit just cause she's gotta play the hero," Travis answered, turning away from the group. "Catch you on the flip side, Montjoy."

Caleb nodded.

"You too, Gagnon."

And with that, the two were off, like a couple of spelunkers heading into some sort of ancient temple. Only the "temple" in this case was a hospital that didn't look as much abandoned as it just felt... empty. No movement, no lights, only the ever-present cold mist or fog that hung over the place like a heavy cape. Once he reached the gates, Travis gladly let Anna take the lead. However, he hadn't forgotten what he had promised, because he did stick to her side, only a step or two behind the girl. At the same time his eyes scanned the yard of the building carefully, trying to take note of anything that might be hiding in the dark corners.

"Seriously... as if this town wasn't creepy enough..." Travis muttered, more to himself than to Anna. "Just why the hell did you come here, Moose...?"

Clearly, to himself.

Because whoever he was talking about wasn't familiar to Anna.

In any event, it took but a moment for the two to cross the yard and to find themselves at the entrance of the hospital. The heavy-duty doors with glass panes were open, just like the gate, though this time it must have been a little different. These were automated doors, ones that would swing open when the buzzer on the side was pressed (and when confirmation was given from the inside), meaning that to make them ajar like that, one would actually have to cut the power to them. Travis raised his eyebrows at this realization, but didn't say anything. Instead he pulled the door open and gestured for Anna to enter first - then quickly following just behind the girl.

Inside, the coldness of the fog hadn't permeated the building, but the empty corridors did feel just as uncomfortable. Judging from the state of the lobby, people had been here earlier today or yesterday. Few hospital beds with wheels were in places where they clearly hadn't been left just for the sake of being out of the way - same was true for a couple of wheelchairs. Not only that, but there was no clear layer of dust, meaning that people had been active in this building not too long ago.

--- Suddenly, there was a sound of a click, and the lights of the lobby lit up.

"Huh. I guess there's electricity after all. Fancy that," Travis commented.

Luckily, the lights hadn't come on because of some unknown force, but because the thug had simply flicked the light switch on the nearby wall. It might have been something that alerted anyone to their presence at the lobby, but it was still a better choice than to trawl through the place in complete darkness. However, there did seem to be another reason as well for Travis's actions. After all, when he had switched on the lights, the boy rounded the corner and entered behind the reception counter in the lobby, before bending down a bit and putting his hands on the table.

"... Now let's see if we can figure out where's what..." Travis muttered as his hands pressed another switch.

And suddenly, Anna could hear an odd, mechanical hum - the sound of computer coming alive.

In other words, the computer used by the nurses who were in attendance at the lobby.

... Surprisingly clever thing for Travis to check, perhaps?

Blog Entries
    Phase: Afternoon

She is gone.

She is gone, and it is almost crushing, the difference her absence makes. However, John no longer feels the shackling need to look for her. He already found her, and told her what he wanted to tell her. That is enough. Her existence is still the most precious, and such she will always be, but at long last, John Dove can face the world beyond that person, in all its hollow greyness.

“That…is something I will look forward to,” he says softly in response to her parting words. With that, he turns his attention to the corpse of Elaine Winters.

It is time to move on.

John Dove lacks the time and the will to grant Elaine a proper burial. Everybody returns to the earth in one way or another, so he deems it enough to place her on a proper, straight position on the grass, hands clasped on her stomach and covered by her own hat. Of course, that modicum of decency loses all meaning when he unabashedly and unapologetically takes her wallet and rummages through it.

John did not pay much attention, but it is clear to him that Elaine Wainters was looking for someone. A male subject is about as much as he can recall. Possibly a male relative, although the biological connection, if any, remains in question.

John Dove wants to find this person. If he still lives, John would like to find him and tell him about Elaine Winters, a girl who lived and died honestly and proudly. Of course, this could also result in John’s death, for the one who took Elaine’s life manifested before her because of him, but he will deal with that when (and if) the time comes. It might be a pointless, fruitless search, but this is the boy who spent ten years chasing after the Moon’s shadow. Thus, he goes through the wallet in search of clues: a photo, a note, anything that could support this new objective.

Elaine was also carrying a stake of all things. John takes it almost as an afterthought. Well aware of what his cherished Moon-shadow truly is, he could make arguments both for and against the effectiveness of a stake through her chest. Of course, stabbing her with a stake is not within his plans for the moment, but with his luck, it is far from impossible that another vampire is walking the streets of Road’s End. Better safe than sorry, and all that.

After that, his eyes turn to what is left of Ramia Ramalsaqr. John Dove would not know what to do with something like a sniper’s rifle, but the girl also carried a more reasonable handgun, he remembers. However, is there still anything salvageable in that mess of a corpse? Actually, did she still hold any weapons after she was flung who knows how far away and then chose to transform into the imitation gorgon?

Well, he will not find out by standing there doing nothing. His list of short-term objectives assembles as follows:

1. Check Ramia’s corpse.
    2. Check the hut atop the hill for further information and items of use.
    3. Hurry to the sheriff’s office to report the crimes at Pinefall.
    4. Ensure the sheriff informs the hospital, or do so himself if necessary.
    5. Find Mercedes West.

He is in a hurry, but he also wants to believe he knows prudence. After all, it’s not like he has forgotten the glimpse he caught just before Ramia Ramalsaqr wrecked Elaine’s car.

Like his cherished monster said, John Dove is keeping his eyes—and his mind—well open. In this town dripping with the Turnside, it is impossible to be ready for everything, but he would rather not be taken by surprise.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday, Hisa Momoi, Elise Pelltier & Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “I’m going, is all I know. I’ll wait at the car. For like a minute. That’s about all the patience I have left.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Before any of you also decide to stay together or split, I want you to know that I’m mentioning all of those things because I’ve been considering the worst case scenarios. What if Hisa is wrong and she gets attacked enroute to Pyry. What if Pyry is dead by the time she arrives there. What if the dorms gets captured while we’re gone. What if the away team never returns. What if the away team returns and someone else captures this place anyway despite the home team's efforts. The only reason why I’m suggesting we stick together is because an arrow by itself won’t accomplish much. A group of arrows are harder to break and can take out multiple targets.”
    There was a sharp sigh, one emanating from Mercedes. She was pinching the bridge of her nose, looking like she was holding back on some more acidic words that might slip from her lips if she wasn't being careful. After all, she had promised to try to act better now that she and Hisa had more or less made up... and from the looks of it, she was trying very hard to keep that promise... even if it wasn't easy to the naturally catty actress.

"Hisa, darling... like, even if you leave now, even if you wait just one minute, even if you, like, take a bike and cycle as fast as you can... we'll still be faster with a car. Especially if I'm driving," Mercedes said, flashing a slightly scary smile when mentioning herself behind a wheel. "So, like, cool your jets for a moment. If we don't play smart, we might not play at all. You want to save your guy, right?"

The starlet narrowed her eyes at the scarred girl.

"--- Then play smart. That's the best route to succeed."

As if to agree with what the actress had said, Gradient suddenly began to move. She walked over to the doorway, just as Hisa was making her way out of the building... and set herself between the girl and the exit. It wasn't to stop her from heading out, not really. Just by looking at her eyes it was clear that Gradient wasn't about to try to physically stop Hisa. If anything, she simply wanted her friend to wait and consider the situation a bit more, or as Mercedes put it, "play smart".

The situation around the school had already been shown to be dire. At this point it wasn't all the same who would go where, or if they split-up or stayed in the same place.

And that's why Aleen, who had been watching from the sidelines piped up.

"U-umm... this is totes not my area of expertise, but... guys? If we're rescuing Pyry, who's badly wounded, shouldn't we send those who can heal him up? Like Elise and Hisa? And if we want to defend the dorm, shouldn't we have those be here that are good at protecting stuff? Like Lucille and... y-you, Vier," Aleen proposed, stumbling a bit when she mentioned her friend... and refusing to look Vier in the eyes. "Gradient's like totes gonna go with Hisa here, and they need Mercedes to drive, so that'd mean... well, it would get crowded in the car, right? So in that case, I'd better stay here... I think."

Looking a bit unsure, Aleen took a step forward, determination still glimmering in her red eyes as she gestured towards everyone.

"W-what'cha think 'bout that plan?"

For some reason... a somewhat proud smirk rose to Mercedes's face, even if she tried to hide it.

Blog Entries
    John Dove
    Phase: Afternoon Phase
    [BGM]

The forest and the sky above were silent when John poured through Elaine's wallet once he had done his best to preserve some of the girl's dignity, even in death. In the depths of the old leather wallet, only few things caught his eye. First, there were some 30 dollars in the wallet itself, along with a driver's license from Wisconsin. Then there was an ID that, when looked at a bit closer, was clearly fake considering the age presented in it. Indeed, the only things that truly caught John's attention were the photos that were stored in the wallet, ones that showed both Elaine and people John didn't recognize.

The first picture was of a young man, perhaps in his early 20s, with purposefully messed up hair and a cocky looking smile. He had a thick, fair hair, and about a days growth of stubble around his jaw. A pair of scars went from the left corner of his jaw to just below his eye, about even with his nose. In the second picture there was apparently a younger Elaine, a skinny girl about 13 years old, proudly holding up what looked like a large fish. With her were a younger version of the man in the first picture without scars or a stubble, along with a similar looking boy to the two of them, wearing glasses and a chagrined expression due to the tail whacking him in the face. Looming behind them was a lion of a man, bearded and beaming, short haired and with a battered pair of glasses, his face almost a sneak peek to the oldest boy’s in several years, battle-scarred and care-worn, the set of his jawline and his proud posture echoing down to Elaine Winters’ last stand.

These must have been what John were looking for - some sort of clues to the missing family she had mentioned.

But, that was the extent of it. Just a few unknown faces to go by.

After that... it was the time to turn one's attention to the hulking corpse nearby.

Ramia Ramalsaqr's corpse, as it turned out, could only barely be thought as that of a human being anymore. Not only was her form that of a colossal woman with a serpentine lower body, not only had her hair turned into monstrous snakes with hungering maws that were now silent, but her nature itself... it was more ancient, more monstrous, than even the Moonshadow had been. Indeed, she was more akin to Elaine's transformation, though John could feel that there was some stark difference. While Elaine's transformation had happened because of the full moon (apparently) and while she had seemed much more... unwilling for it to happen... this was something else. Ramia's shape was not misshapen or sickly in the least. If she was whole right now, she might have looked almost like a statue from Ancient Greece, even.

But she was not whole. She was pierced by tens upon tens of black stakes - sharp and long and terrible. All of them had emerged from inside her, turning her monstrous body into a pile of gore that was sickening to wade through.

And, as it turned out, wading through it was mostly for nothing. John found nothing of worth upon that massive pile of mangled flesh. No weaponry, no equipment, nothing to hint what the true story behind the dusky-skinned girl was. However... there was something that the boy noticed. It was somethin akin to a tattoo, one that had made it out mostly intact. A picture inscribed to Ramia's flesh that had apparently survived even her transformation. A tattoo of a snake, or a dragon, eating its own tail... an Ouroboros, in other words.

--- Whatever that meant, however, was a mystery for now. Though it did bring up some ideas from old lore that John had poured through.

Especially when combined with what Ramia had spoken of immortality...

Still.

The next logical place to investigate was where Ramia had fallen after the spell from the Moonshadow had thrown her into the woods. It was easy enough to find the small, crater-shaped indent on the forest floor some 30 meters away from the place. Combing through it, John happened to find one of the things he had been keeping an eye out for. It was a revolver, the same Colt Anaconda that Ramia had been using to interrogate him and Elaine, and checking its chamber it was still half-loaded. Three silver bullets could still be seen in the cylinder, and on the ground there was another speedloader with six normal bullets, abandoned and forgotten. Perhaps there was no need for them when the girl had turned into the serpentine monstrosity that she became.

Finally, after looking through the "landing site", John headed up the hill to the small make-shift bunker that Ramia had built herself. It turned out to be nothing but a shallow, wide hole-in-the-ground where the child soldier could lay on her belly and watch the road ahead, and where she had sniped Elaine's car that still smoldered in the distance. In here, John found some more equipment that -while not his forte- was easy enough to understand.

First of all, there was the sniper rifle itself. A big weapon standing on a bipod, one that John could have expected a character from a movie to wield... not someone he had called his classmate not long ago. Indeed, the thing looked more like a small cannon than an actual rifle, confirming the suspicion of an anti-material rifle that both him and Elaine had had before. Still, John did not know much more of the thing - his knowledge was not related to guns after all, and while he could see the words RT-20 carved to the stock of the gun, it didn't help him that much. There was an oddly-shaped box next to the gun, though, each of the 8 bullets there being presented individually and easily accessible, meaning the gun was most likely a single-shot rifle.

Other than that, the only thing that John found on the hilltop was an odd clay tablet, about the size of his fist, resting in the dirt. Whatever that had been was a mystery, but considering he had seen a similar tablet at the place where "Ubon" had faded away after her corpse was revealed to be an illusion, one could deduce what this tablet had once represented. Other than that, there was some sort of camouflage cloak, a pack of Lucky Bastard cigarettes on the ground, a zippo lighter with a snake motif carved onto the silvery surface...

... And some more weaponry.

Namely, three handgrenades. Two landmines with odd symbols of unknown origin running through them. One combat knife. Three grenade-like canisters of some sort. A military-style water bottle, though when John took a small whiff it was clear from the stinging sensation in his nose that whatever was in it was not water. And, finally...

A small pouch. One with nothing but a single picture inside.

A picture of Ramia, standing atop an old-looking tank wearing military fatigues (though having thrown the jacket off thanks to the apparent heat). The girl in the picture looked younger, probably about 12 or 14 years old, and with her were about 15 kids of the same age. Most of those kids were just a blur, meaningless faces that didn't really register to John, but one of them... one of them was familiar.

--- One of them was a green-haired Italian girl that had been his classmate, looking mighty proud next to the tank.

A girl who looked as much of an arms-dealer as the rest of the children looked like soldiers.

Wait.

No.

That wasn't the only thing that he noticed.

Taking a good look at the picture, John could see one more thing that made his eyebrow rise.

Namely... there was a reflection from the shining metal of the tank. Reflection of the cameraman, to be precise. Reflection of an uncouth, scruffy-looking man with a reddish-brown hair and a cigarette on his lips.

--- A man who looked exactly like a younger Redd Lewis.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; January 7th, 2020 at 03:20 PM.